Is it just me?.....

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
KC_photography
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Is it just me?.....
7 months ago

This isn't a baiting question by any means.....just curious to see if my research is right and what other people think...

But seems like if you want a good performance in BOTH stills and video that there is nothing yet that can beat the LX7?

Just surprised/curious as its a 2 year old camera now and whilst there are plenty of newer cameras that have appeared since from other brands as well as Panasonic, that do have better stills quality, none seem to have the stills and video nailed the way the LX7 does...

And its a camera that as far as I know is now officially discontinued

Have looked at all the offerings from Olympus, Fuji, Sony etc and just wondering if I'm missing something or if I should indeed purchase a 2 year old camera to get what I'm after?!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,678Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it just me?.....
In reply to KC_photography, 7 months ago

KC_photography wrote:

This isn't a baiting question by any means.....just curious to see if my research is right and what other people think...

But seems like if you want a good performance in BOTH stills and video that there is nothing yet that can beat the LX7?

Just surprised/curious as its a 2 year old camera now and whilst there are plenty of newer cameras that have appeared since from other brands as well as Panasonic, that do have better stills quality, none seem to have the stills and video nailed the way the LX7 does...

Have looked at all the offerings from Olympus, Fuji, Sony etc and just wondering if I'm missing something or if I should indeed purchase a 2 year old camera to get what I'm after?!

For both stills AND video, you're best to look at Panasonic and Sony.  These two have historically offered the best video, with all others lagging somewhat behind.

That being said, the LX7 is one of the best choices today.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,026Gear list
Like?

This will always be a subjective issue, since everyone has their preferences on how a camera should look and handle in addition to the technical reviews and assessment of image quality at various ISOs, Apertures and Focal lengths. As a very happy LX5 owner, it took sometime and a considerable price drop before I upgraded to the LX7.  The only other camera that tempted was the Fuji 100/200 and even the NEX 3N.  The drop in LX7 price to under £300 in the UK clinched it.

The LX7 is better in every way, with one exception. Some mis-guided designer/implementor thought it would be OK to make the Self Timer and AEB mutually exclusive. It wasn't and isn't. To perfect the LX7, the LX9 would correct this mis-judgement; add an articulated screen, an EVF (maybe) and the now obligatory Wifi/NFC.

Not seen anything, so far, to oust the LX7.  Aperture apart, it will be very interesting to see in depth review of the TZ60/ZS40. I sent the LF1 back.  A combo of the LX7 and the TZ60 could be formidable.

There are a few quite compact mirrorless ILCs that clearly have a sensor advantage, unfortunately their compact kit lenses negate the ISO advantage. To get LX7 quality optics, one would have to spend £500 plus on lens in addition to the body cost. A total of circa £1,000 and it would not be pocket friendly.

In summary, correct, IMO, no-one's bettered the LX7 yet

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
KC_photography
Like?
In reply to kkardster, 7 months ago

Have looked at the Sony offerings in that price bracket and obviously with the large sensor the image quality is great but there is very little manual control or features on the video side...

Don't have any favouritism towards any of the brands, just want the best all rounder in the £300 bracket and strangely it seems to be a 2 year old, discontinued camera!

Just wondering if I've missed something?!!

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,678Gear list
Like?

KC_photography wrote:

Have looked at the Sony offerings in that price bracket and obviously with the large sensor the image quality is great but there is very little manual control or features on the video side...

Don't have any favouritism towards any of the brands, just want the best all rounder in the £300 bracket and strangely it seems to be a 2 year old, discontinued camera!

Just wondering if I've missed something?!!

Yeah, unfortunately though Sony's know for their video quality, they're also know for leaving out a lot of features compared to their competition.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,678Gear list
Like?
Sony RX10

KC_photography wrote:

I know it's not in the price range you want, but the Sony RX10 appears, from all that I've read, to be the heir-apparent to the throne of best fixed lens camera for both stills and video.

$1299 USD. Not cheap. Wonderful camera. Despite its size, I'm looking to move my LX7 to backup status with a purchase of the RX10.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
KC_photography
Like?
Re: Sony RX10
In reply to James Pilcher, 7 months ago

To me thats starting to approach DSLR money territory

I have a D800 with plenty of decent glass...

Want the LX7 or an alternative to have in my bag/pocket for when I don't want the hassle of the D800.....but something with manual controls

Really like the look of the Olympus XZ-2 and XZ-10 but they seem to be very basic on the video side....

KC_photography
Like?
Re: Sony RX10

Do any of Panasonics own replacement models take the the LX7 crown?

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,678Gear list
Like?
Lumix GM1

KC_photography wrote:

Do any of Panasonics own replacement models take the the LX7 crown?

Small-sensor cameras? Nope. But look closely at the GM1 µ4/3 camera.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
KC_photography
Like?
Re: Lumix GM1
In reply to James Pilcher, 7 months ago

Thanks

GM1 is a good suggestion but will be over double the price one I get a decent lens for it....

Also the video mode still isn't quite as good at the LX7 from what I can see...

KC_photography
Like?

Think I may have found a contender...?

Fuji X20...

Thoughts?

Does anyone know if it has manual focus during filming?

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?

Lets see... Do other cameras offer 100fps, manual controls during shooting, focus control during shooting. A fixed aperture lens at F/2.4? The video side of the LX7 is its least talked about and most underrated strength in its artillery. If it had a focus ring it would be complete... Unfortunately you just can't do proper pull focusing with such a slow focus motor.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,703Gear list
Like?

I do not own the LX7 but see the advantages of owning it. I am a little surprised that a larger sensored offering isn't ruling opinion here though. I bat on about small sensors being ace in my preference to cast a wide DOF over a wide zoom range, but were I interested in less to long zoom, I'd probably look for the larger sensor. Does your statement/search take in larger sensor cameras at all?

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
KC_photography
Like?
In reply to John Miles, 7 months ago

What I'm looking for is....

• Range of £300
  • Manual control for stills
  • Manual control for video
  • High speed shooting for video to create slow motion

Just find it hard to believe that nothing seems to beat a 2 year old camera so far?!

The Fuji X20 looked like a strong contender, probably has the edge on the image quality on the stills side but according to the reviews the video mode feels slightly tacked on, not much control and average quality

I get the impression digging around that Panasonic have dropped the LX series as they weren't profitable enough, looks like they shoved too many good features into the one camera!

John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,703Gear list
Like?

KC_photography wrote:

What I'm looking for is....

• Range of £300
  • Manual control for stills
  • Manual control for video
  • High speed shooting for video to create slow motion

Just find it hard to believe that nothing seems to beat a 2 year old camera so far?!

The Fuji X20 looked like a strong contender, probably has the edge on the image quality on the stills side but according to the reviews the video mode feels slightly tacked on, not much control and average quality

I get the impression digging around that Panasonic have dropped the LX series as they weren't profitable enough, looks like they shoved too many good features into the one camera!

Excellence spells doom for Panasonic small sensor camera ranges. Something about being so good no-one buys them. He says - sarcastically.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
KC_photography
Like?

Bought the LX7...

Amazing camera!

Realise it was well received when released but really do feel that this is still very underrated

Think it will be recognised as a classic in years to come

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads