Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Steve9
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji
10 months ago

I've been using Nikon for 3+ years and have been mostly pleased with the Nikon system.  Tons of lens options, even more accessories, and plenty of options for buying and selling used.  However, Nikon really ticked me off with the D600 sensor oil/dust problem that they "fixed" by releasing the D610- meanwhile I was stuck with a D600 sensor that looks like pepper after a week of shooting.  I have since parted ways with the D600, so I'm left with D7000 and D7100 bodies (both APS-C format).  I've gotten in pretty deep with Nikon stuff: Sigma 15mm fisheye, Nikkor 24-85mm VR, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and the big-daddy 70-200mm 2.8 VRII.  I also have invested in three Nikon speedlights and nikon-specific radio triggers.  The rest of my gear doesn't care what camera brand I'm using.  I am thiiiis close to pulling the trigger on the D610 and the 16-35mm f4.

Having said all this, I am having thoughts of switching to Fuji.  The X-T1 has me drooling and the reviews on Fujinon lenses are usually very stellar.  So are Fujinon lenses on par with similar offerings from Nikon, Sigma, et al?  I can certainly re-create my current lens profile with Fujinon lenses, especially with the 16-55 and 50-140 2.8 lenses due out this year.  I'm a little worried that Fuji has gone whole-hog into the APS-C format sensor, but they just seem to keep getting better- almost up to full-frame quality.  Will I regret limiting myself to APS-C?  Weight and size are secondary to image quality in my book.  I won't lie, the smaller form factor of the Fuji gear is appealing, but not if IQ suffers.

So what say you, Fuji fans?  Do I drop Nikon and go Fujifilm?

Steve9's gear list:Steve9's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +11 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
geoson
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
I won't try to convince you...
In reply to Steve9, 10 months ago

... but your concern about Fuji going "whole hog" into APS-C is one of the reasons many people are giving them a second look.

Fuji is showing a commitment to their customers' long term.  Updating older models in ways no one else is considering.  They've introduced good lens at a rapid rate, and in the interview have stated that they will complete their APS-C lens roster before launching a 35mm camera, if they do one at all.  So if you're certain that 35mm is where you want to be, then you'll have to wait if you go to Fuji, possibly a long time.  Except for low light and ultra shallow depth of field, I don't think you'll suffer from going with APS-C.

geoson's gear list:geoson's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,006
Like?
Re: You should convince yourself: to jump (or not) from Nikon to Fuji

Steve9 wrote:

I've been using Nikon for 3+ years and have been mostly pleased with the Nikon system. Tons of lens options, even more accessories, and plenty of options for buying and selling used. However, Nikon really ticked me off with the D600 sensor oil/dust problem that they "fixed" by releasing the D610- meanwhile I was stuck with a D600 sensor that looks like pepper after a week of shooting. I have since parted ways with the D600, so I'm left with D7000 and D7100 bodies (both APS-C format). I've gotten in pretty deep with Nikon stuff: Sigma 15mm fisheye, Nikkor 24-85mm VR, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and the big-daddy 70-200mm 2.8 VRII. I also have invested in three Nikon speedlights and nikon-specific radio triggers. The rest of my gear doesn't care what camera brand I'm using. I am thiiiis close to pulling the trigger on the D610 and the 16-35mm f4.

Having said all this, I am having thoughts of switching to Fuji. The X-T1 has me drooling and the reviews on Fujinon lenses are usually very stellar. So are Fujinon lenses on par with similar offerings from Nikon, Sigma, et al? I can certainly re-create my current lens profile with Fujinon lenses, especially with the 16-55 and 50-140 2.8 lenses due out this year. I'm a little worried that Fuji has gone whole-hog into the APS-C format sensor, but they just seem to keep getting better- almost up to full-frame quality. Will I regret limiting myself to APS-C? Weight and size are secondary to image quality in my book. I won't lie, the smaller form factor of the Fuji gear is appealing, but not if IQ suffers.

So what say you, Fuji fans? Do I drop Nikon and go Fujifilm?

You Have to consider what your reasons would be for switching, I have switched from Nikon D7000 to the X-E1/2, because I wanted a more compact and lighter system, which I have now got. But it is a big compromise in many respects. For now I am going to stick with the X system, but it's not all smooth sailing.

My main beef is responsivenes (or rather the lack of it), an inferior flash system, ergonomics and flexibility.

On the plus side are the EVF, compactness, image quallity, nice lenses and regular firmware improvements (This latter one is virtually unknown to Nikon).

I have no intention to convince you to switch. That you have to do yourself. It looks like you could afford to have the X-T1 and keep your Nikon gear as well. Try the X-T1 with the 18-55/2.8-4.0 and see how you like it.

Most of this a matter of personal preference something that cheeses me off could be no big deal for you, and the other way around too.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
No. Only you can do that yourself

no one can convince you but your self, go out and buy a X-E2 (or second hand X-E1/2) and Fujinon prime and a Nikon to X-mount adapter and test for yourself.  Don't like it? Shop it in for the D610.  Do like it? keep it as a dual system as many do.  Keep it until such point as you feel you are ready to fully commit.

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239
Like?
Re: Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji

Can't. You don't say anything about why you take photographs.

nicholo89
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?

Get a D700, unless you "really" need the resolution for whatever purposes you may have. Even till now, the d700 is still highly regarded by many people. You are quite heavily invested in the Nikon ecosystem. Switching ALWAYS incurs a financial loss especially if you bought your equipment brand new. If you want to switch simply because of how Nikon has treated the dust/oil leak issue, than it seems more personal than logical. They ticked you off, you want out.

I love the Fuji system. But it is not full frame. People will give an abundance of arguments for and against full frame, and it is up to you how heavily you weigh the arguments. In my experience though, in IQ alone the Xpro 1 beat my D700. How the lenses affect the IQ will have to be a different discussion.

I have the x pro 1, and I am keeping it despite having bought an M240. Predictability, amazing high iso performance and autofocus is what is making me keep it. It's also quite light. Not to mention the ridiculous sharpness of many of the X lenses.

-- hide signature --
 nicholo89's gear list:nicholo89's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica M Typ 240 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Voigtlander 50mm F1.1 Nokton +1 more
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?
Nikon Flash Rocks - Fuji flash not so much.....

I'm a long term Nikon customer and use an extensive range of Nikon gear around FX. I also really like the lightweight Fuji system. I run both for different situations.

Fuji is catching up fast with DSLR responsiveness but not quite there yet. Fuji IQ is first rate. The flash on Fuji lets it down.

I would add that if you are going between going FX or Fuji, then don't go to either until you have sorted out your photographic goals.

I intend keeping my two system approach for a while.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
Approach it from the other side

After getting responses here, you could approach it from the other side: post threads in the Nikon and Sony forums with the request for people to talk you out of getting into the Fuji X-system Fuji. You should be getting a lot of interesting and useful responses

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644Gear list
Like?

Sorry I can't.

I'm also heavily invested in Nikon and will be buying the X-T1 but definitely NOT getting rid of any of my Nikon gear.  Why can you not have two systems? I plan to do that and only time will tell what my future plans will be.  For 99% of my photography, size does not matter and I prefer FF.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,513
Like?
Re: Approach it from the other side
In reply to nixda, 10 months ago

nixda wrote:

After getting responses here, you could approach it from the other side: post threads in the Nikon and Sony forums with the request for people to talk you out of getting into the Fuji X-system Fuji. You should be getting a lot of interesting and useful responses

It doesn't work!, I am doing the exact same thing (except for rather than coming from Nikon FF I am trying to avoid it)... I posted in the nikon forum that I lurked in for 3+ years. In the Canon forum, and this forum. The problem with all of you guys is you are so damn excited about all the cameras.

The more and more I read the crazier I get about the choice. It is really tough call for me between a D610, a 70D, and an XT1 and so far I am not convinced on just one.

-- hide signature --

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"
- Ayn Rand

VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

I am in a similar position to you, for me the XT-1 isn't a FF replacement but a smaller system without a big compromise on sensor size and features. I recently sold off my N1 gear and will more than likely replace it with Fuji, sure not as small, but just a lot better for me. Why don't you consolidate some of your Nikon gear and use the funds toward an XT-1? If I didn't print big, I would probably be selling off my FX gear as well.

jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?

Once upon a time sony similarly angered me.  i have since then refused to buy sony photographic products.

Unless Nikon has so aggravated you I would stay with Nikon.  You have not presented a photographic reason to change, and if anything your Nikon flash system would probably be significantly better than anything you could replicate in Fuji land.

that said I would understand the switch.  It can be hard to continue to buy from a company that you feel has wronged you.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +11 more
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?

I'm not going to try to convince you, since I don't even know your photography style and subject matter, but I can relate my own experience. I sold my D800 and about 6 lenses and speedlights and picked up the Fuji X-E1 nearly a year ago.

My primary interest in photography is for travel and landscape, and since I do travel quite frequently, I found I was leaving the D800 and heavy 14-24 or others and the big Gitzo 3 series tripod at home too often.

So the main reason for me to switch was to trade to a lighter and smaller system, and I have no regrets. I fit my X-E2 and a couple of lenses in a small Domke bag, which nests perfectly inside my Thinktank Urban Disguise laptop bag, and my lighter Benro tripod stows perfectly inside my carry-on suitcase. So if I have travel where I might get some down time to shoot, I don't hesitate to pack the kit because it's so easy.

In terms of quality, yes the 36 MP D800 was a beast, and at times I do miss having all that resolution. But for my final output, which is mostly on-line portfolios or small prints you would never know the difference. In terms of AF, I find the X cameras actually focus more accurately than my D800 did, but not as quickly. Again, for my style of shooting, which includes MF, no issues for me.

I do miss the weather sealing, but the X-T1 will fix that, assuming I decide to make that upgrade at some point.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcharding, 10 months ago

XE1 and lenses are a great system. XT1 would be more the competitor to the D610.

Sony A7 is the other. If small form factor is the thing then XT1 or Sony A7 are what you should consider.

You know of course you can use all your Nikon lenses on both XT1 and Sony A7. You just need a decent adapter and shoot manually. Both have great manual focus implementations and this is where I find the EVF's are so great - manual focusing. So much easier than with an OVF, others may disagree but it becomes very easy.

The other main thing is size. They are so small and light. So I found myself using the XE1 instead of my D800e for 90% of my photograhy. I am assuming you are an enthusiast rather than a working pro which may have other considerations.

So both the Fuji XT1 and Sony A7 offer great EVFs, great manual focusing tools, the ability to use any brand lens (there are some nice Canon lenses you may like to try), small form and most importantly great IQ. XT1 should be a faster AF than A7 but A7 is fine unless you do a lot of sports.

XT1 seems to do it all and is what I would consider a very mature Fuji X system camera that is going to be hard to fault in any way.

Greg.

Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,006
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

XE1 and lenses are a great system. XT1 would be more the competitor to the D610.

This is a very misguided suggestion.

I cannot see any aspect of photography where these two cameras would compete with each other.

They are probably both excellent cameras, but they are not competitors to each other.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

I made the jump from Nikon to Fuji strictly for a lighter carry. However, I had been with Nikon for circa 35 years. I held onto bodies, with the exception of the last body, a D800, for 5 to 10 years. Lens inventory consisted of pre Ai lenses and a couple of wide primes.

You've been with Nikon for 3+ years and appear to have perpetual GAS.  Prior to that I assume you were in yet another system.  Just do it. You certainly seem adaptable to change.

Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?

Fuji's lenses are a bargain at the price they go for, but you won't get the same quality as anything like the Nikon 2.8 zooms. I would check out the D610 instead.

Also it's worth mentioning that Fuji doesn't have really pro flashes yet.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Michael M.
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

As the others here have stated cant really do much convincing until we know a bit more about what you are trying to achieve with your gear. I have a significant Nikon kit that I use for my paid jobs. I depend on the flash system, the quick autofocus, and FF for lenses which is my photography style and what my customers expect. For me personally though, I never bring my heavy gear unless I specifically need it. So, I have always carried either an LX-3 or a nice V1 kit for personal walk around and travel.

With the recent price drops on the X-E1, the lure of the wonderful Fuji colors and the nice lenses were too much to resist. I am of course keeping my Nikon DSLRs for my other work, but for personal stuff the Fujifilm gear is a nice step back into what got me into photography years and years ago. The manual dials, the slower pace, and the lens line-up are great for keeping us attached to the image we are creating. Check out the X-E1 with the nice 18-55 lens, and keep your two kits until you are sure that the Fuji will work the way you need for your photography needs.

Michael M.'s gear list:Michael M.'s gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +3 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,921Gear list
Like?
Blue Cheese, Is all about what YOU need and LIKE.
In reply to blue_cheese, 10 months ago

blue_cheese wrote:

nixda wrote:

It doesn't work!, I am doing the exact same thing (except for rather than coming from Nikon FF I am trying to avoid it)... I posted in the nikon forum that I lurked in for 3+ years. In the Canon forum, and this forum. The problem with all of you guys is you are so damn excited about all the cameras.

The more and more I read the crazier I get about the choice. It is really tough call for me between a D610, a 70D, and an XT1 and so far I am not convinced on just one.

-- hide signature --

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"
- Ayn Rand

This is VERY difficult because people really can't tell us what we really like or need, only ourselves can do that. All you have to do is learn about what cameras are out there, which ones have the most important features FOR YOU, take your time, lots of time, and then choose one.

Ask about what software works best, not all cameras are the same, specially fuji from what i understand. Go to the camera store and shoot with flash, and without flash, and first see if you like the IQ, at least you'll get an "idea" on what the output looks like. Maybe you WONT like fuji, who knows, everybody likes different things.

Don't get me wrong, i really like fuji, and i am really liking my new XE1 for several reasons, but after shooting with the S5 PRO, the S5 just KICKS every other camera's ass regarding skin tones, yes including fuji's new cameras. Sometimes i wish i should have never used the S5

Like i said, who knows, you might not even like it or it was not what you "expected". One thing that is going to HAVE to happen, no matter what other brand you go to, you are gonna have to get used to it

All it takes is patience and TIME.

And like someone said, maybe you could stay with nikon AND get a second different body for a different purpose.  Maybe that way you'll know for sure what works BETTER for you.  After that you can sell all your stuff.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Jonas, 10 months ago

Care to be specific?

AF systems should be similar and both adequate but D610 is probably overall faster - reviews to tell.

As I recall D610 has 39 points and most of those are centred in the middle part of the scene - not ideal. XT1 has more focus points.

XT1 is 8 fps  D610 is less (not exactly sure but probably around 4 or 5)

IQ would be similar. Form much better on the XT1. Lenses better on the XT1, cost better on the XT1, EVF versus OVF - personal choice but for those who like EVF this is a plus, manual focusing ability - way better on XT1 - Nikons' green dot is not good enough,

White balance - Fuji is a lot better, Jpeg and colour - XT1 a lot better, Nikon has a slight green cast, sharpness - I would lean slightly to XT1 as no AA but D610 are also very nice.

Tilt screen, panorama function, all XT1

high speed SD card compatible - XT1

external dials and knobs XT1.

Live view focusing - much better on XT1. A common complaint against D800 and presumably D610

No question mark over QC like Nikon has with left side AF alignments, dust/oil on sensor although I believe that issue seems resolved - (we hope).

Fuji is a way better and customer caring company than Nikon who handled the D600 oil/dust debacle appalling badly.

Fuji will offer regular firmware updates, Nikon only issues mostly bug fixes and no new functionality via firmware.

D610 comes with the full confidence knowing that Nikon would never put out a defective camera and continue to sell it for a long time after they find out its defective and fob off their customers who complain and send them a replacement that is just as bad several times (literally many posts complaining of exactly that with D600). Nikon customer care is by numerous numerous posts reported by their own customers to be very poor at times.

Cost is less with XT1.

D610 is full frame and of course that is the big one and the source of endless debates on this forum but I personally agree full frame is superior if only for the wider FOV.

D610 would have slightly better low light noise at high ISO - but not by much XT1 (any X series) has superb high ISO low noise.

Nikon lenses are crippled - no aperture ring, most are made of plastic these days - their best and sharpest lens the 85 F1.8g has really bad CA. Fuji lenses have way more character, are faster on average (many are F1.4, F2.4 or F2.8). Fuji zooms have OIS Nikon only puts that on very few lenses. Fuji lenses are cheaper with better quality and faster for the same focal length. In many cases the comparable Nikon lens is several times as much for example 35mm F1.4 or any Nikon that is F1.4 tends to be a $2000 lens.

Nikon has better flash and all round accessories.

Nikon does not offer a decent mirrorless yet (APSc).

D610 looks like every other black melted plastic looking lump - no character or appeal. XT1 is cool and full of character and unique. The DF that Nikon tried to make but fell short of.

XT1 has wifi and NFC - D610 has neither.

XT1 has full magnesium cast body I doubt D610 has.

Not 100% sure if D610 is weather sealed or not. I think its not and its the D800e and D4 that is. XT1 is weather sealed.

XT1 ha better LCD by a considerable margin. Nikon LCD is B grade and has a colour cast.

XT1 can mount any lens around using adapters - Nikon D610 cannot, only Nikon or lenses with Nikon compatible mounts like Zeiss.

XT1 has AF that actually works in video with manual exposure controls on video. D610 does not. Video on the D610 based on D800e would be rather poor overall. XT1 would be better in terms of AF but still not a strong point of Fuji X, more a Panasonic, Sony, Canon strength.

Shall I go on?

Hence my post - I think it is indeed a serious competitor to D610 and I would not be surprised to see others consider it that way as well.

I had a D800e for a year and a half and loved it so I am not a Nikon hater at all. The XT1 is the current ultimate mirrorless high end camera that would appear to have finally handled the AF issue to an acceptable level for most users and matches many DSLRs (not all).

So it probably boils down to how many Nikon lenses you have (of course you can use all those lenses on an XT1 with a nice adapter just manual focus).

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads