DPR Hates Criticism... Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
DPR Hates Criticism...
10 months ago

Interesting discovery this morning: rightfully criticize DPR and your posts are hidden so that they cannot be seen by those whom visit the site without logging in.

Logged in:

Guest view:

Notice my comment is missing immediately after 'pew pew' 's comment.

I didn't have time to look throughout my and others' comment history to see if this is an ongoing trend, but thought it was worth sharing. This is from the recent D5300 review post.

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Need affordable /weather sealing/ in a DSLR you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded
Think there aren't any opportunities to shoot in poor weather, and thus no benefits to weather sealing?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=42338261

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,061Gear list
Re: DPR Hates Criticism...
In reply to Heie2, 10 months ago

Strange, sure it's not just a caching problem in you browser? Would be a sad situation otherwise...

Wim

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,655Gear list
In reply to Ishpuini, 10 months ago

Ishpuini wrote:

Strange, sure it's not just a caching problem in you browser? Would be a sad situation otherwise...

Wim

I think it is a caching problem, and those posts were actually deleted: I can't see them either logged in or not.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Yup, it's happened to me, too
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 10 months ago

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Ishpuini wrote:

Wim

I think it is a caching problem, and those posts were actually deleted: I can't see them either logged in or not.

Alex

They've recently deleted critical posts of mine as well. Well done to Heie for documenting it. It would be ironic if this one were to disappear.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,821Gear list
In reply to Leandros S, 10 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Ishpuini wrote:

Wim

Alex

They've recently deleted critical posts of mine as well. Well done to Heie for documenting it. It would be ironic if this one were to disappear.

Like kids caught with their hands in the candy jar

-- hide signature --

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
beholder3
Regular MemberPosts: 305
censorship and mindset as in North Korea

It really looks like it has been deleted. Save your screenshots.

And I bet within 24 hours you will have a dozen posts here from the North-Korean-Defense-Front-Johns and Extreaterrestrials writing their fingers off to defend this sadness.

Your post was intelligently critical but in no way justifying a deletion.

I bet their defense agents will try to use the old "off topic" trick. If you don't agree with the official policy your opinion is off topic and thus deserves to be delted.

robbo d
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list

+1 happened to me too........pulled them up on their staff picks on the gear of the year .....and the same thing. They generally aren't too bad on their reviews and their scoring system could be pulled up on small discrepancies, but that's human error. I do find a bit too much personal viewpoint on certain facets of photography rather than good old fashioned just present the facts.

They are turning into a DP News rather than good old fashioned "get em out there reviews" and becoming painfully slow and are getting some serious stick nowadays every time they post one..........but yes they are beginning to filter negativity a lot.

I think it's becoming too big for them and their doing too much with the staff they have. Photography Blog puts out very full and comprehensive reviews very quickly, as do other sites. But it's all about site clicks and aren't we all suckers for adding to that

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 255

Their house their rules.  No one forced anyone to be here.

robbo d
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
In reply to Cigarguy, 10 months ago

Cigarguy wrote:

Their house their rules. No one forced anyone to be here.

You are quite simply, correct...........

The changes that have been occurring are becoming more noticeable and the criticism on every review likewise. Whether you like their rules and the way things are going will depend on what your motivation is for being here. For many, I suspect just like the banter and forum of being able to discuss and exchange ideas and the odd photograph.

Some divert into the reviews and concern much on the content.

At the end of the day, I suspect the K3 review is on the way very soon as we have had d5300 and A7r in very short succession. However, what is it going to tell us that we havent already heard and discussed to death in this forum and haven't seen from all the other reviewers that have already completed the task long ago.........the only thing i suspect could be the FLU card. If you have and like or want to buy the K3 or any other camera, just because you can or do, then be happy.

Having said that, I seem to have a thing about mis reporting or mis leading journalism or commenting........my failure.

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
I guess I'm not the only one who noticed.

Heie2 wrote:

Interesting discovery this morning: rightfully criticize DPR and your posts are hidden so that they cannot be seen by those whom visit the site without logging in.

Logged in:

Guest view:

Notice my comment is missing immediately after 'pew pew' 's comment.

I didn't have time to look throughout my and others' comment history to see if this is an ongoing trend, but thought it was worth sharing. This is from the recent D5300 review post.

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Need affordable /weather sealing/ in a DSLR you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded
Think there aren't any opportunities to shoot in poor weather, and thus no benefits to weather sealing?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=42338261

There was another post about asking for a K3 review then. If I remember the poster noted that the D5300 was fine and all but was waiting for a K3 review, there were no other replies but there were up votes and now I can't find that post. The poster was not even criticizing the review or the staff.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
KL Matt
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,249
We should not be spamming all of DPR

The thing is, DPR is already very much aware that Pentax fans are annoyed about no K3 review. We've told them that a bazillion times. They don't need to be informed of this, again, in the Nikon review comments of all places. It's way off topic.

They most likely (and rightfully so IMO) felt this was spamming other forums/brands/reviews. They really should not tolerate that because it lessens the experience for the majority of users. If you want to let them know your opinion about how long they are taking, I would recommend doing so in the Feedback forum, which I have also done. There is already a thread there,with an intelligent and level-headed response from DPR no less.

If we start spamming the entire site, we'll make things worse before we make them better. DPR is in the end just a handful of people who work hard every day and do the best they can. We should not be trying to make their lives more difficult.

I'm sure the K3 review is on its way.

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

Leandros S
Re: We should not be spamming all of DPR
In reply to KL Matt, 10 months ago

KL Matt wrote:

The thing is, DPR is already very much aware that Pentax fans are annoyed about no K3 review. We've told them that a bazillion times. They don't need to be informed of this, again, in the Nikon review comments of all places. It's way off topic.

They most likely (and rightfully so IMO) felt this was spamming other forums/brands/reviews. They really should not tolerate that because it lessens the experience for the majority of users. If you want to let them know your opinion about how long they are taking, I would recommend doing so in the Feedback forum, which I have also done. There is already a thread there,with an intelligent and level-headed response from DPR no less.

If we start spamming the entire site, we'll make things worse before we make them better. DPR is in the end just a handful of people who work hard every day and do the best they can. We should not be trying to make their lives more difficult.

I'm sure the K3 review is on its way.

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

I would agree with you if I thought posting in the feedback forum had any effect. However, my experience shows that even a simple query, with occasional reminders, can take 3 months to get any kind of response on. It so happens that that request was also Pentax-related...

What makes things worse is that there isn't really much discussion in the feedback forum from users either - not anywhere near what you get in any other forum (I think there may be one or two other "sleeper" forums, but you get what I mean).

So the feedback forum seems to have been instituted as a kind of feedback graveyard. A mass grave, perhaps, for brandicide victims. But instead of quietly decomposing, the ignored feedback starts to ferment, and ends in a riot.

The Pentax forum is one of the most active. Quite how Joinson calculated that those users could be painlessly ignored is beyond my ken.

-- hide signature --

steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,219
Tilting at windmills

Every time a new camera of any brand doesn't get an immediate full glowing review the carping starts. I read the same sort of rubbish about DPR bias in lots of forums. This non-existent bias apparently favours Nikon and/or Canon. A recent post in one of those threads did what anyone can do - compare announcement dates with review dates for all brands of cameras. Far from favouring Nikon it looked like they were being ignored. So much for bias.

This topic has been answered honestly and fairly by DPR in the feedback thread mentioned. Dreaming up conspiracy theories isn't going to change reality or accelerate any review process. How could it if every fan of every brand is doing the same whining?

When it comes to censorship remember that this is a private site not a democracy. If you don't like it you are free to leave (unlike some other non-democratic systems!).

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,146Gear list
Re: Tilting at windmills
In reply to steephill, 10 months ago

steephill wrote:

Every time a new camera of any brand doesn't get an immediate full glowing review the carping starts. I read the same sort of rubbish about DPR bias in lots of forums.

I suspect it just 'got' to them, but the DPR staff should deal with this kind of thing as part of the general community banter.

It doesn't exactly counter accusations of bias - however unfounded - if they simply delete critical messages, particularly as, in this case at least, it was a reasonable comment. A two line mollifying response would surely have been as quick as searching and zapping.

-- hide signature --
KL Matt
Re: We should not be spamming all of DPR
In reply to Leandros S, 10 months ago

I would agree with you if I thought posting in the feedback forum had any effect. However, my experience shows that even a simple query, with occasional reminders, can take 3 months to get any kind of response on. It so happens that that request was also Pentax-related...

Well I certainly cannot understand how in the world you would have this impression. Simon Joinson recently replied *at length* to a post in which you brazenly demanded an apology of the DPR staff for running their business the way they see fit. I might refuse to communicate with you or in threads you started entirely in their shoes:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53114057

What makes things worse is that there isn't really much discussion in the feedback forum from users either - not anywhere near what you get in any other forum (I think there may be one or two other "sleeper" forums, but you get what I mean).

So it's not enough for you that you get a direct response from the editor, you also demand public outcry, 'or else'? What if no one else cares that much?

So the feedback forum seems to have been instituted as a kind of feedback graveyard. A mass grave, perhaps, for brandicide victims. But instead of quietly decomposing, the ignored feedback starts to ferment, and ends in a riot.

That's patently ridiculous. They read and reply to those posts in due time despite the often completely inappropriate, entitled and demanding tone of the posts there. I imagine they respond as much as their self-respect allows them to considering.

The Pentax forum is one of the most active. Quite how Joinson calculated that those users could be painlessly ignored is beyond my ken.

You live on a different planet.

Matt

Leandros S
I don't think you understand the full context

KL Matt wrote:

Well I certainly cannot understand how in the world you would have this impression. Simon Joinson recently replied *at length* to a post in which you brazenly demanded an apology of the DPR staff for running their business the way they see fit. I might refuse to communicate with you or in threads you started entirely in their shoes:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53114057

Quick community moderator 101 for you and anybody else that cares: The best way to cause havoc is to delete people's postings. So they actually did something that's worse than what you're advocating. Your choice is second worst.

So it's not enough for you that you get a direct response from the editor, you also demand public outcry, 'or else'? What if no one else cares that much?

What should I do, grovel before the editor? Remember he gets a paycheck because of ad clicks that occur as a by-product of traffic that I (and you, and the next guy) generate on this site, plus the fact that we are "prospects" for purchasing things from the GearShop (not likely that I ever will, but I'm not the only one so that must be assumed accounted for in the spreadsheet).

That's patently ridiculous. They read and reply to those posts in due time despite the often completely inappropriate, entitled and demanding tone of the posts there. I imagine they respond as much as their self-respect allows them to considering.

You live on a different planet.

Matt

Joinson once claimed that he spends hours every night reading posts in the feedback forum. Given how many of those hours must have passed in the three months before he got around to a certain Pentax thread, I think my scepticism of DPR's commitment to the overall feedback exercise is completely justified - as well as my scepticism of anything Mr. Joinson might say.

-- hide signature --

KL Matt
In reply to Model Mike, 10 months ago

Model Mike wrote:

steephill wrote:

Every time a new camera of any brand doesn't get an immediate full glowing review the carping starts. I read the same sort of rubbish about DPR bias in lots of forums.

I suspect it just 'got' to them, but the DPR staff should deal with this kind of thing as part of the general community banter.

Nope, this is more than just banter. Pentax fans have become known across the entire site for spamming other comment threads and forums with griping about perceived slights that no one else cares about. People have openly mocked Pentax fans for this.

It's not just DPR that's fed up with that. Other users actually are too.

This is just embarrassing and should stop immediately. It's just making the entire Pentax community here look like a bunch of crazies.

Matt

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,821Gear list

KL Matt wrote:

Model Mike wrote:

steephill wrote:

Nope, this is more than just banter. Pentax fans have become known across the entire site for spamming other comment threads and forums with griping about perceived slights that no one else cares about. People have openly mocked Pentax fans for this.

This is just embarrassing and should stop immediately. It's just making the entire Pentax community here look like a bunch of crazies.

Matt

Wouldn't the simplest be just to publish the review?

Given they promised high priority in early Jan?

The rampant OT remarks in comments from all forum members I think maybe your applying your angst to 'everyone' that isn't there how would they know I rarley read comments so don't and suspect nobody knows or cares who the 'Pentax fans' are.

I couldn't care either way the only thing that erks me is saying one thing and doing another, Its nonprofessional and leads to miss management of the customers expectations.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
KL Matt
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

The rampant OT remarks in comments from all forum members I think maybe your applying your angst to 'everyone' that isn't there how would they know I rarley read comments so don't and suspect nobody knows or cares who the 'Pentax fans' are.

Whha... HUH? Sorry, I couldn't parse that at all. Are you trying to demonstrate exactly what a Pentax fan foaming at the mouth looks like?

Matt

Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

awaldram wrote:

KL Matt wrote:

Model Mike wrote:

steephill wrote:

Matt

Wouldn't the simplest be just to publish the review?

Given they promised high priority in early Jan?

I couldn't care either way the only thing that erks me is saying one thing and doing another, Its nonprofessional and leads to miss management of the customers expectations.

Well said.  DPR are the ones who can make this question go away but they haven't.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads