Which Memory Card for FZ200?

Started 10 months ago | Questions
dragonheart9
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Which Memory Card for FZ200?
10 months ago

Hello friends,

I am planning to buy a new MMC for my FZ200. My camera came with a Panasonic 4GB class 10 card but I notice that red MMC icon on the screen when I am shooting in burst fire or in low light. May be its time to buy a better card. How will be Sony SDHC 94mb/sec class 10 card or Will a 30-40 mb/sec will do?

And yes tell me how to find the max writing speed of the camera?

Thanks in advance

Jeet

dragonheart9's gear list:dragonheart9's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Memory Card for FZ200?
In reply to dragonheart9, 10 months ago

dragonheart9 wrote:

May be its time to buy a better card. How will be Sony SDHC 94mb/sec class 10 card or Will a 30-40 mb/sec will do?

Unfortunately you'll be wasting for your money as the bottleneck is the FZ200s write speed rather than SD card performance. Myself and others have noticed no significant difference between Sandisk Ultra and Sandisk Extreme or Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,487Gear list
Like?
In reply to dragonheart9, 10 months ago

I had similar thoughts. I have several Class 10 cards: 8, 16 and 32GB. I tend not to do long periods at 5fps so buffer full has not been a problem yet. But I expect to exercise the FZ200 a little more this year. So, just in case, I was tempted by this recent offer from Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ZBUQQ8/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

The card arrived yesterday and your post prompted me to try it. Just tried it, with current Class 10 Pro card (albeit 7dayshop,com own brand) and with the Toshiba UHS-I card. In A mode at ISO400 and 5.5Fps I pressed the shutter button, after about 5 seconds the frame drops, let it go on for another 5 seconds, then let finger off. Write indicator stopped after another 6 seconds. The UHS-I card made no difference to slow down at 5 seconds and the write indicator maybe when out a second earlier with the UHS-I card.  Overall, I think the UHS-I card does no real difference.  Not a  big investment for me and the card might make a difference on some future camera.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 5,002Gear list
Like?
Re: UHS-I Memory Card for FZ200?
In reply to windmillgolfer, 10 months ago

windmillgolfer wrote:

The UHS-I card made no difference to slow down at 5 seconds

This is a bit disheartening, especially when Panasonic makes the following claim in regards to the FZ200:

"In addition to the conventional SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card, the DMC-FZ200 complies with UHS-I (Ultra High Speed-I) standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Card for higher speed data transfer by minimizing writing time which is effective for high speed burst shooting."

Sounds like marketing based their statements on UHS-I hype, not actual FZ200 performance in practice.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
dragonheart9
Like?
In reply to cainn24, 10 months ago

Ok...how much is writing speed of the camera by the way? any idea?

dragonheart9
Like?
In reply to cainn24, 10 months ago

Will it make any difference while shooting 1080p videos?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads