Fuji XT-1- Pentax Take Notice!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
Fuji XT-1- Pentax Take Notice!
8 months ago

I just came from the special Fuji XT-1 camera site and reviewed the specs and other things Fuji has included in their new WR camera. What I saw is impressive, especially with the multi-view finder and tilt-out screen. Did I mention it was WR too? Apparently, Fuji is coming out with three new WR lens to go with the camera. Of course, I have not actually handled one yet as they are too new and not yet available in local photo stores. Anyway, Fuji is doing some innovative things I wish Pentax/Ricoh would start to do too. Used to be Pentax was the about the only game in town offering WR but now they have strong competition. I see this camera taking away Pentax sales in the near future. Am I the only one who feels Pentax needs to up their game?

Here is the website for the new Fuji. I think you will find it impressive.

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-t1/en/

GR

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
sgtsween
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji XT-1- Pentax Take Notice!
In reply to grcolts, 8 months ago

+1. The XT-1 is about perfect in my opinion. A Pentax mirror less k mount in that form factor would be the bees knees for me.

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

Yes, its impressive enough that I have one on pre-order, but it's not ever going to replace my DSLR, it will be, at best, a walk around toy, albeit a very nice one.

About all the X-T1 has that the K3 doesn't have is the tilting screen and a much smaller package, allowed for by the shorter registration distance of the X-Mount, but what it gives up is an optical viewfinder.

If Pentax had made a fast standard lens, Fuji would never have been on my radar, but I wanted a camera with a fast standard, and the Fuji 35/1.4 is a lovely lens in most respects, so I bought an X-Pro1 last year to give me access to that lens. It's flare control isn't up to Pentax standards, but it has very nice rendering.

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,632Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 8 months ago

Yes the new Fuji XT-1 looks interesting but i'm also interested in the XE-2. Not sure if i will buy one of those but they are certainly interesting.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
JGoodard
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?

It is a lovely and well designed camera, though, isn't it? Could be the ultimate walk around that isn't a compact.

I wonder, can you experiment, for photography's sake, in the same way that you can with a Pentax K5+? These Pentax cameras are chock full of options and customizations. Just awesome for exploring a creative side with light outside of a controlled studio.

May not stand out so much in a crowd-but it has been fun learning photigraphy with my K5 II.

Love those ISO and shutter speed dials on the X-T1.

JGoodard's gear list:JGoodard's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Corel Aftershot Pro
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to JGoodard, 8 months ago

JGoodard wrote:

It is a lovely and well designed camera, though, isn't it? Could be the ultimate walk around that isn't a compact.

I wonder, can you experiment, for photography's sake, in the same way that you can with a Pentax K5+? These Pentax cameras are chock full of options and customizations. Just awesome for exploring a creative side with light outside of a controlled studio.

May not stand out so much in a crowd-but it has been fun learning photigraphy with my K5 II.

It won't be the ultimate walk around camera until they get a excellent walk around zoom lens.  Neither X-mount or m4/3 have anything resembling the DA 18-135 WR or even the DA 17-70 (the Oly 12-50 has a terrible reputation).

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
grcolts
Like?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 8 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

JGoodard wrote:

It won't be the ultimate walk around camera until they get a excellent walk around zoom lens. Neither X-mount or m4/3 have anything resembling the DA 18-135 WR or even the DA 17-70 (the Oly 12-50 has a terrible reputation).

Do you mean like these that Fuji is releasing?

• XF50-140mm f/2.8 R OIS WR
  • XF16-55mm f/2.8 R OIS WR
  • XF18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R OIS WR

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2014/01/28/new-fujifilm-xf-lens-roadmap-three-weather-resistant-lenses/#ixzz2tQMmLLqX

debo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?
In reply to leopold, 8 months ago

I just got the XE-1 w 18-55/2.8-4 for 719. I want to see if it is a good portable camera when I don't want to lug a DSLR (K5II+18-135+FA limiteds). If the X-E1 doesn't work, I will try the X100s .... I have begun to like the 22/2 on the EOS-m (although I don't like the body at all, hence the search continues!)

Maybe K5/K3 + 18-55/18-135 + 55-300 is a good WR kit for inclement weather and a Fuji for candids (their skin tones are very nice)

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8
harveysteeves
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?

those are going to be some big pieces of glass and kind of defeat the purpose of portability.  I like the XE-2/18-55 combo for size most times but for decent images and much better size, its the OMD EM5/12-50 (and having lugged it around a few countries and shot a few things, the quality meets my needs)

harveysteeves's gear list:harveysteeves's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
newmikey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,917Gear list
Like?
Comparing apples to pinenuts AFAIC

I see this camera taking away Pentax sales in the near future. Am I the only one who feels Pentax needs to up their game?

I do not see the need for such a comparison to begin with. The XT1 plays in an entirely different field and will certainly attract its own crowd - it is an excellent piece of hardware with what looks like some nice glass available in a future roadmap. There will always be people migrating between mirrorless and DSLR both ways, but they are two so totally different shooting experiences that I honestly doubt whether what you say is true.

It gets boring to see the relentless "DSLR" is dead posts around here. You want to get a mirrorless? Stop trying to justify spending the money on one to yourself and your wife/parents/kids, get one and leave DSLR shooters alone will ya?

-- hide signature --
 newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,575Gear list
Like?

grcolts wrote:

I just came from the special Fuji XT-1 camera site and reviewed the specs and other things Fuji has included in their new WR camera. What I saw is impressive, especially with the multi-view finder and tilt-out screen. Did I mention it was WR too? Apparently, Fuji is coming out with three new WR lens to go with the camera. Of course, I have not actually handled one yet as they are too new and not yet available in local photo stores. Anyway, Fuji is doing some innovative things I wish Pentax/Ricoh would start to do too. Used to be Pentax was the about the only game in town offering WR but now they have strong competition. I see this camera taking away Pentax sales in the near future. Am I the only one who feels Pentax needs to up their game?

Here is the website for the new Fuji. I think you will find it impressive.

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-t1/en/

GR

Maybe all the cameras in the world should be Fuji XT-1 copies. Choice is bad, why having DSLRs?

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Gazeomon
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?

Jim in Hudson wrote:

JGoodard wrote:

It won't be the ultimate walk around camera until they get a excellent walk around zoom lens. Neither X-mount or m4/3 have anything resembling the DA 18-135 WR or even the DA 17-70 (the Oly 12-50 has a terrible reputation).

According to 'Photozone' the DA 18-135 WR is a dog of a lens and a number of people confirmed that finding. Fuji zooms are high quality and there are more to come.

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more
grcolts
Like?
Re: Comparing apples to pinenuts AFAIC
In reply to newmikey, 8 months ago

newmikey wrote:

I see this camera taking away Pentax sales in the near future. Am I the only one who feels Pentax needs to up their game?

I do not see the need for such a comparison to begin with. The XT1 plays in an entirely different field and will certainly attract its own crowd - it is an excellent piece of hardware with what looks like some nice glass available in a future roadmap. There will always be people migrating between mirrorless and DSLR both ways, but they are two so totally different shooting experiences that I honestly doubt whether what you say is true.

It gets boring to see the relentless "DSLR" is dead posts around here. You want to get a mirrorless? Stop trying to justify spending the money on one to yourself and your wife/parents/kids, get one and leave DSLR shooters alone will ya?

-- hide signature --

Never said DSLR's are dead and speculation never hurt anyone. Plus, am not trying to get anyone to jump ship and purchase mirrorless. Don't know where you got that? Future sales will tell whether or not my speculation of loss Pentax revenue due to their competition providing features not yet available through Pentax will prove me wrong or not. It is interesting to take blinders off and look at what the rest of the world is doing though. I am a DSLR shooter myself but also shoot with a mirror less so know strengths and weaknesses of each. My post was an observation and a question, nothing more and nothing less. Cheers.

GR

newmikey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,917Gear list
Like?

My post was an observation and a question, nothing more and nothing less. Cheers.

No, your post was unnecessary and baseless guesswork, based on vapor. It is like saying that because a Kwasaki motorcycle has been released with certain advanced characteristics, car manufacturers will lose sales in future.

What exactly was your observation in your original post, beyond "Fuji is doing some innovative things I wish Pentax/Ricoh would start to do too"? That's not an observation, that's just flamebait.

As to your question, the answer is a resounding "NO". If Pentax loses sales, there could be a gazillion reasons but the one you pointed out would be about the most unlikely one.

Beyond that, the whole brand-thing is getting old around here. You get a camera that does what you need from a brand that provides those options. You stick around for a bit because you have invested in lenses. At any future date you might find the feature-set you need in another brand which is equally desirable and you get into that.

Fuji and Pentax are 2 such brands, they both try to use a common manufacturing base in China, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia with identical or very similar components to create shareholder value. Whether one or the other makes money and stays in business or not is about as important as which brand coffeemachine you have in your kitchen.

-- hide signature --
 newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,575Gear list
Like?

grcolts wrote:

newmikey wrote:

-- hide signature --

Never said DSLR's are dead and speculation never hurt anyone. Plus, am not trying to get anyone to jump ship and purchase mirrorless. Don't know where you got that? Future sales will tell whether or not my speculation of loss Pentax revenue due to their competition providing features not yet available through Pentax will prove me wrong or not. It is interesting to take blinders off and look at what the rest of the world is doing though. I am a DSLR shooter myself but also shoot with a mirror less so know strengths and weaknesses of each. My post was an observation and a question, nothing more and nothing less. Cheers.

GR

How about others losing sales due to Pentax providing features not yet available from them? Or logic only works one way?

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
It was quite the reverse — Fuji copied the K-5

Well, why don't you imagine it story going the other way round?

Why should all "logic" be forced one way only?

By definitely taking a different design approach to the X-T1 that to the rest of its X series of cameras, it may be quite obvious Fujifilm wanted to hide under the impression their camera being a DSLR, thus equally capable in user's first glance.

And what a better role model to follow than a K-5II, which was one of best crop sensor DSLR in the market, now superseded by the K-3?

The truth is, Fuji's X cameras don't sell well as the DSLRs, not even remotely close, and Fuji doesn't break it even. And there is a lot Fujifilm needs to resolve along the way of building a successful line and a system, that should be even as half as good as Pentax's in terms of reliability and soundness of design.

I do wish them luck though, but the X-T1 camera clearly shows that X-form factor as it was, in the form of a rangefinder, wasn't quite the winning bet for everything they have imagined.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Jim in Hudson
Like?

grcolts wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

JGoodard wrote:

Do you mean like these that Fuji is releasing?

• XF50-140mm f/2.8 R OIS WR
  • XF16-55mm f/2.8 R OIS WR
  • XF18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R OIS WR

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2014/01/28/new-fujifilm-xf-lens-roadmap-three-weather-resistant-lenses/#ixzz2tQMmLLqX

The first two aren't walk around lenses.

The last (18 - 135) has no release date (or even year!) and no price.

Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Jim in Hudson
Like?
In reply to Gazeomon, 8 months ago

Gazeomon wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

JGoodard wrote:

According to 'Photozone' the DA 18-135 WR is a dog of a lens and a number of people confirmed that finding. Fuji zooms are high quality and there are more to come.

Who confirmed that finding?  I haven't seen much concurrence around here.

JGoodard
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?

Jim in Hudson wrote:

JGoodard wrote:

I was just thinking about your comment regarding the 18-135 WR, and I suddenly recalled why I find the K5 II so fun to use-the lens and camera body combo are the APS-C equiv of my P7700-the same versatility with both cameras, but Pentax has managed to produce a "coolpix" dslr, while Nikon hasn't (and probably can't).

Custom image using a color "wheel"-brilliant!

JGoodard's gear list:JGoodard's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Corel Aftershot Pro
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?

newmikey wrote:

-- hide signature --

GR

So what features does pentax not have? I have a fujix100s which I love but I can't see pentax loosing sales to the xt, compared to the k3 its not same type of camera
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads