1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?
1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
10 months ago

Don't read if you have already bought one.

Albert

 fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,110Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to fotobert, 10 months ago

I read that review yesterday.

I imagine the conclusion will go oever well with the lens' fans:

" It seems, though, that only Zeiss was serious about it and Nikon was joking all along, trying to sell you a rough piece of trash for a lot of money under a cover of a storied Nikon legacy."

 paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to fotobert, 10 months ago

fotobert wrote:

Don't read if you have already bought one.

Uh-oh... should I return it?

Cause I JUST LOVE IT!

Thank God for AF

 Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
This Time, Truly Not Recommended
In reply to paulski66, 10 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

I read that review yesterday.

I imagine the conclusion will go oever well with the lens' fans:

" It seems, though, that only Zeiss was serious about it and Nikon was joking all along, trying to sell you a rough piece of trash for a lot of money under a cover of a storied Nikon legacy."

I misreported the Cameralabs review of this len as "Not Recommended" when the actual conclusion was "not highly recommended."  After reading their actually conclusions, one might understand why I was in error.  That review found few characteristics of the 58mm (I think they did find it sharp in the center) praiseworthy, opining that it is not worth 4-5X the price of the earlier 50mm 1.4G.

Well, unlike the Cameralabs reviewers,  the lads in Poland definitely do not believe in sugarcoating their conclusions. It looks like they were quite disappointed with their copy.  I think that it's safe to say that Lenstip is not  giving even a qualified recommendation for this lens.

Yesterday, I found my 85mm 1.4G too long and my Sigma 35mm 1.4 too short for my purposes.  Here's hoping that the forthcoming Sigma 50mm 1.4 comes closer to expectations than does Nikon's 58mm 1.4G.

 gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: This Time, Truly Not Recommended
In reply to gatorowl, 10 months ago

gatorowl wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

I read that review yesterday.

I imagine the conclusion will go oever well with the lens' fans:

" It seems, though, that only Zeiss was serious about it and Nikon was joking all along, trying to sell you a rough piece of trash for a lot of money under a cover of a storied Nikon legacy."

I misreported the Cameralabs review of this len as "Not Recommended" when the actual conclusion was "not highly recommended." After reading their actually conclusions, one might understand why I was in error. That review found few characteristics of the 58mm (I think they did find it sharp in the center) praiseworthy, opining that it is not worth 4-5X the price of the earlier 50mm 1.4G.

Well, unlike the Cameralabs reviewers, the lads in Poland definitely do not believe in sugarcoating their conclusions. It looks like they were quite disappointed with their copy. I think that it's safe to say that Lenstip is not giving even a qualified recommendation for this lens.

Yesterday, I found my 85mm 1.4G too long and my Sigma 35mm 1.4 too short for my purposes. Here's hoping that the forthcoming Sigma 50mm 1.4 comes closer to expectations than does Nikon's 58mm 1.4G.

Ouch....probably the worst conclusion I have read there... and this 'high image quality in the frame centre from f/2.8, ' is not good for that (being sold as a top notch 1.4 lens) .

Also, the mention of the strange AF. And the resolution test chart is a disaster. Yes, I agree, it is photos that are the ultimate test, but really, most very good lenses still test well at lenstip.

But the image posted below by PM seems nice and sharp, lovely pic, I wonder...sample variation ?...even that in such an expensive lens..

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

 Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 10 months ago

Nice indeed, I wonder about sample variation...

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

 Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 770Gear list
Like?
Ouch...
In reply to fotobert, 10 months ago

n.t.

 eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
Re: This Time, Truly Not Recommended
In reply to Bajerunner, 10 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

gatorowl wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

I read that review yesterday.

I imagine the conclusion will go oever well with the lens' fans:

" It seems, though, that only Zeiss was serious about it and Nikon was joking all along, trying to sell you a rough piece of trash for a lot of money under a cover of a storied Nikon legacy."

I misreported the Cameralabs review of this len as "Not Recommended" when the actual conclusion was "not highly recommended." After reading their actually conclusions, one might understand why I was in error. That review found few characteristics of the 58mm (I think they did find it sharp in the center) praiseworthy, opining that it is not worth 4-5X the price of the earlier 50mm 1.4G.

Well, unlike the Cameralabs reviewers, the lads in Poland definitely do not believe in sugarcoating their conclusions. It looks like they were quite disappointed with their copy. I think that it's safe to say that Lenstip is not giving even a qualified recommendation for this lens.

Yesterday, I found my 85mm 1.4G too long and my Sigma 35mm 1.4 too short for my purposes. Here's hoping that the forthcoming Sigma 50mm 1.4 comes closer to expectations than does Nikon's 58mm 1.4G.

Ouch....probably the worst conclusion I have read there... and this 'high image quality in the frame centre from f/2.8, ' is not good for that (being sold as a top notch 1.4 lens) .

Also, the mention of the strange AF. And the resolution test chart is a disaster. Yes, I agree, it is photos that are the ultimate test, but really, most very good lenses still test well at lenstip.

But the image posted below by PM seems nice and sharp, lovely pic, I wonder...sample variation ?...even that in such an expensive lens..

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Two poor-mediocre reviews does not a trend make.  However, it does give me pause.

 gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
valdazis
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to fotobert, 10 months ago

I just read it..... and must say that it's really sad what is happening in Nikon's camp lately. Even if it is a sample variation, but is this justifiable for a product for £1599 ? For such a price every single one of them should be certified and flawless!

Seriously,  I love the vision and mission of this company, but recent issues with the production and the outcomes do not correspond together. Maybe they really should just develop some network research dept. to see what is happening around, just like Fuji did. At the moment seems that Nikon is lost in the fog... sorry guys

 valdazis's gear list:valdazis's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,714Gear list
Like?
Why would anyone care?
In reply to fotobert, 10 months ago

Do people actually read that site? I'd trust Ken R's opinion before I would that site lol! They have swung and missed so many times reviewing lenses they have less than zero credibility.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,714Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to Bajerunner, 10 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

Nice indeed, I wonder about sample variation...

What we don't have to wonder is "does lenstip know how to test a lens", the answer is a resounding NO!

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,714Gear list
Like?
Re: This Time, Truly Not Recommended
In reply to Bajerunner, 10 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

 most very good lenses still test well at lenstip.

Actually several very well regarded lenses that tested well at other sites "failed" at lenstip.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 10 months ago

I don't own the 58mm. I can't afford it. I couldn't justify buying it if I could afford it.

BUT, if I could in any way afford or justify buying this lens I would pick it up in a heartbeat. I have seen way to many absolutely stunning images taken with this lens. I would even learn portrait photography if it would justify the money spent.

Subject isolation and tonal gradation with this lens sets it apart from any thing I have seen in a long while.

Camera Labs has never impressed me and I wonder as do others if LensTip got a bad copy. Their sample shots don't look anything like what others have posted.

This photo and the other 58mms in your gallery exhibit the qualities I am talking about,  Patrick, thank you,

-- hide signature --

Pete

 ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 10 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

Uh-oh... should I return it?

Nope, just send it to me.  I'll take care of "disposing" of it for you.

I don't know that I'm necessarily sick of sites like these....they certainly hold SOME value....but I am sick of how much importance people tend to place on them.  "Hard" numbers certainly hold value and I'm not going to try to diminish that, but when dealing with the things we are in photography, there are also things that the "hard" numbers don't show.  This is a perfect example of that.

 jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thelenspainter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to ormdig, 10 months ago

ormdig wrote:

Camera Labs has never impressed me and I wonder as do others if LensTip got a bad copy. Their sample shots don't look anything like what others have posted.

Actually the one thing I like about Camera Labs is that they are one of the only sites that consistently test lenses at infinity (with their 'unremarkables' shots). These are fantastic if one is trying to choose a landscape lens.

 thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to thelenspainter, 10 months ago

thelenspainter wrote:

ormdig wrote:

Camera Labs has never impressed me and I wonder as do others if LensTip got a bad copy. Their sample shots don't look anything like what others have posted.

Actually the one thing I like about Camera Labs is that they are one of the only sites that consistently test lenses at infinity (with their 'unremarkables' shots). These are fantastic if one is trying to choose a landscape lens.

Hi, the only problem with infinity shots is the role that atmospheric effects can have on the image. I've noticed many time that CameraLabs "unremarkables" seem hazy at distance. Where I live (Arkansas) it is a rare day when the atmosphere is truly clear. I like to shoot C130s as they fly right overhead and I have learned to not even think about it unless it is one of those rare days as I will be disappointed by the results.

-- hide signature --

Pete

 ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
valdazis
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: list of the other reviews - all of them tell more or less the same:
In reply to Stacey_K, 10 months ago
 valdazis's gear list:valdazis's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,714Gear list
Like?
Re: list of the other reviews - all of them tell more or less the same:
In reply to valdazis, 10 months ago

valdazis wrote:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_afs_nikkor_58mm_f_1_4_g_review/conclusion/

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1660/cat/12

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-af-s-nikkor-58mm-f-1-4g-lens-review-23633

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon-58mm-f1-4g/6

none of them give excellent value... for £1599 - no more comments

*sigh* of course it isn't a "good value".

I guess you missed quotes like " For applications such as environmental portraits or low-light shooting at large apertures, it's superb." etc. Total fail test sites like slrgear and lenstip measure sharpness and a couple of other "attributes" and assign a rating based on that oh and heavily weigh in the price. A photographer would "value" a lens like this, a techy gear head who loves to pixel peep at the minimum money spent won't.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,714Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to ormdig, 10 months ago

ormdig wrote:

.... and I wonder as do others if LensTip got a bad copy. Their sample shots don't look anything like what others have posted.

I'm not sure the people at lenstip know how to focus a lens or even understand what being OOF is.. Their test shots from the 70-300 tamron are clearly OOF.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Why would anyone care? Of course many do
In reply to Stacey_K, 10 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

Do people actually read that site? I'd trust Ken R's opinion before I would that site lol! They have swung and missed so many times reviewing lenses they have less than zero credibility.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Lenstip does seem well regarded. And their resolution chart test is definitive fact, not play. As is their AF testing.

That said, two things that they cannot test for:

- sample variation

- how a lens renders other than strict 'testing'

Both of which may be at issue here.

But to write off Lenstip, is a matter of opinion, not fact. They provide the evidence in their website, and to compare to anecdotal sites other places is going past it, really.

I am not a huge fan of brickwall tests either, but the Lenstip tests have some value, as with anything else, taken with consideration.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

 Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads