Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,656Gear list
Like?
Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed
7 months ago

Robin Wong has compared the Panny 25mm 1.4 to the Olympus 25mm 1.8.

http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-lens-review.html

There are some interesting points.  First, the Panasonic required a slower shutter speed at the same aperture, meaning there may be a difference in the way Olympus measures their f/stop and the way Panasonic does.

There seems to be very little difference in background blur, but there is a hair more with the Panasonic.

The Olympus lens was sharper at times, but not all the time.  The Olympus lens did have better corner sharpness.

After reading this, I would choose whichever lens was cheaper, though you should note the Olympus lens is smaller and lighter.

The Olympus will work better on Olympus bodies if CA is a concern.  It may be the reverse on Panasonic bodies.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed
In reply to dgrogers, 7 months ago

dgrogers wrote:

There are some interesting points. First, the Panasonic required a slower shutter speed at the same aperture, meaning there may be a difference in the way Olympus measures their f/stop and the way Panasonic does.

f/stop is I think pretty much a calculated thing rather than a measured thing. It's an fixed formula, not something that's up for debate. T-stop however can change for any given f-stop. I don't know the optical constructions of both but if for instance the oly had less elements it might have a slightly better comparative t-stop.

There seems to be very little difference in background blur, but there is a hair more with the Panasonic.

The Olympus lens was sharper at times, but not all the time. The Olympus lens did have better corner sharpness.

After reading this, I would choose whichever lens was cheaper, though you should note the Olympus lens is smaller and lighter.

The Olympus will work better on Olympus bodies if CA is a concern. It may be the reverse on Panasonic bodies.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dgrogers
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 7 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

There are some interesting points. First, the Panasonic required a slower shutter speed at the same aperture, meaning there may be a difference in the way Olympus measures their f/stop and the way Panasonic does.

f/stop is I think pretty much a calculated thing rather than a measured thing. It's an fixed formula, not something that's up for debate. T-stop however can change for any given f-stop. I don't know the optical constructions of both but if for instance the oly had less elements it might have a slightly better comparative t-stop.

Same number of groups, same number of elements.  Different configuration.

-- hide signature --

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?

dgrogers wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

Same number of groups, same number of elements. Different configuration.

-- hide signature --

Might be down to coating etc then.

Anfy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,384
Like?
Something to consider...

From Mr. Wong Comparison:

"The Panasonic 25mm costs almost twice as much as the Olympus 25mm (true for local Malaysian pricing)".

That is not the case, however, with UK prices, where (source: camerapricebuster.co.uk) the difference is a mere 30 GBP (269 GBP for the Olympus f/1.8, 299 for the Panasonic f/1.4).

Ciao!

dgrogers wrote:

The Olympus lens was sharper at times, but not all the time. The Olympus lens did have better corner sharpness.

The Olympus will work better on Olympus bodies if CA is a concern. It may be the reverse on Panasonic bodies.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

Kavu
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

dgrogers wrote:

-- hide signature --

Wow...pretty darn close. I'd say the edge goes to the Oly. That said, I won't be parting with my panasonic...not enough of a difference to justify the move.

gnewylliw
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?

dgrogers wrote:

-- hide signature --

the CA appeared to be LoCA rather than Lateral CA.

gnewylliw's gear list:gnewylliw's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,224Gear list
Like?
Re: Something to consider...
In reply to Anfy, 7 months ago

The price in Canada is about $500 for the Panasonic and $400 for the Olympus. As noted in the other active thread about this comparison, I look forward to the LensTip test of the 25 1.8 to compare it with the PL 25 1.4 and the Olympus 45mm. I trust LensTip more than I trust Wong.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 7 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

This is true. However, there are differences in how different companies round f numbers. 1.26 is rounded to f/1.2 by Canon, but other companies round it to f/1.3. That's why if you put a 85mm f/1.2L on a metabones AF adapter for NEX, you'll get the camera reporting f/1.3.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,396
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 7 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

The price in Canada is about $500 for the Panasonic and $400 for the Olympus. As noted in the other active thread about this comparison, I look forward to the LensTip test of the 25 1.8 to compare it with the PL 25 1.4 and the Olympus 45mm. I trust LensTip more than I trust Wong.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

Robin is employed by Olympus.  If there was ever any question about his impartiality, I think this comparison settles it -- and not just the obvious obfuscation over the price difference.  Like his photographs, though.

dgrogers
Like?
In reply to amtberg, 7 months ago

amtberg wrote:

Robin is employed by Olympus. If there was ever any question about his impartiality, I think this comparison settles it -- and not just the obvious obfuscation over the price difference. Like his photographs, though.

He makes it clear he gets paid by Olympus Malaysia.  He also makes it clear price differences elsewhere may be different, but seeing that he lives in Malaysia, what do you expect?  In the USA, there is a $130 difference at Amazon.  That makes it an easy choice.

If you don't trust what he has to say, let the pictures do the talking.

-- hide signature --

markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,452
Like?

Reg price here in Canada (Henry's) for the Panny 25 1.4 is $649 (though it currently is on sale at $599).

Reg price of the Oly 25 1.8 is $399 (again, Henry's).

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,396
Like?

dgrogers wrote:

amtberg wrote:

Robin is employed by Olympus. If there was ever any question about his impartiality, I think this comparison settles it -- and not just the obvious obfuscation over the price difference. Like his photographs, though.

He makes it clear he gets paid by Olympus Malaysia. He also makes it clear price differences elsewhere may be different, but seeing that he lives in Malaysia, what do you expect? In the USA, there is a $130 difference at Amazon. That makes it an easy choice.

-- hide signature --

Come on, man ... do you think he doesn't know that the price difference is much smaller in the rest of the world?  Assuming he's even being truthful about the Malaysia pricing....

dgrogers
Like?

amtberg wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

amtberg wrote:

He makes it clear he gets paid by Olympus Malaysia. He also makes it clear price differences elsewhere may be different, but seeing that he lives in Malaysia, what do you expect? In the USA, there is a $130 difference at Amazon. That makes it an easy choice.

-- hide signature --

Come on, man ... do you think he doesn't know that the price difference is much smaller in the rest of the world? Assuming he's even being truthful about the Malaysia pricing....

He specifically mentioned the difference in price may be different in other parts of the world.  Do you really expect him to give pricing for each market?  He is a Malaysian citizen getting paid by a Malaysian company giving a review aimed at the Malaysian market because that is his job.

-- hide signature --

tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?

My takeaway is:

1) Lenses really, really close in terms of IQ, including sharpness in the center and corners, CA, and distortion.

2) The extra speed of the Panny is real, but for most shots isn't really very significant.

3) The first picture describes the biggest difference to me:

i.e., the Panasonic is a whole lot bigger. Add the fact that the Panasonic lens hood is not reversible, and cannot be stored on the lens, it makes the Olympus a much smaller lens.

So for me, someone who really values the small size of the m43 format, it's a no-brainer.

As usual, others will disagree, which is why it's great we have CHOICES!

gnewylliw
Like?
In reply to markintosh13, 7 months ago

markintosh13 wrote:

Reg price here in Canada (Henry's) for the Panny 25 1.4 is $649 (though it currently is on sale at $599).

519 at AdenCamera.

Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,556Gear list
Like?
$519 at Aden but $531.98 at Bestbuy & Futureshop...
In reply to gnewylliw, 7 months ago

gnewylliw wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

519 at AdenCamera.

with free shipping available for Bestbuy/Futureshop, I believe it actually may come out cheaper?
 That's assuming you are far from Aden.

It's also $549 at Vistek and Merkle and for those in London Ontario, Mostly Digital has it for $539.

In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to find the PL for less than $599.

If you wait a while (a year? half a year? Black Friday/Boxing week? etc. etc.) I would expect you would be able to find the Oly 25mm for $349.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
gnewylliw
Like?
Re: $519 at Aden but $531.98 at Bestbuy & Futureshop...
In reply to peppermonkey, 7 months ago

peppermonkey wrote:

\

with free shipping available for Bestbuy/Futureshop, I believe it actually may come out cheaper?

It's also $549 at Vistek and Merkle and for those in London Ontario, Mostly Digital has it for $539.

I'm thinking the PM route @ Henry's or FS/BB

peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,556Gear list
Like?
PM Henrys vs Aden :)
In reply to gnewylliw, 7 months ago

gnewylliw wrote:

peppermonkey wrote:

\

I'm thinking the PM route @ Henry's or FS/BB

I doubt the 25mm is sold in FS/BB brick & mortar so if you are going to PM then it would have to be online...

Either case, if you can find the PL for $649 at Henrys, that would be a perfect store to PM with Aden.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,224Gear list
Like?
Re: PM Henrys vs Aden :)
In reply to peppermonkey, 7 months ago

The last time I checked, the price of the 25mm was $509 at Aden - it seems up to $519 now. It is $539 at Future Shop. Henry's will price match.

F.

-- hide signature --

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads