LX7/LVF2 ?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
donfigor
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
LX7/LVF2 ?
2 months ago

I just received a used LVF2 from B&H,  when using the camera on IA the aperture may go up to f2.8 but then if I go to Manual or aperture priority the aperture will sometimes not open back up to f1.4 but it will stop down normally.  Turning the camera off and back on seems to restore it back to normal,  and I never had this problem without the LVF2.

Is this normal or should I return it?

Don

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,461Gear list
Like?
repeatability
In reply to donfigor, 2 months ago

donfigor wrote:

I just received a used LVF2 from B&H, when using the camera on IA the aperture may go up to f2.8 but then if I go to Manual or aperture priority the aperture will sometimes not open back up to f1.4 but it will stop down normally. Turning the camera off and back on seems to restore it back to normal, and I never had this problem without the LVF2.

Hi Don,

That is inexplicable. I would not return/exchange the LVF2 until I can repeat the behavior after several mount/unmount sequences with the LVF2, and with a camera full reset. If it remains absolutely repeatable, then try to get another LVF2 and do the same thing. That will tell you a lot. If it continues to happen with another LVF2, it's likely your camera.

I cannot imagine how the LVF2 would do this to your camera, but it's all computer programming these days and anything can happen inside a computer. I know. I program for a living and strange things just happen.

I've been using my LX7 and LVF2 for 16 months without issues. I wish you the best of luck.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
donfigor
Like?
Re: repeatability
In reply to James Pilcher, 2 months ago

Hi Jim,  thanks for your quick response.  I have done a reset and am still having the problem, I have noticed it is happening even if I just stay in manual mode and stop down for a few shots then go back to 1.4  it may only stop down to between 1.5-2.3 and the only way to get f1.4 back is to turn the camera off and back on.

I am in a quandary as I am to leave for a month to the the Philippines next week and would really like to have the viewfinder in the harsh light over there.

Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Re: LX7/LVF2 ?

I just received a used LVF2 from B&H,  when using the camera on IA the aperture may go up to f2.8 but then if I go to Manual or aperture priority the aperture will sometimes not open back up to f1.4 but it will stop down normally.  Turning the camera off and back on seems to restore it back to normal,  and I never had this problem without the LVF2.

Don

I also use the LX7 and LVF2 and have never had the latter do anything but reflect what would otherwise be on the lcd; it's just an alternative monitor so hard to understand how this is possible, though as the previous poster said strange things happen. Since the problem started, have you tried to replicate without the LVF2 attached? Perhaps the camera is just glitchy. Not sure if there is a firmware update for the LX7, but if there is, you might try that (analagous to rebooting a glitchy computer). You might even try to reload the current firmware if there is not update, though I'm not sure the camera will allow that. Personally, the last thing I'd do is give up on the viewfinder, which I find both wonderful and indespensible.

geoffmalter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,870Gear list
Like?

I too have the LX7/LVF2 combo (my LVF2 was recently purchased used). I have never experienced your issues. As pointed out already, the LVF, for all practical purposes, is just another LCD screen that should in no way interfere with the camera's operations. On aperture mode, are you manually adjusting the f-stop with the lens ring? That's what I do. Good luck.

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +4 more
donfigor
Like?
In reply to Lobalobo, 2 months ago

Thanks for your help guys,  It was just a rookie mistake on my part,  it was just when zoomed and the variable aperture fooling me.

Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?

donfigor wrote:

Thanks for your help guys, It was just a rookie mistake on my part, it was just when zoomed and the variable aperture fooling me.

I'm glad you got it worked out. I'm not sure I was completely understanding your problem but my first thought was that maybe you had the "Lens Resume" turned on or, at least, it wasn't in the widest zoom position. yes, the lens is variable so it can cause some confusion if you are trying to specifically set an aperture like F1.4 when the lens is zoomed in some amount.

I really want to get this EVF but the high price is keeping me from doing so.

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,461Gear list
Like?
Going on holiday

I'm glad you worked out your issue. Enjoy your trip to the Phillipines and be sure to post your best shots here when you get back. 

donfigor wrote:

I just received a used LVF2 from B&H, when using the camera on IA the aperture may go up to f2.8 but then if I go to Manual or aperture priority the aperture will sometimes not open back up to f1.4 but it will stop down normally. Turning the camera off and back on seems to restore it back to normal, and I never had this problem without the LVF2.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
LVF2 stabilization

I just joined the LVF2 crowd too. Being able to stabilize the camera against your face really helps to get more stable shots. Adds stability to an already stabilized lens. I snapped a few test shots at night under street lights w/o even really trying that hard and was impressed with how sharp the photos came out.

I'm not wedded to the visual angle of using a viewfinder per se, but I love the extra stabilization. Opens up more low light options for me.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Cyril Catt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,742
Like?
Re: LVF2 stabilization
In reply to tedandtricia, 2 months ago

tedandtricia wrote: I just joined the LVF2 crowd too. Being able to stabilize the camera against your face really helps to get more stable shots. Adds stability to an already stabilized lens. I snapped a few test shots at night under street lights w/o even really trying that hard and was impressed with how sharp the photos came out.

I'm not wedded to the visual angle of using a viewfinder per se, but I love the extra stabilization. Opens up more low light options for me. -- Ted http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/

Agreed, Ted. I seem to take a lot of handheld photos in dimly lit buildings - churches, mosques, museums, etc - where flash is not permitted, would be lost in the vast space, or would be rudely intrusive.

The alternative to eye-level composing is a small tabletop tripod  to steady the camera against any firm item - wall, lamppost, tree, or at a pinch, against sternum and top ribs. Although useful for longer exposures or HDR, that is not as convenient as using the LVF2.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads