Geedorama
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Interesting read by Thom Hogan
7 months ago

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/can-you-trust-the-camera.html

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guido_2007/
Ideally, the lens captures what the eye had in mind...but the damn thing won't listen.

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,817Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting read by Thom Hogan
In reply to Geedorama, 7 months ago

One note of caution that the article touched on is the question of the usefulness of some lenses in the future, Today's mirrorless lens offerings are limited to current use on particular camera ( OK mFT lenses can be used on more than one make ).

Many do not have aperture rings & focus by wire so adaptbility onto possible future cameras may be very limited , remember the Minolta Vectis anyone ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,209
Like?
There is a discussion on the Nikon forum too !
In reply to Keit ll, 7 months ago
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,989Gear list
Like?

He seems worried that both Sony and Nikon will not have a "complete" line of APS-C lenses, even though both of these camera systems can  use the FF-size lenses.

So, first of all, I don't see the big deal, except for FE lenses being more expensive and slightly larger.  I would like to know that there will be occasional more consumer-friendly (cheaper!) models.

He also ignores the fact that you have the entire A-mount line available with AF, if you have an obscure need for the odd lens.

But I think the bottom line is, Sony just isn't going to have the resources for the "complete" line of lenses.  If you need to be guaranteed that kind of support, you're going to have to go with Canikon.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,989Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryW, 7 months ago

By the way, the worst problem, IMO, with using FE lenses on Nex cameras is that the "fast hybrid" AF is not supported.  This would seem to me to be a serious limitation.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340
Like?

I find the things Thom writes in this very weird.

He tells that lenses are very important for people who buy Interchangeble lens cameras. That is true. But then he starts to do as if you only can use APS lenses on an APS camera, that is nonsence. It is perfectly possible to use FF lenses on a crop camera. For some lenses it makes it even more attractive. Look at the 70-400mm G lens from Sony, on my A700 it gets a FOV of 105-600mm not bad! And would a lens with the same quality be much smaller when it was specialy designed for the APS sensor? I don't think so!

It makes sense that special lenses (like high quality lenses, long telelenses etc. are made in FF only, these lenses are not as much sold, so the FF cameras will give the APS  users more lenses to choose from then when Sony had to make two versions of every lens.

I will forget the remark he makes that Sony has 5 lens types, when he include the fixed lens linen too.

When he tells that Nikon has to use its existing mount for mirrorless, he is forgetting that their existing mount makes it impossible to make smaller cameras at all, as the flange distance will stay the same...

Will mirrorless take over in the end? Yes I'm sure of that.
We have to see when in how, but it will happen, look how Fuji, m43 and Sony have fast focussing in their lineup now. The reason for buying DSLRs will go down. In the end we will see a small grou[p of people using DSLRs for very special reasons like some peole now are using rangefinder cameras...

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340
Like?

GaryW wrote:

By the way, the worst problem, IMO, with using FE lenses on Nex cameras is that the "fast hybrid" AF is not supported. This would seem to me to be a serious limitation.

If thats true I agree with you, but maybe it  is solvable in a FF update, maybe the A6000 will work with PDAF and FE lenses....

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

stoppingdown
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?

A way to quickly sum up Thom's point, IMHO, is that Sony strategy is very aggressive on several fronts (mirrorless APC + mirrorless FF) and it has got also legacy (A-mount). Given that a corporate cannot be equally present on all those four fronts, I mean, keeping the same pace of releasing new products in all those lines, the result is some confusion and worry (perhaps more based on false perception than real troubles) by the customers.

As some posted here in the past weeks, for instance, Sony won't do a lot of things in the E-mount APS-C front this year, because clearly they have to prioritize the newest and more profitable E-mount FF. Perhaps 1-2 lenses only and just the A-6000, which is sort of a mid-way improvement over NEX-6 (with some contradictions, such as the worse EVF).

To me, as a new user in this segment, this is hardly a problem. There aren't a lot of lenses in the E-mount, as some said, once you remove the mediocre ones, but there are those I'm interested into. I'd really like to see a 70-135mm/f4 zoom much lighter than the 70-200mm f/4, but I reckon this is a sort of exotic request.

For what concerns the camera bodies, I'm not eager to buy a new one and in the meantime I'm satisfied to see that Sony is addressing AF speed. I realise that most of the new things that we'll see in next camera bodies will be sooner or later available in all new models - I mean, I expect to see improved AF in the next FF, then we'll probably see better EVFs in FF first and I expect to see a fall-off in 2015 APS-C, and so on.

What some people could be worried about is Sony entirely dropping E-mount APS-C. I'm saying this as this fear has been always present in the Nikon world since when they introduced the FF. Still, IMHO, this is not a thing that is going to happen.

A way to solve this uncertainty, real or perceived, would be by means of Sony to release a more detailed roadmap for the 2/3 next years, but this is probably a problem for a corporate, as this would be too deep a constraint for them - but this, in the end, confirms the idea that they are not 100% sure of what they're doing.

Clearly, for people interested only or mostly in the E-mount FF, Sony's strategy is definitely not a problem.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici
http://stoppingdown.net

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,845
Like?

GaryW wrote:

He seems worried that both Sony and Nikon will not have a "complete" line of APS-C lenses, even though both of these camera systems can use the FF-size lenses.

So, first of all, I don't see the big deal, except for FE lenses being more expensive and slightly larger. I would like to know that there will be occasional more consumer-friendly (cheaper!) models.

He also ignores the fact that you have the entire A-mount line available with AF, if you have an obscure need for the odd lens.

+1 Gary.   Thom uses the information he needs to make a point without telling the whole story.   Which is really not unlike the vast majority of the posts I see from m4/3, Fuji X and other users making general statements about Sony's lenses but they always leave out many of the available options.   But that doesn't mean that Thom is all wrong in his criticisms of Sony.   There is no question that Sony's lens strategy is a weakness compared to the cameras.

Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?

The one thing you can take from this is that Sony may have dropped the ball a little bit with A-mount.  If you take A-mount (including Minolta lenses), it's a relatively complete system with many options.

He also leaves out the fact that you can use all your A-mount lenses on A7/r via a very high quality adapter.  Sure it's not ideal or attractive but if you are a) shooting landscape from a tripod or b) shooting wildlife with a large Tele lens, the extra bulk is negligible.  When you want a small lens for everyday shooting, you have the 35mm and 55mm FE lenses (for now).

If Nikon and Canon decide to go with a smaller mount, you can bet that they will release high quality adapters to use F-mount and EF lenses.

I think FE will be very popular and there will be many lenses that will be usefull on APS-C.  There is no point in making a whole bunch of specialty lenses for APS-C when a full frame can substitute.  Where Sony needs to concentrate on APS-C lenses is making small useful zooms and wide angles that will retain the size advantage of APS-C.  Anything over 50mm, the size difference is marginal between FF an APS-C

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,191Gear list
Like?
Ridiculous banter by Thom Hogan

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/can-you-trust-the-camera.html

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guido_2007/
Ideally, the lens captures what the eye had in mind...but the damn thing won't listen.

Thom, how many APSc prime lenses does Canon make? And how many does Sony?

And why exactly is it better to create prime lenses exclusively for a smaller format and additional set for larger? You might be thinking Canon and Nikon APSc lines have those choices better than Sony?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,191Gear list
Like?
I think Thom makes valid points....

...and they are not just directed at Sony----in fact, this is an outgrowth of things he's been writing about Nikon for a while. Quite critical things, btw.

I also see this, however, as a view through a particular "lens", pun intended, that is clearly optics focused. And that is very much a pro point of view, or at least a particular sort of pro.  This sort of person needs to align themselves with the lenses they think they will need.  They are more apt to shoot primes, and more apt to need particular lenses for particular jobs.

I also know, however, that most of the pros I've had any contact with shoot with just a handful of lenses.  So while the lens offerings of Canon and Nikon are vast, when you weed them down to the best lenses that list is already smaller, weed down to contemporary designs smaller still. & etc.

So we have multiple points of "yes, but..." to his argument.  It does not invalidate it, but it qualifies it by a lot, I think.  Add in the salient point above that he is making a bit too much of the multiple mount thing with Sony---which has just 2 mounts, full stop---and includes a maturing adapter strategy (Nikon has 2 mounts, too, and no adapter strategy whatsoever...), plus a now robust 3rd party adapter market with multiple players, PLUS the overlooked fact that all FF lenses can be used for APSC, and now furthermore with E mount FF a built in crop mode....the argument is very much qualified.

And then we add in the consideration of 3rd party manufacturers---who are making some mighty nice lenses!----and I don't feel this issue is nearly as significant as he argues.  In another thread I opined that if I were head of Sony camera division I'd be working really really hard on more agreements with other lens manufacturers:  Sigma, Tamron, Cosina and Samyang to complement the existing relationship with Zeiss.  Just sayin'.

I agree with him most frequently, but this is one place where (with regard to Sony, at least) we will have to agree to disagree.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 7 months ago
When he tells that Nikon has to use its existing mount for mirrorless, he is forgetting that their existing mount makes it impossible to make smaller cameras at all, as the flange distance will stay the same...

As a happy owner and user of a Nex-7, Nikon FE (film) and Nikon D600, personally I would have no problem with a mirrorless camera with the depth required by the F-Mount system.

I do realise that in certain situations, small camera size may be advantageous, but to tell the truth, I've never really "gotten" the obsession which some people have with camera/lens size. Body size/weight was not even a secondary consideration when I bought my Nex-7.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
In a nutshell...

I think these are his major points (in random order), which I would like to address:

1. Crop sensor lenses development is neglected by everyone, and needs more attention, since crop sensors are here to stay at least for economic reasons
  2. You can't trust any of the camera manufacturers these days, but at least Canon and Nikon have the most complete lens lineups.
  3. Nikon might as well make mirrorless without changing the registration distance, since as he says, the EM-1 is technically wider than a DF given the handgrip anyway.

As for #1, his premise is that every system camera should have every kind of lens (app). He is contradicting himself, since he has also stated that basically even Canon and Nikon are becoming consumer electronics companies because the professional photography market is shrinking. I am not a professional photographer. And if I was, I would not use every conceivable type of lens. My needs are addressed with a couple or wides, normal, portrait, and perhaps one day a tilt-shift (and it need not be from the vendor).  He probably subscribes to additional reasons why crop lens expansion is necessary: they should be smaller/lighter than FF counterparts, and some of the FF lenses are "oddball" focal lengths for crop frame. (35 on crop isn't exactly a 50mm equivalent, 50 crop isn't an 85, etc.)

As for #2. He is right. You cannot trust the manufacturers. You cannot exactly bank on any of the new lens systems, since who knows which ones will succeed? Unfortunately lenses with autofocus motors and stabilization, etc. are in any case threatening the longevity of lenses in general. Not that many lenses can be considered an investment any more. So maybe being able to trust the manufacturers is a little overrated, since you can't trust the lens longevity anyway (unless you go for the old fully mechanical lenses).

No comment on #3.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
nemist
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
In reply to Habs Fan27, 7 months ago

It's very funny to read people spread these misconceptopons.

1) a-mount in not complete.

Many old Minolta lenses are not being serviced any longer. They have film coatings. The AF is often slow and loud. There are no warranty options. And they must be purchased on the used market. So the idea that the beer can is a viable option is not good for someone who wants a modern competitive system that can be serviced.

Just because a-mount has some lenses does not make it a complete lens line up, i.e. where are these lenses:

50 1.8

UWA f4 (or something below 2k)

24-105

85 f1.8/2

70-200 f4

35 f2/2.8

40-50mm f2.8 pancake

any tilt shift options (17mm, 24mm, 90mm)

big exotics

These are the lenses that are just flat out missing. There are also plenty on Minolta rebadges that need to be up updated and are no longer competitive.

The list above is just for FF lenses, and only a-mount.

2) Sony has done terribly on FF bodies. They have really released two a-mount bodies (a900/a99) since 2008. The a850 is really a extremely slight rehash of the a900. And I do looooove that camera.

3) Using non-native lenses on a camera does not complete a system, although it can work. Having ILC cameras like the Fuji series or NEX is great. I have used both. And I have a set of legacy lenses. I have also used LAEA adapter with NEX. It's a nice option, it's not a substitute. Aside from loss of stabilization and extra bulk, there is another couple hundred you spend on the LAEA adapter. By the way, there are four of them now…nice money scam Sony. If you're going to shoot NEX, the major selling point in big IQ in a small package. If you are using large lenses, you're negative a major strength of the system.

4) I primarily shot a mount for several years, and I love that system. The AF zeiss and Sony bodies are lovely. But aside from very high end options, and used lenses, you start to run out of options quick--especially if you need anything more than very standard glass.

5) Sony has 5 large sensor camera lines right now--aps-c a/e mount, ff a/e mount, and RX100/10/1. All interchangeable lens mounts are vastly incomplete. Sony keep building a very basic system, makes some promise, then moves on. E-mount ape-c and a-mount ape-c and FF have been shown so little attention lately.

I am sure some will attack this post and call me a hater and wish me off to other systems. But I have shot Sony extensively. Both FF and crop. When Sony fits the bill, it's fabulous. The Zeiss 85 and 135 are spectacular lenses that give superb results on the a900/a99. The FE 55 1.8 is superb. The 24 1.8 is a wonderful lens. I hear very good things about the 16-50 2.8 a-mount.

It's really a bummer Sony can't dedicate itself to a single target/mount. Had they consolidated all their resources to one mount, the market share would have been much better. Sony never tried to truly challenge Nikon and Canon in earnest. They never stuck around, built a system, catered to different demographics, worked with many smaller camera shops, capitalized on Zeiss AF glass, release firmware updates, refresh lenses, etc.

Shooters can shout and make excuses, but it's extremely hard to argue with results. People will go to the best option. Photographers are no "prejudice" they want the best option for the least money.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Re: I think Thom makes valid points....
In reply to tex, 7 months ago

...and they are not just directed at Sony----in fact, this is an outgrowth of things he's been writing about Nikon for a while. Quite critical things, btw.

I also see this, however, as a view through a particular "lens", pun intended, that is clearly optics focused. And that is very much a pro point of view, or at least a particular sort of pro.  This sort of person needs to align themselves with the lenses they think they will need.  They are more apt to shoot primes, and more apt to need particular lenses for particular jobs.

I also know, however, that most of the pros I've had any contact with shoot with just a handful of lenses.  So while the lens offerings of Canon and Nikon are vast, when you weed them down to the best lenses that list is already smaller, weed down to contemporary designs smaller still. & etc.

So we have multiple points of "yes, but..." to his argument.  It does not invalidate it, but it qualifies it by a lot, I think.  Add in the salient point above that he is making a bit too much of the multiple mount thing with Sony---which has just 2 mounts, full stop---and includes a maturing adapter strategy (Nikon has 2 mounts, too, and no adapter strategy whatsoever...), plus a now robust 3rd party adapter market with multiple players, PLUS the overlooked fact that all FF lenses can be used for APSC, and now furthermore with E mount FF a built in crop mode....the argument is very much qualified.

And then we add in the consideration of 3rd party manufacturers---who are making some mighty nice lenses!----and I don't feel this issue is nearly as significant as he argues.  In another thread I opined that if I were head of Sony camera division I'd be working really really hard on more agreements with other lens manufacturers:  Sigma, Tamron, Cosina and Samyang to complement the existing relationship with Zeiss.  Just sayin'.

I agree with him most frequently, but this is one place where (with regard to Sony, at least) we will have to agree to disagree.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

I don't think Sony has an issue with Tamron and Zeiss as third party suppliers as they collaborate together. Sigma is an oddball but likely because it refuses to license and pay its dues, instead chooses to reverse engineer. That isn't Sony's fault. In fact, Sigma has similar issues with Canon and Nikon too.

A point Thom could learn is that lenses are becoming disposable commodities too. The trend really started with the arrival of AF systems and accelerated over last few years with drive by wire designs from all manufacturers. Another key to disposability is increased ease of replacing systems.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,462
Like?
In reply to stoppingdown, 7 months ago

stoppingdown wrote:

To me, as a new user in this segment, this is hardly a problem. There aren't a lot of lenses in the E-mount, as some said, once you remove the mediocre ones, but there are those I'm interested into. I'd really like to see a 70-135mm/f4 zoom much lighter than the 70-200mm f/4, but I reckon this is a sort of exotic request.

Just a quick note of support - although my vote would be for 50-150f4. Seems to me that would be a natural companion to the 16-70 as well as working with the existing kit lenses. Whatever they do, it seems to me an E mount companion to the 16-70 is pretty important for keeping serious users in the system.

A way to solve this uncertainty, real or perceived, would be by means of Sony to release a more detailed roadmap for the 2/3 next years, but this is probably a problem for a corporate, as this would be too deep a constraint for them - but this, in the end, confirms the idea that they are not 100% sure of what they're doing.

A roadmap would be nice, but as you say, does not seem likely. I think Sony has been rethinking their strategy and they may not yet be settled into long term plans. After trying FF for several months last year I'm now committed to smaller sensors -- I just did not get the quality boost to justify the extra size, weight and cost. While there is a lot I like about Sony E mount I worry about where it will go in the next 2 or 3 years.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,462
Like?
Thank you, Nemist
In reply to nemist, 7 months ago

You saved me a lot of typing.

I shopped the A-mount system extensively last year and came to very much the same conclusion. Too many lenses are available only in used Minolta, while too many of the Sony lenses are rebadged older designs -- aside from the outright holes in the system.

I've tried a number of Sony cameras and lenses over the past year (and quite a few Minolta lenses as well), and while there is a lot I like about Sony I just cannot seem to find a way to build a complete system within the brand.

Perhaps worse, I don't know what Sony will do next. I no longer consider a camera system a long-term investment -- I think 3 years or at most 5 is as far out as we can plan in digital -- but I don't even have a feel for where Sony is going in the next 6 months, much less 3 years.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to nemist, 7 months ago

You proved the issue with Thom's argument. You ask: Where is 50/1.8 for A-mount?

Well, it is there, crippled, and produced for APSc format. So it is missing for FF. That itself is ridiculous because 50mm is a neither here nor there FL on APSc yet it has been a classic normal FL on FF. But, that is exactly what Thom thinks Sony should do (ir more of).

Minolta used to have a 50/1.4 and 50/1.7, both FF. Sony decided to produce cheaper 50mm on APSc format instead and voila Thom's dreams in action and reality is, it crippled the A-mount in the process. I use Minolta 50/1.7 instead. A similar issue with 35mm too.

I refuse to buy crop sensor lenses on A-mount and hope that E-mount does not suffer the same fate. It is one of the reasons I have also stsyed away from the nice 24/1.8. If it were FE, a major part of upgrade process would be already there.

I can see a point to zoom lenses especially simce APSc format has to go wider than 24mm in most cases. But again, Sony replaced the economical FF 75-300 with APSc (initially with 55-200 and later with 55-300), more crippling. Now the FF 70-300 choice is limited to the premium G lens from Sony (or one has to go third party who only make FF versions). And that is the recipe Thom is demanding.

Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422Gear list
Like?

Good article.

It does seem like a bit of a strange and treacherous time to be buying in to a system.

I've heard a few sentiments to the effect that Sony should now stay the course. If the latest rumor of the week is true, they may be doing that by concentrating on FE lenses. If they can inspire some confidence by filling out the lineup more quickly than expected, and really get the AF together to back up the hype, in the full-frame bodies, that could really be something.

All the while, I'm biding my time with a bunch of legacy lenses and an A7 (all set from 17mm to 300mm thank you very much). Hopefully by the time this body wears out, a clear long-term strategy will emerge. I like what Sony is doing so far with high-performance primes for the FE lineup. I'm a bit hesitant to invest, however after failing to sell my old SEL24f18z at a pretty substantial loss (and I bought that used).

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads