Full Size Image Champaign Splash! D800E + 58mm. What do you think?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
bmcdad
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Full Size Image Champaign Splash! D800E + 58mm. What do you think?
10 months ago
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145Gear list
Like?
Looks great (full size) nt.
In reply to bmcdad, 10 months ago
 lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
low3llSD
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Size Image Champaign Splash! D800E + 58mm. What do you think?

i thought the 58G wasnt capable of making great images?!

low3llSD's gear list:low3llSD's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +3 more
JJ168
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
In reply to low3llSD, 10 months ago

Or sharp image...

JJ168's gear list:JJ168's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Very nice.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Araucaria
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
In reply to Bajerunner, 10 months ago

It's full of oilspots and I can see you used left AF on the bottom of the glass hence the soft image. You can also see the amp glow destroying tonality.

Great image btw!

Wahrsager
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?

I think it's a nice start.

I wish the berry-color was more rich, prominently lit.  (The beautiful red color gets lost in shadow).

I wish there wasn't what appears to be evidence of a previous splash.

I think compositionally, it'd be better if the splash where higher.  (Drop the berry from a greater height perhaps).  It's more of a "kerplunk" not an energetic "splash!"

I wish the seam between the horizontal and vertical surface was perfect.  It's slightly uneven, almost looks like a welding bead.

I wish the hotspot on the back surface had a more gradual transition.

I think it'd be nice to have some level of rim-lighting to make the glass pop more from the muddy backdrop.

I wish overall, it was higher-key and slightly more vibrant.

I hope you find my observations valuable.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +14 more
bmcdad
Like?
In reply to Wahrsager, 10 months ago

Wahrsager wrote:

I wish the berry-color was more rich, prominently lit. (The beautiful red color gets lost in shadow).

I think compositionally, it'd be better if the splash where higher. (Drop the berry from a greater height perhaps). It's more of a "kerplunk" not an energetic "splash!"

I wish the seam between the horizontal and vertical surface was perfect. It's slightly uneven, almost looks like a welding bead.

I think it'd be nice to have some level of rim-lighting to make the glass pop more from the muddy backdrop.

Thank you so much for your valuable feed back... I'll reshoot while taking some of your point into inconsideration.

Thanks again!

jaypike
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?

Awesome! And inspiring!  I'd love to know more specifics of how you set this up.  It looks simple enough.

Personally, I like the low-key nature of this specific image, but, I can see the previous posters points but only if you would want to offer a range of different versions of the same concept.

Commercially, this has value, but, most clients want a whole spread of the same concept so they can make their choice.

For instance, this would would make a perfect split page spread for something with a title like "make a splash"... and yes, shooting dead center in the image is most desirable so the client can choose which orientation they want to use the image in based on ad purchases.

Nicely done... a great stock photo shot here!

-- hide signature --
 jaypike's gear list:jaypike's gear list
Nikon D4s
bmcdad
Like?
In reply to jaypike, 10 months ago

Hi there and thank you of the feedback. I hope the image here can help demonstrate a little bit from the setup. This was a two light setup one light (Einstein) for the backdrop with a 7" reflector and another light with a reflector as well straight overhead to highlight drops and glass rim.

I will repeat this effort tomorrow and add another light with a snoot to light the front of the glass to light the front + berry like suggested. Can't add braod lighting in the front to not lose the splash but I will try to light the center of the glass only.

jaypike wrote:

Awesome! And inspiring! I'd love to know more specifics of how you set this up. It looks simple enough.

Personally, I like the low-key nature of this specific image, but, I can see the previous posters points but only if you would want to offer a range of different versions of the same concept.

Commercially, this has value, but, most clients want a whole spread of the same concept so they can make their choice.

For instance, this would would make a perfect split page spread for something with a title like "make a splash"... and yes, shooting dead center in the image is most desirable so the client can choose which orientation they want to use the image in based on ad purchases.

Nicely done... a great stock photo shot here!

-- hide signature --
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,291Gear list
Like?
I think it looks very good ..

.. exceptionally good!

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 915Gear list
Like?

Wahrsager wrote:

I wish the berry-color was more rich, prominently lit. (The beautiful red color gets lost in shadow).

I think compositionally, it'd be better if the splash where higher. (Drop the berry from a greater height perhaps). It's more of a "kerplunk" not an energetic "splash!"

I wish the seam between the horizontal and vertical surface was perfect. It's slightly uneven, almost looks like a welding bead.

Sometimes it is better to leave what you think as thoughts than actually writing them down.

personally, I think it is an excellent shot and it inspires me to try and emulate it.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Wahrsager
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
In reply to WIMorrison, 10 months ago

WIMorrison wrote:

Wahrsager wrote:

Sometimes it is better to leave what you think as thoughts than actually writing them down.

personally, I think it is an excellent shot and it inspires me to try and emulate it.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

Thank you for your observation.  In my profession, I must deal daily with what may seem as harsh criticism.  I believe my honest and unedited observations will benefit the original poster optimally rather than coddling him/ her.  I apologize for any offense I have caused you.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +14 more
frenchy01
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?

Bill, it looks very nice. I like the setup, the lighting and the sharpness...but two things bother me:

1) the colour of the "champaign": it is too orange, more cognac than champaign...

2) where are the bubbles?

...which makes me think you did not use real champaign but coloured water? (or the bubbles disappeared after 20 trials?) I would also make my trials with another liquid and only use champaign on the final shot...;-)

Frenchie

bmcdad
Like?
In reply to frenchy01, 10 months ago

frenchy01 wrote:

Bill, it looks very nice. I like the setup, the lighting and the sharpness...but two things bother me:

1) the colour of the "champaign": it is too orange, more cognac than champaign...

2) where are the bubbles?

...which makes me think you did not use real champaign but coloured water? (or the bubbles disappeared after 20 trials?) I would also make my trials with another liquid and only use champaign on the final shot...;-)

Frenchie

Frenchy! this was not Champaign you are right... Canada dry

bmcdad
Like?

Another try with brighter front.

12535237355_a59897d2b7_o.jpg

Wahrsager wrote:

WIMorrison wrote:

Wahrsager wrote:

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

Thank you for your observation. In my profession, I must deal daily with what may seem as harsh criticism. I believe my honest and unedited observations will benefit the original poster optimally rather than coddling him/ her. I apologize for any offense I have caused you.

axcentphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?

Very nice. I did a similar shot in a Martini glass and drolled a Key Lime into Bombay Gin. It me over 120 shots to get it right! Have a look   http://axcentphoto.com/commercial   Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
bmcdad
Like?
In reply to axcentphoto, 10 months ago

axcentphoto wrote:

Very nice. I did a similar shot in a Martini glass and drolled a Key Lime into Bombay Gin. It me over 120 shots to get it right! Have a look http://axcentphoto.com/commercial Brent

Very Nice!

AlephNull
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the correct spelling is "champagne"

Unless it's meant as a joke for "champagne campaign"?

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D810
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads