Just in case people are interested in the metabones adapter 111 and a7r

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,362
Like?
Just in case people are interested in the metabones adapter 111 and a7r
8 months ago

I tried it for the first time with my 100-400L lens and it seemed to work better than I thought it would handheld. I don't think fast enough for flying birds but seem to be okay with moving people. Raining so took them from my balcony. comments welcome. I think of full frame for landscapes so can't wait for the 24-70mm but in the meantime.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Just in case people are interested in the metabones adapter 111 and a7r
In reply to Fredy Ross, 8 months ago

I've got that lens, but it's the only one I haven't tried on the A7, just 'cause I'm sure it'll feel way front heavy and unbalanced.

I use the 24, 28, and 35mm image stabilized primes on the MBIII. If I use the 100-400 it would be for reach and I'd put it on one of my Canon crop bodies.

Still it's fun to see what works and how well it can do.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,854Gear list
Like?
Fredy: good beginning, show us more...
In reply to Fredy Ross, 8 months ago

...also, I'd be highly interested in seeing image samples at hi-res (or 100% crops) from the A7r and MB-III of the following glass: 300/4L IS, 400/5.6L, 200/2.8L and above all 135/2L

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,362
Like?
Re: Fredy: good beginning, show us more...
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

I haven't got those lenses. it was raining so I was bored and wanted to try the combo. I agree about using it with my canon camera as it is so much faster together and the weight isn't much difference with the adapter. I had tried it with my 70-300 DO lens but the Af was too slow. Then I used a cheap wireless control set for 2 seconds and it was then good. I was just curious as I think of the a7r as a landscape camera so wanted to see how the metabones worked. I found the metabones autofocussed faster my nex 6 and my efs 18-135mm to tell the truth. I have a pbase site and all my recent photos are with the metabones. I really want an fe lens but was playing as I haven't got it yet. I am using the a7r with the sel ultrawide but limiting at 14mm full frame. good though as at least I have one lens in the meantime.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Fredy: good beginning, show us more...
In reply to Fredy Ross, 8 months ago

Fredy Ross wrote:

I haven't got those lenses. it was raining so I was bored and wanted to try the combo. I agree about using it with my canon camera as it is so much faster together and the weight isn't much difference with the adapter. I had tried it with my 70-300 DO lens but the Af was too slow. Then I used a cheap wireless control set for 2 seconds and it was then good. I was just curious as I think of the a7r as a landscape camera so wanted to see how the metabones worked. I found the metabones autofocussed faster my nex 6 and my efs 18-135mm to tell the truth. I have a pbase site and all my recent photos are with the metabones. I really want an fe lens but was playing as I haven't got it yet. I am using the a7r with the sel ultrawide but limiting at 14mm full frame. good though as at least I have one lens in the meantime.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

I have tried the MBIII with a few EF-s lenses. Pretty good with 60 macro and 17-55/2.8 although the A7 automatically goes to crop mode. Then I tried it last night with the very lightweight kit 18-55/3.5-5.6. It didn't automatically go to crop mode, so I went into the menu and changed it manually. What surprised me was the autofocus speed... faster than any of the other EF lenses I've tried:

24, 28, 35, 100 primes

17-40, 24-105, 70-200, 70-300

It's only 10 MP in crop mode on the A7 but it's light and a better range than the kit and not that much slower focusing.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,362
Like?
Re: Fredy: good beginning, show us more...
In reply to KwhyChang, 8 months ago

that is interesting.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,854Gear list
Like?
Dave: is that 70-300 the L-version?
In reply to KwhyChang, 8 months ago

KwhyChang wrote:

I have tried the MBIII with a few EF-s lenses. Pretty good with 60 macro and 17-55/2.8 although the A7 automatically goes to crop mode. Then I tried it last night with the very lightweight kit 18-55/3.5-5.6. It didn't automatically go to crop mode, so I went into the menu and changed it manually. What surprised me was the autofocus speed... faster than any of the other EF lenses I've tried:

24, 28, 35, 100 primes

17-40, 24-105, 70-200, 70-300

It's only 10 MP in crop mode on the A7 but it's light and a better range than the kit and not that much slower focusing.

and if so what are your a bit more detailed of its behavior on A7r?

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,362
Like?
Re: Dave: is that 70-300 the L-version?
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

I don't think there is a 70-300 L version. My DO version is wonderful but slow to af with the metabones. for scenery though works perfectly with a cheap remote control set for 2 seconds. so in the end I will have 24 -3oo for scenery for the A7r.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,854Gear list
Like?
Fredy: EF 70-300L was released mid 2010...
In reply to Fredy Ross, 8 months ago

...and it is excellent lens if a bit on a heavy-weight side.

My guess is that it should perform very well on 36 Mpx, at least as far as I'm able to judge based on what I saw it can do on N7 (esp. with SB adapter),

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
john-photoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Is there one for Nikon???
In reply to Fredy Ross, 8 months ago

So looking for a thread about a Nikon AF adapter for Sony E mount.  Has anybody found one?

Please

-- hide signature --

Let just all take more photographs!

 john-photoguy's gear list:john-photoguy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,676
Like?
More on how it interacted with the lens
In reply to Fredy Ross, 8 months ago

Well done Fredy

Not so sure how such a little lady can wield such a big lens ...

Were you using it on tripod or hand held? - the second image is very good.  I have tried this lens on a focal reducer  with the NEX6 and it did not like AF very much.  I think that the size of the lens might be just too much for the NEX6 to drive with its battery.  But on MF the 100-400 works well for me in that configuration.

Did you have any success with AF?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,676
Like?
Re: Fredy: good beginning, show us more...
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

...also, I'd be highly interested in seeing image samples at hi-res (or 100% crops) from the A7r and MB-III of the following glass: 300/4L IS, 400/5.6L, 200/2.8L and above all 135/2L

jpr2

Hey ho, I have used the Metabones Speed Booster with a Canon 200mm f2.0 hand held in indoor light.  Is doable even if the lens is reasonably large.  But the dof at an effective fixed telephoto equivalent of about 213mm f1.4 is pretty narrow. The choir was only focusable row by row and I am not sure that all eyes and noses were in focus at the same time either (grin).

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?
None at this time
In reply to john-photoguy, 8 months ago

john-photoguy wrote:

So looking for a thread about a Nikon AF adapter for Sony E mount. Has anybody found one?

Please

At this time no adapters exist that allow AF with Nikon lenses on Sony E mount cameras.

Nikon has one for their Nikon 1 mirrorless that works with AF-S type lenses.  Perhaps some third party will eventually take on the challenge to reverse engineer it for the E mount.

  • John 
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,362
Like?
Re: More on how it interacted with the lens
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 8 months ago

Tom yes I handheld it and the af worked as you can see pretty good. Wouldn't do it again as you said I am too small and too old but wanted to try the metabones with all my canon lenses. Still the af was quicker than with the DO 70-300mm. I had to use a remote control with that lens set to 2 seconds. It is winter and it was raining so I got curious what I could take from home. As I bought the camera for scenery the remote will come in handy and I will have 2 lenses 24-300mm for that.I have a jeep so don't have to carry heavy equipment and with spring coming I hope to take a lot of scenery. Hope you had a nice weekend.

( I must admit as yet I can't see the big difference I expected to see between the Nex 6 and the A7r except for low light. I also haven't printed anything to compare. If I were younger I would wait for the 3rd full frame model for a faster af.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?
I have 70-300 L - its excellent...
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

... On the A7r.

I tested it against the Sony G 70-300 and they are both similar sharpness, but the IS on the canon is worth a compomise in AF speed.

Its probably the best 300mm option for thr A7(r) right now.

jpr2 wrote:

...and it is excellent lens if a bit on a heavy-weight side.

My guess is that it should perform very well on 36 Mpx, at least as far as I'm able to judge based on what I saw it can do on N7 (esp. with SB adapter),

jpr2

 Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,676
Like?
Re: More on how it interacted with the lens
In reply to Fredy Ross, 8 months ago

Fredy Ross wrote:

Tom yes I handheld it and the af worked as you can see pretty good. Wouldn't do it again as you said I am too small and too old but wanted to try the metabones with all my canon lenses. Still the af was quicker than with the DO 70-300mm. I had to use a remote control with that lens set to 2 seconds. It is winter and it was raining so I got curious what I could take from home. As I bought the camera for scenery the remote will come in handy and I will have 2 lenses 24-300mm for that.I have a jeep so don't have to carry heavy equipment and with spring coming I hope to take a lot of scenery. Hope you had a nice weekend.

( I must admit as yet I can't see the big difference I expected to see between the Nex 6 and the A7r except for low light. I also haven't printed anything to compare. If I were younger I would wait for the 3rd full frame model for a faster af.

Nice to see that you are clicking away still Fredy, I think you do well.  I have had a Canon 5D since not long after they became available and have two Canon aps-c dslr bodies as well.  If I use them all together on "a shoot" it is reasonably hard to tell which camera took which image afterwards.  OF course I can work it out but there is no "dramatic" difference.

If I had a choice between FF and apc-c then I would pick FF of course but I doubt if the Canon and Nikon aps-c dslr camera body sales are going to die a sudden death simply because Sony has made a Mirrorless with FF sensor.

In other words FF is obviously better, but not as much as some of the hoopla has suggested.

I am not making the jump to the A7 type - my NEX6 and some focal reducers will keep my Canon EF lenses more than happy.  My latest toy is the smallest of the small - a Panasonic GM1 with "only" a M4/3 sensor.  Quite a capable little thing, but I am still learning, been learning for a long time now

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,362
Like?
Re: More on how it interacted with the lens
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 8 months ago

tom I know what you mean. My best buy this last year was the sony rx100ii. Silent quick and good for street photography. Have a good week.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads