no point - just I hate W8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
tom graham
Contributing MemberPosts: 774
Like?
no point - just I hate W8
6 months ago

After two days of setting up my wife's new laptop, Lenovo G710, it would not boot up into W8.1.  Did system recovery back to factory defaults to W8.  Installed 8.1.  No really big deal, just waiting time.  Now on a restart it goes to the laptop camera and wants a password.   WTF!!!   I'm now recovering back to factory default, W8.  As we speak.

I'm sooooo tempted to give it to her after this recovery (with W8) saying - it's yours, and, if you give up I'll put W7 on it and maintain it.

Do I feel better now after this rant?  NO!!

Thanks for listening to this waste of bandwidth - Tom

ps - somebody plz say - I feel your pain

Canon PowerShot G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,960
Like?
Re: no point - just I hate W8
In reply to tom graham, 6 months ago

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!!!

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DUSTY LENS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,744
Like?

tom graham wrote:

After two days of setting up my wife's new laptop, Lenovo G710, it would not boot up into W8.1. Did system recovery back to factory defaults to W8. Installed 8.1. No really big deal, just waiting time. Now on a restart it goes to the laptop camera and wants a password. WTF!!! I'm now recovering back to factory default, W8. As we speak.

I'm sooooo tempted to give it to her after this recovery (with W8) saying - it's yours, and, if you give up I'll put W7 on it and maintain it.

Do I feel better now after this rant? NO!!

Thanks for listening to this waste of bandwidth - Tom

ps - somebody plz say - I feel your pain

You know what to do , just do it and put this W-8 Thingy behind you .

You have my support .

I don't want your pain and I don't need it , I have my own .

Dusty

KJC
KJC
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to DUSTY LENS, 6 months ago

I'm still fairly new to Lose 8 (just got a new laptop a few months ago), but I can sympathize. This OS seems to be constantly trying to sell me something, and constantly trying to take me away from my desktop and the task at hand. Funk dat! Maybe I'll just sell it and put the proceeds toward more canned foods and ammo for my underground bunker

Roland Wooster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,963
Like?
Solution

Tom,

Just install Start8 from www.stardock.com and enjoy windows 8. You get the benefits of Win8, while it looks like Win7. You can download a free trial to start off with, and if you like it, the app is only $4.99. It fixes the menu and all the unfamiliar behavior of Win8.

Frankly I now often forget that my Win8.1 isn't actually Win7 just like the rest of my machine's.

I do recommend that if you stay with Win8 you do upgrade to WIn8.1, they provided the patch for a reason.

Roland.

-- hide signature --
tom graham
Like?
Re: Solution
In reply to Roland Wooster, 6 months ago

Thanks RW, I'll keep stadock in mind.

I started this system recovery 2(?) hours ago. W8 updates finally downloaded and installed. I just now started the 8.1 down load.

Lesson learned - make system image often. Will save beacoup hours starting from factory 8. Why didn't the Lenovo come with 8.1 to begin with?

Tom

tom graham
Like?

Going on about 8 hours and still laptop is "setting up" W8.1.

Then the pleasure of being forced to give an email address!!!

Soon as I get a clean boot going to make a system recovery back-up.

Tom

Mark H
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813
Like?
Possible/probable reason why not supplied with Win 8.1 ...

tom graham wrote:

Lesson learned - make system image often. Will save beacoup hours starting from factory 8. Why didn't the Lenovo come with 8.1 to begin with?

Depends - partly on when that Lenovo was actually manufactured, and whether or not Win 8.1 had been tested/approved to be compatible for all its hardware/device drivers/all its pre-installed software etc, by Lenovo at the time of manufacture.

If there were any doubts/un-tested compatibility risks, re the newer OS version, then Lenovo would 'play safe' and continue to install the more 'stable/established' OS version i.e. Win 8.0 until they were sure the new version works OK.

It might be worth checking Lenovo's support web-pages for advice/warnings re updating Win 8 to 8.1.

Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?

Not a big fan of Win 8 myself.  I've tested it from beta to Win 8.1.  Generally I find every other Microsoft OS to be good.  I believe MS uses the consumer to test and iron out the bugs of their software.

Win 98 - good

Win ME - not good

Win XP - good

Win Vista - not good

Win 7 - good

Win 8 - not good

Win 9 - probably good.

Windows Vista eventually became a good OS after a bunch of upgrades and service packs from MS after a bunch of user complaints.  When Vista finally became polish, it was repackaged and released as Win 7 which means even more $$$ for MS.  We the user (aka suckers) paid MS for the privilege of being their product testers.

Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,294
Like?

Do you have a legit license ?

tom graham
Like?
In reply to Cigarguy, 6 months ago

IMHO, you left out the best ever - W2000.  Every MS OS after it was just bloatware.

MS is not as dumb as they seem.   Release W8 and we buy it to get the latest OS, but it needs lot of work so next release W9, new and improved W8.  So we buy it.

Tom

tom graham
Like?
In reply to Archer66, 6 months ago

Do I have a legit license? Well, Lenovo installed it on the G710 and Staples (office supplies) sold it to me. Is there a system config screen  ( MY PC?) that says it is "genuine W8" like on W7?

FWIW, at this time, 3am Pacific time. 2/15, USA. The W8 updates  finished about an hour ago. Tomorrow first thing I'm going to make a system restore of W8 on a partition on the HDD. Then upgrade to 8.1, then another system restore copy. Ultimately when I get it all set up like I want (hopefully before the Ides of March!). I will clone the entire laptop HDD to an external HDD. I will then test the clone by taking out the laptop HDD, plug in my clone and the laptop should work. Thus the ultimate system restore disk no matter what happens to the original HDD. Done this for many years and has saved me a lot of headaches.

Tom

ps - I wonder if W8 is "signed" with the original HDD? Thus making a clone not work?

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,770Gear list
Like?

Tom -

"I feel your pain"...  there..I've said it....
But although I doubt if it's any consolation to you now.. I have to say that I've been using computers for what is surely well more than 40 years..started in fact with DOS system where you had to plug in a cartridge to get a system (!)..then onto the more modern ones with Windows of whatever kind.. early Win98 - Millenium etc etc.. but I've always had to use laptops and use a good reliable one , so it's been SONY Vaio's for the last 10 or more years... my last one on XP (now SP3) is still running and so I'm keeping that going for now...

But I just got totally fed-up with the prospects of Windows and such as v8 or whatever it would be... had enough of it.. so when the chance came along last October, I bought myself a MacBook Pro..   and I kid you not..NEVER....EVER...in my whole history of laptops of any kind...have I had so much satisfaction and pleasure from this one.. I still have to keep my Sony going with Windows.. but I've been weaning   myself into the Mac and honestly..totally surprised AND delighted with what I've been able to do in these last months..

If EVER you get to the point with this damned Windows lark... do not hesitate.. you may well be as surprised as me...  have some FUN out of the damned machines at last...I wonder if Windows will EVER give anybody that !!

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,057
Like?

tom graham wrote:

Going on about 8 hours and still laptop is "setting up" W8.1.

Sounds like a hardware issue, bad drive or something file system related. That might explain why it wouldn't boot to begin with.

Thank you
Russell

Austinian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
Re: Solution
In reply to Roland Wooster, 6 months ago

Roland Wooster wrote:

Tom,

Just install Start8 from www.stardock.com and enjoy windows 8. You get the benefits of Win8, while it looks like Win7. You can download a free trial to start off with, and if you like it, the app is only $4.99. It fixes the menu and all the unfamiliar behavior of Win8.

The "Start Menu" replacement programs like this really do work well. I use Classic Shell, and as you say Start8 is very popular.

Frankly I now often forget that my Win8.1 isn't actually Win7 just like the rest of my machine's.

Me, too. Except that I like the Win 8.1 File Manager better than Win 7 Explorer.

I do recommend that if you stay with Win8 you do upgrade to WIn8.1, they provided the patch for a reason.

I disliked 'Metro' on sight, and still have no use for it.

But I can't get upset with Win 8/8.1 when the Metro UI problems are so easy to fix.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,456
Like?

Yeah, Microsoft has as much as said that W8 is a flop, though some folks like it (someone alwayssays stuff like that.): "I hate banging my head on the cabinet." "You just aren't banging your head on the cabinet properly" or "you'll get used to it."

Microsoft has announced that W9 is coming out next year. Hopefully it will continue the winner/flop/winner/flop cycle of Microsoft OS.

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,874Gear list
Like?

You may want to check in at this forum for some help. The regular posters there are quite knowledgeable and civilized. I use Windows 8 but have not upgraded to 8.1 yet. That is my next task. I just have to get myself excited about ditching the goofy Fisher Price Metro stuff, and take the leap.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
bananahead
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, 6 months ago

hotdog321 wrote:

Yeah, Microsoft has as much as said that W8 is a flop, though some folks like it (someone alwayssays stuff like that.): "I hate banging my head on the cabinet." "You just aren't banging your head on the cabinet properly" or "you'll get used to it."

Microsoft has announced that W9 is coming out next year. Hopefully it will continue the winner/flop/winner/flop cycle of Microsoft OS.

Bollocks.

There may be some vocal people on the internet saying that they don't like Windows 8. But the internet is always full of people that moan. There are many more people that are simply happy.

Microsoft have not announced Wwindows 9.

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,109Gear list
Like?
Contact Lenove see if they will send you disks to go back to 7

If no, take it back until Win 8 replacement comes out.  New team at Microsoft working on it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,456
Like?
In reply to bananahead, 6 months ago