user opinions on 7D vs 70D for birds and wildlife

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
PK62
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
user opinions on 7D vs 70D for birds and wildlife
5 months ago

I have a 7D and have had it for a couple of years.  I shoot mostly wildlife and birds.  Here's my question...I've read reviews of both and comparisons, but I want real life opinions from the people on here.   I also just got the new Tamron 150-600mm lens.  I've been using the Canon 100-400mm lens.   Here's my question...when I look at photos online from people using both cameras with the new Tamron lens, the 70d shots always just look better to me.  Is it me or is the IQ better than the 7D?  I never shoot video so that's not a consideration.  I know I don't have $2000-3000 to pay for the 7D II if it ever comes out and not sure I want it anyway.    Can anyone give me their opinions?   I'd just like your take on it.  Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Patti

PK62's gear list:PK62's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +3 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Re: user opinions on 7D vs 70D for birds and wildlife
In reply to PK62, 5 months ago

The IQ is better but I am not sure I would want to give up the buffer, joystick and spot focus on my 7D. I actually prefer my 7D to my husband's 5D3 due to the faster buffer when shooting sports and wildlife. I can switch subjects and keep shooting with no busy signal.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,761
Like?

PK62 wrote:

Is it me or is the IQ better than the 7D? I never shoot video so that's not a consideration. I know I don't have $2000-3000 to pay for the 7D II if it ever comes out and not sure I want it anyway. Can anyone give me their opinions? I'd just like your take on it.

It's you, but it's not just you, you can include me in. Most people that have switched from the 7D to the 70D have mentioned the improved IQ.

There are always argumentative people that will use numbers ie DxO, their great grand uncle, or whatever website...

Technique, such as how to "properly" hold the camera are a 1000 times more important than any comparison numbers.

Numbers do not make images!

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
Street Photography: The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,455Gear list
Like?

For your use I would stick with your 7D.

You're not going to gain enough image quality with the 70D to justify the cost of switching.

Not to mention as already posted there are other trade offs too.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248
Like?
In reply to elfroggio, 5 months ago

I have had a 7D for a few years and have been playing with a borrowed 70D for a bit. In almost every way the 7D is better but the 70D does have a slight edge on IQ plus the AF when used on the 100-400 is slightly more consistent in some situations but only some. With my 70-200 AF is brilliant on both. There are so many things about the 7D that make it that bit better for my type of photography that I would not switch. Like many of us, you probably just have that itch for something new.

For anyone that doubts the capabilities of the 7D then this thread says it all - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3615609

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

PK62
Like?
In reply to phill104, 5 months ago

Thanks, this is the kind of info. I needed.  I'm sure you're right about wanting something new.  I just got the Tamron lens so I'll learn to get the most out of that before I change cameras.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +3 more
PK62
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 5 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

For your use I would stick with your 7D.

You're not going to gain enough image quality with the 70D to justify the cost of switching.

Not to mention as already posted there are other trade offs too.

Thanks, it sounds like I should stick with my 7D.

-- hide signature --

Patti

bugbait
Contributing MemberPosts: 942Gear list
Like?

PK62 wrote:

I have a 7D and have had it for a couple of years. I shoot mostly wildlife and birds. Here's my question...I've read reviews of both and comparisons, but I want real life opinions from the people on here. I also just got the new Tamron 150-600mm lens. I've been using the Canon 100-400mm lens. Here's my question...when I look at photos online from people using both cameras with the new Tamron lens, the 70d shots always just look better to me. Is it me or is the IQ better than the 7D? I never shoot video so that's not a consideration. I know I don't have $2000-3000 to pay for the 7D II if it ever comes out and not sure I want it anyway. Can anyone give me their opinions? I'd just like your take on it. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Hi Patti,

Your gallery demonstraits to me, excellent images of common subjects, special little moments.

I do not have the 7D or 70D yet.It would be only a 3 or 4 hundred dollar upgrade after selling your 7D. You might find yourself doing more macro photography, (flip screen a massive asset in that) or short videos of your birds and splice them together, options the 70D would excel at, and there is the cleaner shadow recover. Whether you would miss the few features the 7D has over the 70D is very much a matter of your usage. If you are white water rafting or trekking across Antarctica than than the tougher build of the 7D is the only choice. But simply the feel of the 7D may be your preference, just not for image quality with newer glass in particular. At the same time there is nothing wrong with a 7D owner milking maximum life and use out of what you have already invested.

I would recommend holding onto the 7D while renting the 70D and trying them both with static subjects (stuffed teddy bear etc is good) in your most common type of lighting, as well as moving subjects as a separate but difficult to compare unless you go to the zoo perhaps; your Canon 100-400L and your Tamron 150-600mm. And do it soon so you get maximum use THIS summer with the best gear you can afford. Lensrentals carries the 70D.  For me in the Pacific Northwest that would only cost $88 for a five day rental including damage waiver and round trip FedEx shipping.

I will be eagerly listening to feedback from people your self that have used the Canon 100-400L and the new 150-600 Tamron. PLEASE feel free to PM personal Message me "bugbait" when you post some impressions of how the 100-400L performs in comparison to the 150-600 Tamron.

By the way here is a fairly exhaustive comparison review by Dustin Abbott.

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
robbert100
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?

Hi Patti,

I don't know how many RAW files a 7D can shoot before it hits the buffer but I noticed that my 70D is able to shoot 18 RAW files before the buffer is filled up, my 5DmkIII hits the buffer at 12 RAW files

Best regards,
Rob
www.namaqualand.wordpress.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M
PK62
Like?
In reply to bugbait, 5 months ago

Thanks, this also gives me a lot to think about.  I do also admit that the 7D has always been large for my hands.  Soon maybe I'll go to a camera shop and hold a 70D and see how it feels and also how the controls feel to me.

-- hide signature --

Patti

rodor
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
In reply to robbert100, 5 months ago

robbert100 wrote:

Hi Patti,

I don't know how many RAW files a 7D can shoot before it hits the buffer but I noticed that my 70D is able to shoot 18 RAW files before the buffer is filled up, my 5DmkIII hits the buffer at 12 RAW files

Best regards,
Rob
www.namaqualand.wordpress.com

25 RAW files on 7D and 18 RAW files on 5D3.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,309Gear list
Like?
Some BIF samples from the 70D + 400 f5.6 + 1.4x TC

PK62 wrote:

Is it me or is the IQ better than the 7D?

You are not dreaming.  The more I shoot with the 70D and the more subjects I continue to photograph, the clearer it becomes that the IQ from the new sensor is a definite step up from Canon's long-standing 18 MP sensor.

I can now claim a full 1-stop increase in IQ.

This is meaningful, and it gives me a lot more options out in the field (or anywhere else for that matter).

For instance, I finally got the chance to shoot some eagles fishing this winter and was able to freely shoot at ISO 800.  Previously my starting point was ISO 400 with my T4i (virtually the same IQ as the 7D).

That meant I could put a 1.4x non-reporting Tamron TC on my 400 f/5.6L (for 560mm) and keep my shutter speed at 1/2500 sec (the magic number for those who do BIFs).  As a side note: the AF with the TC on the 70D was impressive.  Here are a couple of samples (click "Original" for best viewing)...

This combo on the 70D was quick to lock on (was a complete non-starter on some other bodies), and tracking was perfect as long as you held the AF point on the target.

AF wasn't bothered much by busy backgrounds or water (which can be tricky).

ISO 800, zero noise reduction.  They print at SuperB wonderfully.  This is just a small sampling.

I post a 100% crop for evaluation.  There is some PF that I didn't remove, and I lose some resolution with the "cheapo Tamron" TC, but overall I was pretty pleased with the results.  Also note the very fine-grained noise in the skies...

Most of the time though I shot with the straight 400 (birds were close enough), and results were outstanding (I haven't posted any to the Web yet).  I get 20 RAW frames in 3 seconds (before slowdown to 2 FPS) with both the SanDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro SD cards.  Buffer clears in a bit less than 9 seconds.

AF with the straight 400 was lightning fast and very decisive.  You should have great luck with your Teles.  This is a very enjoyable camera to shoot.

Hope this helps some.  Just holler if you have any more questions.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
PK62
Like?
Re: Some BIF samples from the 70D + 400 f5.6 + 1.4x TC
In reply to R2D2, 5 months ago

Wow, those are beautiful shots!  I have camera envy for sure.  I'm really going to have to think about this.  But, it also could just be that you're a much better photographer than me too, which is a very likely possibility   

-- hide signature --

Patti

PK62
Like?

OK, another question.  I'm reading that the Tamron lens isn't working well in AI Servo on the 7D, is that another reason to switch to the 70D?  I've been using it and it seems to work, but then I haven't used it to track a lot of birds, but it seems to focus OK.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,649Gear list
Like?
Your user opinion?

As you now have the EOS 7D + the Tamron 150-600mm VC, please provide us with some real life shots. This would be agreat help for EOS 7D owners toying with the idea of getting this new Tamron supertele, like me.

I read in another thread in the DxO markings for the Tamron 150-600mm VC that its performance is not so good on the EOS 7D than on the 70D and particuarly not as good as on a full frame camera like the 5D. That would confirm what you say.

Now we are looking forward to see your pictures of birdies, etc. ...

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248
Like?

PK62 wrote:

OK, another question. I'm reading that the Tamron lens isn't working well in AI Servo on the 7D, is that another reason to switch to the 70D? I've been using it and it seems to work, but then I haven't used it to track a lot of birds, but it seems to focus OK.

-- hide signature --

Patti

You are just looking for an excuse to get a new toy lol.

Every review I have seen of the Tamron/7D combo seems very positive about the AF. The 70D has the same AF sensor but obviously a different circuit behind it. It lacks one feature of the 7D but gains in other ways plus it has that nifty new dual pixel AF.

You know you are going to buy it so stop posting and pop down to your nearest dealer with a hand full of Wonga.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.

PK62
Like?
In reply to phill104, 5 months ago

phill104 wrote:

PK62 wrote:

OK, another question. I'm reading that the Tamron lens isn't working well in AI Servo on the 7D, is that another reason to switch to the 70D? I've been using it and it seems to work, but then I haven't used it to track a lot of birds, but it seems to focus OK.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Every review I have seen of the Tamron/7D combo seems very positive about the AF. The 70D has the same AF sensor but obviously a different circuit behind it. It lacks one feature of the 7D but gains in other ways plus it has that nifty new dual pixel AF.

You know you are going to buy it so stop posting and pop down to your nearest dealer with a hand full of Wonga.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.

You might have a point,   but really I've been reading that the tracking doesn't work well on the 7D, but I've got to try mine out more.  If anyone has it and can post shots that would be great.  It won't stop snowing long enough here to go out.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Christoph Stephan
Like?
Control lay out
In reply to bugbait, 5 months ago

bugbait wrote:

Hi Patti,

Your gallery demonstraits to me, excellent images of common subjects, special little moments.

I do not have the 7D or 70D yet.It would be only a 3 or 4 hundred dollar upgrade after selling your 7D. You might find yourself doing more macro photography, (flip screen a massive asset in that) or short videos of your birds and splice them together, options the 70D would excel at, and there is the cleaner shadow recover. Whether you would miss the few features the 7D has over the 70D is very much a matter of your usage. If you are white water rafting or trekking across Antarctica than than the tougher build of the 7D is the only choice. But simply the feel of the 7D may be your preference, just not for image quality with newer glass in particular. At the same time there is nothing wrong with a 7D owner milking maximum life and use out of what you have already invested.

Another important question is whther the OP wants to retain his 7D as a second camera or whether he would sell it.

If the former is the case, I think he better waits for the 7D MkII (if he wants something new) because otherwise he would have two cameras with completely differnt operation and might find himself pressing the wrong buttons all the time.

This happens to me all the time when I swap my EOS 20D and 40D - they are similar, but ISO and drive have been swapped.

Thus I find myself setting the self timer all the time, when I want to change ISO....

For this reason I now bought an used 7D instead of a 70D - not only was it considerably cheaper, but does have the same controls as my 40D and similar ones to my 20D, which I will continue to use (one of them will be converted to Infrared).

However, if the OP plans to sell his 7D and replace it with the 70D, this issue will be there only for a short initial time....

Otherwise, it makes sense to pair 50Ds (and lower) with the 7Ds and 5Ds and to pair 70Ds with 6Ds - to have a similar control lay-out all across the whole fleet...

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Christoph Stephan
Like?

PK62 wrote:

phill104 wrote:

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.

You might have a point, but really I've been reading that the tracking doesn't work well on the 7D, but I've got to try mine out more. If anyone has it and can post shots that would be great. It won't stop snowing long enough here to go out.

-- hide signature --

Patti

On the other hand I got a 7D cheaply used and eyeing the Tamron, but if I plunge into this signficant expense, I definitely do not want to shell out for a new camera.

Therefore your user experience with the Tamron 150-600mm VC - 7D combo would be of greatest value.

Come on, this snowy weather is an excellent opportunity to get a bird feeder and place it on your garden or balcony, this way you can "shoot" from the comfort of your home.

-- hide signature --
PK62
Like?
In reply to Christoph Stephan, 5 months ago

Christoph Stephan wrote:

PK62 wrote:

phill104 wrote:

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.

You might have a point, but really I've been reading that the tracking doesn't work well on the 7D, but I've got to try mine out more. If anyone has it and can post shots that would be great. It won't stop snowing long enough here to go out.

-- hide signature --

Patti

On the other hand I got a 7D cheaply used and eyeing the Tamron, but if I plunge into this signficant expense, I definitely do not want to shell out for a new camera.

Therefore your user experience with the Tamron 150-600mm VC - 7D combo would be of greatest value.

Come on, this snowy weather is excellent to get a bird feeder and place it on yourt garden or balcony, this way you can "shoot" from the comfort of your home.

-- hide signature --

These are my very first shots with the new Tamron using my 7D.  I know they're not great, but here they are.  I'm pleased considering it's so different for me to handle compared with my 100-400.  It's a little more difficult to use with small hands, but these are all using a monopod.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads