Olympus E-M10 raw conversion

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,947Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-M10 raw conversion
5 months ago

While we wait for the grass to grow and for Adobe to adapt ACR, Lightroom, DNG Converter, etc. for the E-M10, what's the most convenient / effective / whatever way to convert the ORF files from this camera. Some options I can think of are:

• Olympus Image Viewer
  • Raw Therapee

That's about all there is on my shortlist. I've tried Oly Image Viewer and don't find it very comfortable, but of course a new piece of software hardly ever is. Have never installed and tried Raw Therapee.

I'm a Windows user, but suppose there will also be Mac users who would appreciate any forthcoming advice.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,226Gear list
Like?
Pretend it's an EM-5.
In reply to morepix, 5 months ago

There was a post not long ago that when the string EM-10 in the RAW image file is replaced by EM-5 (and a padding nul-character) ACR and/or Lightroom will just open it as if it were from an EM-5. This means the RAW files are essentially the same except for the camera name string.

This may not work with all raw converters but supposedly this one works. I have not tried it (and I do not own an EM-10).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
morepix
Like?
Re: Pretend it's an EM-5.
In reply to Paul De Bra, 5 months ago

Paul,

I'll have to look into what to use as an EXIF editor, especially one that will batch process images. And even then, I'm not sure I'm going to want to do it.

But thanks for the lead.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,397Gear list
Like?

morepix wrote:

Paul,

I'll have to look into what to use as an EXIF editor, especially one that will batch process images. And even then, I'm not sure I'm going to want to do it.

But thanks for the lead.

I used this trick with the F770 (changing it to F550) and it worked well enough. I believe that I used EXIFGUITOOL ...

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,049
Like?
Re: Olympus E-M10 raw conversion

You can experiment with  just changing the file info in windows and see if that works. If you left-click the orf and look at the file info you should be able to click the camera model box and put in a different one. Try EM-5 and EM-1 and see if either of those works.

I did that when the E5 came out. I typed in E30 and the files opened just fine in Lightroom, no exif editor needed.

For now though it doesn't hurt to learn Viewer. It has be improved a lot and can be quite useful. It does batch editing now, among other things.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,527Gear list
Like?

Week ago I've found that "Perfect Effects 8" opens and converts RAW, in my case RW2. I hope it can convert ORFs too

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
morepix
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, 5 months ago

jkrumm wrote:

You can experiment with just changing the file info in windows and see if that works. If you left-click the orf and look at the file info you should be able to click the camera model box and put in a different one. Try EM-5 and EM-1 and see if either of those works.

That seemed a tempting idea, but ...

When I single left-clicked an ORF file, nothing happened. When I double clicked it, Windows Live Photo Gallery tried to open it (but failed). You may have a different version of Windows than I do (Win 7 in my case). If I just change the camera model name in the Properties box after right-clicking the file, I can change the model name from E-M10 to E-M5 all right, but that doesn't make Photoshop CC like it any better.

Thank you for the tempting suggestion. Maybe I'll have to muster up a little patience and wait until Adobe released at least a release candidate for ACR 8.4.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 5 months ago

That's an interesting idea. So I opened the ORF file OK in Perfect Photo Suite, and it did open OK. Then I can save it as a full-size PSD or TIF or whatever type I want (full-size, not the embedded JPG), but then it's already been "cooked" by Perfect Photo, not allowing any of the usual modifications to the tone, color, etc., of the raw file.

I'm not sure one ends up any better off that way than just using a JPG right out of the camera. What do you think?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 5 months ago

Kim,

That's an interesting idea. I did find EXIFToolGUI, which as its name suggests has had a GUI tacked onto an older command-line program called EXIFTool.

I could have a go at it, except I've pretty much run out of energy for this project today. After all, it's still speculative at this point whether it'll actually fool Lightroom and Photoshop. Maybe another wandering soul will come across your post and feel like trying it.

For now, I'm more or less content to (1) live with JPGs until Adobe comes through with a new rev of ACR; or (2) tackle the learning curve of Olympus Image Viewer; or (3) go back to my Stylus 1 while I wait. Life is full of options, isn't it?

I just hope the powers in raw-heaven will forgive me for actually using OOC JPG files!

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

s_grins
Like?

morepix wrote:

That's an interesting idea. So I opened the ORF file OK in Perfect Photo Suite, and it did open OK. Then I can save it as a full-size PSD or TIF or whatever type I want (full-size, not the embedded JPG), but then it's already been "cooked" by Perfect Photo, not allowing any of the usual modifications to the tone, color, etc., of the raw file.

I'm not sure one ends up any better off that way than just using a JPG right out of the camera. What do you think?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Yes, you can open RAW develop it to your tastes, save it as PSD, TIFF, or JPG. RAW remains intact

I'm undereducated person, and can't comment on JPG that is embedded in RAW. I have not found it in my RW2

Also you can open your JPG, develop it to your tastes, and save it or save it as copy having your original JPG intact.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
s_grins
Like?

morepix wrote:

jkrumm wrote:

You can experiment with just changing the file info in windows and see if that works. If you left-click the orf and look at the file info you should be able to click the camera model box and put in a different one. Try EM-5 and EM-1 and see if either of those works.

When I single left-clicked an ORF file, nothing happened. When I double clicked it, Windows Live Photo Gallery tried to open it (but failed). You may have a different version of Windows than I do (Win 7 in my case). If I just change the camera model name in the Properties box after right-clicking the file, I can change the model name from E-M10 to E-M5 all right, but that doesn't make Photoshop CC like it any better.

Thank you for the tempting suggestion. Maybe I'll have to muster up a little patience and wait until Adobe released at least a release candidate for ACR 8.4.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

I run W7 ultimate 64 bit, and after I've installed latest camera codec, I preview all my RAWs in Windows Live Photo Gallery. I do not know why I'm so lucky while many others complain.

-- hide signature --

morepix
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 5 months ago

s_grins wrote:

Yes, you can open RAW develop it to your tastes, save it as PSD, TIFF, or JPG. RAW remains intact

Simon,

I don't think the world works that way -- at least, not my world. Once a raw image is demosaiced (i.e., converted from the Bayer pixel layout to an interpolated raster image) -- and particularly once they're reduced to 8-bits, as JPG images are -- you lose some of the leeway that raw files offer for adjusting tone, color, sharpness, noise, etc. Yes, you can certainly manipulate those qualities further to some extent in another type of file, but not to the same extent as in a real-life raw file.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Cheezr
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?

If you have a mac here is the link to the converter, enjoy.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3620404

-- hide signature --

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Cheezr's gear list:Cheezr's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
s_grins
Like?

morepix wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Simon,

I don't think the world works that way -- at least, not my world. Once a raw image is demosaiced (i.e., converted from the Bayer pixel layout to an interpolated raster image) -- and particularly once they're reduced to 8-bits, as JPG images are -- you lose some of the leeway that raw files offer for adjusting tone, color, sharpness, noise, etc. Yes, you can certainly manipulate those qualities further to some extent in another type of file, but not to the same extent as in a real-life raw file.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

We live in different worlds. My SilkyPix and new Perfect Effects do not do anything to RAWs.

-- hide signature --

micampe
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

Yes it works, that’s what I’m doing.

morepix
Like?
In reply to micampe, 5 months ago

micampe wrote:

Also with EXIFToolGUI? Also with an E-M10? Also processing in Lightroom and/or Photoshop CC?

If so, it's back to work for me tomorrow!

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

micampe
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

micampe wrote:

Also with EXIFToolGUI? Also with an E-M10? Also processing in Lightroom and/or Photoshop CC?

If so, it's back to work for me tomorrow!

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Exiftool (no GUI because I'm old school), E-M10 posing as E-M5 (tried E-M1 but colors were all wrong), Lightroom 5, on a Mac.

morepix
Like?
In reply to micampe, 5 months ago

Ah, for those hair-on-the-chest days of command-line processing. How I miss DOS, Unix shell scripts, etc!

The color issue you noted dims it for me, reminds me how much custom tailoring goes into each raw conversion that's right for one camera but not for another, even a close relative. More encouragement to be a little patient and wait.

As far as I can see, Adobe seems to be releasing new versions of ACR on about three-month intervals: Sept 2013, Dec 2013. So now maybe ver 8.4 in March 2014. Meanwhile, JPG gets a little better each time.

Thanks for the info.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

beomagi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul De Bra, 5 months ago

Darned tablet hit withdrawpost.....

I analyzed the raws from here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m10/olympus-e-m10A7.HTM

Against an em5

So seeing the difference, ran this command

Sed comes from gow(gnu on windows)

Xxd comes from installing gvim(a text editor)

C:\Temp>xxd EM10INBI06400.ORF|sed "s/452d 4d31 3020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 E-
M10/452d 4d35 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 E-M5/"|xxd -r >conv.orf

What this is doing is converting the binary fine to hex, substituting a string, and converting it back to binary, dumping it to conv.orf.

Here is the result, give it a try.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byn3RaVwsVuvV3V4RTNEbzFkX2c/edit?usp=sharing

I use UFRAW so it doesn't matter to me. Lets see if it works in ACR. Exit was read right in irfanview.

beomagi's gear list:beomagi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +4 more
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,728Gear list
Like?

morepix wrote:

jkrumm wrote:

I'm not running Windows as my main computer any longer but I think he meant "right click". I believe that brings up what he is referring to.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads