Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928
Like?
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
8 months ago

Anyone have any experience with this lens?  Is it better than the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens which is about half the price.

I may be going to Mammoth Cave next month and have been looking for a fast wide angle lens for my Nikon D 300s.  No flash is allowed in the cave.

The only wide angle lens with VR is a Nikon for a lot more money and not as wide.

I may be able to use a monopod, but I will call and ask about it.  Someone has suggested a solution from Kirk that screws into your tripod socket and you step on the strap to keep it steady.  It is around $ 30 though.

Abu Mahendra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
In reply to DaveOl, 8 months ago

Wide angle Tokinas tend to be hamstrung by poor chromatic aberration and flare resistance performance. Caveat emptor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaveOl
Like?
In reply to Abu Mahendra, 8 months ago

I've heard about the flare problem before, but not about the other.  Thanks for the answer.

Abu Mahendra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?

Lenstip described the Purple Fringing of that lens as "monstrous".

>>A huge level of chromatic aberration is a nightmare of wide angle Tokinas. The predecessor of the tested lens had big problems in this category as well, so did many other instruments (it’s enough to mention here the 12-24 mm, the 16-50 mm or the 16.5-135 mm lenses). It’s high time the producer did something with that aberration because the rivals deal with it much better.<<

Read it yourself here:

http://www.lenstip.com/379.5-Lens_review-Tokina_AT-X_116_PRO_DX_II_AF_11-16_mm_f_2.8_Chromatic_and_spherical_aberration.html

DaveOl
Like?

Thanks, Abu

It looks like the problem doesn't get much better by stopping down either.  I might just pass on the lens.

SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,601
Like?
Re: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 - An Example

Here are two shots taken first with the canon 15-85 at 15mm.  The second with the tokina 11-16 at 11mm.  Both were shot under similar conditions.  The first being Oct. 4, 2014 the second Oct. 10, 2014.  The CA problems can be seen around the tree limbs and leaves.  I did not try to remove it.

Andy

DaveOl
Like?
In reply to SeaScout851, 8 months ago

You must be talking about the purplish fringe around the tree branches.

SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,601
Like?

DaveOl wrote:

Yes.  Note that this can be removed with software.  I've just not done it.

Andy

DaveOl
Like?

Thanks, I thought it could be removed.  Doesn't the Nikon D 300s remove some of this if you use JPEG?

evan47
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?

SeaScout851 wrote:

DaveOl wrote:

Yes. Note that this can be removed with software. I've just not done it.

Andy

dont forget the tokina will also give white fringing on high contrast edges, ie architecture too. this cannot be removed. most ultrawides do this on dx format. dont know why.

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393
Like?
In reply to evan47, 8 months ago

Though many seem to love this lens I am far less enthuesiastic about my copy. Night time or sunrise/sunset flare is horrible and my copy would not focus at infinity. I found a web article on this infinity focus thing and opened mine up and adjusted this for myself.

I personally do not recommend this lens due to the results I have gotten from my copy.

Pi lover
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
Re: Tokina 12-24 F4

DaveOl wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this lens? Is it better than the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens which is about half the price.

I may be going to Mammoth Cave next month and have been looking for a fast wide angle lens for my Nikon D 300s. No flash is allowed in the cave.

The only wide angle lens with VR is a Nikon for a lot more money and not as wide.

I may be able to use a monopod, but I will call and ask about it. Someone has suggested a solution from Kirk that screws into your tripod socket and you step on the strap to keep it steady. It is around $ 30 though.

I've got the Tokina 12-24 and it isn't what I'd consider a low light lens like you would want for caves.

Another choice for a steadier monopod:  I attached a cane foot to the bottom of mine.  It took about a half inch of cutting with the hacksaw to let it split wide enough to fit since the canes tend to be wider.  Push the tripod end in and tighten the bolt on the bottom of the cane foot and it's not coming off.  You can stand on it similar to with the strap but I suspect it's got a steadier base on all sides.

Tokina 12-24 moonlight.  25 seconds on a monopod - D90 ISO 100

Cane foot on the bottom of the monopod.

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961
Like?
In reply to Pi lover, 8 months ago

Nice looking set up, I did the same thing on my monopod, works great.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

alex41
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
In reply to ABA DABA, 8 months ago

Hi,

I have the Tokina 11-26/2.8 version II on my D7100. This is a very sharp lens but have purple fringing that can be fixed in Lightroom. Frequently I have flare shooting in strong light but this can be avoided by changing the shooting angle. Also the lens needs -0.7 EV exposure compensation at 16mm.

I have some full-size (6000X4000) pictures from 11-16 in my Flicker set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yazici/sets/72157637574140473/

Pi lover
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
In reply to alex41, 8 months ago

alex41 wrote:

Hi,

I have the Tokina 11-26/2.8 version II on my D7100. This is a very sharp lens but have purple fringing that can be fixed in Lightroom. Frequently I have flare shooting in strong light but this can be avoided by changing the shooting angle. Also the lens needs -0.7 EV exposure compensation at 16mm.

I have some full-size (6000X4000) pictures from 11-16 in my Flicker set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yazici/sets/72157637574140473/

Great results on the 11-16 on your Flcker set.  When they have enough light and you go to the higher f stops they shine !!!  I love the way clouds/ scenes become almost 3d with these lenses.

Grant

nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
GORGEOUS sunset pictures! (n/t)
In reply to alex41, 8 months ago
No text.
 nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
DaveOl
Like?
Re: Tokina 11-16 mm lens
In reply to nkistrup, 8 months ago

After thinking about this a few days, I might be better off buying a used Nikon 16-85 mm VR lens for about the same price.

I looked at some cave shots I took a year or two ago and I mainly used my zoom between 24mm to 50 mm for all the pictures.  They were shot at ISO 320, f/5.6, at 1/60th of a second with the Nikon SB 22s Flash.  However, no flash is allowed in Mammoth Cave, hence the VR may be the best answer. Plus the 16-85 is a much more versatile lens than the 11-16.

Formation in Cumberland Caverns , Tn

Besides the VR might eliminate the need to carry or use a monopod.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads