Problems with a7 that need firmware update

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
joao 43
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

In low light specially in weddings your better off with MF. Your technique may vary but I wouldn't advise using AF at all. Being myself a wedding/event photographer I traded my D800E for the A7 and some Zeiss, Voigtlander and Leica lenses (M). It's lighter, more practical, smaller, and accurate. And the best thing, it's a great partner to my A99.

I think AF and MF is a personal, subjective thing. Not all shoot the same way. Specially those like us that make a living out of photography.

Best wishes

joao 43's gear list:joao 43's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joao 43
Like?
In reply to Diego Sevilla, 10 months ago

Diego Sevilla wrote:

I agree with most of the problems. I also would like that the magnifying in view mode does it incrementally, instead of magnifying so much that I immediately have to zoom out.

Also, zooming focus for manual AF needs two button, first the dedicated button (down dial or C3, in my case), then the center dial to set the magnification point. It would be much better magnification to happen just at once where you left it, then you can use the cursor to move the view.

The reflections on the sensor is something I'm not sure can be fixed in firmware, but it is *TRULY* embarrasing to release such a high profile camera producing that UGLY reflections with light points when near the frame edge.

I use the AF/MF button is faster and more practical specially when using the EVF and it's a one button only workflow. That function is not being use anyway since your MF. I leave the rest of the C buttons for other things.

Regards

Olympus PEN E-P1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +7 more
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?

-DRO MODE does not work on RAW,  I shoot with it on and the resulting preview on the cam looks good but when I import the raws it doesn't apply.  It did adjust RAWs on the a99/a77

Catnapp
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

Hi all,

+1 for better low light AF!

best

Catnapp

Gary Friedman
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

The sensor (which is responsible for focusing on mirrorless cameras) is blind to IR light, and therefore can't see the AF assist lights coming from the flash.  That's why they're not enabled, and that's why the orange light (which is within the visible spectrum) is used instead.

However, the flash's AF assist lights SHOULD work when the LA-EA4 adapter attached (if Sony thought to check for it in firmware).  I'm going to have to test that tomorrow.

Gary Friedman

Dustinash
Like?
In reply to Gary Friedman, 10 months ago

Gary Friedman wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

The sensor (which is responsible for focusing on mirrorless cameras) is blind to IR light, and therefore can't see the AF assist lights coming from the flash. That's why they're not enabled, and that's why the orange light (which is within the visible spectrum) is used instead.

However, the flash's AF assist lights SHOULD work when the LA-EA4 adapter attached (if Sony thought to check for it in firmware). I'm going to have to test that tomorrow.

Gary Friedman

Nope.   Alpha glass won't use any AF light.

Dustinash
Like?

-Camera viewfinder gains up when focusing.  I just find this annoying.  This is the kind of thing that makes people dislike EVF.

Dustinash
Like?
In reply to joao 43, 10 months ago

joao 43 wrote:

In low light specially in weddings your better off with MF. Your technique may vary but I wouldn't advise using AF at all. Being myself a wedding/event photographer I traded my D800E for the A7 and some Zeiss, Voigtlander and Leica lenses (M). It's lighter, more practical, smaller, and accurate. And the best thing, it's a great partner to my A99.

I think AF and MF is a personal, subjective thing. Not all shoot the same way. Specially those like us that make a living out of photography.

Best wishes

I have also shot with the d800 and have owned an alpha since they came out.  I totally agree manual focus is great but there are certain points in a wedding when it is insufficient to capture what is going on.

Like when the bride is walking down the aisle towards you it is very hard to keep up with manual focus and the hit rate from AF is higher.

However I do agree that it is more how I shoot and what my expectations are.  Some of the worlds best wedding photographers only use manual focus with film

djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: The #1 problem

Dustinash wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

The only really serious problem is that the camera does not allow a minimum shutter speed to be set in A mode.

I'd really like this to be fixed by allowing the user to specify per lens minimum shutter speed, and allow me to tell the camera which unchipped lens I have mounted (rather than just "shoot without lens") and also include that lens info in the EXIF data... but even just a simple customization setting would be a huge improvement.

That is a problem as well as not being able to set minimum and max iso for Auto Iso

...but you can set min/max ISO in auto ISO.  Would still be good to set min shutter speed though.

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
spacemn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137
Like?

Dustinash wrote:

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

-low light af is not good.

Please comment or add

Low light AF is not really a problem. If Sony can improve anything in firmware, of course that would be nice.

My experience is that AF in very low light with the A7 + the FE 35mm is good with focus assist light ON (dramatically better than with it OFF), although less fast than in good light.

It would be interesting to see a low light AF test vs the 6D or D610 WHEN turning of the live view effects so that AF is done wide open at all times like the DSLRs.

Miki Nemeth
Contributing MemberPosts: 712Gear list
Like?
Dustin Ash's Wedding Photography Techniques with A7

Dustinash wrote:

joao 43 wrote:

I have also shot with the d800 and have owned an alpha since they came out. I totally agree manual focus is great but there are certain points in a wedding when it is insufficient to capture what is going on.

Like when the bride is walking down the aisle towards you it is very hard to keep up with manual focus and the hit rate from AF is higher.

However I do agree that it is more how I shoot and what my expectations are. Some of the worlds best wedding photographers only use manual focus with film

Hi Dustin, I like you comments a lot. I am just a progressing fun-photographer, but I am very much interested in the shooting techniques that professional photographers apply. A have learned a lot from this young fellow (Cheng of ZY Productions) In his explanation  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2pe3kisBI8#t=7m18s  the videographer uses a (ultra) wide-angle on a glide-cam. I guess, this is a kind of "zone focusing" the lens being set to MF; here, the videographer does not even touch the camera. Can a still image shooter use this trick? I am very much interested in listening to your opinion and comments. Thank You, Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +24 more
Dustinash
Like?
Re: Dustin Ash's Wedding Photography Techniques with A7
In reply to Miki Nemeth, 10 months ago

Miki Nemeth wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

joao 43 wrote:

I have also shot with the d800 and have owned an alpha since they came out. I totally agree manual focus is great but there are certain points in a wedding when it is insufficient to capture what is going on.

However I do agree that it is more how I shoot and what my expectations are. Some of the worlds best wedding photographers only use manual focus with film

Hi Dustin, I like you comments a lot. I am just a progressing fun-photographer, but I am very much interested in the shooting techniques that professional photographers apply. A have learned a lot from this young fellow (Cheng of ZY Productions) In his explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2pe3kisBI8#t=7m18s the videographer uses a (ultra) wide-angle on a glide-cam. I guess, this is a kind of "zone focusing" the lens being set to MF; here, the videographer does not even touch the camera. Can a still image shooter use this trick? I am very much interested in listening to your opinion and comments. Thank You, Miki

Absolutely you can and you are dead on, he is zone focusing.  The thing with zone focusing is that as your lens gets wider your depth of field increases so with very wide lenses you almost don't need to focus at all.  Also of course as the lens aperture is stopped up (to higher f stops like f11) you also greatly increase depth of field.

The issue is that though you use some wides when shooting a wedding to capture the scene and for groups and occasionally to do a landscape portrait combo, your bread and butter is more tele with bigger apertures (f1.4-f5.6).  The reason is that the longer lenses give more flattering look to portraits (wide angles distort peoples features) and the the tele+wide aperture allows for nice bokeh and subject isolation.

So yes you absolutely could shoot like that but only at selective points.

Dustinash
Like?
In reply to spacemn, 10 months ago

spacemn wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

Please comment or add

Low light AF is not really a problem. If Sony can improve anything in firmware, of course that would be nice.

My experience is that AF in very low light with the A7 + the FE 35mm is good with focus assist light ON (dramatically better than with it OFF), although less fast than in good light.

It would be interesting to see a low light AF test vs the 6D or D610 WHEN turning of the live view effects so that AF is done wide open at all times like the DSLRs.

The focus assist light is glaring and god awfully bright and ugly and a problem all in itself.  I would NEVER shoot with that ghastly thing on.

joao 43
Like?

Gary Friedman wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

The sensor (which is responsible for focusing on mirrorless cameras) is blind to IR light, and therefore can't see the AF assist lights coming from the flash. That's why they're not enabled, and that's why the orange light (which is within the visible spectrum) is used instead.

However, the flash's AF assist lights SHOULD work when the LA-EA4 adapter attached (if Sony thought to check for it in firmware). I'm going to have to test that tomorrow.

Gary Friedman

Hi Gary,

looking forward to see your A7 book. The a99 is a must.

I just hope Sony listen to user this time, the A7 is a great camera with small glitches.

Best wishes.

Gary Friedman
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?

Dustinash wrote:

Gary Friedman

Nope. Alpha glass won't use any AF light.

Verified.  A-mount glass via an LA-EA4 adapter does not enable the flash's near-IR LEDs for AF assist.  (Or the orange LED in the camera body for that matter!)  (This is a lost opportunity in my mind, since I don't believe there's a technical reason for it to be disabled.)

GF

LouMeluso
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?

Gee, if these are the "problems" with the A7, I gotta get me one.

LouMeluso's gear list:LouMeluso's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Dustinash
Like?
In reply to LouMeluso, 10 months ago

LouMeluso wrote:

Gee, if these are the "problems" with the A7, I gotta get me one.

Don't get me wrong - the camera is superb.

but.. one more issue

-MANUAL FOCUS ASSIST needs to be either set to a customizable button or have the option to enable just in AF (DMF MODE) or in Manual focus or both.  It is exceptionally nice in DMF mode but it is too overwhelming in MF mode.  The ideal would be enable it to set to a button!

spacemn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137
Like?

Dustinash wrote:

spacemn wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

Please comment or add

The focus assist light is glaring and god awfully bright and ugly and a problem all in itself. I would NEVER shoot with that ghastly thing on.

Suit yourself. The light will actually let you focus in almost complete darkness and make a dramatic difference in very low light. Luckily for you it can be turned off and just practice on MF, it rocks.

If not, go back to your beloved DSLR

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,716
Like?

Dustinash wrote:

-DRO MODE does not work on RAW, I shoot with it on and the resulting preview on the cam looks good but when I import the raws it doesn't apply. It did adjust RAWs on the a99/a77

It should NOT apply to raw files. It replicates in the JPG processing what you do by hand in the raw processor -- setting the black and white points, fill light and highlight recovery.

The whole point of shooting raw is to apply your judgement and experience to each individual image. For instance, some will need fill light and others will not, but these can look identical to an automatic process in the camera.

Dustinash
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 10 months ago

D Cox wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-DRO MODE does not work on RAW, I shoot with it on and the resulting preview on the cam looks good but when I import the raws it doesn't apply. It did adjust RAWs on the a99/a77

It should NOT apply to raw files. It replicates in the JPG processing what you do by hand in the raw processor -- setting the black and white points, fill light and highlight recovery.

The whole point of shooting raw is to apply your judgement and experience to each individual image. For instance, some will need fill light and others will not, but these can look identical to an automatic process in the camera.

I am sure it applied to RAWS on the a99.  And I liked it because it made a more balanced exposure which I could tweak later.  Not a big deal though.  I look forward to a camera that produces TIFFs

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads