Sony a6000 h lens roadmap

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Christof21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,213
Like?
Sony a6000 h lens roadmap
10 months ago

Hi,

Coming from Fuji, I could be interested in the new A6000. It has lot's of features really interesting (more mp, high AF coverage, zebra...). You won't be surprised if I tell you that the problem is the lens...

I could be interested in Sony if they had a roadmap for APS-C E mount lenses. If my understanding is correct, they will only invest in FE mount lenses which are compatible with APS-C.  The problem is that it is better to use lenses designed for APS--C, you have more resolution.

What are your expectations if you have a Sony APS-C ?

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 h lens roadmap
In reply to Christof21, 10 months ago

Christof21 wrote:

If my understanding is correct, they will only invest in FE mount lenses which are compatible with APS-C.

Well, the thing is, there are already a whole lot of apsc lenses for e-mount. We have had some lists here with all native (sony or 3rd party) e-mount lenses and the lists got longer and longer. For apsc there are also the zeiss primes, the zeiss 50mm macro has also been added to the list not so long ago. If you can't afford zeiss, the sel50 is a very very good lens. For WA There is a very good WA zoom and a zeiss prime. The only thing perhaps lacking is a fast tele-zoom or tele-prime, something like 200 or 300mm 2.8 or there abouts, but I don't think sony is seeing that as a priority right now as it is a smaller market probably. The only serious lack is a portrait lens of about 90mm, but I believe the sigma 60mm is considered to be really good, though a tad bit too short.

So the more 'common' lenses are already there for apsc, but for fe there are only 3 and no native 3d party lenses yet. So it's no surprise they are now going to concentrate on fe lenses. If you have to have lenses that aren't yet available for apsc, you could always try the la-ea2 adapter, though not sure if that would do the a6000 good or bad as the a6000 probably has even faster af.

So what lens(es) would you like for apsc before you could decide to buy the a6000?

-- hide signature --

Sezai E., philosophy geek, bibliophile and creative photographer.
Cheers!

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

Coming from Fuji, I could be interested in the new A6000. It has lot's of features really interesting (more mp, high AF coverage, zebra...). You won't be surprised if I tell you that the problem is the lens...

I could be interested in Sony if they had a roadmap for APS-C E mount lenses. If my understanding is correct, they will only invest in FE mount lenses which are compatible with APS-C. The problem is that it is better to use lenses designed for APS--C, you have more resolution.

The problem, if there is one, is not with the resolution of FE lenses used with APSc bodies, but rather with the availability of appropriate APSc focal lengths . FF lenses likely to be expensive too, although we have seen Sony up the tab on APSc lenses too.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,615Gear list
Like?
A fast Zeiss prime portrait lens: 100/2.8 emount or 70/2.8 FE

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

I could be interested in Sony if they had a roadmap for APS-C E mount lenses. If my understanding is correct, they will only invest in FE mount lenses which are compatible with APS-C. The problem is that it is better to use lenses designed for APS--C, you have more resolution.

I'm good for lenses with my NEX system with maybe just the exception of a fast portrait lens. Right now, I'm using the long end of Zeiss 16-70/4 for heads and shoulders shots.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705Gear list
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

There are two directions a reply could take.

It is true that it is easier and cheaper to design a high performing APS-C than FF but it certainly can be done. FE lenses work fine on APS-C e-mount cameras and so far the few that are out are excellent. The very sharp FE Zeiss zoom is taking some criticism for poorish far-corner resolution but that will hardly affect APS-C. On the other FE extreme is the 55mm which would make a stellar portrait lens on APS-C and you won't find sharper (although the less expensive regular e-mount 50 f1.8 is excellent).

The other issue is what lenses do you envision needing and are there decent e-mount lenses to accommodate you? I'm always amazed at the number of people who reject a system for lack of lenses but have no intention of purchasing the focal lengths, etc, that don't exist. I'm at the other extreme from you apparently. If I'm contemplating another system, I mentally choose a lens selection and then see if there is a camera that I like that they will mount to, not the other way around. I don't look to the future on what they might produce.  Right now, I'm trying to get a feel for how good the new e-mount 18-105mm is. It looks to be a killer walk-around APS-C lens to me.  If its a go... I'll buy it and the a6000 for a high quality walk-around, one lens solution.

Of course virtually every lens ever made can be adapted to the a6000 but admittedly that isn't for everyone.

Sony isn't the most forthcoming with 'roadmaps'.

Bruce

Eric Kovalsky
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

Well I have a NEX-7 and am a bit disappointed with the A6000 announcement, in that I had higher hopes in a replacement for my high end APS-C body.  Specifically, I wanted the AF/AE lock manual control, tri-navi interface, and high end EVF to remain - none of which did! - while adding the fast autofocus, mode dial, wifi, and new menu system.  IBIS would be a nice feature as well although I was not expecting it. I still may buy a A6000 to use alongside the NEX-7, but I won't be selling the latter anytime soon unless I ditch the whole system for something else.

Regarding the E-mount APS-C lenses, I am not surprised that Sony is now focusing on the FE series, because the APS-C range is now reasonably complete unlike the full frame range which is currently insufficient to really promote their full frame mirror less system.

While there are certainly advantages to full frame, APS-C has its own set of perks - more compact lenses and bodies, more depth of field, more telephoto reach because of crop factor, etc.  Comparing the NEX and Ax000 to the A7 range, I also like having a built-in flash and prefer the rangefinder shape.

So I have these Sony lenses now, along with a ultra fast 35/1.2 Voightlander.  Together they are pretty complete think, and there are other good Sony and Sigma primes available.

10-18/4 OSS:  A simply superb ultra wide angle zoom
24/1.8 CZ:  Superb and fast prime, near-macro capability
50/1.8 OSS:  Inexpective and fast short tele/portrait lens
18-55 OSS:  kit zoom, very compact and under-rated
24-70/4 CZ OSS zoom:  Superb 3x standard zoom
18-200 OSS :  best in class 11x zoom

I had the 30/3.5 macro too, but sold it as the 24/1.8CZ focused close enough for my needs.

On the other hand, FE right now only has the 35 and 55 primes, and the two normal zooms... although I think the 10-18 might cover full frame at some focal lengths even though it is not a FE design.

If I decide to buy more telephoto or macro lenses in the future, I will probably choose FE lens since it will give longer reach on APS-C.  Or go with a Sigma A-mount super zoom on the LA-E adapter.

Christof21
Like?
In reply to Euell, 10 months ago

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

The problem, if there is one, is not with the resolution of FE lenses used with APSc bodies, but rather with the availability of appropriate APSc focal lengths . FF lenses likely to be expensive too, although we have seen Sony up the tab on APSc lenses too.

You are loosing resolution (and light) unless you use a system like a speed booster to adapt the  FE lenses. I don't know if it exists.

xinn3r
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

The question is: What lens do YOU need?

I think Sony has covered the majority of lenses already, only missing telephoto lens and maybe a portrait lens.

xinn3r's gear list:xinn3r's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Christof21
Like?
In reply to Bruce Oudekerk, 10 months ago

Bruce Oudekerk wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

There are two directions a reply could take.

It is true that it is easier and cheaper to design a high performing APS-C than FF but it certainly can be done. FE lenses work fine on APS-C e-mount cameras and so far the few that are out are excellent. The very sharp FE Zeiss zoom is taking some criticism for poorish far-corner resolution but that will hardly affect APS-C. On the other FE extreme is the 55mm which would make a stellar portrait lens on APS-C and you won't find sharper (although the less expensive regular e-mount 50 f1.8 is excellent).

The other issue is what lenses do you envision needing and are there decent e-mount lenses to accommodate you? I'm always amazed at the number of people who reject a system for lack of lenses but have no intention of purchasing the focal lengths, etc, that don't exist. I'm at the other extreme from you apparently. If I'm contemplating another system, I mentally choose a lens selection and then see if there is a camera that I like that they will mount to, not the other way around. I don't look to the future on what they might produce. Right now, I'm trying to get a feel for how good the new e-mount 18-105mm is. It looks to be a killer walk-around APS-C lens to me. If its a go... I'll buy it and the a6000 for a high quality walk-around, one lens solution.

Of course virtually every lens ever made can be adapted to the a6000 but admittedly that isn't for everyone.

Sony isn't the most forthcoming with 'roadmaps'.

Bruce

I just like the feeling that the lens offering is not complete and that new lenses will be proposed. I may want a zoom with wider focal range, more aperture, new prime lenses. For me, this is never complete, it must live.

Maybe I have this feeling because Fuji had to build a complete offer from start.

I think it would be great if Sony could develop more lenses, or adapt more lenses so that we have the choice.

Sony seems to be ahead for body (AF, sensor, zebra) but not for lenses.

Euell
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

You are loosing resolution (and light) unless you use a system like a speed booster to adapt the FE lenses. I don't know if it exists.

Whatever are you talking about?? The FE lenses use the same E-mount.

Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Rupek
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

You are loosing resolution (and light) unless you use a system like a speed booster to adapt the  FE lenses. I don't know if it exists.

Why would you use light and speed? They will behave the same.

Rupek's gear list:Rupek's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Fujifilm X-M1 +7 more
Christof21
Like?
In reply to Rupek, 10 months ago

Rupek wrote:

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

You are loosing resolution (and light) unless you use a system like a speed booster to adapt the FE lenses. I don't know if it exists.

You crop the image circle. So you waste a part of the image (light + resolution)

A lens designed for aps-c will have a smaller image circle, but sharper in density. This is always better to have a lens designed for the sensor size, unless you have an adapter like a speed booster.

hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

I think generally FF lenses will be higher resolving than native APSC lenses an a NEX  and should perform better on a NEX.  If you look at many of the reviews of NEX lenses carried out on NEX7 you invariably see a caveat stating that the weak performance is due to the righer resolution NEX sensor and that the lens perform better on a 16MP NEX sensor.  If i had a NEX lens collection and resolution was important to me (eg landscape) I would have a think about whether the new 24MP sensor out resolves the lenses - reviews I guess are the only way really to see this

The Sony FF lens map looks pretty balances albeit expensive, the NEX lens range is ridiculously weighted towards wide angle, perhaps because the AF was crap, perhaps because the fanboys only do landscape - who knows but with a NEX you are not going to get native AF/OIS bright tele >50mm

Euell
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Rupek wrote:

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

You crop the image circle. So you waste a part of the image (light + resolution)

A lens designed for aps-c will have a smaller image circle, but sharper in density. This is always better to have a lens designed for the sensor size, unless you have an adapter like a speed booster.

Interesting observation, but no, the generalization doesn't hold water.

nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,036Gear list
Like?
FF DSLR / SLR lenses on APS-C = sharp

Christof21 wrote:

Rupek wrote:

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

I don't use anything but lenses made for FF cameras

http://birdsinaction.com/

If there's an issue using them, I've yet to see it. How sharp with resolution ??

So using FF lens and full image

Then a fairly tight crop

Again, FF lens and full un-cropped shot

Fairly tight crop again form the above shot

Trust me, if they were not sharp using FF lenses, I wouldn't be using an APS-C sensor.

All the best.

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
Euell
Like?
Re: FF DSLR / SLR lenses on APS-C = sharp
In reply to nzmacro, 10 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Rupek wrote:

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

I don't use anything but lenses made for FF cameras

http://birdsinaction.com/

If there's an issue using them, I've yet to see it. How sharp with resolution ??

So using FF lens and full image

Then a fairly tight crop

Again, FF lens and full un-cropped shot

Fairly tight crop again form the above shot

Trust me, if they were not sharp using FF lenses, I wouldn't be using an APS-C sensor.

All the best.

Danny.

Very nice. Which MF lens did you use for these?

nzmacro
Like?
Re: FF DSLR / SLR lenses on APS-C = sharp
In reply to Euell, 10 months ago

Euell wrote:

Very nice. Which MF lens did you use for these?

Aww sorry, that's the Canon FD 500mm legacy lens. The 300 and 800mm are just as sharp and so is the 100-300 zoom. I'm not really sure what the OP has read, but if we look in this forum with all the FF lenses used on APS-C, well it simply works

Maybe the old Fuji forum has different ideas. Someone writes it down and it becomes a fact !!

Don't think they realise you are actually using the best part of any lens, the center of it.

All the best and FF lenses are pretty darn sharp on APS-C. Like anything though, it depends on the lens itself.

Danny.

RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851Gear list
Like?

Sony has more lenses available for the E mount AF than anyone is going to buy.

• Under $500
  • 16mm f2.8
  • 30mm f3.5 Macro
  • 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 50mm f1,8 OSS
  • 16-50mm f3.5-5.6
  • 20mm f4
  • 55-200mm f4.5-6.3
  • 35mm f1.8
  • FE 28-70 f3.5-5.6 OSS
  • Under $1000
  • 18-105mm f4 OSS
  • 35mm f2.8 ZA
  • 10-18mm f4
  • 18-200 f3.5-6.3
  • 18-200 f3.5-6.3 OSS
  • FE 55mm f1.8 ZA
  • 16-70mm f4 ZA OSS
  • Over $1000
  • 24mm f1.8 ZA
  • 18-200 f3.5-6.3 OSS
  • FE 24-70mm f4 ZA OSS
  • FE 70-200mm f4 ZA OSS

So we are missing the Big Guns (300mm+) but that's about it.

There are new AF lenses by Sigma, Zeiss, Tamron, Samyang, maybe more. There are also adapters available to mount anything on anything (this is true for most manufactures) but you loose AF and AE depending on the setup.

If this list does not satisfy you than you are looking at NikCan or maybe m4/3. The one hole in this lineup is a very fast zoom (24-70 f2.8) but so what? One reason folks buy into the Sony system is for a small footprint. If fast zooms are a requirement why are you looking at mirrorless?

So do you need 20+ Sony lenses? It is rather simple, if you have a very specific requirement that is met by a different system stop flapping your gums on the Sony forum and buy what it is you need.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
nzmacro
Like?
I was hoping someone would post this ;-)
In reply to RonFrank, 10 months ago

RonFrank wrote:

Sony has more lenses available for the E mount AF than anyone is going to buy.

• Under $500
  • 16mm f2.8
  • 30mm f3.5 Macro
  • 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 50mm f1,8 OSS
  • 16-50mm f3.5-5.6
  • 20mm f4
  • 55-200mm f4.5-6.3
  • 35mm f1.8
  • FE 28-70 f3.5-5.6 OSS
  • Under $1000
  • 18-105mm f4 OSS
  • 35mm f2.8 ZA
  • 10-18mm f4
  • 18-200 f3.5-6.3
  • 18-200 f3.5-6.3 OSS
  • 55mm f1.8 ZA
  • 16-70mm f4 ZA OSS
  • Over $1000
  • 24mm f1.8 ZA
  • 18-200 f3.5-6.3 OSS
  • FE 24-70mm f4 ZA OSS
  • FE 70-200mm f4 ZA OSS

So we are missing the Big Guns (300mm+) but that's about it.

There are new AF lenses by Sigma, Zeiss, Tamron, Samyang, maybe more. There are also adapters available to mount anything on anything (this is true for most manufactures) but you loose AF and AE depending on the setup.

If this list does not satisfy you than you are looking at NikCan.The one hole in this lineup is a very fast zoom (24-70 f2.8) but so what? One reason folks buy into the Sony system is for a small footprint. If fast zooms are a requirement why are you looking at mirrorless?

So do you need 20+ Sony lenses?

I wasn't sure where to start Ron, so this is good to see. I'll bookmark this one for reference thanks

All the best Ron, nice to see.

Danny.

Monty Parker
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?

Christof21 wrote:

Rupek wrote:

Euell wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Hi,

Who, in heavens name, taught you this?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads