Nikon D800E or Canon 5d Mark 3 ?!

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Altin
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Nikon D800E or Canon 5d Mark 3 ?!
7 months ago

I'm ready to buy an FX camera ... i am for D800E. All my friends photographer say to get Canon 5D Mark 3.

What happen !! Why 8 photographers in 10 have a Canon 5D Mark 3 !!?

Any one have some think to say about this ?

Thank you,

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
low3llSD
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D800E or Canon 5d Mark 3 ?!
In reply to Altin, 7 months ago

Depends what your photography will be?

low3llSD's gear list:low3llSD's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Altin
Like?
In reply to low3llSD, 7 months ago

low3llSD wrote:

Portraits, wedding, and more

jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,661
Like?

Altin wrote:

low3llSD wrote:

The nikon is a decent wedding camera though I'd not pay extra for the E, and the file size puts me off. If you have no lenses already and you have to choose between these two, the canon providing the focus array is better than the 610 (not a difficult ask). The 610 isn't an ideal wedding camera, great file size, no quick focus check on playback (unless that has been addressed) and I'd prefer a focus-on and a preflash button on the back (d300/700/800). Studio/landscapes? Easily the 800.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,533Gear list
Like?

For weddings, I would choose the Canon for smaller file sizes.  I also think skin tones may be less accurate, but more pleasing on the Canon.

The D800 are some accurate, fantastic files, though.  No doubt the "best camera" around.

If your friends shoot, Canon, frankly, I would shoot Canon too so that you can swap equipment when the need arises.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Altin
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 7 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

For weddings, I would choose the Canon for smaller file sizes. I also think skin tones may be less accurate, but more pleasing on the Canon.

The D800 are some accurate, fantastic files, though. No doubt the "best camera" around.

If your friends shoot, Canon, frankly, I would shoot Canon too so that you can swap equipment when the need arises.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.

no .... in connection with my friends not a matter of interest ... BUT and in my research results .. I see that the Canon 5d mk3 prefer more .. WHY?  Is really better from d800 or d800e !!!??

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,533Gear list
Like?

Altin wrote:

InTheMist wrote:

For weddings, I would choose the Canon for smaller file sizes. I also think skin tones may be less accurate, but more pleasing on the Canon.

The D800 are some accurate, fantastic files, though. No doubt the "best camera" around.

-- hide signature --

no .... in connection with my friends not a matter of interest ... BUT and in my research results .. I see that the Canon 5d mk3 prefer more .. WHY? Is really better from d800 or d800e !!!??

It's not better.  The colors are less accurate and the resolution is much lower.  As I said, do the skin tones look better?  Many say yes.

Will you be shooting JPEG or Raw?  I find the Canon JPEG engine also a bit better, but the Nikon's Raw files are a thing to behold.

-- hide signature --

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791Gear list
Like?

Nikon Jpegs & Raw are better by a good stretch due to higher DR and less NR applied.

My 7D jpeg shadow and high light recover are very limited by noise and highlight ceiling. Nikon files are look better even before PP.

We really don't know if 5D outsells D800/e by 8 times. I was in market recently and went for D800e.

For wedding some prefer the smaller files and very quiet shutter noise.

Skin tone is subjective and varies amongst cameras & brands. The notion that Canon skin tone is better is driven mostly by the canon fans. Some believes that Fuji's is the best. It boils down to the photographers post processing skills for most part.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E +8 more
Altin
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 7 months ago

caspianm wrote:

Nikon Jpegs & Raw are better by a good stretch due to higher DR and less NR applied.

My 7D jpeg shadow and high light recover are very limited by noise and highlight ceiling. Nikon files are look better even before PP.

We really don't know if 5D outsells D800/e by 8 times. I was in market recently and went for D800e.

Skin tone is subjective and varies amongst cameras & brands. The notion that Canon skin tone is better is driven mostly by the canon fans. Some believes that Fuji's is the best. It boils down to the photographers post processing skills for most part.

Thank you,
I really want to know beyond the view that some fans say about these cameras !

adrian1sun
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?

Head to your local friendly retailer and have a play with both.

See how prices compare, including whatever lenses you choose to go with.

I certainly don't need 36mp and considered the 5D3 because of it's smaller file size. But when released it was AU$500 more expensive than the 800. Plus the 800 RAW files exhibited much more leeway in opening up shadow detail.

adrian1sun's gear list:adrian1sun's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
adrian1sun
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?

Altin wrote:

caspianm wrote:

My 7D jpeg shadow and high light recover are very limited by noise and highlight ceiling. Nikon files are look better even before PP.

Skin tone is subjective and varies amongst cameras & brands. The notion that Canon skin tone is better is driven mostly by the canon fans. Some believes that Fuji's is the best. It boils down to the photographers post processing skills for most part.

Thank you,
I really want to know beyond the view that some fans say about these cameras !

You've probably come to the wrong place...

Go to Flickr etc and do a search on 5D3 and D800.

adrian1sun's gear list:adrian1sun's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Altin
Like?
In reply to adrian1sun, 7 months ago

thank you my friend ... but that is the problem... because when i see around like flickr, 500px and etc  i see too much 5d mk3 users and for this  i am skeptic!!

frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?

my first thought is you are comparing two cameras which belong to slightly different genres.  super high resolution against high performance and acceptance.  if your goal is wedding photography and the photogs you'll shoot with will have canon, u should too.  sharing of accessories is invaluable. i have nikon and from all i've seen, canon video works much better. maybe i'm wrong on that so if video is important to u, u should research that aspect.

caspianm
Like?

Altin wrote:

thank you my friend ... but that is the problem... because when i see around like flickr, 500px and etc i see too much 5d mk3 users and for this i am skeptic!!

You need to determine what your needs & likes are. Buying an equipment is highly personal.

Spend sometime about what you want to do with the camera and features offered. Once you do that it is much easier. If you need a smaller mega pixel footprint D610 saves you nearly one grand. And there is the Canon 6D which can be bought for nearly $1500. Don't put too much stock into which camera is a better selling one.

caspianm
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 7 months ago

frank-in-toronto wrote:

i have nikon and from all i've seen, canon video works much better. maybe i'm wrong on that so if video is important to u, u should research that aspect.

I don't take video but highly doubt that 5dIII offers much better video. Last time I looked D800/e offers uncompressed video out that 5DIII lacked. This site review says D800 video is better.

Altin
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 7 months ago

caspianm wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

i have nikon and from all i've seen, canon video works much better. maybe i'm wrong on that so if video is important to u, u should research that aspect.

I don't take video but highly doubt that 5dIII offers much better video. Last time I looked D800/e offers uncompressed video out that 5DIII lacked. This site review says D800 video is better.

video is not problem for me.. i don't care about this..  the photo is important for me...

i am between d800e and 5d mk 3 ! there is the problem !!!

caspianm
Like?

Altin wrote:

caspianm wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

video is not problem for me.. i don't care about this.. the photo is important for me...

i am between d800e and 5d mk 3 ! there is the problem !!!

Then you need to decide if 36mp and better DR are what you want/need or smaller files of 5DIII. For some wedding pros it is not easy to batch process a pile of 36mm files.

Nikon traditionally has better flash system if you care. Nikon is cheaper as well but you need to find out what lenses and figure out the prices. 5DIII with 24-105IS can be purchased cheaper. On the other hand D800 with 24-120VR is going to be a bit more expensive. At the end of the day both systems are great and cannot go wrong. Having said I would not trade my D800e with 5dIII.

jtra
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?

Altin wrote:

low3llSD wrote:

Image sensor differences: D800 will be better low ISO camera, but 5Dmk3 will be better high ISO camera. The middle point is about ISO 800 to 1600:

http://sensorgen.info/CanonEOS_5D_MkIII.html

http://sensorgen.info/NikonD800.html

So if your style is to use flash to keep ISO low, D800 might be better for you. If your style is high ISO no flash, 5Dmk3 will fit you better.

AF systems are quite hard to compare, yet vital to weddings. Some people have complained that D800 has issues with AF accuracy on wide and fast lenses with leftmost AF points.

Wedding photographers often dislike 36MP as it is slowing their workflow and increasing long term storage requirements and they don't need that much resolution for most of the prints they produce.

For weddings, it would be best to ask in Wedding forum here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48

Most of people there use Canons, but Nikon users are there as well. Use that forum search function to search for "D800" in message body.

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?

I appreciate your interest in obtaining factual data, but in all honesty I don't think you're going to get much. I'm not convinced that's the way the majority of people purchase cameras.

I guess you could look at all the tables and charts comparing technical data and listen to the people who know about such things, but unless you regularly make images of charts and walls that information may not be what you really want to know.

It seems to me, and this is certainly nothing but my own opinion, that you could purchase any one of the most recent generation of high end cameras from any one of the top half dozen or so manufactures, make the same photograph with all of them, print them all at 13 x 19, and almost nobody would be able to tell the difference.

Granted, experienced, trained, and skilled workers can extract better performance from certain equipment, and experienced, trained, and skilled workers can probably detect the difference.  Might even be some folks on this forum who can tell.  But probably not a lot.

I think most of this stuff gets bought because somebody finds the shape or tactile experience or layout of the controls or weight or their personal user experience or something like that rather than based on hard data.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,716Gear list
Like?
spot on!
In reply to coronawithlime, 7 months ago

you're right... you wont get a factual reply because most replies are based on subjective things. I.e OOC jpeg colours, handling. Example many say they prefer the larger grip of the D7/800 series over the smaller bodied D600. That's ok

But now the Df has hardly any grip in comparison and that seems to be 'no issue' Again it's all subjective. Ask this question on the Canon forum and see what you get; as unbiased as here no doubt.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads