DPR Hates Criticism... Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Re: We should not be spamming all of DPR
In reply to KL Matt, 7 months ago

KL Matt wrote:

The thing is, DPR is already very much aware that Pentax fans are annoyed about no K3 review. We've told them that a bazillion times. They don't need to be informed of this, again, in the Nikon review comments of all places. It's way off topic.

They most likely (and rightfully so IMO) felt this was spamming other forums/brands/reviews. They really should not tolerate that because it lessens the experience for the majority of users. If you want to let them know your opinion about how long they are taking, I would recommend doing so in the Feedback forum, which I have also done. There is already a thread there,with an intelligent and level-headed response from DPR no less.

If we start spamming the entire site, we'll make things worse before we make them better. DPR is in the end just a handful of people who work hard every day and do the best they can. We should not be trying to make their lives more difficult.

I'm sure the K3 review is on its way.

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

You mean like Sony fanboy ET2 spamming the Pentax forum?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
KL Matt
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,135
Re: Tilting at windmills
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 7 months ago

In reply to awaldram (Jim didn't write this):

I couldn't care either way the only thing that erks me is saying one thing and doing another, Its nonprofessional and leads to miss management of the customers expectations.

So we're customers, now? How did that happen? How much are you paying for your subscription? Mine's free.

Edit: misattribution of quote corrected.

KL Matt
Re: We should not be spamming all of DPR

You mean like Sony fanboy ET2 spamming the Pentax forum?

Not aware of it. But whoever does it, yes, the same thing applies: "don't be that guy."

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list

KL Matt wrote:

I couldn't care either way the only thing that erks me is saying one thing and doing another, Its nonprofessional and leads to miss management of the customers expectations.

So we're customers, now? How did that happen? How much are you paying for your subscription? Mine's free.

Sorry -- I didn't write that.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
KL Matt

Jim in Hudson wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

Sorry -- I didn't write that.

Oops my bad, Jim, my reply with quote makes it look like you did.
Edit: luckily I could still edit that post and attributed the quote to the rightful owner.

Sorry,

Matt

-- hide signature --

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,748Gear list

KL Matt wrote:

Customer a person or thing of a specified kind that one has to deal with. ??

Maybe you don't work in any service business .?

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
awaldram

KL Matt wrote:

The rampant OT remarks in comments from all forum members I think maybe your applying your angst to 'everyone' that isn't there how would they know I rarley read comments so don't and suspect nobody knows or cares who the 'Pentax fans' are.

Whha... HUH? Sorry, I couldn't parse that at all. Are you trying to demonstrate exactly what a Pentax fan foaming at the mouth looks like?

What is it with you rude and obnoxious are you working at it?

I was pointing out that many 'Comments' are Off topic and not related directly to the DpR output from many logged in people not exclusively Pentax 'fans' .... So it is you who are singleing out a subset for your own ends and own abuse.?

You response clearly proves that in this case 'everyone' is in fact you.!

I'm not condoning or berating any of the comments just observing your rants are no different and really just the same as those you abuse.

Actualy yours are worse as you clearly breaking DpR forum policy

Be civil. Anyone being rude, abusive, calling names or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated.  If you are repeatedly abusive you will be banned from these forums. Specific behavior that will not be tolerated and will result in post removal / banning includes:

• Flaming: Insulting, abusive, malicious, personal attacks.

Given the number of abusive , malicious personal attacks you managed to launch in one thread I think your days are numbered.

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Re: DPR Hates Criticism...
In reply to Heie2, 7 months ago

Get over it people, this is hardly the first Internet forum to get posts deleted, posters banned or censored. With all the whiny gripping, complaining and spamming I'm surprise not more posts are deleted.

awaldram
In reply to Cigarguy, 7 months ago

Cigarguy wrote:

Get over it people, this is hardly the first Internet forum to get posts deleted, posters banned or censored. With all the whiny gripping, complaining and spamming I'm surprise not more posts are deleted.

Agreed volunteer moderators are considerably more lenient than in the good old days

Phil didn't like you you were gone

KL Matt
In reply to awaldram, 7 months ago

Ok sorry about that, didn't mean to make it personal. I take it back. If you would like and would do likewise from your reply I will try to delete my comment.

EDIT: Sorry, it won't let me withdraw or edit that post. It's been more than 5 minutes apparently.

EDIT: So I complained about my own post. Maybe a mod will delete it.

Matt

-- hide signature --

awaldram

KL Matt wrote:

Ok sorry about that, didn't mean to make it personal. I take it back. If you would like and would do likewise from your reply I will try to delete my comment.

Don't worry about it I've been called worse (a lot worse)

EDIT: Sorry, it won't let me withdraw or edit that post. It's been more than 5 minutes apparently.

Yep I hate that especially when I write something then think oh that's not what I meant when reading it back.

But as you pointed out it is what it is and is our choice to be here, Though I don't think we are dpreviews target market.

People who are 'members' already have cameras whereas passing trade is likely to purchase so being owned by a retailer the content should be designed to attract and lead into a purchase on the parent site.

So I suspect moderation of 'negativity' towards Amazon or Dpreview will not be tolerated in the full glare of 'punters' in commments

Matt

-- hide signature --

awaldram

KL Matt wrote:

Now that is cool .

what happens when you click complain one button I've never pressed but itched to.

it like it says 'do not press' you know you wanna

Matt

-- hide signature --

KL Matt

awaldram wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

Now that is cool .

I wondered when I did it how often that's happened before -- someone complaining about their own post. Maybe a first for the respective mod and they get a chuckle? Hope I don't get banned! :-o

Maybe they'll see it as everyone makes mistakes.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Matt

awaldram

KL Matt wrote:

awaldram wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

Now that is cool .

I wondered when I did it how often that's happened before -- someone complaining about their own post. Maybe a first for the respective mod and they get a chuckle? Hope I don't get banned! :-o

Wouldn't think so I was 'riding the horse ' as they say

you'd have to be a lot angrier for a lot longer for that to happen.

If they didn't have a sense of humor I'm sure I'd have been banned many times.

Matt

Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,064Gear list

KL Matt wrote:

We are customers for their advertising. You do know that this site earns advertising revenue, right?

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
NotSteve
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
In reply to Heie2, 7 months ago

Unfortunately, we can't really cite some Landlord-Tenant Act to hold DPR staff to account. I don't like that they've delayed the K-3 review for so long, nor the facebook-style reposting of items on the homepage to generate clicks. The ones that have anything to do with politics, ethics of photography/photojournalism are inevitably glib/superficial.

As far as reviews go, I would say that DPR consider they have certain standards to uphold in terms of the thoroughness, which I think is generally a good thing. And I think whatever the final score, we can say that someone who's come here to check out a review has been provided with useful information. Although we might not agree with the final conclusions and scoring, you know where you stand in relation to the camera.

That being said, maybe they should lighten up because DPR "seems" to be really understaffed for their current business model and the current market. They've established a whole other site dedicated to mobile phones and tablets, which are also very thoroughly reviewed while not keeping up with major stand-alone camera releases. This to me is really overkill. Meanwhile, stand-alone cameras are becoming more and more like your typical consumer electronic goods with shorter and shorter refresh cycles (at least it seems that way to me...). Not to mention how fast new tablets and phones come out.

So really, it seems like they're spreading themselves too thin, but aren't able or don't want to acknowledge or do something about it, leading to frustration all around.

Anyhow, I'm sure others have also noticed that DPR's embargo on linking to pentaxforums.com has ended, at least for now. I wonder whether this is DPR being magnanimous or hoping that more of us head over to PF and stop giving them a hard time here ...

NotSteve's gear list:NotSteve's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 7 months ago

He is not imagining it they can and do reserve the right to delete posts ,furthermore they can revoke your membership.

sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 184

KL Matt wrote:

Matt

Had a mod on one of the cigar forums banned himself then delete his own account accidentally.  Had to get the admin to get himself reinstated.  He likes his pot and was probably high while he was purging our forum of non-active members.

GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,085

awaldram wrote:

Cigarguy wrote:

Agreed volunteer moderators are considerably more lenient than in the good old days

Phil didn't like you you were gone

It's true. I don't know if the "other" Pentax forum would exist right now if it weren't for him banning some respected members of the forum. The volume of posts is way down here from the K10d days. And back then the site went down twice a week

And the less said about the search engine the better.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

KL Matt
In reply to Gary Martin, 7 months ago

Gary Martin wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

We are customers for their advertising.

No, we are most certainly not "customers for their advertising", since that would imply that we purchase advertising from DPReview. That applies to practically no one here (unless of course you are a marketing manager of a camera company or their ad agency, but you can probably count those individuals here on one hand).

I'm not counting the DPR Gear Shop, but you don't mean that anyway. Even if, buying a camera no more entitles you to demanding certain editorial decisions than does ignoring their ads.

Matt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads