A horse named Romeo

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421
Like?
A horse named Romeo
10 months ago

This is my friend's Arabian named Romeo. He presented quite a challenge in this lighting for my FZ200. It was extremely bright and contrastry and it was difficult to get the focus right as he was prancing around. I was shooting in A at F2.8 in auto ISO and thought the bright conditions would be enough for a fast enough shutter speed but I think I should have bumped the ISO up to ISO 400 to insure sharper images. These conditions are also difficult for the auto focus on the camera especially with a subject coming straight at the camera. I'm still pretty happy with these. what do you think?

-Tim

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 4,341Gear list
Like?
Re: A horse named Romeo
In reply to Timj351, 10 months ago

Those are great shots Tim. Lots of detail. The "action" jumps right out on those shots.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony a6000 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,815
Like?

Good ones !

I like the steam coming off the horse - it emphasizes the action.

I never see that around here: too dry & warm for it to show.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Timj351
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, 10 months ago

Thanks Jerry and Erik. I enjoying photographing horses when I get the chance but they can be pretty challenging. They move so quickly and can be easily spooked or startled. A camera with a decent zoom on it works well and makes it safer for you and the horse. My friend was accidentally kicked in both thighs the other day when her horse got spooked by some barking dogs. She is nursing her bruises now but thankfully it wasn't a worse injury.

-Tim

Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,046Gear list
Like?

Romeo reminds me so much of an Arab that I raised from a colt. During a training exercise one day, he just decided to become a rodeo bronc and bucked me off so hard, I went over the back of the saddle and onto my head. Had a hematoma the size of a lemon, but fortunately it went away. Up until then, he was quite gentle.

Thanks for the memories of how enjoyable it is to watch an Arab move.

-- hide signature --

If life is, indeed, a journey, ask yourself how you can make it as interesting as possible, so that at each day's end, you can give a good accounting of what you have learned.

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
daRRski
Contributing MemberPosts: 979Gear list
Like?

Great series....thanks for sharing

daRRski's gear list:daRRski's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 +20 more
Timj351
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

Thanks Vandyu. Wow, that is a scary situation. I'm glad these can help bring back the good memories for you.

-Tim

Timj351
Like?
In reply to daRRski, 10 months ago

Thank you daRRski.

-Tim

danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,417Gear list
Like?

Nice shots, Tim.  Sometimes the lighting is just conducive to blown highlights.  Regardless you captured action of the moment and the frisky nature of this fellow.  Well done!

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
Timj351
Like?
In reply to danielsonkin, 10 months ago

Thanks Daniel.

Since I work with Raw files I was starting to adjust the highlights for a little more detail when I stopped myself from going too far. I realized that in some cases like this I actually prefer some blown highlights because It can add to the sense of "being there" and having to shade your eyes from the bright sunlight to take in the scene. Normally greater dynamic range is desirable but not always. And of course, everything I do is a work in progress so I appreciate all the advice I can get.

-Tim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads