sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,868
Like?
sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect
5 months ago

There are many opinions starting to form of this lens and I am so surprised that people expect this to be a wonder lens! yes it's not cheap but it's still a zoom lens and zooms are a compromise.

So if you expect tack sharp images accross the frame at  large apertures then you may be disappointed!

This lens is versatile and will give you much sharper images than the kit lens especially in the corners but don't expect it to give you prime performance.

At £1049 it's good value when you compare with Canon and Nikon but just dont expect a new level of performance.

Ian

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,108Gear list
Like?
Re: sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect
In reply to ianbrown, 5 months ago

Hi Ian,

I don't think the refrain that primes are always sharper than zooms is always true.  Two notable examples :  the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is sharper than Nikon's own primes within its zoom range and Fuji's 18-55/2.8-4 out-resolves their own 18mm prime. They are a minority of course, but they're there.

I'm strongly considering an A7r but am waiting for a readily available and convincing 21-24mm prime that is small light and sharp from corner to corner.   I would prefer a small prime, but waited for the Zeiss zoom lens in the hope that that it would be a native wide angle that goes as wide as 24mm and that it would offer superlative performance.   As it is, most reviewers of the FE24-70 say that it's very good indeed between 28-60, but that's not quite what I'm after.

Personally I think that these small FF cameras hit the sweet spot for travel and landscape photography and that Sony should have a offered a wider than 35mm prime lens at launch or at least very early in the road map.

If one doesn't emerge fairly soon, or it isn't stellar on the finicky sensor, then the Fuji X system with its excellent 14/2.8 might be the solution, but ATM high res FF still appeals.......

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

There are many opinions starting to form of this lens and I am so surprised that people expect this to be a wonder lens! yes it's not cheap but it's still a zoom lens and zooms are a compromise.

So if you expect tack sharp images accross the frame at large apertures then you may be disappointed!

This lens is versatile and will give you much sharper images than the kit lens especially in the corners but don't expect it to give you prime performance.

At £1049 it's good value when you compare with Canon and Nikon but just dont expect a new level of performance.

Ian

Can you post some samples with it?

sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

So if you expect tack sharp images accross the frame at large apertures then you may be disappointed!

Ian

I'm sure you'll sell it soon anyway 

-- hide signature --

Neil.

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to sassenach74, 5 months ago

I wonder if the lens compensation app will help with those corners and curvature. I think it will. I have done profiles for a few lenses and it seemed to sharpen them up in the corners nicely and correct straight distortion quite well.

Anyone tried that yet? Are we waiting for Lightroom to put out a profle in their latest version to correct this lens and that should satisfy most. I think the lens was designed with this in mind or was it supposed to be in camera correction? In which case that is not working as well as it could.

Greg.

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,165Gear list
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Well said. I can say that the Canon 24-70 2.8 probably outperforms it -  but at 2x the price.

This 24-70 should be compared to the Canon 24-70 f/4 and at that, I personally like it better.

This being said, I'm normally not a zoom guy and this one is no exception. When I already have fairly lightweight primes that beat it, I end up leaving the zoom at home. Not a zoom guy.

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,700Gear list
Like?

So if you expect tack sharp images accross the frame at  large apertures then you may be disappointed!

Ian

It's it's the same story for the SEL1670Z yet there are no zooms in these ranges by other manufacturers that outperform. I don't get it. Zoom lenses are a compromise not intended to match prime performance yet these actually are quite good substitutes.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,824
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Why do you care if you say you sold your A7 and A7r?

hip2
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 5 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Ian,

I don't think the refrain that primes are always sharper than zooms is always true. Two notable examples : the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is sharper than Nikon's own primes within its zoom range and Fuji's 18-55/2.8-4 out-resolves their own 18mm prime. They are a minority of course, but they're there.

I'm strongly considering an A7r but am waiting for a readily available and convincing 21-24mm prime that is small light and sharp from corner to corner. I would prefer a small prime, but waited for the Zeiss zoom lens in the hope that that it would be a native wide angle that goes as wide as 24mm and that it would offer superlative performance. As it is, most reviewers of the FE24-70 say that it's very good indeed between 28-60, but that's not quite what I'm after.

Personally I think that these small FF cameras hit the sweet spot for travel and landscape photography and that Sony should have a offered a wider than 35mm prime lens at launch or at least very early in the road map.

If one doesn't emerge fairly soon, or it isn't stellar on the finicky sensor, then the Fuji X system with its excellent 14/2.8 might be the solution, but ATM high res FF still appeals.......

Rod

did you check out the samyang lenses ? they can be very surprising.

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

hip2's gear list:hip2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,165Gear list
Like?

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Ian,

I don't think the refrain that primes are always sharper than zooms is always true. Two notable examples : the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is sharper than Nikon's own primes within its zoom range and Fuji's 18-55/2.8-4 out-resolves their own 18mm prime. They are a minority of course, but they're there.

I'm strongly considering an A7r but am waiting for a readily available and convincing 21-24mm prime that is small light and sharp from corner to corner. I would prefer a small prime, but waited for the Zeiss zoom lens in the hope that that it would be a native wide angle that goes as wide as 24mm and that it would offer superlative performance. As it is, most reviewers of the FE24-70 say that it's very good indeed between 28-60, but that's not quite what I'm after.

I hear ya - that's where I'm at. Rumor has it that one of the next two lenses in the plan of record will be a wide zoom. Presumably a 16-35 type deal.

My sentiments exactly.

skookum8
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

If you sold your A7/r, how would you know?

David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Ian

I don't think anyone in their right mind really "expects tack sharp across the frame at large aperture" ....... I mean how can you? A typical scene rarely yield a flat plane to line up with the sensor and at something like f4 and centre focus, it would be unreasonable to also be upset when edges and corners dont carry the same sharpness. Simply physics no?

As for perfect lenses, I don't believe I have had the pleasure of coming across such an animal yet in my years of shooting and I have had the good fortune to own some fine lenses and still do.

I have found that I have had the greatest enjoyment when I temper my own unrealistic expectation surrounding my gear as well as around my own abilities.

Sincerely

David

spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Ian,

Rod

Not sure what you point is. The Sony Zeiss E 16-70mm is sharper than the Fuji 18-55mm according to the new ephotozine review, has the same size and significantly longer and wider range.

The 16-70mm is one of the most attractive standard zooms on the market.

I would be pretty surprised if the new Sony Zeiss FE 24-70mm would be anything less than that on FF.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,807Gear list
Like?
And after that ....
In reply to miro3, 5 months ago

miro3 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

The poor Nikon DF had a try out and that was returned as well. Didn't last as long as the Sony though.

Danny.

ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,868
Like?

miro3 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

I don't think you still have to own the camera to make a valid contribution ?

Ian

miro3
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

miro3 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

I don't think you still have to own the camera to make a valid contribution ?

Ian

And what contribution is that?

A contribution based on generalities?

Nobody cares about such a "contribution."

miro3
Like?
In reply to skookum8, 5 months ago

skookum8 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

If you sold your A7/r, how would you know?

Exactly.

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,753Gear list
Like?

Ian asked a valid question. This zoom has been criticised elsewhere for smeared edges even at less than maximum aperture. Final judgements cannot be made until it is certain what difference optimum distortion correction makes .

Lenses at such prices are bound to get harsher criticism than budget versions.

spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 5 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

Ian asked a valid question. This zoom has been criticised elsewhere for smeared edges even at less than maximum aperture. Final judgements cannot be made until it is certain what difference optimum distortion correction makes .

Lenses at such prices are bound to get harsher criticism than budget versions.

It is an unnecessary question. There are so many faulty E 16-70mm reviews out there. As soon as the quantitive tests are ticking in the performance is impressive. Unlike you (apparently from your numerous skeptical posts), I am more skeptical with many people on the net attempting to make their own sharpness tests. In 90+% of the case people are making the tests in a manner where the imperfect is more likely to their way of handling the lens then the lens itself.

Wait for the quantitative tests. I have not seen a Sony Zeiss lens not draw an image beautifully with pleasing Bokeh.

WoodWorks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,324
Like?
In reply to David28, 5 months ago

David28 wrote:

I have found that I have had the greatest enjoyment when I temper my own unrealistic expectation surrounding my gear as well as around my own abilities.

Words to live by!

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads