Buying E-PL5 or E-M10

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
ttan98
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Buying E-PL5 or E-M10
9 months ago

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing an Olympus camera, there has be some discussions of getting an obsolete E-PL5(still relevant) or new model E-M10(more features). I made a brief summary of the relevant features important to me applicable to both cameras and the decision I should made is based on this summary. There are other features which I may over look, please list them here.

EPL5                         E-M10

ViewFinder                      No                             Yes

WiFi                              No                             Yes

Built-in Flash                   No                             Yes

Peak Focus                    No                             Yes

Current Price                AUD$400(*)                  AUD$656(**)

* Second Hand incl. kit lens

** New from Discount camera shop, no kit lens

Using the above analysis I am incline towards E-M10 provided it does NOT exhibit Shuttle Shock.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Winston Loo
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
Re: Buying E-PL5 or E-M10
In reply to ttan98, 9 months ago

ttan98 wrote:

Using the above analysis I am incline towards E-M10 provided it does NOT exhibit Shuttle Shock.

I hope you mean SHUTTER and not shuttle.. there isnt a shuttle in a camera.. a shuttle is what i take to work

Winston Loo's gear list:Winston Loo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ttan98
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
In reply to Winston Loo, 9 months ago

Winston Loo wrote:

ttan98 wrote:

I hope you mean SHUTTER and not shuttle.. there isnt a shuttle in a camera.. a shuttle is what i take to work

my mistake...

beomagi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340Gear list
Like?

ttan98 wrote:

Winston Loo wrote:

ttan98 wrote:

my mistake...

No biggie.

It was mentioned before.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3615806

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m10

Not conclusive, but it's promising if what made it visible in another camera wasn't seen here. Until enough people buy it and verify you just wont know for sure. I'm looking at this to replace my ep3 eventually.

I believe most of the shake came form the vibration in the collapsible lens, to bear that in mind - If you plan to use other lenses, you probably wont see this effect anyway.

And back to shuttle shock (just having fun ;))

Oh, the horror!

beomagi's gear list:beomagi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +4 more
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,074Gear list
Like?
In reply to beomagi, 9 months ago

Did someone say shuttle?

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
In reply to beomagi, 9 months ago

beomagi wrote:

And back to shuttle shock (just having fun ;))

Oh, the horror!

Shuttle shock is not funny - two entire crews of Astronauts were killed by it.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,074Gear list
Like?
spend the money

I suspect you underestimate the principle difference between an OMD and the EPL5. Although gifted with an equally talented sensor, the EPL5 stabilization, build and controls don't measure up.

Early reports indicate the EM10's 3-axis stabilization retains the essential goodness of the 5-axis setup, which means it is likely less prone to shutter shock than an EPL5.

I think you'll enjoy the integrated viewfinder as well. Plus all the other bells and whistles, should they matter from your perspective. Well worth the additional money.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,230Gear list
Like?

To me, the most important factor  is SIZE.   If small size is important, then any EP/L/M-x.  If you want a scaled down APS-C DSLR, then EM-x, any of them.  I have APS-C Nikon and many lenses but I built an m43 system around EPL body for easier travel and grab shooting.   Ten years ago, no-one had any of today's now-indispensable features.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,489Gear list
Like?
In reply to PSCL1, 9 months ago

PSCL1 wrote:

To me, the most important factor is SIZE. If small size is important, then any EP/L/M-x. If you want a scaled down APS-C DSLR, then EM-x, any of them. I have APS-C Nikon and many lenses but I built an m43 system around EPL body for easier travel and grab shooting. Ten years ago, no-one had any of today's now-indispensable features.

True, but the E-M10 and E-M5 are still darn small cameras, a lot smaller than a DSLR. I tried the E-PL5 and, while loving its output, just couldn't get on with its cramped layout and lack of manual controls - not helped by the fact I have big hands. Now the GH3, that in my mind IS big for m 4/3 and almost too close to DSLR size, but no the E-M range or the Pannie G range (G6 is very nice).

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?

Don't forget the better built (magnesium), much better IS (actually useful, not like on the PM2 and PL5, sorry), viewfinder....

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?

I have the PL-5 which like, small and light compared to a DLSR Fuji I used for years. And it was right price wise. I'll never use WiFi, I never shoot video and rarely use the flash. I shoot mostly landscapes and I like old building.

My first camera was a Yashica in 1967, that was 47 years ago, so older than a lot of people on here. No built in flash, all manual, no stabilization, no electronic view finder, only one lens. But today we have all kinds of cameras and features. But in six months we will see more new ones. Keeps us buying!

So choice is yours, the E-M10 would be a good pick, if it had been available this past November I would be in the same though mode as you right now.

But then the Fuji X-E2 is out????????

Good luck.

Gary

Pueblo, CO

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
guido1953
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?

If this was my first camera, then start with an E-PL5.I purchased a used, as new, kit for $425 USD.

If you are not a novice, get the other choice or a used prior model.

Regards,
Guido

mcentral
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?

Well once you add in the cost of a new or used EVF, the price of the EPL5 is closer to that of the EM10, so it's hard to argue for the EPL5. I have an EPL5 with VF4 and I love the combo, but I can't say I'd buy it today over the EM10.  I actually find the EPL5 okay to use even with my large-ish hands, but I suppose it depends how you shoot.  I mostly just keep it in A and use exposure comp and a back button to focus, so I don't really feel that deprived of controls (plus the super control panel is only a button press away). However the little dial thing on the back is annoying and fiddly, and when I look at my other camera - a Ricoh GR - which is not that much bigger, I wonder why Olympus couldn't have fit in an additional dial or lever or something.  But I do like how the EPL5 can go from something you can fit in your palm like the GR (with a pancake lens and no EVF) to something more substantial in your hand eg. with the VF4 and a larger lens.

mcentral's gear list:mcentral's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads