DPR Fuji interview

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,412Gear list
Like?
DPR Fuji interview
7 months ago

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5988185050/fujfilm-interview-the-only-way-is-to-keep-innovating

What caught my eye:

X-T1 "Initial demand is roughly twice what we’d planned, so we’re increasing the capacity at our factory as much as possible, at least for the next few months."

I won't hold my breath waiting for mine, then, although fortune might smile - if my 56 turns up before my X-T1, I wouldn't mind too much.

SNR is the controlling factor to more pixels, that's expected to improve with technology.

FF (or at least bigger) X-Trans? "At the moment we’re focusing on the APS-C format but in the longer term, after we’ve completed our lens lineup… I can’t deny the possibility."

And they want Canikon to get seriously into mirrorless so they can beat them up on a level playing-field... well, to raise awareness really

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR Fuji interview
In reply to 57LowRider, 7 months ago

and I thought this was important:

"Yes but it in the long run customer trust is very important. We’re a relatively new brand and we need to build trust. There was some internal debate about the X100 update, and some people within Fujifilm didn’t think we should upgrade a discontinued model but we decided to do it anyway."

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,845
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

And they want Canikon to get seriously into mirrorless so they can beat them up on a level playing-field... well, to raise awareness really

IMO, the success that we're seeing with some of the latest cameras like the Sony A7r, Olympus E-M1 and the X-T1 will force Canon and Nikon to respond.    More than ever before these cameras are being bought not only as a supplement to DSLRs but as complete replacements.

ketsang
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to justin_time, 7 months ago

"Since we launched the X-series with the X100 we created a lot of cameras, and even since the X-Pro 1 was launched we made the X-E1, X-E2, X100S, X-M1, X-A1 and X-T1. I think we did too much too fast, and made too many models. Some customers have told us that it’s confusing. So now we will slow down, step back and look at what our customers are buying, and what they want. We also need to refresh our lens lineup."

Is this the reason why they are giving heavy discount on current lenses?

May be the older lenses 18mm, 35mm, 60mm will be improved with faster, quieter focusing? I just hope they don't make them bigger and heavier.

-- hide signature --

Ket Sang Tai
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ketsang/
www.kstphotography.net (under construction)

ketsang's gear list:ketsang's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
57LowRider
Like?
In reply to justin_time, 7 months ago

justin_time wrote:

and I thought this was important:

"Yes but it in the long run customer trust is very important. We’re a relatively new brand and we need to build trust. There was some internal debate about the X100 update, and some people within Fujifilm didn’t think we should upgrade a discontinued model but we decided to do it anyway."

Hehe, I'm not surprised that there was "internal debate" - I think everyone thought that was a kind of "seppuku". It was a bold thing to do, tactically "spratting" as the Scots say - setting a sprat to catch a mackerel; so long as that message is propagated beyond the boundary of current owners, it becomes part of Fuji's mythology. Has any company updated a discontinued anything before? I can't think of one, offhand.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
57LowRider
Like?
In reply to ketsang, 7 months ago

ketsang wrote:

May be the older lenses 18mm, 35mm, 60mm will be improved with faster, quieter focusing? I just hope they don't make them bigger and heavier.

It would do them no harm to keep the optics, update the motors and make them weatherproof.

Mike in Kansas
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

You could say that Apple does, as their iOS updates and OSX updates are targeted to bring machines / devices that are many years past being current up to date with current-selling machines / devices.

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

ketsang wrote:

It would do them no harm to keep the optics, update the motors and make them weatherproof.

They may update the 18mm optics as I hear it is not well regarded for edge-edge sharpness.
If they could update the motors and get really good AF that would be great. But I did see a quote from Fuji that for the 35mm they could have halved the AF time by going for a different optical formula.  With the current 35mm all lens element are moved during focus which makes it slower due to weight.  They chose that optical design for the excellent IQ/bokeh and I for one would not want to lose that.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
57LowRider
Like?
In reply to Mike in Kansas, 7 months ago

Mike in Kansas wrote:

You could say that Apple does, as their iOS updates and OSX updates are targeted to bring machines / devices that are many years past being current up to date with current-selling machines / devices.

True, that's a very IT thing - hardware and software longevity is pretty important to the business consumer. Where I work, it took 3 years to migrate to Windows 7 (Vista got missed out - thankfully!). The drivers are somewhat different, but continued support for old products is a professional approach which Fuji has borrowed to good effect.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?

Good interview. I say this because I believe the responses and in the past year plus fuji has earned my trust whereas Nikon has completely lost it for a number of reasons. Surprised that the question of lens quality was not mentioned as strongly since that, to me, is one of the strengths of the line. After the photographer the lens is the most important part of the system, then the camera. Fuji glass to me is like affordable Leica/Zeiss quality and part of the reason why I moved over.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 7 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

Good interview. I say this because I believe the responses and in the past year plus fuji has earned my trust whereas Nikon has completely lost it for a number of reasons. Surprised that the question of lens quality was not mentioned as strongly since that, to me, is one of the strengths of the line. After the photographer the lens is the most important part of the system, then the camera. Fuji glass to me is like affordable Leica/Zeiss quality and part of the reason why I moved over.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

I couldn't agree more!

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
Georg Ucksche
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 7 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

IMO, the success that we're seeing with some of the latest cameras like the Sony A7r, Olympus E-M1 and the X-T1 will force Canon and Nikon to respond. More than ever before these cameras are being bought not only as a supplement to DSLRs but as complete replacements.

Nice idea. But I am not sure how big the success will be really in the end. What camera do costumers (globally) buy more: A EOS 5dIII, 6d, 700d, a Nikon d610, Df, d7100, or an A7(r), X-T1, X-E2, etc...?

In Europe and the US, mirrorless have a market share of 10%.

That is very (!!!!) little, seen the number of manufacturers (Sony, Oly, Fuji, Panasonic) and compared to the fact the the rest (90%) is mainly Canon and Nikon.

I agree that Canon and Nikon show themselves clueless about how the future of cameras should be. They continue to offer a solution that is basically 50y ears old - an SLR.  No sign of innovation since many years.

I hope that Fujis' efforts pay off in the sense that innovation - in the long run - will end up convincing the market more than stagnation.

Canon and NIkon realls offer little more than stand- still.

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 7 months ago

Agreed...and the firmware for the discontinued X-100 sold me on Fuji.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
ketsang
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to Georg Ucksche, 7 months ago

I think this is probably on the up. Every time I walk into a camera shop, I see more people in the mirrorless section and less so in the SLR section.

I think it is inevitable that the mirrorless market will grow but the question is which company (Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Fuji) can grab a bigger share.

For now, I think it is better for them to work together to increase awareness.

-- hide signature --

Ket Sang Tai
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ketsang/
www.kstphotography.net (under construction)

ketsang's gear list:ketsang's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
artemesia66
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
In reply to Les Lammers, 7 months ago

Agree that the firmware update completely sold me on Fuji. I bought an early X100, loved the form factor, and the sensor, but found it pretty sluggish. It spent most of it's time on the shelf. More or less on a whim, and without much expectation of satisfaction, I decided to do the Firmware 2.0 upgrade when it came out to see if it made it any better, or I was going to sell the camera. Within weeks I'd bought an X-Pro 1 and four lenses, and I'm planning on the XT-1. That kind of commitment to customer satisfaction and long-term customer relationships is just good business.

artemesia66's gear list:artemesia66's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

A couple of things struck me.  The first was the mention of full-frame.  If one makes the reasonable assumption that with the increasing quality of EVF's DSLRs will become obsolete, Fuji gains an important competitive advantage by joining Sony in bringing out an excellent full-frame product.  They and Sony will also have a leg up by developing excellent full frame lenses.

The second sort of buried comment was with regard to accessories.  The work "flash" was mentioned.  I hope he is serious.  An excellent flash system coupled with planned telephoto zooms would let me sell my Canon stuff.  It is expensive to maintain two systems.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Mike in Kansas
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

The fact that mirroless cameras even account for 10% at this point in their development should give CaNikon pause.  In just a short time, look at the dramatic improvements that have been made in mirrorless AF and AF tracking, sensor quality, lens quality, and body design.  The platform is leaps and bounds ahead of where DSLRs were when they appeared, thanks to current technology and product cycles.  CaNikon need to be careful or they will be the Steve Ballmers and Microsoft of the camera world.

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,845
Like?

Georg Ucksche wrote:

Nice idea. But I am not sure how big the success will be really in the end. What camera do costumers (globally) buy more: A EOS 5dIII, 6d, 700d, a Nikon d610, Df, d7100, or an A7(r), X-T1, X-E2, etc...?

You can't release new cameras that close the gap in several areas vs DSLRs and expect this to be known by the average consumer overnight.   It will take word of mouth, marketing, etc but the cameras have to be there before any of this can happen.

That is very (!!!!) little, seen the number of manufacturers (Sony, Oly, Fuji, Panasonic) and compared to the fact the the rest (90%) is mainly Canon and Nikon.

I agree that Canon and Nikon show themselves clueless about how the future of cameras should be. They continue to offer a solution that is basically 50y ears old - an SLR. No sign of innovation since many years.

I hope that Fujis' efforts pay off in the sense that innovation - in the long run - will end up convincing the market more than stagnation.

Canon and NIkon realls offer little more than stand- still.

The cameras I mentioned have been out for a few months or less.   There are many moving parts that determine how significant the impact will be but you can't go by past history IMO.   We are just getting to the point where the gap has closed enough to make these cameras a viable option as a DSLR replacement for a bigger percentage of DSLR owners.  You now have options for the best IQ with the A7r and very good AF with the X-T1 and E-M1.   Combine this with the maturing lens lineups and the growing list of features and these options meet a lot of needs that weren't being met before.

Sehn
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 7 months ago

What hit me the most in the answers was the reiteration of the "need of awareness". I see so many people (friends and family included) that buy a DSLR and never go past the shoddy kit lenses bundled with it.

If only these people knew what they could've gotten instead with the money. Even a used x10 could blow the socks of most lower end DSLR + kit combos.

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to artemesia66, 7 months ago

I went down a similar path for the same reasons. I have confidence in Fuji.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads