DPR Hates Criticism... Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Re: Tilting at windmills
In reply to KL Matt, 10 months ago

What?  You mean I can't get my money back?  100% of ZERO has got to be worth something?  A customer can always walk with his/her feet.  A forum/review site don't even have a door to hit me in the rear end on my way out.

Just recently bought a MX-1 and I assumed that through that transaction I am a customer of my local camera store and Ricoh/Pentax.  Did not know I'm a customer of DPR too.  Great if something goes wrong I'll send my camera back to DPR for repairs.

Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,156Gear list

KL Matt wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

In reply to awaldram (Jim didn't write this):

I couldn't care either way the only thing that erks me is saying one thing and doing another, Its nonprofessional and leads to miss management of the customers expectations.

So we're customers, now? How did that happen? How much are you paying for your subscription? Mine's free.

Edit: misattribution of quote corrected.

We are customers for their advertising.

No, we are most certainly not "customers for their advertising", since that would imply that we purchase advertising from DPReview. That applies to practically no one here (unless of course you are a marketing manager of a camera company or their ad agency, but you can probably count those individuals here on one hand).

I'm not counting the DPR Gear Shop, but you don't mean that anyway. Even if, buying a camera no less entitles you to demanding certain editorial decisions than does ignoring their ads.

LOL, it's our *eyeballs* that they want - DPR is not a charity organization, and they need traffic to be successful. The typical DPR reader is likely to spend thousands of dollars on camera gear, and is a valuable advertising target for the photo industry. It's a pity that you don't think you are of value to DPR, and that you should be satisfied for whatever *free* information that the internet offers you.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
newmikey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,965Gear list
Seems to be very common these days
In reply to Heie2, 10 months ago

Totally agree. I eventually upped and left a forum that I'd even donated to in the past due to this (the "other" Pentax forum). I think what tipped me over is getting a mod warning for using bad language for ..... quoting the lyrics of the famous song from Monthy Python's "Life of Brian". I realized I'd had enough and was so utterly disgusted I threw in the towel.

Now I know you yourself are an American as well but you have a least spent a large part of your life abroad and understand cultural differences but most Americans will gladly watch people beat each other to pulp for a sport but will shut down anyone who'd dare to write a "bad three-letter word" or bleep 'm out if they dare use 'm on TV. Other regions will have more concerns with showing gore and violence or clearly racist writings/publications.

Same as this forum - restrictive as that place down under where the guy with the pitchfork rules (you cannot say the name of the place here) but with an off-topic forum that is one of the filthiest pits of racist fundamentalist bigotry I have ever had the misfortune to come across on the web.

I am not surprised at the fact you noted - manipulation seems to be the new trend around here since  Phil left.

Mike

-- hide signature --
 newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
ragmanjin
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list

KL Matt wrote:

awaldram wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

Ok sorry about that, didn't mean to make it personal. I take it back. If you would like and would do likewise from your reply I will try to delete my comment.

EDIT: Sorry, it won't let me withdraw or edit that post. It's been more than 5 minutes apparently.

EDIT: So I complained about my own post. Maybe a mod will delete it.

Now that is cool .

I wondered when I did it how often that's happened before -- someone complaining about their own post. Maybe a first for the respective mod and they get a chuckle? Hope I don't get banned! :-o

Maybe they'll see it as everyone makes mistakes.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Matt

Definitely not a first, I've had to complain about "my own" posts a couple times after my wife thought it would be funny to post angry nonsense on here when I was sleeping/not looking. Also once when I was super drunk and forgot what point I was trying to make while I was writing a post.

Ah, the early days.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

ragmanjin's gear list:ragmanjin's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Samsung Pro815 Canon PowerShot G11 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +7 more
ragmanjin
Re: Seems to be very common these days
In reply to newmikey, 10 months ago

newmikey wrote:

Same as this forum - restrictive as that place down under where the guy with the pitchfork rules (you cannot say the name of the place here) ...

OH, YOU MEAN HELL!  ha, I thought you were talking about Australia for a second, was desperately trying to remember if I've ever seen any aussie with a pitchfork.

I don't think I have.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Samsung Pro815 Canon PowerShot G11 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +7 more
Butoa
Junior MemberPosts: 28
I would have deleted it.

Don't post about your camera in other camera review. Those comments should be about D5300 review.

Good job by the admins for deleting nonsense, which is nothing but spam by fanboys to promote K-3 on other pages.

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Comment seems to be deleted now.

Logged in or not, heie2's comment is not there (and not found in his user page either), though pew pew's comment remains as in the screen shot.

They were probably in the process of deleting it when you took the snap. This isn't the first time they've had an issue like this. I would prefer if they made it clear that comments were being scrubbed. Well, I guess this thread does make that clear now.

I couldn't care less about a k3 review, tbh. Plenty of people use it and enjoy it. When was the last time reading a review changed your user experience or added anything meaningful to what you know about a camera you're using regularly?

ragmanjin
Re: I would have deleted it.
In reply to Butoa, 10 months ago

Butoa wrote:

Don't post about your camera in other camera review. Those comments should be about D5300 review.

Good job by the admins for deleting nonsense, which is nothing but spam by fanboys to promote K-3 on other pages.

By your logic they should delete 23 of the 25 Sony fanboy comments you've posted in the M4/3, Samsung and Pentax forums during your few months as a member here.

"Do as I say, not as I do," right?

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

aerorail
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
remember?

back in the day if it wasn't nikon on dpr it wasn't a good camera and EVERYTHING else got low ratings

aerorail's gear list:aerorail's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
ragmanjin
Re: remember?
In reply to aerorail, 10 months ago

aerorail wrote:

back in the day if it wasn't nikon on dpr it wasn't a good camera and EVERYTHING else got low ratings

Looking at the list of reviews ordered by rating, that seems to be more true now and not even vaguely accurate back in the day: http://www.dpreview.com/camerareviews?type=reviews&sort=rating

Then again, I could be totally wrong.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,221Gear list
In reply to steephill, 10 months ago

steephill wrote:

Every time a new camera of any brand doesn't get an immediate full glowing review the carping starts. I read the same sort of rubbish about DPR bias in lots of forums. This non-existent bias apparently favours Nikon and/or Canon. A recent post in one of those threads did what anyone can do - compare announcement dates with review dates for all brands of cameras. Far from favouring Nikon it looked like they were being ignored. So much for bias.

This topic has been answered honestly and fairly by DPR in the feedback thread mentioned. Dreaming up conspiracy theories isn't going to change reality or accelerate any review process. How could it if every fan of every brand is doing the same whining?

When it comes to censorship remember that this is a private site not a democracy. If you don't like it you are free to leave (unlike some other non-democratic systems!).

Great post! Highly Recommended (just).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Henrik Melander
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Re: DPR Hates Criticism...
In reply to Cigarguy, 10 months ago

Saying Their house their rules. is kinda stupid.

its like saying their country their rules abouth north korea for example

Cigarguy
In reply to Henrik Melander, 10 months ago

Henrik Melander wrote:

Ah, yes that's exactly how the world works.  North Korea have their own rules despite what anyone says.  The US, Russia, Germany, France, Iran, China, country X, they do whatever they want within their own borders.  My most accounts Syria is operating under their own rules these days and have been for a while.  Please don't try to convince me that North Korea is not operating by their own rules.  Nothing new or ground breaking in that.  As for DPR or any other review site, they do whatever they want.  And good on them.  They have that right.  If I disagree, no one is stopping me from starting my own site with my own rules.

Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Just to clear this up

KL Matt wrote:

In reply to awaldram (Jim didn't write this):

I couldn't care either way the only thing that erks me is saying one thing and doing another, Its nonprofessional and leads to miss management of the customers expectations.

So we're customers, now? How did that happen? How much are you paying for your subscription? Mine's free.

Edit: misattribution of quote corrected.

We pay by ad-clicking and GearShop shopping.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Cigarguy
Re: Just to clear this up
In reply to Leandros S, 10 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

True.  If we disagree or want to make a point we can stop ad-clicking and Gearshop shopping.   There are alternatives no one is forcing us into this.

When the traffic is low they will either get the message or die.  If the traffic do not die then maybe....just maybe....they are right?  Obviously DPR have become what they are by NOT being a Pentax fanboy.  Maybe they are doing something right.

Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Having to sell out is not "doing something right"
In reply to Cigarguy, 10 months ago

Cigarguy wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

True. If we disagree or want to make a point we can stop ad-clicking and Gearshop shopping. There are alternatives no one is forcing us into this.

When the traffic is low they will either get the message or die. If the traffic do not die then maybe....just maybe....they are right? Obviously DPR have become what they are by NOT being a Pentax fanboy. Maybe they are doing something right.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. DPR had to sell out to amazon. Imaging-Resource, by contrast, has enough goodwill behind it to survive on its own.

-- hide signature --

Cigarguy
Re: Having to sell out is not "doing something right"
In reply to Leandros S, 10 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

Cigarguy wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

True. If we disagree or want to make a point we can stop ad-clicking and Gearshop shopping. There are alternatives no one is forcing us into this.

When the traffic is low they will either get the message or die. If the traffic do not die then maybe....just maybe....they are right? Obviously DPR have become what they are by NOT being a Pentax fanboy. Maybe they are doing something right.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. DPR had to sell out to amazon. Imaging-Resource, by contrast, has enough goodwill behind it to survive on its own.

-- hide signature --

You'd think DPR would be attractive to anyone if there's no traffic?  It's the goal of proprietors of most small companies to sell their creation and cash in on their hard work.

sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Re: We should not be spamming all of DPR

Yes I remember getting this incensed of the pentax 10 lack of review and didn't come to this websit for 8 years, and I got in trouble for voicing my opinion. Funny how things don't change!

sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
NotSteve
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
In reply to Henrik Melander, 10 months ago

This is a very lame analogy, indicating both a lack of understanding about international affairs and how this forum works.

According to international law, countries are supposed to respect one another's sovereignty/uphold the principle of non-interference in one another's internal affairs, that would be the principle in question in relation to other countries. Travel to any country and try to do whatever you want in violation of local laws and see how that works out for you, whether in north Korea or the U.S -- there will be consequences.

DPR does set the rules here and has staff and volunteer moderators to enforce them. The point of the objection by Heie, myself and others is that there should be some transparency, and that actions by moderators and staff should not be arbitrary, petty or random.

The crux of the matter, in terms of what Heie originally posted, is also considered by many on this Pentax forum a matter arbitrariness on the part of DPR staff -- the fact that they've decided to put the K-3 at a lower priority for review than other cameras based on some inscrutable rationale. That is DPR's prerogative to do so, but then on the other hand, they can't turn around and start removing posts when people call them out on this decision.

Henrik Melander wrote:

NotSteve's gear list:NotSteve's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01
jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
In reply to NotSteve, 10 months ago

NotSteve wrote:

This is a very lame analogy, indicating both a lack of understanding about international affairs and how this forum works.

It also indicates a lack of understanding about logic.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads