Sony A6000 vs G1X 2 Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Sony A6000 vs G1X 2
5 months ago

The A6000

Bigger sensor, more compact body, much faster AF in both still and video, double the resolution, longer battery life and much more features like panorama mode, 60fps video, etc. To top it off the price is better.

So why anyone would prefer the G1X2 ?

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mcslsk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009Gear list
Re: Sony A6000 vs G1X 2
In reply to Photato, 5 months ago

Because of IQ.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188

Photato wrote:

The A6000

Bigger sensor, more compact body, much faster AF in both still and video, double the resolution, longer battery life and much more features like panorama mode, 60fps video, etc. To top it off the price is better.

Smaller and less expensive than A6000 + 16-70/4.

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,269Gear list

Photato wrote:

The A6000

Because they don't want to have to change lenses? Because there is no 24-120mm F2-3.9 lens in the Sony world? Because all of the Sony zooms are poor in comparison to the lens on the G1X (If it's as good as the Mk1)? Just a thought.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
SJP1978
New MemberPosts: 9

+1

Superb question, my new camera will be either G1x ii or the A6000, which is better? Looks like A6000 wins in most of the specs but will have to wait for reviews and IQ results.

peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list

Yes. In fact Canon lenses areĀ  very good and a camera is not just the sensor.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon ELPH 500 HS RX100 III Canon EOS M
Photato
In reply to mcslsk, 5 months ago

mcslsk wrote:

Because of IQ.

I doubt that.

To fit that lens, more likely there is a lot of detail smearing, lens software correction.

If the moment calls for IQ you are stuck with that 5X lens. With the Sony you can use high quality primes.

mcslsk

I have both, the G1X and the NEX6 with several lenses. G1X wins.

Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Photato
In reply to Steen Bay, 5 months ago

Steen Bay wrote:

Photato wrote:

The A6000

Smaller and less expensive than A6000 + 16-70/4.

Nope, the Sony is smaller.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#534,535

Also you can use affordable high quality primes on the Sony, paired with the 24mp and the Sony wins by a large margin.

mcslsk
In reply to SJP1978, 5 months ago

Only argument in favor of NEX is currently speed. Will se how that comes out with the MkII. NEX6 and kit zoom is not bad, but no match for G1X full open and in low light.

papillon_65

Photato wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

Because of IQ.

I doubt that.

To fit that lens, more likely there is a lot of detail smearing, lens software correction.

And that is based on what? You certainly don't get it on the G1X

If the moment calls for IQ you are stuck with that 5X lens. With the Sony you can use high quality primes.

Well that's handy then, so you need to buy the A6000, a load of high quality primes or 16-70mm F4 ( which costs more than a G1X on it's own ). If you want an interchangeable lens camera then buy one, if you want a camera with very high IQ, excellent range and a fast lens then the G1X is a much better option for many people.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Photato
In reply to SJP1978, 5 months ago

SJP1978 wrote:

+1

Superb question, my new camera will be either G1x ii or the A6000, which is better? Looks like A6000 wins in most of the specs but will have to wait for reviews and IQ results.

I bet Canon will end up lowering the price and then it would be a hard choice.

frameman
Contributing MemberPosts: 900

G1X II ......... an all in one unit, no sensor dust problems, over all system size, and I have a lot of 58mm filters and quite a few Canon accessories that I can use , flashes shoe cords, a smaller lighter bag thus I have continuity. If I had none of the above ............. well ......... Fuji then M4/3s ........ then Sony. My preference.

Photato
+ EVF

...and EVF included.

papillon_65
Re: + EVF

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

Plus rubbish menu system, plus nasty skin tones, plus poor zoom lenses, where do you want to go with this? My 5D2 has an optical viewfinder, 1/8000th shutter speed, much bigger sensor etc etc, see how that works?

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

Photato
In reply to papillon_65, 5 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

Plus rubbish menu system, plus nasty skin tones, plus poor zoom lenses, where do you want to go with this? My 5D2 has an optical viewfinder, 1/8000th shutter speed, much bigger sensor etc etc, see how that works?

The 5D2 is in a total different league man, cman lol.

But the A6000 seems like a reasonable alternative to the G1X for those seeking great IQ in a small package under $800.

Is not a coincidence that Sony announced it right after the G1X.

papillon_65

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

The point still stands, every camera is a compromise and if you want a high IQ fixed lens camera with decent range and a fast lens then the G1X is a no-brainer.

But the A6000 seems like a reasonable alternative to the G1X for those seeking great IQ in a small package under $800.

Sure but you need to buy several lenses to match the G1X, then it's not such a bargain.

Lots of manufacturers are announcing new cameras at the moment, it's that time of year, I wouldn't read too much into that. They are different types of cameras that will suit different requirements. For the range of 24-120mm Sony can't touch it, for interchangeable lenses the G1X loses, most will make their choice based on those criteria.

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,217Gear list

Photato wrote:

The A6000

the concept of purchasing a higher quality P&S is that the P&S is the entire kit you are walking around with.

with the A6000 or whatever MILC you want to have a fancy for, you have to carry around a bag with various lenses, switch them out to cover the focal range, etc,etc.  It's certainly not as "grab and go" as a P&S - thus the attraction of the higher end non-interchangeable cameras.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,217Gear list

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

certainly is not 800 by the time you add on those "high quality primes" and other lenses you are saying you would get / need,etc.

even with a pretty junk 16-50 you are already over the price of the GXII and you haven't even discussed purchasing a prime - of which I do believe you are hard pressed to purchase one prime for less than the GXII.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Photato
In reply to rrccad, 5 months ago

rrccad wrote:

Photato wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Photato wrote:

...and EVF included.

certainly is not 800 by the time you add on those "high quality primes" and other lenses you are saying you would get / need,etc.

But the flexibility is there. Not only in image quality but also in size.

With the G1X you are stuck with that lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads