Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,831Gear list
Like?
re: also missing (continuing the CONS list)
In reply to plasnu, 7 months ago

plasnu wrote:

I checked 6000 at Sony Store in Tokyo, and I can confirm that 6000 is the best E mount ever made. I don't think someone would choose 7 over 6000 even if they are the same price, but 6000 is actually cheaper.

Positive

1. Faster and too good to be true follow focus.

2. Much faster operation. Powers up much faster, too.

3. Better looking EVF than Nex 6/7, even it is lower resolution. No problem with eyeglasses.

4. Gapless micro lens should lower noise ratio.

5. Way better jpeg, I think.

6. Price.

Negative

1. Looks considerably cheaper than Nex 7. Unmistakably Plastic.

2. I could tell EVF is lower resolution.

3. No Tri Navi.

4. No Level (Confirmed).

5. still only 1/160 sec. flash sync;

6. which in conjunction with still no 1/8000 sec. minimal shutter speed is a bit tough to understand;

7. default 1/60 sec. which is automatically supplied by FW is way too long !!

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

No. When shoot vertically, the camera play back the file vertically. I think the camera still have some kind of device that can tell the camera position when shoot. No level indicator can be displayed on the LCD/EVF. I don't know if the indicator is just disabled, or camera only has a cheap vertical/horizontal position sensor which can't tell the level precisely as the one on NEX-7.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to plasnu, 7 months ago

plasnu wrote:

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

No. When shoot vertically, the camera play back the file vertically. I think the camera still have some kind of device that can tell the camera position when shoot. No level indicator can be displayed on the LCD/EVF. I don't know if the indicator is just disabled, or camera only has a cheap vertical/horizontal position sensor which can't tell the level precisely as the one on NEX-7.

The funny thing is that, although I always use the digital spirit level with my NEX-7, I still often have to straighten images in post-processing, so I think the gauge isn't properly aligned. I find that the level in my RX100 is much more accurate.

 Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,120Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to Digital Nigel, 7 months ago

Digital Nigel wrote:

plasnu wrote:

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

No. When shoot vertically, the camera play back the file vertically. I think the camera still have some kind of device that can tell the camera position when shoot. No level indicator can be displayed on the LCD/EVF. I don't know if the indicator is just disabled, or camera only has a cheap vertical/horizontal position sensor which can't tell the level precisely as the one on NEX-7.

The funny thing is that, although I always use the digital spirit level with my NEX-7, I still often have to straighten images in post-processing, so I think the gauge isn't properly aligned. I find that the level in my RX100 is much more accurate.

I've never had the problem on my NEX-7 but have seen others complain. Does it align when setting it on a level table?

 PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Re: re: also missing (continuing the CONS list)
In reply to jpr2, 7 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

6. which in conjunction with still no 1/8000 sec. minimal shutter speed is a bit tough to understand;

I personally prefer quiet shutter without 1/8000 to louder shutter with 1/8000 option. I think it's hard to make 1/8000 shutter unit without increasing noise level. Do you know any shutter as quiet as NEX-6/7 with 1/8000 option? I don't know any...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KBKB
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

It's a shame about the level, especially since cameras like the RX100 have this functionality.

I really like having a level; while hiking, I often end up in places where the rocks tilt crazily in different directions. My perception of what is horizontal and vertical is often off by quite a lot.

I have pretty much made up my mind that i'm going to get either an A7 or A7r for tripod work. (The other option is to go to full frame DSLR; I'm still pondering this option as well.) I'll continue to use my RX100II and NEX-7 while hiking. My hope is that Sony will release a true NEX-7 replacement at some point in the future.

 KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,120Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to KBKB, 7 months ago

KBKB wrote:

It's a shame about the level, especially since cameras like the RX100 have this functionality.

I really like having a level; while hiking, I often end up in places where the rocks tilt crazily in different directions. My perception of what is horizontal and vertical is often off by quite a lot.

I have pretty much made up my mind that i'm going to get either an A7 or A7r for tripod work. (The other option is to go to full frame DSLR; I'm still pondering this option as well.) I'll continue to use my RX100II and NEX-7 while hiking. My hope is that Sony will release a true NEX-7 replacement at some point in the future.

I agree and canceled my order for the A6000 today with B&H. I'm not ready for full frame with the lenses I've got and will just wait for the next APS-C from Sony that has all the bells/whistles. It's not like I'm shooting action or sports frequently anyway and the NEX-7 has perfectly acceptable and accurate AF with great image quality.

The pricing of the A6000 is starting to make a little more sense. They are eliminating some features in order to make room for a higher end APS-C imho. The absence of the gauge, lower EVF resolution and the mic input are indicating that this as not a replacement for the NEX-7. Oh well.

 PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bparanoid
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to plasnu, 7 months ago

plasnu wrote:

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

No. When shoot vertically, the camera play back the file vertically. I think the camera still have some kind of device that can tell the camera position when shoot. No level indicator can be displayed on the LCD/EVF. I don't know if the indicator is just disabled, or camera only has a cheap vertical/horizontal position sensor which can't tell the level precisely as the one on NEX-7.

So we are assuming the A6000 is equipped with proper hardware for this feature but Sony decided to not include the programming. What were they thinking?

What are the chances this will show up on Sony's PlayMemories as a purchasable app?

 bparanoid's gear list:bparanoid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to bparanoid, 7 months ago

bparanoid wrote:

plasnu wrote:

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

No. When shoot vertically, the camera play back the file vertically. I think the camera still have some kind of device that can tell the camera position when shoot. No level indicator can be displayed on the LCD/EVF. I don't know if the indicator is just disabled, or camera only has a cheap vertical/horizontal position sensor which can't tell the level precisely as the one on NEX-7.

So we are assuming the A6000 is equipped with proper hardware for this feature but Sony decided to not include the programming. What were they thinking?

What are the chances this will show up on Sony's PlayMemories as a purchasable app?

Extra $5 for the level? LOL.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

KBKB wrote:

It's a shame about the level, especially since cameras like the RX100 have this functionality.

I really like having a level; while hiking, I often end up in places where the rocks tilt crazily in different directions. My perception of what is horizontal and vertical is often off by quite a lot.

I have pretty much made up my mind that i'm going to get either an A7 or A7r for tripod work. (The other option is to go to full frame DSLR; I'm still pondering this option as well.) I'll continue to use my RX100II and NEX-7 while hiking. My hope is that Sony will release a true NEX-7 replacement at some point in the future.

I agree and canceled my order for the A6000 today with B&H. I'm not ready for full frame with the lenses I've got and will just wait for the next APS-C from Sony that has all the bells/whistles. It's not like I'm shooting action or sports frequently anyway and the NEX-7 has perfectly acceptable and accurate AF with great image quality.

The pricing of the A6000 is starting to make a little more sense. They are eliminating some features in order to make room for a higher end APS-C imho. The absence of the gauge, lower EVF resolution and the mic input are indicating that this as not a replacement for the NEX-7. Oh well.

The lack of a level makes no sense, as the A6000 is a replacement for the NEX 6 (and 7 at least for now) and a nice level is included with the 6.  Possibly this may only be a firmware issue and can be addressed.

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KBKB
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

KBKB wrote:

It's a shame about the level, especially since cameras like the RX100 have this functionality.

I really like having a level; while hiking, I often end up in places where the rocks tilt crazily in different directions. My perception of what is horizontal and vertical is often off by quite a lot.

I have pretty much made up my mind that i'm going to get either an A7 or A7r for tripod work. (The other option is to go to full frame DSLR; I'm still pondering this option as well.) I'll continue to use my RX100II and NEX-7 while hiking. My hope is that Sony will release a true NEX-7 replacement at some point in the future.

I agree and canceled my order for the A6000 today with B&H. I'm not ready for full frame with the lenses I've got and will just wait for the next APS-C from Sony that has all the bells/whistles. It's not like I'm shooting action or sports frequently anyway and the NEX-7 has perfectly acceptable and accurate AF with great image quality.

The pricing of the A6000 is starting to make a little more sense. They are eliminating some features in order to make room for a higher end APS-C imho. The absence of the gauge, lower EVF resolution and the mic input are indicating that this as not a replacement for the NEX-7. Oh well.

That's my conclusion too.

It makes sense for them to stay quiet about plans for a higher end APS-C E-mount camera.  If they say anything, this could eat into their sales of the A6000 as well as the A7 and A7r.  (I'm sure something like this has been said already in this thread.  I've lost track of what's already been said here.)

 KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,831Gear list
Like?
re: 1/8000 sec and quiet?
In reply to plasnu, 7 months ago

plasnu wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

6. which in conjunction with still no 1/8000 sec. minimal shutter speed is a bit tough to understand;

I personally prefer quiet shutter without 1/8000 to louder shutter with 1/8000 option. I think it's hard to make 1/8000 shutter unit without increasing noise level. Do you know any shutter as quiet as NEX-6/7 with 1/8000 option? I don't know any...

yes, when you apply MLU I-st, then 1/8000 sec. on many DSLRs is pretty quiet, but perhaps it might be due to a larger mass - dampening sound better that the small MILC body resonator?

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Re: re: 1/8000 sec and quiet?
In reply to jpr2, 7 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

plasnu wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

6. which in conjunction with still no 1/8000 sec. minimal shutter speed is a bit tough to understand;

I personally prefer quiet shutter without 1/8000 to louder shutter with 1/8000 option. I think it's hard to make 1/8000 shutter unit without increasing noise level. Do you know any shutter as quiet as NEX-6/7 with 1/8000 option? I don't know any...

yes, when you apply MLU I-st, then 1/8000 sec. on many DSLRs is pretty quiet, but perhaps it might be due to a larger mass - dampening sound better that the small MILC body resonator?

jpr2

Quite possibly, or CN know something that Sony doesn't know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Dealbreaker for me
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Per a customer support chat session just now, the level gauge is gone on the A6000. Too bad and I must be one of the few that rely on this feature. Other posters here seem disinterested in this capability.

Question:

I'm interested in the A6000 but can't find that it has a leveling gauge for the LCD. Both the A3000 and A5000 have this feature. Can you confirm that it IS NOT on this new camera?

Answer:

Upon checking the a6000 has no digital level gauge.

I also was getting ready to put the money down on an A6000 because of the faster AF (including in AF-S which there was a panic over) and some of the other goodies, but not now.  The level-guage was the only thing that stopped me selling my NEX-5R for an NEX-5N (prefer the metal build, visible silver buttons, better LCD/touchscreen and sensible strap lugs on the 5N).  I use the level-guage a lot and it has increased my 'keeper' rate enormously

If the feature really is missing off the final camera then I'm not interested in it

Now I will keep my NEX-5R (with level-guage) instead.  I may get the A77 replacement if (?) it eventually appears and offers good AF, otherwise I will sell my long Sony glass and move to Canon for telephoto stuff and keep my NEX for walkabout (sad)

I don't understand why this feature was missed off either

- Did they forget? (Sony are getting *really* sloppy recently with pricing and website mistakes and all these problems with the A7 so I guess this is possible)

- Did a product manager deliberately sabotage the model so that it wouldn't have better sales that the FF bodies? (Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of unhealthy rivalry within Sony that only damages their relations with their clients)

- Were they so keen to make a profit that the position sensor was missed off? (I guess the part has a component cost of less than $1 = $5 max impact on price - probably less).  Doesn't bode well for the construction quality of the rest of the camera if this is the case (see A7 for more examples...)

I also don't understand why other posters aren't interested.  I guess many of them simply aren't using a lot of their camera's features

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to Euell, 7 months ago

Euell wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

KBKB wrote:

It's a shame about the level, especially since cameras like the RX100 have this functionality.

I really like having a level; while hiking, I often end up in places where the rocks tilt crazily in different directions. My perception of what is horizontal and vertical is often off by quite a lot.

I have pretty much made up my mind that i'm going to get either an A7 or A7r for tripod work. (The other option is to go to full frame DSLR; I'm still pondering this option as well.) I'll continue to use my RX100II and NEX-7 while hiking. My hope is that Sony will release a true NEX-7 replacement at some point in the future.

I agree and canceled my order for the A6000 today with B&H. I'm not ready for full frame with the lenses I've got and will just wait for the next APS-C from Sony that has all the bells/whistles. It's not like I'm shooting action or sports frequently anyway and the NEX-7 has perfectly acceptable and accurate AF with great image quality.

The pricing of the A6000 is starting to make a little more sense. They are eliminating some features in order to make room for a higher end APS-C imho. The absence of the gauge, lower EVF resolution and the mic input are indicating that this as not a replacement for the NEX-7. Oh well.

The lack of a level makes no sense, as the A6000 is a replacement for the NEX 6 (and 7 at least for now) and a nice level is included with the 6. Possibly this may only be a firmware issue and can be addressed.

It needs position sensors in order to achieve this capability.  Maybe they are built into and existing chip, but more likely these are a discrete component

If that is the case and the discrete component has not been included then no firmware update will be possible

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to plasnu, 7 months ago

plasnu wrote:

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

No. When shoot vertically, the camera play back the file vertically. I think the camera still have some kind of device that can tell the camera position when shoot. No level indicator can be displayed on the LCD/EVF. I don't know if the indicator is just disabled, or camera only has a cheap vertical/horizontal position sensor which can't tell the level precisely as the one on NEX-7.

That is simply a mercury switch and not a position sensor.  It is a tiny glass bulb with a drop of mercury... in one orientation the mercury makes contact between two pins, and in the other orientation there is no contact.  Maybe new laws make mercury illegal and they are using something else but the principle will be the same...

Those have been on digital cameras for years (unless the camera was really cheap, in which case it was missed off)

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

plasnu wrote:

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

No. When shoot vertically, the camera play back the file vertically. I think the camera still have some kind of device that can tell the camera position when shoot. No level indicator can be displayed on the LCD/EVF. I don't know if the indicator is just disabled, or camera only has a cheap vertical/horizontal position sensor which can't tell the level precisely as the one on NEX-7.

The funny thing is that, although I always use the digital spirit level with my NEX-7, I still often have to straighten images in post-processing, so I think the gauge isn't properly aligned. I find that the level in my RX100 is much more accurate.

I've never had the problem on my NEX-7 but have seen others complain. Does it align when setting it on a level table?

Yes, it does, but I notice that you can tilt it more one way than the other with the level markers staying green. In other words, there's quite a bit of slack, and the range isn't centred on true level. I don't think it's possible to manually adjust it.

 Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to parallaxproblem, 7 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

Euell wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

KBKB wrote:

It's a shame about the level, especially since cameras like the RX100 have this functionality.

I really like having a level; while hiking, I often end up in places where the rocks tilt crazily in different directions. My perception of what is horizontal and vertical is often off by quite a lot.

I have pretty much made up my mind that i'm going to get either an A7 or A7r for tripod work. (The other option is to go to full frame DSLR; I'm still pondering this option as well.) I'll continue to use my RX100II and NEX-7 while hiking. My hope is that Sony will release a true NEX-7 replacement at some point in the future.

I agree and canceled my order for the A6000 today with B&H. I'm not ready for full frame with the lenses I've got and will just wait for the next APS-C from Sony that has all the bells/whistles. It's not like I'm shooting action or sports frequently anyway and the NEX-7 has perfectly acceptable and accurate AF with great image quality.

The pricing of the A6000 is starting to make a little more sense. They are eliminating some features in order to make room for a higher end APS-C imho. The absence of the gauge, lower EVF resolution and the mic input are indicating that this as not a replacement for the NEX-7. Oh well.

The lack of a level makes no sense, as the A6000 is a replacement for the NEX 6 (and 7 at least for now) and a nice level is included with the 6. Possibly this may only be a firmware issue and can be addressed.

It needs position sensors in order to achieve this capability. Maybe they are built into and existing chip, but more likely these are a discrete component

If that is the case and the discrete component has not been included then no firmware update will be possible

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

If that is the case

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
louisjaffe
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to 1prime, 7 months ago

Not to minimize others' concerns, but by far the most important question to me is whether the A6000 will do better in low light than the NEX-7. Lenses good enough to take full advantage of the NEX-7 sensor are rare enough, but with them, at low ISO, it's a phenomenal image maker. Above 800 ISO, though, the noise is hard to handle. If I could gain one stop or more of low-light ability with the new camera, I'd buy one and keep the 7 as a second body. - LJ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,438
Like?
A6000 obsoletes NEX-7
In reply to 1prime, 7 months ago

AF, sensor, and processor advantages. wifi advantages

Tri- navi is just a style thing that may never return.  Then there are N7 lovers who don't want to see the truth and hang out on these forums.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads