Tamron 150-600mm

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
mountaingirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?
Tamron 150-600mm
7 months ago

I'm renting this lens for a week for some birding and general wildlife shots.  I've never had a lens that approached 600mm and am wondering how many others had had the chance to own/rent one.

I'm expecting quite a workout just carrying it around.

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,206
Like?
Re: Tamron 150-600mm
In reply to mountaingirl, 7 months ago

Here's someone that just purchased one.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53117638

You can also look through this thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53072820

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bwana4swahili
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?

mountaingirl wrote:

I'm renting this lens for a week for some birding and general wildlife shots. I've never had a lens that approached 600mm and am wondering how many others had had the chance to own/rent one.

I have one on order but haven't received it yet.

I have, however, used long lenses and telescopes in the past so really wanting to see how the Tamron 150-600 performs in comparison...  I plan on using it on a Canon 60D and Sony A7R (w/ adapter).

Let us know how the week's rental works out?

bwa

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +51 more
rebel99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,439
Like?

mountaingirl wrote:

I'm renting this lens for a week for some birding and general wildlife shots. I've never had a lens that approached 600mm and am wondering how many others had had the chance to own/rent one.

i use a canon 600 f4II and it is very heavy without a tripod, even for a few moments and i am in good shape physically the 150-600mm lens covers a wide FL so its IQ is suspect (i can easily bet on it)! please post your findings for us when you are done with it.

cheerz.

denisg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166Gear list
Like?

mountaingirl wrote:

I have this lens with my 1D Mk III, what would you like to know?

Please bear in mind that none of us owners have had this lens for very long though

I have some of my initial pics at http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=44 if you want to take a look and ask questions. Exif should be present on all.

Denis.

-- hide signature --

DenisG.
http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/
First get a pic, if it's still there, compose one!

denisg's gear list:denisg's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 7D +11 more
shenango
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?

mountaingirl wrote:

There is a group on Flickr specifically for this lens.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2470447@N21/

There are over 300 photos to look at and most of them will have exif data associated. I also have a 150-600 and like it very much I have shot it with my Rebel T2i but use it mainly on my 5Dmk3. The IQ can be very good if not excellent when you have sufficient light. There is plenty of information on this forum and the Third Party Lens forum here at DP. If you are going to shoot BIF start at 400mm or so until you get use to the weight and length of this lens. It won't be long until you are at the full 600mm and not thinking twice about it. Good luck and I hope you get some memorable shots.

-- hide signature --

Shenango

shenango's gear list:shenango's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?

If you don't have a tripod / monopod - , a broom handle will work . Anything over about 300 mm will be hard to stay on subject .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
PK62
Contributing MemberPosts: 786Gear list
Like?

mountaingirl wrote:

I just got mine and have been using the 100-400.  I've found with this lens that I need my monopod, but other than that it's not bad at all.

-- hide signature --

Patti

PK62's gear list:PK62's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +4 more
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to PK62, 7 months ago

I can hand hold up to about 300 mm . The 135-400 , 35-350 and 70-200 + 2X III , all need the 'pod unless really good light . Even then 1/250 is about as slow as I go . I like to be faster than 1/500 .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 16,055
Like?
In reply to denisg, 7 months ago

denisg wrote:

mountaingirl wrote:

I have this lens with my 1D Mk III, what would you like to know?

Hi. Someone on another thread asked if when the Tamron 150-600 is used on 1D series camera with a reporting TC, does it report the focal length and f-stop correctly, or is the otherwise-reporting TC ignored completely. Do you know?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads