Sony A6000 vs G1X 2 Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Incomplete list.
In reply to howardroark, 5 months ago

A list comparing both cameras from a post on the Sony forum.

Sony A6000 vs Canon G1X2:
- 1.5 vs 1.92 crop factor +1 Sony
- EVF vs optional (NO) VF +1 Sony
- 24 Mpx vs 12.8 Mpx +1 Sony
- max ISO 25600 vs 12800 +1 Sony
- worlds best? OSPDAF vs CDAF +1 Sony
- changeable vs fixed lens +1 Sony
- Better grip, ergonomica vs.. +1 Sony
- 650/800 $ vs 799$ +1 Sony
- 11fps AF vs 5 fps +1 Sony
- 420 vs 240 shots/ battery +1 Sony
- in camera HDR, bracketing, Apps, HHT, Panorama, etc... + Sony
- already have SEL lenses +1 Sony

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
mcslsk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019Gear list
Re: Incomplete list.
In reply to Photato, 5 months ago

Photato wrote:

Crop factor? G1X lens is 24mm equiv. The sensor is smaler, yes, but the output is better.

EVF optional? Yes, some want it, some don't. Rather put the cost in the sensor/lens combo and keep size down.

24/18? Yes, better IQ from G1X still

Ever used the 25600? Satisfied?

AF system: + for Sony, will need to see and wait how the new one is.

Changeable vs. fixed? What kind of argument is that? The fixed lens is a plus for those who want it and know from experience that attaching large lenses and akward adapters to a small camera body is nonsense.

Never droped the NEX6 nor the G1X - so grips are ok for me

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Excellent <dripping with sarcasm> list from the Sony troll.

Photato wrote:

Meh.

Meh.

Meh.

Meh.

Meh.

Meh.

???? Yeah...no.

And then some lenses so it can take pictures.  Zoom?  Fast?  Macro?  Tack on a few hundred extra here, pal.

Meh.

Meh.

Only tools like you care about the gimmicks, bracketing isn't hard to do, panoramas are easy without a mode to do it.....

Good for you.  Nobody cares.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Photato
Re: Most Surprising....
In reply to jimr, 5 months ago

jimr wrote:

When new interesting cameras first appear, they usually appear near the top of the top of The Most Popular list here on Dpreview.

The new Canon G does not appear on the list at all...let alone near the top.

An indication of little broad based interest....and very very surprising and perhaps a real sign of trouble in the marketplace....

Good observation.

Not surprised the Sony A6000 is on the number one spot.

boogieboogie
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Stupid thread

Alternatively why would anyone want to buy a camera that needs multiple bulky and expensive lenses to cover the same range and IQ as a camera with a single fixed lens.

Actually I can think of a bunch of reasons why I'd buy a G1X Mkii over an A6000 but I won't bore you with them. They are apples and oranges and choice is a wonderful thing.

particleman78
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Re: + EVF

You must be kidding or never used the Sony 16-50mm PZ.  I own an NEX and actually like the system when paired with some of the better e-mount lenses.  But the 16-50pz is arguably the worst lens I have ever used.  The only redeeming quality is its size and weight, it has horrible vignetting in the corners, and it isn't sharp.  The vignetting on that lens is so bad that even if you correct for the vignetting in software, you end up with significantly more noise in the corners.  The lens on the G1X mark 1 was much better than the 16-50pz, and the lens on the mark 2 is a stop faster that the one on the mark 1.

The Sony 16-50pz couldn't do the 16mp sensor justice, having 24mp with that lens is pointless.

Photato wrote:

Problem is, the Canon lens is not that impressive, telling by the Canon samples they released.

I'd put it at the same level as the A6000 16-50 kit in optical performance. Granted both have different range and apertures.

Photato
Sony kit lens.
In reply to particleman78, 5 months ago

particleman78 wrote:

You must be kidding or never used the Sony 16-50mm PZ. I own an NEX and actually like the system when paired with some of the better e-mount lenses. But the 16-50pz is arguably the worst lens I have ever used. The only redeeming quality is its size and weight, it has horrible vignetting in the corners, and it isn't sharp. The vignetting on that lens is so bad that even if you correct for the vignetting in software, you end up with significantly more noise in the corners. The lens on the G1X mark 1 was much better than the 16-50pz, and the lens on the mark 2 is a stop faster that the one on the mark 1.

The Sony 16-50pz couldn't do the 16mp sensor justice, having 24mp with that lens is pointless.

Photato wrote:

Problem is, the Canon lens is not that impressive, telling by the Canon samples they released.

I'd put it at the same level as the A6000 16-50 kit in optical performance. Granted both have different range and apertures.

Well, imaging resource thinks very differently than you, and have the data to prove it.

"Sony 16-50mm lens review: Finally a compact NEX kit lens that we can recommend"

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/06/11/sony-16-50mm-lens-review-finally-a-compact-nex-kit-lens-that-we-recommend

ijustloveshooting
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
Re: Stupid thread
In reply to boogieboogie, 5 months ago

boogieboogie wrote:

Alternatively why would anyone want to buy a camera that needs multiple bulky and expensive lenses to cover the same range and IQ as a camera with a single fixed lens.

Actually I can think of a bunch of reasons why I'd buy a G1X Mkii over an A6000 but I won't bore you with them. They are apples and oranges and choice is a wonderful thing.

I'd definitely want to buy a camera that needs multiple lenses (be sure they're not bulky, 35F1.8 is an excellent lens with compact size) for the following reasons,,,,

10mm

View: original size

shallow dof and sharpness of 35-50mm primes....also with great low light IQ, that machine becomes lowlight beast...

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
unknown member
(unknown member)
In reply to ijustloveshooting, 5 months ago

ijustloveshooting wrote:

boogieboogie wrote:

I'd definitely want to buy a camera that needs multiple lenses (be sure they're not bulky, 35F1.8 is an excellent lens with compact size) for the following reasons,,,,

10mm

Then we hope you enjoy discussing your Sony camera in the Sony forum.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,509Gear list
Photato

Photato wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Why do you still troll these forums?

uh? WTH?! lol

Your multiple negative posts on the new G1X-II require some moderator comment.

This is from the full forum rules, available at the top of each forum. I quote from rule #6:

"6- If you are repeatedly abusive you will be banned from these forums. Specific behavior that will not be tolerated and will result in post removal / banning includes:

-- hide signature --

Bashing: Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product, or company. If you have a complaint or comment to make, make it once and make sure you have facts to support it."

You have now had your product bashing complaint thread, and have become annoying to the other forum members.  If you continue to post negative comments about this product, your posts will either be deleted or you will be banned.  You have been warned.

--
kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
particleman78
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Re: Sony kit lens.

Here is the Photozone.de review of the 16-50pz

"The Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS broke a couple of records but unfortunately not in the positive sense. Its uncorrected distortion and vignetting figures are nothing short of insane. So Sony obviously doesn’t want the lens to be used without enabled aberration compensation."

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/842-sony1650f3556oss

There are a ton of people on the Sony forum that share my dislike of that lens.  At 16mm wide open, the corners are 5EV darker than the center!

Photato wrote:

particleman78 wrote:

You must be kidding or never used the Sony 16-50mm PZ. I own an NEX and actually like the system when paired with some of the better e-mount lenses. But the 16-50pz is arguably the worst lens I have ever used. The only redeeming quality is its size and weight, it has horrible vignetting in the corners, and it isn't sharp. The vignetting on that lens is so bad that even if you correct for the vignetting in software, you end up with significantly more noise in the corners. The lens on the G1X mark 1 was much better than the 16-50pz, and the lens on the mark 2 is a stop faster that the one on the mark 1.

Photato wrote:

Well, imaging resource thinks very differently than you, and have the data to prove it.

"Sony 16-50mm lens review: Finally a compact NEX kit lens that we can recommend"

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/06/11/sony-16-50mm-lens-review-finally-a-compact-nex-kit-lens-that-we-recommend

gianstam
Contributing MemberPosts: 751Gear list
Because of the HUGE difference in noise.

Photato wrote:

The A6000

Bigger sensor, more compact body, much faster AF in both still and video, double the resolution, longer battery life and much more features like panorama mode, 60fps video, etc. To top it off the price is better.

So why anyone would prefer the G1X2 ?

The G1X noise=0

a6000 noise=too much

and this is very-very important for some people (me included)

gianstam's gear list:gianstam's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-330 Pentax K20D
Photato
In reply to howardroark, 5 months ago

howardroark wrote:

ijustloveshooting wrote:

boogieboogie wrote:

10mm

Then we hope you enjoy discussing your Sony camera in the Sony forum.

Wow you are so rude. lol

Take a chill pill buddy !

Photato
Re: Photato
In reply to Dale Buhanan, 5 months ago

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Photato wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Why do you still troll these forums?

uh? WTH?! lol

Your multiple negative posts on the new G1X-II require some moderator comment.

This is from the full forum rules, available at the top of each forum. I quote from rule #6:

"6- If you are repeatedly abusive you will be banned from these forums. Specific behavior that will not be tolerated and will result in post removal / banning includes:

-- hide signature --

Bashing: Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product, or company. If you have a complaint or comment to make, make it once and make sure you have facts to support it."

You have now had your product bashing complaint thread, and have become annoying to the other forum members. If you continue to post negative comments about this product, your posts will either be deleted or you will be banned. You have been warned.

--
kind regards
Dale

What!? I am just stating and discussing facts.

If you read any of my post I am being civil and no calling names as other people have done. Call those first.

By the way my gear is all Canon.

ijustloveshooting
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
that's a joke, right?
In reply to gianstam, 5 months ago

gianstam wrote:

Photato wrote:

The A6000

Bigger sensor, more compact body, much faster AF in both still and video, double the resolution, longer battery life and much more features like panorama mode, 60fps video, etc. To top it off the price is better.

The G1X noise=0

a6000 noise=too much

in terms of noise, apsc sony sensor is light years ahead of canon g1x2 sensor....check recently posted g1x2 photos, and that cat photo,,,full of oversharpening artifacts and noise even at iso500...

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Photato
Re: Because of the HUGE difference in noise.
In reply to gianstam, 5 months ago

gianstam wrote:

Photato wrote:

The A6000

The G1X noise=0

a6000 noise=too much

Fact is:

DxO Labs

G1X=60

NEX7=81

*Bigger number is better performance.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads