If you could only choose one: SEL50 or Sigma 60mm?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
dbarber996
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
If you could only choose one: SEL50 or Sigma 60mm?
8 months ago

Using an APS-C NEX, which one of these two lenses would you buy, if you could only have one?

If it makes an impact on your decision, pretend the other lenses you already own are the SEL20 pancake, SEL24Z and SEL35.

Thanks in advance!

dbarber996's gear list:dbarber996's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,721Gear list
Like?
Re: If you could only choose one: SEL50 or Sigma 60mm?
In reply to dbarber996, 8 months ago

dbarber996 wrote:

Using an APS-C NEX, which one of these two lenses would you buy, if you could only have one?

If it makes an impact on your decision, pretend the other lenses you already own are the SEL20 pancake, SEL24Z and SEL35.

Either one would do nicely.

The SEL 50mm has IMO some of the best rendering in the business. It's also stabilized very well, and faster.

The Sigma is sharper, cheaper, and is a more standard effective focal length for portraiture.

Personally I'd choose the SEL 50mm, but I am biassed (and prefer the shorter focal length), since that's the one I own. Although it resolves less in tests than the Sigma, in real-world use, it's plenty sharp, even on a NEX-7.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,408Gear list
Like?

Personally, I'd pick the Sony 50mm, because of the speed and rendering.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?

Thanks in advance!

The SEL50 has probably the best and smoothest bokeh I have ever seen in an APS-C lens. Moreover, it's one full stop faster than the sigma lens.
I have the SEL50 and I am loving it. It's a bargain.
Is it perfect? No. AF is a bit on the slow side, especially in low light. But the lovely rendering is almost unsurpassed.

Best

David
--
www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
zammy
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
In reply to ottonis, 8 months ago

I chose the sigma. Mainly for the price and focal length, but also because it has received excellent reviews.

So far I am happy with my choice. It is really sharp wide open and the af is faster and more accurate than the cz24, at least in daylight. I have mostly used it for street portrait and it is so small and together with the nex6 noone takes any notice.

I have the md50 1.4 and I felt that it would be nice with the extra length since the only longer lens I have is the md200f4.

Together with the 24 I am covered for most occasions. I carry the 16-50 for the extra wide, or if I only want the smallest combo for some reason.

zammy's gear list:zammy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,426
Like?
In reply to zammy, 8 months ago

I have bought the SEL50 quite a long time ago when it first came out. It is laudable that Sigma provides so many affordable sharp primes and I hope that they someday also provide a better standard zoom with OSS for Nex users.

But my application of the SEL50 would not be as possible with the Sigma.

While detail shots such as the Victoria statue would also work with the Sigma,

http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/2013/10/human-immortality-menschliche.html

I also like to enjoy the low DOF to emphasize details and portraits. Most of those shots are with f2, so the Sigma would lack a full stop. Combine this with the usability at less light (OSS, f1.8), the applications of the SEL50 are just more. If I would own a SEL35, one could use this also for low light.

But 50-35 is again a stop in lower DOF.

http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/2013/07/sel50-its-about-details-in-life-sel50.html

-- hide signature --
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

dbarber996 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I would prefer SEL50F18 over Sigma 60F28 because:
- it has 1.3 stops advantage F1.8 vs F2.8
useful for low light situations or for better subject isolation - portraits.
- it has 2-3 stops advantage because of OSS
you can shoot handheld at 1/25s with 90% keepers - great advantage in low light - you have SEL35F18, so you know what I mean.
- it has a very smooth OSS for filming
comparable only with the old SEL18200's OSS, better than SEL35F18 for filming - my opinion.
- chromatic aberration, vigneting, geometric distortion are corrected in the camera for Sony lenses - if you shoot jpeg it is important.
- now you can buy it in black too...., it will look cool with your SEL20, SEL24z, SEL35
Just my opinion...

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
ImagesInstyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
Re: No PDAF with sigma Lenses
In reply to 5nex7, 8 months ago

for this fact alone, i would not get it. (sigma 60mm)

ImagesInstyle's gear list:ImagesInstyle's gear list
Sony a6000
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: No PDAF with sigma Lenses
In reply to ImagesInstyle, 8 months ago

ImagesInstyle wrote:

for this fact alone, i would not get it. (sigma 60mm)

You are right, this is a limiting factor, for now, and for the future.

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?

dbarber996 wrote:

If you can control the lighting and don't need PDAF / OSS but want corner to corner sharpness, I would prefer the Sigma 60mm (flash, studio).

For more than that, clearly the SEL50F18

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
tomhongkong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456
Like?
In reply to wictred, 8 months ago

Like many others I chose the Sony 50mm for the same reasons, lack of OSS on the Sigma, and f1.8 v f2.8

The ultimate sharpness of the Sigma might work for you if you are shooting in bright light outside and can use high shutter speeds.

I decided it didn't work for me, as the time I would use the 50/1.8 at its maximum aperture was indoors and I needed help in getting the sharpest image.

I am sure both are fine lenses

tom

PeteC21
Contributing MemberPosts: 542Gear list
Like?

Lots of good info in the previous responses for either.  I have the SEL50 and the Sigma 60 was not available when I picked up the 50.  However, despite the pros of the Sigma 60 the SEL50 is FASTER and has very nice BOKEH.  On APS-C few native e-mount lenses can match it for it's compactness, OSS, sharpness, bokeh, and affordability, IMHO

Flickr post using the SEL50 on NEX-5N

-- hide signature --

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” Ansel Adams

PeteC21's gear list:PeteC21's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +11 more
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,276
Like?

dbarber996 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

If you already have (pretendingly) the three lenses mentioned, you are a gear hound and so why not buy them all?

Sounds not honest nor attainable for you to have just one more lens, or stop enjoying after just one potato chip.

My analysis: enjoy both of these lenses. Great choice to get them both!

zammy
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
In reply to zammy, 8 months ago

I just wanted to share these to show af performance. They are taken with the Sigma 60 wide open and was really surprised that the AF could keep up. The SEL24 had more misses than the Sigma, and yes PDAF was enabled.

zammy's gear list:zammy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?

The virtues and advantages of the Sony 50mm have certainly been outlined above. However, the Sony and Sigma lenses are not comparable in any real sense because of the difference in focal length. While I am sure there are uses for what is a fast 75mm-equivalent lens (the Sony), a longer focal length is more useful as a portrait lens. The Sigma is a 90mm equivalent. Traditionally, portrait lenses run from 85-105mm equivalent, although even longer focal lengths can be used. While the specs on the Sony 50mm are great, I just don't have much use for a 75mm-equivalent fixed focal length lens. So, for me advantage Sigma.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
davidstock
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to Euell, 8 months ago

I have both. The 50mm Sony is what usually stays on my  NEX-7 for the reasons people have given above: fast aperture, OSS, bokeh. It handles a bit better, IMHO. It is very sharp, with low distortion. It's good for many uses, from street to architecture and landscape.

However, in terms of pure sharpness, the Sigma 60mm is better, especially in the corners. Amazing, actually. I haven't been able to part with it, and I still use it occasionally for specific purposes. Also, there is a noticeable difference between a 75mm equivalent and a 90mm equivalent, as others have pointed out.

LouMeluso
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
In reply to davidstock, 8 months ago

I tested both focal lengths and decided on the Sigma 60mm

NEX 6, Sigma 60mm f/2.8 @f/4

100% Crop  Resolution like this will make prints sing

. It's great for portraits. Very creamy backgrounds with razor sharpness gives a 3-D effect. I read people like the 50mm better for isolation. I say you need to get closer to your subject. I shoot head and shoulder portraits at f/4-f/5.6. I fill the frame with the subject and the image is super sharp and the bkg is soft and buttery. When you go to make big prints, having that level of image quality WILL make a difference. Fill the frame with a portrait with the 50mm and the nose grows and you have to stop down anyway due to the razor thin DOF.

It really depends what you want to shoot. For portraits I prefer the Sigma 60mm all day.

LouMeluso's gear list:LouMeluso's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 +1 more
dbarber996
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouMeluso, 8 months ago

Thank you for all the responses, especially for what ended up being the "dissenting" opinions in favor of the Sigma.

was looking for thoughts on how the focal lengths compare, or if they're even comparable at all.  It seems the two are very (?) different beasts.  If anyone else has input it would be appreciated.

As to being a "gear hound," I didn't realize having 1 camera (a low-end model, at that) and all of 3 lenses besides those in question would qualify me as a "gear hound."  In fact, I imagine that puts me in the distinct minority compared to most members of these forums.

dbarber996's gear list:dbarber996's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
nannyg
Regular MemberPosts: 301
Like?

dbarber996 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Since you already have two lenses that are excellent in low light and can both give you shallow DOF, I would take that out of the equation. Also, neither the 50 nor the 60 are likely to get much use indoors. Given decent outdoor light, I would go with the Sigma. You will have faster shutter speeds available in daylight making lack of image stabilization close to a non-factor.

Kuturgan
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
In reply to nannyg, 8 months ago

nannyg wrote:

dbarber996 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Since you already have two lenses that are excellent in low light and can both give you shallow DOF, I would take that out of the equation. Also, neither the 50 nor the 60 are likely to get much use indoors. Given decent outdoor light, I would go with the Sigma. You will have faster shutter speeds available in daylight making lack of image stabilization close to a non-factor.

A wise statement indeed. If I had sel24mm and 35mm which are best for indoor shots and video then I would go for Sigma 60mm which is the sharpest (!) and on of the cheapest (!) portrait lens for NEX and micro. Me I never use 90mm equivalent lens in indoor because may be I don't live in the castle

But if you have only kit lens then I think it would better to go with Sony 50mm because it is very versatile lens.

-- hide signature --

Don't take a picture, create!

Kuturgan's gear list:Kuturgan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads