Like?
Re: $AU469.00@DCW
In reply to Ianperegian, 9 months ago

Ianperegian wrote:

cainn24 wrote:

Ianperegian wrote:

cainn24 wrote:

Ted's price has come down to AU$549 now

That’s equivalent to US $494, which is still US $45 more than the USA price, but it’s getting better!

DCW now have it listed for $469.00: http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod10776.htm

I got excited when I saw the "Buy Now" option and called them up to see if they actually had any in stock at any of their stores, but all the cupboards were bare. The rep I spoke to informed me that the stock was expected on or around March 20.

Thanks for that! It’s a very good price (= US $419) and they’ve been around a long time. I’ve bought from them in the past.   Ian  --  Ianperegian  http://www.ianperegian.com/

Ian, Cainn24, thanks for the headsups. B&H are at USD449 not inc. p&p. So for once, the priices in Oz seem to warrant consideration

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,926
Like?
Re: TZ60 vs LF1 vs LX7 @ 10MP
In reply to danielsonkin, 9 months ago

Yes Daniel, the ZS40 apparently isn’t far off being shipped.

Another “mini-review” of the TZ60 has just appeared: http://tech.uk.msn.com/cameras/panasonic-lumix-tz60-review.

The reviewer is obviously a big fan of touchscreens, and he would prefer a touchscreen to an EVF. I’m not sure that many people on the forum would agree with that.

He says ”the picture quality is generally excellent” but unfortunately he hasn’t posted any actual sample images so others can judge that for themselves, which is a pity.

Ian

-- hide signature --
21st Hermit
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319
Like?

Ianperegian wrote:

Another “mini-review” of the TZ60 has just appeared: http://tech.uk.msn.com/cameras/panasonic-lumix-tz60-review.

The reviewer is obviously a big fan of touchscreens, and he would prefer a touchscreen to an EVF. I’m not sure that many people on the forum would agree with that.

He says ”the picture quality is generally excellent” but unfortunately he hasn’t posted any actual sample images so others can judge that for themselves, which is a pity.

Ian

-- hide signature --

Indeed!!!

-- hide signature --

Lost in the Colorado Mountains!!!

windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,484Gear list
Like?
Re: Price - now up at £349 :-(

Drat, that place is now showing the standard £349, albeit with a free 8GB card. Should be available later this week.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Ianperegian
Like?
In reply to windmillgolfer, 9 months ago

windmillgolfer wrote:

Drat, that place is now showing the standard £349, albeit with a free 8GB card. Should be available later this week.

Maybe that’s because they could be first to have them Stuart, and are hoping it's demand vs supply?

Ian

-- hide signature --
windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,484Gear list
Like?

Ian,

not sure where I read it, probably here, but wasn't there some suggestion that Panasonic is  forcing retailers to stick to the standard RRP, initially at least.  I might hang on a week or three, though I'd rather not.  I have a trip coming up mid-May where an EVF should often be necessary due to bright sun but I will have both LX7 and FZ200. So, could just use the FZ200 when required.  The TZ60 may even turn into a Christmas present, when the price should have come down.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,841
Like?

I am not sure why you consider these as alternatives. Then of course with the TZ40 being unable to switch the touch screen off there is a problem with us left eye dominant people taking pictures with our nose with a corner viewfinder.

Probably the cost of rewriting the firmware coupled with the cost of the viewfinder did make it an alternative. One poster said with a great deal of truth that camera firmware is pretty well cast in stone so presumably touch screen had to go.

One irritation with the TZ40 is that metering mode which I like to have accessible is buried in page 3 of the menu as far as I have found. Is it any easier to change it with the TZ60? It does show the problems in developing firmware that tabbing pages seems to defeat many camera makers and it means wading down pages and pages of options with just the cursor or a dial.

Ianperegian wrote:

Ian

-- hide signature --
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
Tech.UK Conclusion on Image Quality
In reply to 21st Hermit, 9 months ago

And in the conclusion: "Probably the only issues we might take with the TZ60 are over the AF system and the colour reproduction. After all the hype about how fast the AF was supposed to be, it wasn’t something we really noticed. That’s not to say it was slow - there was certainly some hunting at maximum zoom and during darker conditions - it’s just that it didn’t seem like anything much to shout about either.

As for the colour reproduction, it’s not so much that the colours don't look good, it’s more that you get what we like to refer to as the ‘Samsung Effect’. The monitor on the rear tends to make colours look far more saturated in previews than when you upload them to your computer. Either prepare for some disappointment or better would be to adjust the output of the LCD to something more realistic."

Ianperegian wrote:

Ian

-- hide signature --
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
Re: Tech.UK Conclusion on Image Quality
In reply to John McCormack, 9 months ago

John McCormack wrote:

And in the conclusion: "After all the hype about how fast the AF was supposed to be, it wasn’t something we really noticed. That’s not to say it was slow - there was certainly some hunting at maximum zoom and during darker conditions - it’s just that it didn’t seem like anything much to shout about either.

What hype? Panasonic simply stated that the AF was 20% faster at the wide end, and 30% faster at the tele end, as compared to the TZ40/ZS30. A proper evaluation of the truth of that statement could only be conducted by performing said comparison.

As for the colour reproduction, it’s not so much that the colours don't look good, it’s more that you get what we like to refer to as the ‘Samsung Effect’. The monitor on the rear tends to make colours look far more saturated in previews than when you upload them to your computer. Either prepare for some disappointment or better would be to adjust the output of the LCD to something more realistic."

Without knowing anything about how the reviewer calibrated the external display device he/she used during his evaluation (if he did at all), or what state of configuration the camera was in, it's hard to put much stock in this assessment.

If he/she is right, though, it might bother a few other people here and there. But not me. Adjusting colours is one of the most trivial of all PP exercises.

danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,404Gear list
Like?

Ianperegian wrote:

Ian

-- hide signature --

Notouchscreen for me!  I'm a button-guy myself.  Hmm, that sounds weird!

Thanks for the link.

Technically, I don't need it right away, since we aren't going anywhere until late April (New Orleans) and there I'll be doing mostly street photography, so I'll be using my LX7 or G11.  But wifey is buying the ZS40 for my birthday this month, so I could get it sooner than later.  Maybe Amazon will drop the price a bit before I push the button (I must have a button fetish).

Take care,

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
21st Hermit
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319
Like?
Amazon

danielsonkin wrote:

Technically, I don't need it right away, since we aren't going anywhere until late April (New Orleans) and there I'll be doing mostly street photography, so I'll be using my LX7 or G11. But wifey is buying the ZS40 for my birthday this month, so I could get it sooner than later. Maybe Amazon will drop the price a bit before I push the button (I must have a button fetish).

Amazon has yet to list the ZS40, unless you're more skilled than I. I've only found it on B&H and Panasonic.

-- hide signature --

Say Hey
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Like?
In reply to cainn24, 9 months ago

Imaging-resource.com has developed a paradigm and an expertise, and it has a prime purpose of being paid for the use of these. It no doubt cares about the "spirit," but it also cares about its bills at the end of the month. Just as you and I do.

Next time, perhaps, you will give it the clicks it rightfully owns and deserves. It will take care of selling those via its advertising department.

-- hide signature --

I appreciate this forum.
Say Hey

danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,404Gear list
Like?
Re: Amazon
In reply to 21st Hermit, 9 months ago

21st Hermit wrote:

danielsonkin wrote:

Technically, I don't need it right away, since we aren't going anywhere until late April (New Orleans) and there I'll be doing mostly street photography, so I'll be using my LX7 or G11. But wifey is buying the ZS40 for my birthday this month, so I could get it sooner than later. Maybe Amazon will drop the price a bit before I push the button (I must have a button fetish).

Amazon has yet to list the ZS40, unless you're more skilled than I. I've only found it on B&H and Panasonic.

-- hide signature --

I have been watching Amazon for a pre-order page to go up.  Nothing as of today.

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
In reply to Say Hey, 9 months ago

Say Hey wrote:

Imaging-resource.com has developed a paradigm and an expertise, and it has a prime purpose of being paid for the use of these. It no doubt cares about the "spirit," but it also cares about its bills at the end of the month. Just as you and I do.

Next time, perhaps, you will give it the clicks it rightfully owns and deserves. It will take care of selling those via its advertising department.

Since my intention was to provide a comparison that couldn't be properly performed using their own comparometer, I think my contribution here would easily pass a fair use balancing test, particularly when all other factors are considered.

Feel free to argue otherwise. Feel free to ask the mods to remove a post that has undoubtedly facilitated at least a small number of click-throughs to the source by virtue of the link I included.

If you're successful, I'll simply re-create my comparison by developing cropped JPEGs from the RAW files that imaging-resource made available for download and then we can have a good old argument about whether or not it is acceptable to do that, and whether or not an innumerable number of other dpreview posts need to be removed as well.

Ianperegian
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, 9 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

I am not sure why you consider these as alternatives. Then of course with the TZ40 being unable to switch the touch screen off there is a problem with us left eye dominant people taking pictures with our nose with a corner viewfinder.

My apologies, as I took that out of context somewhat. I think he actually said that if he had to choose, he would rather have a touchscreen than the EVF, especially as he didn’t seem to like the quality of the EVF.

About switching the touchscreen off, as others too have said in the past, with my ZS30 I find that occasionally I can activate the touchscreen or take a shot purely by accident. That could easily be solved by transferring the on/off switch from the touchscreen to a menu item.

Probably the cost of rewriting the firmware coupled with the cost of the viewfinder did make it an alternative. One poster said with a great deal of truth that camera firmware is pretty well cast in stone so presumably touch screen had to go.

That’s an interesting point. I wasn’t aware of that.

One irritation with the TZ40 is that metering mode which I like to have accessible is buried in page 3 of the menu as far as I have found. Is it any easier to change it with the TZ60? It does show the problems in developing firmware that tabbing pages seems to defeat many camera makers and it means wading down pages and pages of options with just the cursor or a dial.

I agree there, as I have often thought I’d prefer the metering mode to be in the “Quick Menu” on my ZS30. IMHO, it could replace the movie setting, which is currently shown in the QM. I don’t think many users would require to be switching often between different movie modes, so that could go into the main menu instead.

I find though that by quickly scrolling through the menu pages using the zoom lever makes individual menu items not all that hard to access.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Ianperegian
Like?

danielsonkin wrote:

Ianperegian wrote:

Ian

-- hide signature --

Notouchscreen for me! I'm a button-guy myself. Hmm, that sounds weird!

Thanks for the link.

Lucky you, Daniel!  It seem you are in for a very happy birthday!

Ian

-- hide signature --
Ianperegian
Like?
In reply to windmillgolfer, 9 months ago

windmillgolfer wrote:

Ian,

not sure where I read it, probably here, but wasn't there some suggestion that Panasonic is forcing retailers to stick to the standard RRP, initially at least. I might hang on a week or three, though I'd rather not. I have a trip coming up mid-May where an EVF should often be necessary due to bright sun but I will have both LX7 and FZ200. So, could just use the FZ200 when required. The TZ60 may even turn into a Christmas present, when the price should have come down.

I think I read that somewhere too, Stuart. Surprisingly though, in Australia there have been TZ60 advertisements for a range of prices below the RRP of Au $549. Currently a retailer here is offering a preorder price of Au $459. That’s unusual, because in the past our camera prices have been relatively much higher here.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Ianperegian
Like?
In reply to Say Hey, 9 months ago

Say Hey wrote:

Imaging-resource.com has developed a paradigm and an expertise, and it has a prime purpose of being paid for the use of these. It no doubt cares about the "spirit," but it also cares about its bills at the end of the month. Just as you and I do.

I gave a direct link to the images on Imaging Resource in an earlier post on this thread, here .

Personally, i think for comparison purposes it was quite valid and acceptable to show those downscaled images, because that could not be done by simply viewing the IR comparator. Such comparisons have been posted on DPR in the past without any complaints. It’s all in the spirit of comparing camera models which people may then buy.

If anyone feels it is in any way unfair, they could make a donation to Imaging Resource as there are options provided for doing that at the top of the comparator image page, with choices for amounts to donate, and which can be found here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-zs40/ZS40hSLI0100.HTM

Ian

-- hide signature --
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,841
Like?

I stand corrected. I had not noticed that, so there is a paging function with the zoom lever. It does seem rather obvious now.

I have 6 cameras and I do get confused between them all what does what.

Thanks for the tip.

Ianperegian wrote:

I find though that by quickly scrolling through the menu pages using the zoom lever makes individual menu items not all that hard to access.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,263Gear list
Like?
Re: ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition

At a price and with a resolution in the middle of the selection, plus EVF, plus RAW, the ZS40 looks well placed.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads