Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
10 months ago

Is this the most exiting lens Fuji is making?

The few shots I have seen posted are way better than any other lens I can recall seeing the results from.

Is this the most exciting lens currently on the market?

Who plans to get one?

I am thinking XT1 and 56 1.2 is the Fuji X dream team!

Greg.

Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,473
Like?
Re: Who plans on getting the 56 1.2?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

I think I will pass on the 56/1.2 for what I would use it for I have other lenses that will work.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?
The sale price should not be to far away! ...... NT
No text.
 flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,712Gear list
Like?

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

The few shots I have seen posted are way better than any other lens I can recall seeing the results from.

Who plans to get one?

Greg.

I just picked up the 27mm & 23mm primes to play with. They'll keep me busy for the time being. Unless I have a rich uncle who dies suddenly, I'm leaning toward waiting to see what other primes Fuji comes up with in the near future. I don't see myself needing the extreme DOF the 56mm has to offer, and a nice 135mm equiv. prime would probably be much more useful to me.

justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?

I have sever case of GAS so am alway tempted. I have not decided on 56 f1.2 yet, but I am looking forward to trying it at The photography show on 1 march in Birmingham.

My reasons for hesitation are:
a) I have the 60mm macro, which I love except it is so slooow

b) 56mm f1.2 close focus distance 0.7m (28 inches) is not quite close enough for me as I sometime like to get in close to isolate details (and would prefer not to carry both 60mm & 56mm round)

c) 90mm f1.8 with at least 1:2 macro (provided it does not cripple AF speed at normal focus distances) would interest me more. 23mm / 35mm / 90mm combo would take me almost back 30 years to my olympus system OM-10, 28mm, 50mm, 135mm. & I did see Don McCullin favoured a 28mm / 135mm combo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psnp2vXblfQ)

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
In what way - "way better" ?

I'm curious why you feel this lens is "way better" than any other lens you can recall. Canon, Nikon, Olymous etc. all make some excellent lenses and whilst I find the Fuji to be be very good, I have seen just as good if not better with others. As further insult to the Fuji, lenses such as Canon's 85 f1.2 L can produce results that the Fuji can never equal, when used on full fat sensors,

Nick

PS In answer to your question, probably not because I don't do much , if any, portraiture and I have other lenses around that focal length that will suffice for me.

jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?

I will pass on this lens, although I'm sure it will be stellar as are other XF lenses.  I have a couple lenses that will suffice at that focal length for me.  I'm also waiting very patiently for the 10-24, very excited for this lens!

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +7 more
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?

Who plans to get one?

Greg.

I have had mine on pre-order since day one. For me the 35/85 combo was always my go to 2 lens combo in my news/film days. With my X100s this will make the perfect light weight travel kit (especially compared to 2 F-1's w/motor drives, 35f2 and 85f1.2). Throw on a 3 stop ND and I'll be good to go in almost any lighting situation

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 703
Like?

No. I shoot normal to wide. The kit zoom covers the very few times I want more length. And it offers a lot more flexibility. Very nice lens though.

Mikess1
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?

Patiently waiting on my pre order of the XT1 and 56 1.2 already have the 35mm sitting here but no body to put it one
--
http://500px.com/mikess1

Mikess1's gear list:Mikess1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,239Gear list
Like?

This lens is such a speciality lens you have to know you are doing portraits or need this focal length all the time.

The fuji 18-55, 55-200, 16-55, 55-140 mm are several lenses (some on the road map) that include the same focal in a different way.  The focal length of 55 mm and 56 mm are the same.

I am waiting for the 16-55 to see what that looks like first and go from there. I know I tend to grab a zoom first.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,626Gear list
Like?

I have the 650 mm f2.4.  It is such a good performer that I will wait on the 56 1.2.  OTH, I do want the 18-135.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?

oh, I would love to, but can't justify the expense. If I was professional photographer I would in a heartbeat.

nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
650 f2.4 ???
In reply to Jim Cassatt, 10 months ago

That must be enormous. I had a Nikon 600 f4 that looked like this ...

I can only imagine a lens more than 1 stop faster

Nick

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Renting

I'm renting the XT-1 56mm combo one month from now (preorder at lensrentals).

I plan on doing the same in the future with the EM-1 and the Nocticron, to see whether either these will be the holy grail of usability (for me) for candid portraits.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
I Am Waiting For My Pre-Order To Arrive At My Local Camera Shop (nt)
No text.
 wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +20 more
gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
Me, as soon as...

... more tests will be published and price will go a little lower. I have the 60 now, so...

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,921Gear list
Like?

It's a must have lens if you shoot wedding, event or portraiture.  Few self respecting dslr pros of such don't have an 85/1.2 or 85/1.4.  You can never get the same effect with a slower zoom lens.  I was kind of surprised when I first heard about this lens.  Fuji does mean business for their X-mount line even beyond my expectation.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
nspur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030Gear list
Like?

I planned to pass on the 10-24, 23 and 56. The 10-24 because I had a Sigma 12-24 on Canon 7D and really didn't use it much and in any case I have a CV 12, the Fuji 14 and a Samyang 16. The 23 because I prefer an EFOV of 40 so bought the 27. The 56 because I have the lovely 60 and like many of us I can't afford the 56 for the limited use it would get. I'm filling in prime gaps with Leica R 50/2, 90/2.8 and 135/2.8.

-- hide signature --

Nick Spurrier

nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1
Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?

I am definitely getting the 56mm. One of the benefits of the X-System is that Fujifilm is producing lenses that get the maximum out of the APS-C format. The 56mm is surely close to the Holy Grail for anyone that shoots primes, in my view. I don't know of a better APS-C or DX 85mm-equivalent lens.
Bring on the X-Series 90mm/1.8! I'll get that too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads