Re: + EVF
In reply to Photato, 10 months ago

Photato wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

Plus rubbish menu system, plus nasty skin tones, plus poor zoom lenses, where do you want to go with this? My 5D2 has an optical viewfinder, 1/8000th shutter speed, much bigger sensor etc etc, see how that works?

The 5D2 is in a total different league man, cman lol.

But the A6000 seems like a reasonable alternative to the G1X for those seeking great IQ in a small package under $800.

Is not a coincidence that Sony announced it right after the G1X.

certainly is not 800 by the time you add on those "high quality primes" and other lenses you are saying you would get / need,etc.

But the flexibility is there. Not only in image quality but also in size.

Good luck in getting the same image quality with the 16-50mm or 18-55mm. The only advantage of the Sony is more dynamic range (most likely) and that isn't the be all and end all, I'll take a high quality lens and reasonable dynamic range every time. The dynamic range on the G1X is fine and I shoot landscapes. I had a 5n, great dynamic range, poor colour, poor menu system etc etc. Sony isn't for everyone.

With the G1X you are stuck with that lens.

*sigh* That's the point, it's specifically designed for the sensor, it's for people who don't want to change lenses but want the best IQ from such a camera, if they didn't they'd buy an interchangeable lens camera and accept the compromise that comes with that set-up.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill +4 more
Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
In reply to papillon_65, 10 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

Plus rubbish menu system, plus nasty skin tones, plus poor zoom lenses, where do you want to go with this? My 5D2 has an optical viewfinder, 1/8000th shutter speed, much bigger sensor etc etc, see how that works?

But the A6000 seems like a reasonable alternative to the G1X for those seeking great IQ in a small package under $800.

certainly is not 800 by the time you add on those "high quality primes" and other lenses you are saying you would get / need,etc.

Good luck in getting the same image quality with the 16-50mm or 18-55mm. The only advantage of the Sony is more dynamic range (most likely) and that isn't the be all and end all, I'll take a high quality lens and reasonable dynamic range every time. The dynamic range on the G1X is fine and I shoot landscapes. I had a 5n, great dynamic range, poor colour, poor menu system etc etc. Sony isn't for everyone.

The only advantage dynamic range?. WTH! lol

Somebody else made a more exhaustive list than I did and the A6000 is BY FAR a more complete package. Feature by Feature, Spec by Spec.

*sigh* That's the point, it's specifically designed for the sensor, it's for people who don't want to change lenses but want the best IQ from such a camera, if they didn't they'd buy an interchangeable lens camera and accept the compromise that comes with that set-up.

Problem is, the Canon lens is not that impressive, telling by the Canon samples they released.

I'd put it at the same level as the A6000 16-50 kit in optical performance. Granted both have different range and apertures.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357
Re: Sony A6000 vs G1X 2

Why do you still troll these forums?

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,027

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

Somebody else made a more exhaustive list than I did and the A6000 is BY FAR a more complete package. Feature by Feature, Spec by Spec.

Problem is, the Canon lens is not that impressive, telling by the Canon samples they released.

I'd put it at the same level as the A6000 16-50 kit in optical performance. Granted both have different range and apertures.

Look, you're obviously convinced the A6000 is the one for you. Fine. So what do you want to gain from this thread?  Validation of your personal choice?  Or are you just hoping to wind people up?

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357
In reply to meland, 10 months ago

Look at his recent posts, he's a troll.

Photato
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 10 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

uh? WTH?! lol

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
In reply to mcslsk, 10 months ago

mcslsk wrote:

Because of IQ.

You are joking right, the current sony nex 6 beats all canon powershots \apsc cameras in IQ by a long shot, it just doesn't outperforms the full frame cameras.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Photato
In reply to pew pew, 10 months ago

pew pew wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

Because of IQ.

You are joking right, the current sony nex 6 beats all canon powershots \apsc cameras in IQ by a long shot, it just doesn't outperforms the full frame cameras.

...and according to DxO:

G1X= 60

NEX7=81

(those two cameras use similar sensors to the cameras of this thread)

21 points of advantage for the older 24MP Sony, not too shabby.

Canon and Sony now are both claiming enhanced sensors, so that difference would be kept at best.

telefunk
Regular MemberPosts: 421
In reply to mcslsk, 10 months ago

Very interesting and I believe you. But of course things are different in this case 'cause now the A6000 has 24MP (I have the Nex7 and its light years from the Nex6). Personally I would expect the Canon lens to perform MUCH better than the Sony 1650. And maybe the Canons low pixel count won't create too much jagged edges.

So it will probably be a face of between a superior sensor vs a superior lens. I my 40 years experience good glass usually wins.

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,027
In reply to telefunk, 10 months ago

telefunk wrote:

Very interesting and I believe you. But of course things are different in this case 'cause now the A6000 has 24MP (I have the Nex7 and its light years from the Nex6). Personally I would expect the Canon lens to perform MUCH better than the Sony 1650. And maybe the Canons low pixel count won't create too much jagged edges.

So it will probably be a face of between a superior sensor vs a superior lens. I my 40 years experience good glass usually wins.

Of course.  Pass light through a crap lens onto a fantastic sensor and it will resolve crap fantastically.

Photato
In reply to telefunk, 10 months ago

telefunk wrote:

That is so true!

However there are many other key considerations that make the difference in photography, one of them being Autofocus.

For instance no matter how sharp is the lens if the pics are out of focus, and in this regard the Sony is much superior and for video the difference is even more dramatic since the G1X2 lacks phase detection AF.

Also, it seems that the Canon lens relies heavy in software lens correction, not a sacrilege but it tends to smear detail, and the full samples I've seen, seem to confirm it.

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
In reply to meland, 10 months ago

But to be honest, the G1X 2 is more a competitor to cameras like the rx10, rx100 with smaller sensors, fixed lens.

Theres a market for premium point and shoots, and in that context the canon is pretty good, I have one myself.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 19,712Gear list

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

Try doing it by image then we'll talk, comparing specs on paper doesn't tell the real story, it's actual images I'm interested in.

I can tell you for sure the G1X mk1 lens blows any Sony zoom away, the G1X mk2 only has to match that lens, we'll see.

Impossible to tell until we seen some proper anecdotal evidence and proper reviews.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill +4 more
telefunk

Indeed. And that's why I sold my Nex 3N. It never managed to focus on what I was aiming at (filling the frame ie a portrait).

Sony probably nailed focus on this one, as they did on my wife's RX100.

But Canon has my sympathy as being more of a photographers tool, made by photographers. The right buttons at the right place, practical menus etc....

The Canon would be all I need, as this lens range would fill all my requirements. Thus the Sony A6000, I would never change lenses either with the Zeiss 16-70.

telefunk

Nex 6 beats nothing. IQ-wise it is equal to all Sony Nex 16MP models. With kit lens pretty hopeless. Even my LX5 outperforms it (see my old thread for which I got lynched).

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,442Gear list

Photato wrote:

The A6000

Bigger sensor, more compact body, much faster AF in both still and video, double the resolution, longer battery life and much more features like panorama mode, 60fps video, etc. To top it off the price is better.

So why anyone would prefer the G1X2 ?

Because they don't want an interchangeable lens body and have little interest in video.

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 19,712Gear list

pew pew wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

Because of IQ.

With which zoom lens?

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

unknown member
(unknown member)
G1 X Mark II hands down.

Photato wrote:

The A6000

Bigger sensor, more compact body, much faster AF in both still and video, double the resolution, longer battery life and much more features like panorama mode, 60fps video, etc. To top it off the price is better.

So why anyone would prefer the G1X2 ?

No touch screen on the A6000.

G1 X Mark II body smaller than A6000.

Put a 5X 24-120 eq. f/2.0-3.9 on the A6000 and then how much does it cost?  Guess what, that doesn't exist so try a couple of lenses and then how much does it cost?

Much faster AF?  According to whom?

DOUBLE the resolution?????  Please math that for me.  Neither direction gets twice the number of pixels, you only get twice the total number.  If the lens could keep up then in order to double the resolution (detail, actual ability to resolve detail) then you'd have to quadruple the total number of pixels, doubling them in each direction.  And even then, that is only assuming that additional noise isn't destroying detail.

Nobody cares about panorama mode.

Why does anyone need 60fps video?  Because more is better?  Yep, that's what I thought.

Price is better?  Re-math that, buddy.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
unknown member
(unknown member)
Agreed. Major troll.

Photato wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

uh? WTH?! lol

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,256
Most Surprising....
In reply to papillon_65, 10 months ago

When new interesting cameras first appear, they usually appear near the top of the top of The Most Popular list here on Dpreview.

The  new Canon G does not appear on the list at all...let alone near the top.

An indication of little broad based interest....and very very surprising and perhaps a real sign of trouble in the marketplace....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads