C&C Night shot

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,742Gear list
Like?
C&C Night shot
8 months ago

Full or nearly full moon tonight. Ice Storm last night. Tried some night shots. Had no luck at all with the moon. Everything too bright. Use AI, P, A, some with bracketing, EV adjust all over the place. Frustrating. Did get a couple of shot near to what I wanted with the moon on the edge of the frame shining on-through the ice on the tree. Like the flares but wonder how it could be done without them.

Sock it to me people. I want to learn.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Fujifilm FinePix S5700 Zoom +6 more
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Like?
Re: C&C Night shot
In reply to Briansdad1, 8 months ago

Unfortunately having a lens system with a dozen elements you are bound to get some reflections. The non-reflective coatings help some, but they are not 100% effective.

On your shot, you were almost pointing directly at the moon, hence the reflections as that side light is bouncing between your lens elements.

The same thing will happen if you are pointing the camera near the sun.

The only way to avoid these reflections is to keep the camera away from the bright light source or use a really long lens hood.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Briansdad1
Like?

Ah, I just realized I completely forgot about metering mode. I was on multi and I needed spot for shots directly at the moon especially since I chose not to be very tight. center weighted would have helped with the iced tree shots (not with flare but in the branches part) I think.

I kind of like the flare but don't know if that is considered corny or just wrong.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Fujifilm FinePix S5700 Zoom +6 more
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?

Brian I think what will help is if you learn your metering types and focus points.

Try this.  Put your camera on Aperture Priority "A" and then change your metering to spot.  Select your aperture for example f2.8 also ISO on 100 or Auto.  The moon is very bright.  Now change your focus method "left on the four way controller to 1 area.  You can change the size but the default size is fine.

Now focus on the moon.  The Spot metering will tell the camera to adjust the shutter speed to expose for the light in that focus point.  You can use EC easily from there.

If you choose to use 23 area focus which ever focus point locks on, that is where the exposure is metered from on spot, so that can be difficult if it grabs a dark or light spot.  So I usually lock my focus and exposure with the back button AEL/AFL on the center 1 area focus point, then recompose, and press the shutter.  For the moon just place the point and focus with the shutter and shoot.

I actually dont mind some lens flare but make sure your hood is on if you want to reduce it.  Or block stray light with your hand.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Like?

The spot metering may not have helped with the flare. As for right or wrong, that is totally up to what you want to see in your photo. Everybody has their own taste. What might be nice for me might be naughty for you. All that counts is that you are happy with your shots.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +8 more
danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,372Gear list
Like?

Actually, it's a cool shot!  But when I shoot the moon directly, I use M mode.  The moon is very, very bright and so if you expose for the moon, you will get no details in the shadows.  Here is where photoshop can come in handy.  You can take a photo exposed for the moon and one exposed for the darks and superimpose them using layers.  Though that may be considered cheating for some photo purists.  A lens hood would help with the light flare.

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 +2 more
Briansdad1
Like?
In reply to Jerry045, 8 months ago

Actually I mentioned that I failesd on a moon shot - that is where the spot metering was needed.

Briansdad1
Like?
In reply to danielsonkin, 8 months ago

Thanks. Having trouble finding a lens hood for m FGZ70 that won't show in the corners of my 20mm wide shots. The one I've tried has a mounting ring and the hood quick mounts-releases from the ring. It's the mounting ring that shows in the image. Don't want to waste any more money on mail order hoods until I fine out what has worked for someone else.

Briansdad1
Like?
In reply to phazelag, 8 months ago

Thanks. I'll do this next chance i get (snow tonight, 8 to 12 inches).

bolador
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?

Hi.
To shot the moon you need to do spot metering . Full moon is realy bright over a dark background... that will confuse the camera metering in matrix or even center wighted modes.
Infinite focus may be an isue too. Try manual focus..

For the flares...
1st be sure you are not using any kind of filters.. the bluish one to the right is like coming from a filter. Did you use any kind of "protection" filter? Just don't..
And make yourself a hood..
Is kind of impossible to have a hood close enogh to be usefull at 1200mm eq that don't vignetes at 20mm .. so make a cone ( more like a tube ) of something black. Not reflectant arround the lens and take the shot.. then discard it if you want.

Enjoy it

bolador's gear list:bolador's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to danielsonkin, 8 months ago

danielsonkin wrote:

Actually, it's a cool shot! But when I shoot the moon directly, I use M mode. The moon is very, very bright and so if you expose for the moon, you will get no details in the shadows. Here is where photoshop can come in handy. You can take a photo exposed for the moon and one exposed for the darks and superimpose them using layers. Though that may be considered cheating for some photo purists. A lens hood would help with the light flare.

Daniel

I agree, I actually like the light.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Briansdad1
Like?
In reply to bolador, 8 months ago

Yes, I have a UV filter on to protect the lens. Don't need to have it there all the time. I like to shoot when I'm hiking (main reason I went with the FZ70 over the FZ200, wide and very long as needed) where there's lots of hazards, especially pitchy pine and fur bows.

Manual focus - I will but i wish I had some sort of assist ib  the viewfinder to judge optimal focus as my old eyes are not optimal anymore.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads