D800E UK - do I need the latest production run?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
lampman
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
D800E UK - do I need the latest production run?
7 months ago

I am in the UK and hoping to buy the D800E in the next month or so, I would prefer to buy form my local retailer but I am not sure how long they have had their stock.

Having followed many threads regarding the AF focus issues on the D800/800E models there definitely seems to be less of a problem with models made more recently.

Would anyone bother to check serial numbers to make sure that the stock is relatively new?

If so could anyone who has purchased a D800E in the UK recently give me an idea of what serial numbers are being supplied currently, not expecting the full number, just something that would give me an idea to check against their stock.

I would love to be told I am being overcautious.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,013Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E UK - do I need the latest production run?
In reply to lampman, 7 months ago

Since it's a US model the serial number won't help any, but I can tell you that the D800e I just got from B & H displays none of the issues that were present in my early model D800.

AF fine tune is zero for the same lenses that need -10 on my D800.

Left and right focus points are extremely close to the central point.

Plain luck, clean living, favorable alignment of the stars, or better quality control? Who knows?

Personally, I don't think you have a guaranteed no-issue body regardless of where you purchase. My take, since you have at least enough hesitation to investigate, is to bypass local distribution and purchase from someone with a known large stock turnover and generous return policy. That way you will at least know you've don everything you can. Sleep well at night factor and all that.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 710Gear list
Like?

Not too sure you need the latest production run, but you could find a shop where its out of stock and then place an order.

Try Park Cameras

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 774Gear list
Like?

lampman wrote:

I am in the UK and hoping to buy the D800E in the next month or so, I would prefer to buy form my local retailer but I am not sure how long they have had their stock.

Having followed many threads regarding the AF focus issues on the D800/800E models there definitely seems to be less of a problem with models made more recently.

Would anyone bother to check serial numbers to make sure that the stock is relatively new?

If so could anyone who has purchased a D800E in the UK recently give me an idea of what serial numbers are being supplied currently, not expecting the full number, just something that would give me an idea to check against their stock.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

I bought an 800E a few weeks ago from a 'not so local' shop. I rang round at least 3 shops close to where I live and none had the E version. Finally ended up driving to Bath (from Cardiff) to find one, and they only had one in stock. I think you will find that most shops dont carry that much stock and so you will not be buying an 'old' body.

Whilst I have always thought that buying locally is the best plan (and have always done that) you may be better buying mail order. Ok, the sale of goods act protects you for a defective product, but if my 800e had had a fault, I would have taken in back to the shop and waited weeks for them to get another one - if they had indeed accepted it as bad. Legally no problem under the sale of goods act to get it replaced or money back but I can just imagine the hassle and arguing. If you buy mail order, you have 7 days to return it if you don't want it - under the 'distance selling regs'. In those 7 days you can check it out and find any big faults.

Putting my money where my mouth is - this week I just spent £5k+ on a new lens - and I got it mail order. Delivered next day. Checked it (despite the lousy weather) and found it AF fine tunes great. Super sharp images. No need to send it back in 7 days. If it had a fault, I would have driven it back over to Norwich and picked up a new one without waiting weeks as they are carrying more stock as they sell more units - that in itself may be a reason not to go to a local shop.

Of the two purchases I feel happier about the second one via mail order.

Don't worry about the body going wrong, the consumer rights in the Via the Distance selling regs and the Sale of Goods act are very buyer friendly. Go for it.

Havent got the camera to hand at the moment to check serial number. Will try and find it afterwards.

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?

I bought a D800 from the initial batch released in the UK, I added a D800e the following December, despite testing both extensively I could not find any issues to complain about. I bought both from Grays of Westminster, I am sure you are aware they are a Nikon only dealer and having spent time in their shop I would be surprised if any of their stock is more than 4 weeks old, they are busy, have in depth knowledge of the Nikon range together with a speedy mail order service but I made it a day out in London when I collected my purchases from their shop. This is a genuine recommendation I have no connection with the company other than being a very satisfied customer.

lampman
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, 7 months ago

Hello coronawithlime,

Thanks for the reply, good to hear that you have not had any problems.

I agree about the stock turn of the larger dealers, but I have had really good service and price from the local dealer, I recently purchased the AF-S 80-400mm from them at over £300 less than the most popular on line retailer in the country, so if the risk of a problem is not too great with the latest models, I would prefer to buy from them.

Out of interest I notice that you have had both D800 & D800E, I would love to hear your take on the differences.

Thanks again.

Graham

lampman
Like?
In reply to Dr Bob, 7 months ago

Thanks Dr Bob,

Glad to hear that you didn't have a problem, I haven't heard from anyone who has which is a very good sign.

I have never had a problem with anything I have bought from my local dealer who is in Salisbury, so never really put them to the test, but in every other way they have been great.

As mentioned to another respondent, they were over three hundred pounds cheaper than the East Anglian on line dealer I think you may have been referring to when I bought the 80-400mm AF-S recently and they have done me a number of favours.

Incidentally I have looked at your website on a number of occasions and been very impressed, although I can;t see any D800E images on there yet.

Where the information shows 400mm f5.7, is that the 8-400mm AF-S?,

What do you think of the D800E for wildlife use, have you used it with the 80-400mm?

many thanks

Graham

lampman
Like?
In reply to Art Jacks, 7 months ago

Hello Art Jacks,

Thanks for the recommendation, I am on their mailing list, but haven't bought from them as yet.

I'm sure if they were local it would be my second home.

Do you find a great deal of difference between the D800 & the D800E?
Regards

Graham

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,013Gear list
Like?

lampman wrote:

Hello coronawithlime,

Thanks for the reply, good to hear that you have not had any problems.

I agree about the stock turn of the larger dealers, but I have had really good service and price from the local dealer, I recently purchased the AF-S 80-400mm from them at over £300 less than the most popular on line retailer in the country, so if the risk of a problem is not too great with the latest models, I would prefer to buy from them.

Out of interest I notice that you have had both D800 & D800E, I would love to hear your take on the differences.

Thanks again.

Graham

Sorry for the delay in reply, been making pictures. 

Mostly, I have the D800e because we needed another camera, already had the D800, so I figured what the hell.  They had the rebate at the time so that got it closer to the normal price of the D800.

When I shoot wide open I can find a sharpness improvement, but much past f5.6 or so the difference doesn't strike me as a deciding factor for what I'm doing.  YMMV.

If you gave me a D800 with a counterfeit "e" added to the logo I probably wouldn't ever notice.  I'd be perfectly happy with either.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,471Gear list
Like?

I presume you are aware of the Nikon UK promo of up to £300 extra part exchange on an DSLR body.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Great images are often of good subjects.
If they are great images does what lens, body or technique was used matter more than the skill of the photographer?

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?

lampman wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Graham

My D800E (bought in mid 2013 to replace my first D600) has only has one instance of focus issues related to 2 copies of the 85mm F1.4 G I tried. both were not in focus wide open, adjusting it rendered stopped down images OOF. I eventually sent the second one back and got an 85mm F1.8G, which has been spot on, much like most of my other lenses (only my (now sold) 135 F2 DC needed real adjustment).

Basically PDAF on the D800/E is generally very good, but sometimes it can hunt/hesitate a little. It's not the end of the world. I remember my A900 with fondness, but it could be painful to get focus in low light.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
lampman
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 7 months ago

Hello Leonard,

I sold my D300 at Christmas and thought I had an good price at £400, but might have been better part exchanging it using this promotion, still have a D700 but want to hang on to that.

BTW been reading your contributions for years, so good to talk to you.

Thanks for the contact.

Graham

Dr Bob
Like?

lampman wrote:

Thanks Dr Bob,

Glad to hear that you didn't have a problem, I haven't heard from anyone who has which is a very good sign.

I have never had a problem with anything I have bought from my local dealer who is in Salisbury, so never really put them to the test, but in every other way they have been great.

As mentioned to another respondent, they were over three hundred pounds cheaper than the East Anglian on line dealer I think you may have been referring to when I bought the 80-400mm AF-S recently and they have done me a number of favours.

Incidentally I have looked at your website on a number of occasions and been very impressed, although I can;t see any D800E images on there yet.

Where the information shows 400mm f5.7, is that the 8-400mm AF-S?,

What do you think of the D800E for wildlife use, have you used it with the 80-400mm?

many thanks

Graham

Graham, sorry I didnt pick up this post until just now. You asked about D800E images on my web site. Almost all of the bird images are done with the new 80-400AFs. All dated prior to 13th Jan are with the D600. After that they are 800E. There will be a number added now using the 500mm F4. Have a look at a few shots where I think the D800E excels.

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/medgull/h38d3e1dd#h38d3e1dd

This first one is a Med Gull. Taken at quite a range - circa - 60ft, so cropped very hard but still delivering a good shot for the web (not a big print). The resolution lets you crop more than my D600.

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/bhg/h2763bb97#h2763bb97

The second, a blackheaded gull - Outstanding sharpness with the 80-400 (well the full size image is!) along with fast AF for BIF, although this one was going cross frame.

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/bhg/h2763bb97#h2763bb97

Third, another BIF. This time a very fast moving bird just taken off and the combo picked up the focus very fast, before it was flying away from me. It is important to get the shots before the head turns away too much so the speed you can get the AF on the bird is vital.

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/local/hb042d44#hb042d44

Fourth, the common blackbird. A very boring bird but this was shot in very poor light and so is ISO 6400. Again good enough for the web although probably would struggle printing large.

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/lbb/h3e33dac2#h24ca003d

The last one is one of my gull shots - I'm trying to collect all the Western European Gulls in all their different plumages (ages/seasons). An 'easy' shot and one where the combo should produce the goods. Shame the canada goose in the backgroud didnt oblige!

Yes, the D800E has to be one of the best bodies for wildlife and the 80-400AFs has to be one of the best choices for walkabout handheld shooting (all the above were handheld), but at a price. You are not going to get much better without spending a lot of money on a big prime. The D800E is an improvement over my D600 - maybe 10% better in reach (ie increased croppability) - gut feel only - although I found the AF accuracy on the D600 slightly better for BIF - but that is probably me needing to sort out the AF settings which I think behave differently on the D800E. It is still very fast though. Get yourself the D800E. You will not be disappointed.

Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
lampman
Like?

Hello Andy,

Thanks very much for such a detailed and helpful reply.

Excellent pics and useful information.

Links 2 & 3 are actually the same shot, so couldn't see the bird flying away.

I notice on the details of the last shot that the focal length says 600mm and the digital zoom says 1.5, is this the camera setting?

My favourite shot is actually the blackbird, common or not, but they are all good.

Did you go to Ace Cameras in Bath?
You did say you would let me have an idea of the serial number of your D800E, to compare with my dealer's stock in Salisbury, it would be helpful when you have time.

I want to get the 500mm f4 but it won't be in the near future, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks again I will be watching your website.

Kind regards

Graham

Dr Bob
Like?

lampman wrote:

Hello Andy,

Thanks very much for such a detailed and helpful reply.

Excellent pics and useful information.

Links 2 & 3 are actually the same shot, so couldn't see the bird flying away.

I notice on the details of the last shot that the focal length says 600mm and the digital zoom says 1.5, is this the camera setting?

My favourite shot is actually the blackbird, common or not, but they are all good.

Did you go to Ace Cameras in Bath?
You did say you would let me have an idea of the serial number of your D800E, to compare with my dealer's stock in Salisbury, it would be helpful when you have time.

I want to get the 500mm f4 but it won't be in the near future, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks again I will be watching your website.

Kind regards

Graham

Graham,

I must have pasted in the wrong link. The link should have been to

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/bif/h3a94be45#h3a94be45

a Goldeneye, flying away fast.

I have no idea why the last one is showing 600mm. It was taken with the 800e and the 80-400Afs as per the other ones. I know what you are saying about the backbird. I think it is great performance at and iso of 6400. It does help to get close to the birds.

I got the 800e from LCE in Bath as none of the Cardiff shops had one.

Take care

lampman
Like?

Thanks Andy,

Love the Goldeneye, this is also @ 1.5 digital zoom.

I wonder if you are shooting in DX crop mode?

Thanks for taking the time to post all this, really helped me decide on the D800E.

If you get chance with the serial number that would be great.

Best

Graham

Dr Bob
Like?

lampman wrote:

Thanks Andy,

Love the Goldeneye, this is also @ 1.5 digital zoom.

I wonder if you are shooting in DX crop mode?

Thanks for taking the time to post all this, really helped me decide on the D800E.

If you get chance with the serial number that would be great.

Best

Graham

Graham, I have Pm'd the serial number.

Yes, I sometimes use crop mode to reduce file size or to increase the fps IF the subject is small in the viewfinder. I have made a few mistakes though where the subject was bigger than I thought - or flew nearer and so ended up chopping of a wing tip or tail. I am therefore far more careful now and only go to crop mode when no danger of clipping bits off. It is very fast to change from one to the other though via a pre-assigned button.

Good luck

lampman
Like?

Thanks Andy, got it.

Good to see that the 1.5 crop mode doesn't seem to compromise quality, but I understand that as the viewfinder only shows a frame that it can be quite hard to use.

Talk again.

Regards

Graham

lampman
Like?
In reply to lampman, 6 months ago

Thanks for your help with this everyone.

Picked up the D800E about 10 days ago from my local dealer and the serial number seems in sequence with other newly supplied bodies.

I would like to fine tune my lenses and would like to hear what current methods are favourite, especially as I have a couple of longer lenses.

Just for interest the lenses are:

AF-S 80-400mm

AF-S 300mm f4

AF-S 24-70mm

AF-S 14-24mm

AF-S 105mm micro

Is there a method that I can use on all of these despite the varying minimum focusing distances.

Thanks in advance

Graham

lampman
Like?
In reply to lampman, 6 months ago

Can anyone help with this please.

Many thanks

Graham

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads