How is the SEL20F28 for walk-around/pocketing purposes?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Reignman40
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
How is the SEL20F28 for walk-around/pocketing purposes?
6 months ago

I am thinking of a getting SEL20F28 to pair up with my 3N for extreme portability. The question is, how much IQ am I compromising? I imagine it can't be worse off than the SELP1650 at 20mm, which is portable, but not as pocketable as the SEL20F28.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#442.360,442.369,dd,t

It looks like I can shave off 10mm in lense length if I get the SEL20F28. This will fit easily into a jacket pocket without too much bulging.

Also, I will probably get the A6000 when it comes out in April, so I wonder if the SEL20F28 will handle the 24MP resolution and faster AF of the new body.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
j0sh
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the SEL20F28 for walk-around/pocketing purposes?
In reply to Reignman40, 6 months ago

Reignman40 wrote:

I am thinking of a getting SEL20F28 to pair up with my 3N for extreme portability. The question is, how much IQ am I compromising? I imagine it can't be worse off than the SELP1650 at 20mm, which is portable, but not as pocketable as the SEL20F28.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#442.360,442.369,dd,t

It looks like I can shave off 10mm in lense length if I get the SEL20F28. This will fit easily into a jacket pocket without too much bulging.

Also, I will probably get the A6000 when it comes out in April, so I wonder if the SEL20F28 will handle the 24MP resolution and faster AF of the new body.

I love that lens I think it's very sharp and the fov is very flexible...i use it on my nex 6 and it does support hybrid autofocus

-- hide signature --
 j0sh's gear list:j0sh's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051Gear list
Like?

It is a prime 2.8, will be better than kit zoom lens.

B&H Reviews

And Dyxum, just 1 review.

Looks extremely portable, but kind of expensive at $348.  Can you find it on ebay or used perhaps to save some $?

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 RX100 III Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
Crotach
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 6 months ago

I have it on my NEX-5T and it's a world apart from the kit zoom. I've also heard it's an improvement over the 16mm lens that was it's predecessor.

It's small, fits easily in a jacket pocket, and perfect for a compact camera body like the NEX series.

lyricalmotion
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?

very walkable.
the IQ is solid... not as good as 35mm.. but it is a very good performer as long as you don't shoot at the widest aperture. 
I use it with the vclecu1... pretty good and fast combo. 
20mm is such a small lens.. I usually just carry it in my pocket and switch between my 35 and 20. 
you will find it quiet enjoyable

lyricalmotion's gear list:lyricalmotion's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
sabesh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?

It's the smallest lens in the NEX system. Gives a FF FOV of 30mm, which is the most common camera phone FOV. If you are used to taking pictures with your phone, you will feel right at home with this lens.

I use it for casual outings, especially this winter, as my NEX-6 + 20/2.8 fits inside my jacket side pockets! Solid IQ and fast focusing. Love it.
--
Sabesh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabesh/

sabesh's gear list:sabesh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Nexographer
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?

I just got this lens for my NEX-7 as ultra-compact go-everywhere. It is actually pretty good, especially from f/4, sharp to the corners. Much more consistent than my Zeiss 16-70 at the same focal length (due to decentering of my copy).

Just consider; the front lens element is very exposed, so if you attach a filter and/or the supplied Hood, it becomes almost 2x the size. And AF is very noisy on my copy. For the current low price, it's a keeper for me.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,230Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 6 months ago

Chad Hardy wrote:

It is a prime 2.8, will be better than kit zoom lens.

This is not a reasonable assumption in all cases.  I have used plenty of zoom lenses that perform better than prime lenses.

However, in this case I think it is a fair assumption, the 16-50mm is pretty weak in the corners until somewhere between 19-24mm.  I think the 20mm would have about 1 f/stop on it too, the 16-50mm drops in aperture very fast.  At 19mm it is already f/4, and f/4.5 by 24mm.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reignman40
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to viking79, 6 months ago

Thank you guys for your replies.

I also have the SEL35F18, but I find that focal length to be a bit more restrictive for everyday street usage. Plus it is physically much bigger (especially if you attach the lense hood) than the pancake.

I think I am going to get a SEL20F28 off of ebay and use it as my default walk-around lense coupled with the NEX-3N.

MattLangley
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

What surprised me is how much the 5r (or n or t) is with a lens than the 3n:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#442.360,442.369,369.369,dd,t

sabesh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nexographer, 6 months ago

I just got this lens for my NEX-7 as ultra-compact go-everywhere. It is actually pretty good, especially from f/4, sharp to the corners. Much more consistent than my Zeiss 16-70 at the same focal length (due to decentering of my copy).

Just consider; the front lens element is very exposed, so if you attach a filter and/or the supplied Hood, it becomes almost 2x the size. And AF is very noisy on my copy. For the current low price, it's a keeper for me.

Attaching a filter does not double the size. Adds maybe 5mm (slim filter).
--
Sabesh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabesh/

sabesh's gear list:sabesh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
dbarber996
Like?

Reignman40 wrote:

I also have the SEL35F18, but I find that focal length to be a bit more restrictive for everyday street usage. Plus it is physically much bigger (especially if you attach the lense hood) than the pancake.

I think I am going to get a SEL20F28 off of ebay and use it as my default walk-around lense coupled with the NEX-3N.

I was able to buy a SEL20 from ebay, brand new, for $250 ($100 less than retail).  I really like the lens - as others have said, it has truly makes a NEX camera pocket-able.

I will note that I always post-process in LR 5.3, in order to fix distortion/vignetting.  Love how the pics turn out.

dbarber996's gear list:dbarber996's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,641Gear list
Like?

E 35 and E 20 compliment each other well. I use them together. My copies cost $400 (Sony discount around Christmas) and $250 (ebay) respectively. Also picked up ECU1 off ebay for $78 (works on E 20 as 15mm option).

The E20 is pretty good wide open (although during the day I don't care for any larger than f/4).

I skipped kit zoom lenses on my NEX-6. If I ever needed one, I can dig into my A-mount collection including the tiny Minolta 35-70/4, which I can use with MB speedbooster... As a 25-50/2.8 lens (pocketable with tue adapter).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Fstop85
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

I think the 20mm f2.8 is an excellent lens if you want to keep your NEX pocketable and still get high quality images. I pair it with the 50mm f1.8 for a compact kit that produces far better images than I ever got with the 16-50mm.

I've just spent 2 weeks in Indonesia shooting with these two lenses as well as my DSLR kit. I was so impressed with them that the D600 rarely came out of my backpack.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64122570@N06/sets/72157632209493585/

Fstop85's gear list:Fstop85's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +5 more
dbarber996
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 6 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Also picked up ECU1 off ebay for $78 (works on E 20 as 15mm option).

Sorry to take the thread OT, but can you write a little more about this?  I asked SONY (via chat on their website and an email to their official eBay page) and both times was told the ECU1 and ECF1 were only for the SEL16.

Is their full functionality with the SEL20?  How exactly do these adapters work?  What does the FF equivalent end up being with the ECU1?  Does Lightroom recognize that there's an adapter on the lens when looking at EXIF data?  If so, does it have a profile for the adapter?

Many thanks!

dbarber996's gear list:dbarber996's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads