Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: AF lock?
In reply to wictred, 10 months ago

see http://store.sony.com/mirrorless-dslr-camera-zid27-ILCE6000/B/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-a6000-Cameras?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

quote:

• Focus Features : Lock-on AF, Eye AF, Predictive control, Focus lock, AF illuminator (with Built-in LED type) Approx. range; 0.3- approx. 3.0m (with E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)

I think another term for object tracking. Its there on RX10 too. The camera will maintain focus on a moving subject.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 10 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

see http://store.sony.com/mirrorless-dslr-camera-zid27-ILCE6000/B/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-a6000-Cameras?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

quote:

• Focus Features : Lock-on AF, Eye AF, Predictive control, Focus lock, AF illuminator (with Built-in LED type) Approx. range; 0.3- approx. 3.0m (with E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)

I think another term for object tracking. Its there on RX10 too. The camera will maintain focus on a moving subject.

but that is "Lock-on AF", isn't it?

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +3 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to wictred, 10 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

quote:

but that is "Lock-on AF", isn't it?

Might be the same thing. Unless it is an additional feature like Focus Hold (assignable to a button) which I doubt.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
David Smith - Photographer
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
I hope the high ISO performance is better then the NEX-7
In reply to 1prime, 10 months ago

Lots of detail (with the right lens) but also a lot of noise in the NEX-7 images. Anything above ISO400 looks terrible. I hope the high ISO performance is better then the NEX-7. I guess we'll have to wait for a couple of months.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,598Gear list
Like?
Re: I hope the high ISO performance is better then the NEX-7
In reply to David Smith - Photographer, 10 months ago

David Smith - Photographer wrote:

Lots of detail (with the right lens) but also a lot of noise in the NEX-7 images. Anything above ISO400 looks terrible. I hope the high ISO performance is better then the NEX-7. I guess we'll have to wait for a couple of months.

In most respects the NEX-7 was an amazing camera for it's time, except for one thing. The sensor was lifted out of the A77, a long-register SLT model. All cameras of the series have not had the the lens adaptation and other problems since that time. And that will certainly hold true for the brand-new sensor in the A6000.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
AlanLawr
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to 1prime, 9 months ago

I was at WPPI this week and Sony had the A6000 on display so I got to hold and shoot it.  It's amazing.  The auto-focus is unbelievable.  The Sony people flat out told me that there is nothing that the NEX-7 does better than the A6000 and that the A6000 is better in every way.  It sure felt better in the hand than my NEX-7.  I've already sold my NEX-7 in anticipation of the A6000 which ships in two weeks.  The Sony reps told me to dump the NEX-7 while I can!

Photostyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 558
Like?
In reply to AlanLawr, 9 months ago

AlanLawr wrote:

I was at WPPI this week and Sony had the A6000 on display so I got to hold and shoot it. It's amazing. The auto-focus is unbelievable. The Sony people flat out told me that there is nothing that the NEX-7 does better than the A6000 and that the A6000 is better in every way. It sure felt better in the hand than my NEX-7. I've already sold my NEX-7 in anticipation of the A6000 which ships in two weeks. The Sony reps told me to dump the NEX-7 while I can!

Why does it feel better in hand than the NEX7 ? to me it seems to have the same ergonomic's ore am I wrong ?

Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, 9 months ago

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

much faster AF on the A6000

can you say that with my Sigma AF lenses?

Probably not any slower.

but whats the point of changing if it isn't actually faster? seriously, if you take away the faster AF what does the A6000 offer that I don't already have? and what would I loose like the EVF resolution and no mic input?

seriously, at this point we don't even know which sensor is better - at low ISO without the pdaf pixels there is a very reasonable chance that the NEX-7 sensor might actually perform better

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.  The NEX 7 is way out of date now. Technology does not move backwards. The A6000 would not sell if bested by a much older model, now would it?

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
KBKB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?
In reply to AlanLawr, 9 months ago

AlanLawr wrote:

The Sony people flat out told me that there is nothing that the NEX-7 does better than the A6000 and that the A6000 is better in every way.

What else would you expect them to say? Their goal is to sell as many new cameras as they can.

Wouldn't you say that the NEX-7's interface is better for a manual mode shooter? Access to all three exposure parameters are available at the turn of a knob or dial.

KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to Euell, 9 months ago

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Probably not any slower.

but whats the point of changing if it isn't actually faster? seriously, if you take away the faster AF what does the A6000 offer that I don't already have? and what would I loose like the EVF resolution and no mic input?

seriously, at this point we don't even know which sensor is better - at low ISO without the pdaf pixels there is a very reasonable chance that the NEX-7 sensor might actually perform better

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. The NEX 7 is way out of date now. Technology does not move backwards. The A6000 would not sell if bested by a much older model, now would it?

A big deficit for me at this point is the lack of a leveling gauge on the A6000. I was all on board a couple days ago to get one but am now waiting to see if this feature is really missing. The A3000 and A5000 have it but there is no example image/screen shot out there showing the gauge so far and the specs from the published manual indicate it's gone. It doesn't make sense and I hope it's just an oversight or the prototype didn't have it for display yet.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,009Gear list
Like?
re: DITTO (n/t)
In reply to KBKB, 9 months ago

jpr2

AlanLawr
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
In reply to Photostyle, 9 months ago

Why does it feel better in hand than the NEX7 ? to me it seems to have the same ergonomic's ore am I wrong ?

For me, it felt like the grip was just a tad bigger which made it more comfortable for my hand.  Everyone will be different.

PVCdroid
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 9 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Probably not any slower.

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. The NEX 7 is way out of date now. Technology does not move backwards. The A6000 would not sell if bested by a much older model, now would it?

A big deficit for me at this point is the lack of a leveling gauge on the A6000. I was all on board a couple days ago to get one but am now waiting to see if this feature is really missing. The A3000 and A5000 have it but there is no example image/screen shot out there showing the gauge so far and the specs from the published manual indicate it's gone. It doesn't make sense and I hope it's just an oversight or the prototype didn't have it for display yet.

Per a customer support chat session just now, the level gauge is gone on the A6000. Too bad and I must be one of the few that rely on this feature. Other posters here seem disinterested in this capability.

Question:

I'm interested in the A6000 but can't find that it has a leveling gauge for the LCD. Both the A3000 and A5000 have this feature. Can you confirm that it IS NOT on this new camera?

Answer:

Upon checking the a6000 has no digital level gauge.

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Probably not any slower.

Per a customer support chat session just now, the level gauge is gone on the A6000. Too bad and I must be one of the few that rely on this feature. Other posters here seem disinterested in this capability.

Question:

I'm interested in the A6000 but can't find that it has a leveling gauge for the LCD. Both the A3000 and A5000 have this feature. Can you confirm that it IS NOT on this new camera?

Answer:

A digital level is admittedly a useful feature on a camera. However:

1) I have shot for years without one...

2) I have shot the NEX-5N for a couple of years without one...

3) I shoot my Canon 6D through the OVF 95% of time, where the digital level is not available...

4) For even tripodded-and-digital-leveled (and often bubble-leveled as well) landscape stuff I shoot with the 6D... I still have to fine-correct in PP, as the levels are rarely precise enough for my tastes.

Therefore not having a digital level is not a big deal for me, even though I would like one. I suspect people "disinterested in this capability" might be coming from a similar direction.

Aside from the lens-side of the equation, the core functionality of a modern camera is its sensor capabilities and its autofocus system. Being that both of these are supposed to be significantly improved on the A6000 over any of its predecessors, it's a no-brainer.

To me, IMHO, to consider it a deal-breaker is to reject a newer model of a sports car with more power and better handling because it lost the cup-holders of the previous model. Sure, to also have the cup-holders would be nice... but it's ancillary... and ultimately, expendable.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
bparanoid
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Probably not any slower.

Question:

Answer:

This makes no sense at all. Hopefully this is a case where the CS is just misinformed.

bparanoid's gear list:bparanoid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
In reply to 5nex7, 9 months ago

I checked 6000 at Sony Store in Tokyo, and I can confirm that 6000 is the best E mount ever made. I don't think someone would choose 7 over 6000 even if they are the same price, but 6000 is actually cheaper.

Positive

1. Faster and too good to be true follow focus.

2. Much faster operation. Powers up much faster, too.

3. Better looking EVF than Nex 6/7, even it is lower resolution. No problem with eyeglasses.

4. Gapless micro lens should lower noise ratio.

5. Way better jpeg, I think.

6. Price.

Negative

1. Looks considerably cheaper than Nex 7. Unmistakably Plastic.

2. I could tell EVF is lower resolution.

3. No Tri Navi.

4 No Level (Confirmed).

plasnu
Like?
In reply to plasnu, 9 months ago

I asked if they would release 7000, but no definitive answer, of course. I feel that they would in the future, but I believe 6000 will be the best selling NEX ever (it is actually no more NEX, though), so they may not release 7000 this year. Or they would release 6000R, with better EVF, level, no LPF.

PVCdroid
Like?
In reply to bparanoid, 9 months ago

bparanoid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Probably not any slower.

Question:

Answer:

This makes no sense at all. Hopefully this is a case where the CS is just misinformed.

Alin who tested the prototype confirmed it wasn't there as well but I'm not sure why he didn't mention it in his review. The DPReview first impressions review missed it as well. I'm disappointed.

plasnu
Like?

PVCdroid wrote:

bparanoid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Probably not any slower.

Question:

Answer:

Alin who tested the prototype confirmed it wasn't there as well but I'm not sure why he didn't mention it in his review. The DPReview first impressions review missed it as well. I'm disappointed.

There is no level on 6000. I checked it at the Sony Store. It can still tell Vertical/Horizontal position automatically, though.

PVCdroid
Like?
In reply to plasnu, 9 months ago

plasnu wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

bparanoid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Probably not any slower.

Question:

Answer:

There is no level on 6000. I checked it at the Sony Store. It can still tell Vertical/Horizontal position automatically, though.

How is it determining the vertical/horizontal position without the level without the gauge? Are you just talking about the gridlines?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads