Olympus 25mm 1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 for Olympus body (E-M5)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Acronator
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Olympus 25mm 1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 for Olympus body (E-M5)
7 months ago

I know there will be quite a few comparisons between these two lenses (and I plan on owning both). I am trying to figure out which one to get first and I had a few specific questions for people who have used both lenses with an Olympus body.

1. AF Speed. Both have very fast AF but is the Oly 25mm lens even a tad bit faster on AF with an Olympus body?

2. How useful have you found the extra stop of the Panasonic lens? Please do explain.

3. Both are very sharp lenses. Which is sharper?

4. Do the distortion corrections made by a Olympus body with the Oly 25mm 1.8 make for an advantage?

Thanks a lot.

Acronator's gear list:Acronator's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 25mm 1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 for Olympus body (E-M5)
In reply to Acronator, 7 months ago

Robin Wong is about to release a comparison review. Stayed tuned to his blog. He is excellent and I am sure he will answer your questions.

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,352Gear list
Like?

Why own both?

Do you have a specific reason why you need Oly 25 AND 25PL?

Seems like a waste of money.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,158Gear list
Like?
Wasn't there another thread like this yesterday? nt

I know there will be quite a few comparisons between these two lenses (and I plan on owning both). I am trying to figure out which one to get first and I had a few specific questions for people who have used both lenses with an Olympus body.

1. AF Speed. Both have very fast AF but is the Oly 25mm lens even a tad bit faster on AF with an Olympus body?

2. How useful have you found the extra stop of the Panasonic lens? Please do explain.

3. Both are very sharp lenses. Which is sharper?

4. Do the distortion corrections made by a Olympus body with the Oly 25mm 1.8 make for an advantage?

Thanks a lot.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Acronator
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 7 months ago

Why own both?

Do you have a specific reason why you need Oly 25 AND 25PL?

Seems like a waste of money.

I have 3 micro 4/3 bodies. I mix and match lenses to shoot videos and stills at the same time. I figure it is only a matter if time before I get both. That said I might not. This is why I need pick the first one carefully.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Acronator
Like?
In reply to El Chubasco, 7 months ago

Robin Wong is about to release a comparison review. Stayed tuned to his blog. He is excellent and I am sure he will answer your questions.

Am really looking forward to it.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
I don't know, was there?
In reply to G1Houston, 7 months ago

I didn't see it.  Does it matter?  Unless you are the forum policeman, why do you care?

You could have linked to it, if you were concerned enough to reply like this.

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,158Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't know, was there?
In reply to dpalugyay, 7 months ago

I didn't see it.  Does it matter?  Unless you are the forum policeman, why do you care?

You could have linked to it, if you were concerned enough to reply like this.

Very form has a search button. Use it.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?

Acronator wrote:

Am really looking forward to it.

Actually the review is out

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-lens-review.html

Enjoy!

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?

I am looking forward to the LensTip test of the Olympus 25mm 1.8 to compare it to their tests of the Panasonic 25 1.4, the Olympus 45mm, and a number of other lenses. Wong says he thinks the Olympus lens is as sharp as the 45mm. We shall see.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,652
Like?

Robin Wong has just compared the two lenses.  In the end, I think you may be better off going with the Olympus if you have an Olympus body and the Panasonic if you have a Panasonic body.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

Bluevortex
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
In reply to dgrogers, 7 months ago

dgrogers wrote:

Robin Wong has just compared the two lenses. In the end, I think you may be better off going with the Olympus if you have an Olympus body and the Panasonic if you have a Panasonic body.

-- hide signature --

Typical! Just yesterday day got the 25mm 1.4 and EM5 combo, now starting to doubt this was the right decision

blue

Bluevortex's gear list:Bluevortex's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,386
Like?
In reply to dgrogers, 7 months ago

dgrogers wrote:

Robin Wong has just compared the two lenses. In the end, I think you may be better off going with the Olympus if you have an Olympus body and the Panasonic if you have a Panasonic body.

-- hide signature --

LOL

In case there was any question that Robin Wong is biased toward Olympus products (as an Olympus employee), this settles it.

First claims that the Panasonic is twice as expensive ... well, apparently that's an issue for those living in Malaysia.  Everywhere else the Panasonic seems to cost about 25% more new, or the same or less used.

He somehow concludes that the Olympus is better in the corners, when his crops show they are essentially identical (both excellent), or if either has an advantage, it's the Panasonic.

Spends a lot of time downplaying the difference in DOF between the Panny at f/1.4 and the Olympus at f/1.8 when the difference is clearly significant in the PL's favor, and when -- really -- at 25mm on MFT you want as much DOF flexibility as you can get.

They are both very good lenses.  All else being essentially equal, the PL is faster and thus gives more creative control.

A shame Olympus didn't put the effort into producing a nice 9mm or 10mm prime to fill a hole instead of reinventing the wheel (and making it slightly less round).

markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447
Like?
In reply to amtberg, 7 months ago

amtberg wrote:

Spends a lot of time downplaying the difference in DOF between the Panny at f/1.4 and the Olympus at f/1.8 when the difference is clearly significant in the PL's favor, and when -- really -- at 25mm on MFT you want as much DOF flexibility as you can get.

They are both very good lenses. All else being essentially equal, the PL is faster and thus gives more creative control.

A shame Olympus didn't put the effort into producing a nice 9mm or 10mm prime to fill a hole instead of reinventing the wheel (and making it slightly less round).

I didn't see that much DoF difference, nothing significant. But that's me.

I've always wanted a Panny 25 f/1.4 - but the size and the price has always dissuaded me.

If the Oly version was $350 on sale, I'd consider one.

Anfy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,384
Like?

amtberg wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

-- hide signature --

First claims that the Panasonic is twice as expensive ... well, apparently that's an issue for those living in Malaysia. Everywhere else the Panasonic seems to cost about 25% more new, or the same or less used.

As I wrote in the other thread, at least in UK the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 - new - presently costs just 30 GBP more than the Olympus f/1.8 (source: camerapricebuster.co.uk)

Ciao!

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447
Like?
In reply to markintosh13, 7 months ago

markintosh13 wrote:

amtberg wrote:

They are both very good lenses. All else being essentially equal, the PL is faster and thus gives more creative control.

I've always wanted a Panny 25 f/1.4 - but the size and the price has always dissuaded me.

Here in Canada, the Panny 25 1.4 is currently on sale (Henry's) for $599 (reg 649), and the Oly 25 1.8 is selling at reg price at $399.

So maybe it might be on sale at $350 at some point.

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,386
Like?

markintosh13 wrote:

amtberg wrote:

The DOF difference isn't dramatic but it's clear, and IMO at this focal length on MFT you're often going to want thinner DOF than you can get even at f/1.4.  That's one reason why I use the Voigt 25/.95 rather than the PL.

sebiruns
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bluevortex, 7 months ago

dgrogers wrote:

-- hide signature --

Typical! Just yesterday day got the 25mm 1.4 and EM5 combo, now starting to doubt this was the right decision

blue

Don't worry. It is a great combination. The PL25 is a wonderful lens that works great together with the E-M5. Robin Wong is an Olympus employee. I like his reviews but he certainly has a bit of a bias. Focus speed is swift and low light capability unmatched. If you want to I can post pics taken with the PL25 and the E-M5, too. Relax. You made a good buy.

sebiruns's gear list:sebiruns's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Dissenter
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

amtberg wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

-- hide signature --

LOL

In case there was any question that Robin Wong is biased toward Olympus products (as an Olympus employee), this settles it.

First claims that the Panasonic is twice as expensive ... well, apparently that's an issue for those living in Malaysia. Everywhere else the Panasonic seems to cost about 25% more new, or the same or less used.

It's an issue here in Australia too...$700+ where Panasonic along with Sony doesn't even bother to attend the camera trade shows.

Acronator
Like?

markintosh13 wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

amtberg wrote:

Here in Canada, the Panny 25 1.4 is currently on sale (Henry's) for $599 (reg 649), and the Oly 25 1.8 is selling at reg price at $399.

So maybe it might be on sale at $350 at some point.

I think the prices on the Oly will fall. But takes a bit of time. I bought my 45mm 1.8 for $400 a year back. Now it can be had easily for about $300 or less.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads