Sensor cleaning

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
M Dennis Fern
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
Sensor cleaning
7 months ago

The sensor of my Sony A7R is always picking up little specks of dust, which I can't remove by using the camera "clean" control or a blower.  I could leave the specks there (there are 2 now and my camera is only a few days old--but I've been changing lenses to test them), but I suppose I am a little compulsive and the specks are very annoying.  Do you clean the sensors and what do you use?

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
anthonylarsphoto
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Sensor cleaning
In reply to M Dennis Fern, 7 months ago

I have a similar question. I have a small fingerprint smudge on my A7r sensor, lightly touched the sensor when changing a lens. I know there is a sensor glass layer in front of the actual sensor even though there is no low pass filter. I do not see the smudge in photos from what I can tell. Any input or suggestions?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rey66
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?

M Dennis Fern wrote:

The sensor of my Sony A7R is always picking up little specks of dust, which I can't remove by using the camera "clean" control or a blower. I could leave the specks there (there are 2 now and my camera is only a few days old--but I've been changing lenses to test them), but I suppose I am a little compulsive and the specks are very annoying. Do you clean the sensors and what do you use?

dont think of them, when its starts to appear around F16 then clean it with wet method...Dust has static charge and it wont go away by just canned air sometimes...if you do a lot of macro, this can get annoying..this is why, I use LAEA4 adapter so it stays there since my lens are all A-mount..this is actually an advantage + PDAF capability while protecting your sensor..

Rey66's gear list:Rey66's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

M Dennis Fern wrote:

The sensor of my Sony A7R is always picking up little specks of dust, which I can't remove by using the camera "clean" control or a blower. I could leave the specks there (there are 2 now and my camera is only a few days old--but I've been changing lenses to test them), but I suppose I am a little compulsive and the specks are very annoying. Do you clean the sensors and what do you use?

Here's a good guide to cleaning methods: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

I'm getting good results with the first method listed, Sensor Swab™ and Eclipse™, after using a Giottos Rocket, and Carson SensorMag LED Lighted Cleaning Loupe, all from Amazon.

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402
Like?

Someone here mentioned canned air. Don't use that.

If a carefully controller bulb-blower isn't working, which surprises me for dust, then you can use a lens brush or get one of the sensor cleaning kits.  I've used lens pen (brush and carbon tip) to clean mine without problem, but I wouldn't go near it with a wet wash, personally.

M Dennis Fern
Like?
In reply to wb2trf, 7 months ago

Is the A7R particularly sensitive to dust problems?  I own and use  Nikon, Aps-C sensor cameras (5100, D300) and have never had dust problems..  Is it that the greater size of the sensor and the higher resolution amplifies the evidence of dust?

ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450Gear list
Like?
No dust issues here

I've changed lenses in the field, left the body with the sensor exposed in the trunk while mounting adapters on MF lenses, left the camera with the sensor exposed on a tripod while going to the car to get the other lens, no issues at all. This in stark contrast with my Nikon and Canon bodies with which I wouldn't have dared behaving thusly, being virtual dust magnets. I think a simpler box construction by Sony, with no obstructions or protrusions, is helping in this regard.

All I use is a rocket blower a few times during a session and so far I couldn't find signs of dust.

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +3 more
pwmoree
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: No dust issues here
In reply to ncsakany, 7 months ago

On my N7 I have used a simple and very cheap method several times.

use alcohol, the medical 96% type and cotton swabs.

no problem, the alcohol evaporates and my sensor is very clean again,

peter

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450Gear list
Like?
In reply to pwmoree, 7 months ago

peter

Olive oil. Simply the best.

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +3 more
john-photoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to pwmoree, 7 months ago

pwmoree wrote:

peter

Yep, I do that too when necessary.  Eclipse on a good cotton swab works well too for cleaning all kinds of things.  Just don't use too much liquid solvent.

-- hide signature --

Let just all take more photographs!

john-photoguy's gear list:john-photoguy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
M Dennis Fern
Like?

While looking for advice on the Internet I ran across a sensor cleaning device which consists of a little square of a gel-type product at the end of a plastic rod.  I discovered it through a UTube video about cleaning camera sensors. It's featured on a site called photographylife.com, where it sells for about $44.  Amazon seems to have an identical product supplied under the Foga brand (a Chinese photo product supplier) for a fraction of that price.  The gel square is sticky, but supposedly doesn't leave a residue.  It comes with paper treated with something that is more sticky than the gel and removes the dust.  I've ordered one, but haven't decided whether to use it on my camera. I've never cleaned a sensor before and am a little intimidated. Anyone tried this product out yet?

mdg137
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
In reply to DWMurf, 7 months ago

Another vote for sensor swab and eclipse-- I've wet cleaned my A7r sensor several times, and I think owing to the absence of a mirror box/ short registration, it was far w easier than on my DSLRs

-- hide signature --
g wild
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
In reply to mdg137, 7 months ago

Living in an environment that combines both dust and high humidity I have to clean the sensor on my a55 fairly often. I use the cleaning kit put out by Delkin. This kit gives you a loop that lets you see just what you are dealing with, a small vacuum that does a good job on the loose stuff as well as swabs and a solution to do a wet cleaning if that is needed. I have used this set since my a100 days and have been pleased with the results.

Fattony12000
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to g wild, 6 months ago

Here is a still taken from a video shot with my NEX-5N (AVCHD 1080p50). What do those little black dots look like to y'all? My sensor (or at least the filter/glass in front of it) appears clean, as do both ends of the SEL-1855 lens that I used to shoot this.

It was actually pretty bright out when this was shot so the aperture was probably getting pretty near to the top end of the scale at the time of this still (around the F29 mark I think, at 55mm, I was shooting in shutter priority mode).

The below images were shot several days before the video above, and show up some stuff as well, but in different positions (at least to my eyes!). This leads me to believe that I could just be dealing with mucky stuff on the lenses (both of the below images were made with the Sigma 19mm) that I'm not seeing clearly when cleaning. And by cleaning, I mean that I have only ever taken a rocket blower to this camera and the aforementioned lenses.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you guys can offer!

Shot against white paper #1 - ISO 100 19mm F18 1/50

Shot against white paper #2 - ISO 100 19mm F18 1/50

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads