Problems with a7 that need firmware update

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
Problems with a7 that need firmware update
10 months ago

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

-low light af is not good.

Please comment or add

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,558Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

I don't think the low light AF can be fixed with firmware. But available light AF is right up near the top of what I want in a camera.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,820Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

I would add that the "finder/monitor/auto" should just be a toggle that can be assigned to a button. IE - using the button would switch between monitor and finder and/or both off. I could completely and utterly live without "auto" mode if I had this.

-low light af is not good.

It is better on the 55 1.8 than on the 35 2.8, but I agree that it hunts a bit. However, no worse than a D600.

Please comment or add

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,161Gear list
Like?
The #1 problem
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

The only really serious problem is that the camera does not allow a minimum shutter speed to be set in A mode.

I'd really like this to be fixed by allowing the user to specify per lens minimum shutter speed, and allow me to tell the camera which unchipped lens I have mounted (rather than just "shoot without lens") and also include that lens info in the EXIF data... but even just a simple customization setting would be a huge improvement.

 ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,492Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to stevo23, 10 months ago

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

I would add that the "finder/monitor/auto" should just be a toggle that can be assigned to a button. IE - using the button would switch between monitor and finder and/or both off. I could completely and utterly live without "auto" mode if I had this.

-low light af is not good.

It is better on the 55 1.8 than on the 35 2.8, but I agree that it hunts a bit. However, no worse than a D600.

Please comment or add

No worse than a D600? Interesting. I can't wait to try an A7, because there are soooo many conflicting reports on the AF it gets your head spinning
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

 cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to cheddargav, 10 months ago

cheddargav wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

I would add that the "finder/monitor/auto" should just be a toggle that can be assigned to a button. IE - using the button would switch between monitor and finder and/or both off. I could completely and utterly live without "auto" mode if I had this.

-low light af is not good.

It is better on the 55 1.8 than on the 35 2.8, but I agree that it hunts a bit. However, no worse than a D600.

Please comment or add

No worse than a D600? Interesting. I can't wait to try an A7, because there are soooo many conflicting reports on the AF it gets your head spinning
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

I found better ability to AF lock a target in really dim light with a Nikon D5100 and kit zoom than with my A7 and kit zoom. This was entirely due to the brightness of the D5100 AF assist lamp. When I illuminated the target with a laser pointer, the A7 locked it perfectly.

Note that I tried the A7 with and without the AF assist lamp enabled... it didn't make a difference.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

 SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,189Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to stevo23, 10 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

I would add that the "finder/monitor/auto" should just be a toggle that can be assigned to a button. IE - using the button would switch between monitor and finder and/or both off. I could completely and utterly live without "auto" mode if I had this.

-low light af is not good.

It is better on the 55 1.8 than on the 35 2.8, but I agree that it hunts a bit. However, no worse than a D600.

Please comment or add

Too bad it didn't get the A6000 improvements in AF, although Sony could have included those. Next time probably.

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,558Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to cheddargav, 10 months ago

cheddargav wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

I would add that the "finder/monitor/auto" should just be a toggle that can be assigned to a button. IE - using the button would switch between monitor and finder and/or both off. I could completely and utterly live without "auto" mode if I had this.

-low light af is not good.

It is better on the 55 1.8 than on the 35 2.8, but I agree that it hunts a bit. However, no worse than a D600.

Please comment or add

No worse than a D600? Interesting. I can't wait to try an A7, because there are soooo many conflicting reports on the AF it gets your head spinning

I have owned the D600 and I have used the A7R and Zeiss 55 for a week and I could not disagree more with the statement that the A7 and 55 are on par with the D600 in lower light. I found a huge difference between the 2. The D600 is close to my Canon 6D, but the A7 is much closer to the typical E mount camera when it comes to lower light and AF.

But as you noted, the reports are conflicting. That's exactly why I spent the money to rent the A7/R because I wanted to see for myself.

 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?
Re: The #1 problem
In reply to ProfHankD, 10 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:

The only really serious problem is that the camera does not allow a minimum shutter speed to be set in A mode.

I'd really like this to be fixed by allowing the user to specify per lens minimum shutter speed, and allow me to tell the camera which unchipped lens I have mounted (rather than just "shoot without lens") and also include that lens info in the EXIF data... but even just a simple customization setting would be a huge improvement.

I agree, tired of seeing 1/60th on my camera all the time in A mode!

 Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

agree!

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

anything to save battery I am all for.

-low light af is not good.

With peaking you just don't need it. Give it a shot in MF mode for a few weeks. You will be surprised just how good you do. Put peaking on low, yellow. You can also set the effects to black and white and use peaking. Then your screen shows in B&W, and as long as you are shooting RAW your images come out in color!

Makes it really easy to see what surfaces peaking hits and are therefore in focus. I use this with back focus as well.

Please comment or add

 Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
AF Light not working with Alpha glass is huge....
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

This is a huge oversight, and the first thing I noticed. It renders the LAEA4 partially pointless, since the native E glass will autofocus in lower light since it uses the assist light.

The LAEA4 is only useful for medium light, which isn't why I bought the thing.  I wanted to be able to replace my A99, which is not possible because of this oversight.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Euell, 10 months ago

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

I would add that the "finder/monitor/auto" should just be a toggle that can be assigned to a button. IE - using the button would switch between monitor and finder and/or both off. I could completely and utterly live without "auto" mode if I had this.

-low light af is not good.

It is better on the 55 1.8 than on the 35 2.8, but I agree that it hunts a bit. However, no worse than a D600.

Please comment or add

Too bad it didn't get the A6000 improvements in AF, although Sony could have included those. Next time probably.

No, not without an all new sensor.

Plus, the A6000 is not even available yet, we don't really know how good the AF really is.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
Re: The #1 problem
In reply to ProfHankD, 10 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:

The only really serious problem is that the camera does not allow a minimum shutter speed to be set in A mode.

I'd really like this to be fixed by allowing the user to specify per lens minimum shutter speed, and allow me to tell the camera which unchipped lens I have mounted (rather than just "shoot without lens") and also include that lens info in the EXIF data... but even just a simple customization setting would be a huge improvement.

That is a problem as well as not being able to set minimum and max iso for Auto Iso

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Chad Hardy, 10 months ago

Chad Hardy wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

agree!

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

anything to save battery I am all for.

-low light af is not good.

With peaking you just don't need it. Give it a shot in MF mode for a few weeks. You will be surprised just how good you do. Put peaking on low, yellow. You can also set the effects to black and white and use peaking. Then your screen shows in B&W, and as long as you are shooting RAW your images come out in color!

Makes it really easy to see what surfaces peaking hits and are therefore in focus. I use this with back focus as well.

Please comment or add

I like what you say here, however I do shoot a lot Manually, and some of my glass is solely manual focus.  But I am a wedding shooter which means i need fast autofocus to snap something that is moving and only exists for a second (i.e. a special moment).

Often I will capture in manual but it simply is not as quick and especially when the subject is moving. I am then more focused on focusing then watching the scene and the shots therefore have lesser quality because of imprecise timing.

Focus peaking is not reliable enough yet.  It gives false positives and sometimes doesn't show up at all.  That said I am using a combo of shooting techniques with this cam because both systems are solid but neither is perfect.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago
 Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
Re: AF Light not working with Alpha glass is huge....
In reply to viking79, 10 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

This is a huge oversight, and the first thing I noticed. It renders the LAEA4 partially pointless, since the native E glass will autofocus in lower light since it uses the assist light.

The LAEA4 is only useful for medium light, which isn't why I bought the thing. I wanted to be able to replace my A99, which is not possible because of this oversight.

Eric

I couldn't have said it better Eric.  I was looking for the perfect hybrid.  A camera I could shrink down and use small lenses when I wanted portability and pocket ability and subtlety and a camera that can beef up via the adapter and grip into an SLR camera.

Currently this problem is made drastically worse because the a7 (and worse still is the a7r) have poor, and I do mean POOR, low light focusing capability.  It is about equivalent to my cel phones.

This could be mitigated for pro shooters by having a great AF assist system such as the one flashes that is red hatched grid (and also on the a99). This grid system is excellent because it is very subtle and it helps the camera lock focus fast.

Right now I cannot use this camera as a low light event camera (Such as a wedding).  I will miss the shots of fast movement in low light.

Instead of hybridizing beautifully between alpha and FE I find I have a very "LOUD" low light camera with FE GLASS (No, not the shutter sound, the god awful glaring orange light which doesn't even work well to assist focus but gets subjects squinting at you in alarm).   And an altogether crippled autofocus with Alpha GLASS.  I would go so far as to say in low light you currently have to manual focus your alpha lenses and on some lenses such as the 24-70 f2.8 manual focusing is very difficult and slow because of the lens throw.  Maybe if they had the auto magnify option for alpha lenses it would be better but even then I would want to be able to turn that function off via one of the buttons.

On that note Sony did a SUPERB job of button layout and customizability.  On that front alone this is still the best camera I have EVER owned.  That said it is still halfway between a leica (superb optical quality and sheer manual focus) and a DSLR.

But I love it.  Its rad.  They seriously need to fix that AF flash AF assist interface tho.  And fix the overheat issue on the HVL-f60M as well.  That flash is currently an overheating toy not a pro flash.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zither
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

-low light af is not good.

Please comment or add

Based on my previous experience with Sony, they rarely release any firmware update. The problem will probably get fixed in the next A9/R, and, of course, you have to pay again.

 zither's gear list:zither's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,189Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to viking79, 10 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Dustinash wrote:

-the autofocus assist DOES NOT work with flashes, when you mount a sony flash and are using standard FE-mount lenses, the camera will still try and use its awful orange light instead of the much subtler red grid from the flash. AF assist light will not work at all with alpha glass.

-the back screen needs to be able to shut off rather then go black but still be powered. This is a waste of battery life and is just dumb. increase wake up speed and add in a faster sleep and the camera would almost be as efficient as a standard dslr with battery consumption.

I would add that the "finder/monitor/auto" should just be a toggle that can be assigned to a button. IE - using the button would switch between monitor and finder and/or both off. I could completely and utterly live without "auto" mode if I had this.

-low light af is not good.

It is better on the 55 1.8 than on the 35 2.8, but I agree that it hunts a bit. However, no worse than a D600.

Please comment or add

Too bad it didn't get the A6000 improvements in AF, although Sony could have included those. Next time probably.

No, not without an all new sensor.

Plus, the A6000 is not even available yet, we don't really know how good the AF really is.

Eric

We just don't know how much better the AF will be. Safe to say that with all the Sony hype the A6000 AF will be better than current models. Yes, the A7/A7r sensors would have to changed for PDAF, but I'm confident that Sony will get it right when the upgraded A7/A7r come out and include PDAF like Sony has for the A6000.

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?
Re: The #1 problem
In reply to ProfHankD, 10 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:

The only really serious problem is that the camera does not allow a minimum shutter speed to be set in A mode.

I'd really like this to be fixed by allowing the user to specify per lens minimum shutter speed, and allow me to tell the camera which unchipped lens I have mounted (rather than just "shoot without lens") and also include that lens info in the EXIF data... but even just a simple customization setting would be a huge improvement.

same problem with the NEX and as sony wouldnt even release an app correcting this never mins a firware update ... Silly Old Sony

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Diego Sevilla
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Problems with a7 that need firmware update
In reply to Dustinash, 10 months ago

I agree with most of the problems. I also would like that the magnifying in view mode does it incrementally, instead of magnifying so much that I immediately have to zoom out.

Also, zooming focus for manual AF needs two button, first the dedicated button (down dial or C3, in my case), then the center dial to set the magnification point. It would be much better magnification to happen just at once where you left it, then you can use the cursor to move the view.

The reflections on the sensor is something I'm not sure can be fixed in firmware, but it is *TRULY* embarrasing to release such a high profile camera producing that UGLY reflections with light points when near the frame edge.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads