Does the IQ outweigh the slow AF of G!-1x

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
rkhndjr
Forum ProPosts: 12,262
Like?
Does the IQ outweigh the slow AF of G!-1x
5 months ago

I have been pondering a camera some time. I have a LX3 which is just great but I would like one more good camera. The talk of slow AF and poor close focusing seem to be the main complaints I read and those are not a problem for me. How do you owners feel about the camera? Are you happy. does it satisfy your needs? Please make any suggestions you feel will help me. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith
Eternity was in that moment.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,689Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the IQ outweigh the slow AF of G!-1x
In reply to rkhndjr, 5 months ago

rkhndjr wrote:

I have been pondering a camera some time. I have a LX3 which is just great but I would like one more good camera. The talk of slow AF and poor close focusing seem to be the main complaints I read and those are not a problem for me. How do you owners feel about the camera? Are you happy. does it satisfy your needs? Please make any suggestions you feel will help me. Thanks.

IMHO, the G1X is still without peer for image quality in a small package...at its price point. It's hands down an excellent camera. Regarding macros, it's not a matter of poor close focusing as it is a design matter. Macros were not designed into the camera as a native strength. It's not an inability to perform design specs. That stated, macros can certainly be taken but with the aid of a close-up lens. If macros are an important area of interest, the G1X might not be the best choice. Other than that it's superb.

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,108Gear list
Like?

Hi Russell,

I have a G1X (the original version) and don't hold the slightly jaundiced view of it that Year77 holds. Most owners seem to like it and appreciate the IQ as long as you accept a few foibles. I've found it an excellent go-to and travel and hiking camera.

• It's AF is indeed slowish, certainly compared to any DSLR, and it's between shot times are long. OTOH I find the AF very reliable and accurate.
  • Macro focusing is not a "joke" - it just isn't a design feature of the camera. That's down to the larger sensor, its focal lengths and the extension needed to get macro. It's sensor is almost APSC - and like an APSC DSLR, you would need an attached dioptre lens or dedicated macro lens to get close focusing. And if you do attach a Canon 250D, you won't get 1:1, but you will get excellent close focusing shots.
  • There are a few other things..... The OVF shows only 80% of the FOV. It's too easy to inadvertently activate the video button. Custom settings don't apply in RAW+jpeg. And you'll need a small filter thread adapter to take filters.

If you can live with these few things - and many can - the G1X's IQ exceeds that of any other camera that I know of that isn't actually APSC. It's sensor and lens are excellent and deliver very even performance across the FL and aperture range. A short visit to the DPR IQ comparator will show that the G1X has better IQ than the Sony RX100. It's chief advantage over smaller sensor cameras is low noise. It's a well built, reliable and glitch free camera. It also uses a leaf shutter and is an extremely quiet camera.

The EOS M that Year77 refers to is full APSC. They're very different cameras. The M is a MILC with no eye level VF, a touch screen and a very limited range of lenses compared to other MILCs. Canon don't appear to be developing the system any time soon and its price has fallen. The original G1X is a fixed zoom compact with a level of external control. Which appeals to you is a personal question. The EOS M prices have already bottomed out. The G1X Mark 1 prices may fall given the recent announcement of the Mark II. Keep your eye on the sales.....

It would be well worthwhile also considering the new G1X Mark II. It will be dearer than both the M and the Mark 1, but the lens alone and the fact that they've addressed most of the quirks of the earlier camera, may make it better than both. That assumes that you can live with a touch screen and either LCD viewing or and external EVF.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to Jim, 5 months ago

Jim wrote:

rkhndjr wrote:

IMHO, the G1X is still without peer for image quality in a small package...at its price point. It's hands down an excellent camera. Regarding macros, it's not a matter of poor close focusing as it is a design matter. Macros were not designed into the camera as a native strength. It's not an inability to perform design specs. That stated, macros can certainly be taken but with the aid of a close-up lens. If macros are an important area of interest, the G1X might not be the best choice. Other than that it's superb.

Thank you, Jim. I use the LX3 for macros and it is hard to beat.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 5 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Russell,

I have a G1X (the original version) and don't hold the slightly jaundiced view of it that Year77 holds. Most owners seem to like it and appreciate the IQ as long as you accept a few foibles. I've found it an excellent go-to and travel and hiking camera.

• It's AF is indeed slowish, certainly compared to any DSLR, and it's between shot times are long. OTOH I find the AF very reliable and accurate.
  • Macro focusing is not a "joke" - it just isn't a design feature of the camera. That's down to the larger sensor, its focal lengths and the extension needed to get macro. It's sensor is almost APSC - and like an APSC DSLR, you would need an attached dioptre lens or dedicated macro lens to get close focusing. And if you do attach a Canon 250D, you won't get 1:1, but you will get excellent close focusing shots.
  • There are a few other things..... The OVF shows only 80% of the FOV. It's too easy to inadvertently activate the video button. Custom settings don't apply in RAW+jpeg. And you'll need a small filter thread adapter to take filters.

If you can live with these few things - and many can - the G1X's IQ exceeds that of any other camera that I know of that isn't actually APSC. It's sensor and lens are excellent and deliver very even performance across the FL and aperture range. A short visit to the DPR IQ comparator will show that the G1X has better IQ than the Sony RX100. It's chief advantage over smaller sensor cameras is low noise. It's a well built, reliable and glitch free camera. It also uses a leaf shutter and is an extremely quiet camera.

The EOS M that Year77 refers to is full APSC. They're very different cameras. The M is a MILC with no eye level VF, a touch screen and a very limited range of lenses compared to other MILCs. Canon don't appear to be developing the system any time soon and its price has fallen. The original G1X is a fixed zoom compact with a level of external control. Which appeals to you is a personal question. The EOS M prices have already bottomed out. The G1X Mark 1 prices may fall given the recent announcement of the Mark II. Keep your eye on the sales.....

It would be well worthwhile also considering the new G1X Mark II. It will be dearer than both the M and the Mark 1, but the lens alone and the fact that they've addressed most of the quirks of the earlier camera, may make it better than both. That assumes that you can live with a touch screen and either LCD viewing or and external EVF.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

Many thanks, Rod. First, I do not care for touch screens, have never used one and could possibly get used to one but the desire is not strong:-)) The Mark 11 is rather expensive for me and I really want one of some kind now. I have told this  before but my wife died in September and I have had a very bad time. Hopefully a new camera will give me some way to pass time in the house while I am alone each day.

Cheers, Rod

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,232Gear list
Like?
Yes it does Russ

Yes it does Russ .. the IQ especially in RAW is superb , I`ve had mine Two years , got it when it first came out and have put nearly 18,000 shots on it for both work (Costiume shoots for theatre and sillent auditorium shooting) and play (carryabout with DSLR quality) and there`s still not a cam I`d change it for including the new handling challenged MkII .. it`s looking shiny and starting to get brassed too , no scratches or dents or lettering missing , no dust in the lens or on the sensor, no funny noises etc, the screen hasn`t come loose and I use the swivel a lot , it works as well as the say I bought it ..

I`ve got the EOS-M which due to the 22mm Prime is sharper than the G1X and amazingly is a bit noisier at high ISOs (no doubt a heat thing as the M is almost as small as an S90) , the sensor is basically the same - the G1X`s senseor is basically a 1.5" / 14Mp chunk of 550D sensor so the pixel pitch is the same . I like the M as with the adapter on it gives me a pocket backup to the 1DS-III at weddings and shoots superb video for facebook 2 min clips for brides, with the 22mm on it makes a better GR / Coolpix-A type cam ...  but the G1X has it beat allways apart from absolute rez at low ISOs and lens changeability

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,293Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes it does Russ
In reply to AdamT, 5 months ago

AdamT wrote:

Yes it does Russ .. the IQ especially in RAW is superb , I`ve had mine Two years , got it when it first came out and have put nearly 18,000 shots on it for both work (Costiume shoots for theatre and sillent auditorium shooting) and play (carryabout with DSLR quality) and there`s still not a cam I`d change it for including the new handling challenged MkII .. it`s looking shiny and starting to get brassed too , no scratches or dents or lettering missing , no dust in the lens or on the sensor, no funny noises etc, the screen hasn`t come loose and I use the swivel a lot , it works as well as the say I bought it ..

I`ve got the EOS-M which due to the 22mm Prime is sharper than the G1X and amazingly is a bit noisier at high ISOs (no doubt a heat thing as the M is almost as small as an S90) , the sensor is basically the same - the G1X`s senseor is basically a 1.5" / 14Mp chunk of 550D sensor so the pixel pitch is the same . I like the M as with the adapter on it gives me a pocket backup to the 1DS-III at weddings and shoots superb video for facebook 2 min clips for brides, with the 22mm on it makes a better GR / Coolpix-A type cam ... but the G1X has it beat allways apart from absolute rez at low ISOs and lens changeability

-- hide signature --

I pretty much concur with everything that's said here. There is no other camera near it's size that is better for overall image quality in my experience and I've had the OMD E-M5 and EOS-M. You need to put the best lenses available on them to compete with the G1X. In the case of the E-M5 that would be the Panasonic 12-35mm/Olympus 12-40mm and in the case of the EOS-M that would be the 22mm. In both those cases they don't have the range or versatility of the G1X with those lenses and the oly/Panasonic zooms cost way more than the G1X mk1 on its own.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to AdamT, 5 months ago

AdamT wrote:

Yes it does Russ .. the IQ especially in RAW is superb , I`ve had mine Two years , got it when it first came out and have put nearly 18,000 shots on it for both work (Costiume shoots for theatre and sillent auditorium shooting) and play (carryabout with DSLR quality) and there`s still not a cam I`d change it for including the new handling challenged MkII .. it`s looking shiny and starting to get brassed too , no scratches or dents or lettering missing , no dust in the lens or on the sensor, no funny noises etc, the screen hasn`t come loose and I use the swivel a lot , it works as well as the say I bought it ..

I`ve got the EOS-M which due to the 22mm Prime is sharper than the G1X and amazingly is a bit noisier at high ISOs (no doubt a heat thing as the M is almost as small as an S90) , the sensor is basically the same - the G1X`s senseor is basically a 1.5" / 14Mp chunk of 550D sensor so the pixel pitch is the same . I like the M as with the adapter on it gives me a pocket backup to the 1DS-III at weddings and shoots superb video for facebook 2 min clips for brides, with the 22mm on it makes a better GR / Coolpix-A type cam ... but the G1X has it beat allways apart from absolute rez at low ISOs and lens changeability

Thank you so much. Have not seen your name around lately and it is always good to get your expert opinions, and I mean that. G1X it is for me then.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, 5 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

AdamT wrote:

-- hide signature --

I pretty much concur with everything that's said here. There is no other camera near it's size that is better for overall image quality in my experience and I've had the OMD E-M5 and EOS-M. You need to put the best lenses available on them to compete with the G1X. In the case of the E-M5 that would be the Panasonic 12-35mm/Olympus 12-40mm and in the case of the EOS-M that would be the 22mm. In both those cases they don't have the range or versatility of the G1X with those lenses and the oly/Panasonic zooms cost way more than the G1X mk1 on its own.

Many thanks, Tony. I always value your opinion and am convinced the G1X is what I am getting.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,293Gear list
Like?

rkhndjr wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

AdamT wrote:

-- hide signature --

Many thanks, Tony. I always value your opinion and am convinced the G1X is what I am getting.

No problem, as long as you don't mind the slower AF (doesn't bother me) you can't go wrong, it's a cracking camera. Sorry to read about your wife, best of luck to you moving forward.

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
frameman
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?

I have the D-Lux 4, basicly an LX3, and I have tested the G1X. The focusing speed is about the same, the high ISO G1X files knock spots off the LX3, the G1X swivel screen is invaluable. Now don't get me wrong there are times when the D Lux 4 blows my mind, and as you say the macro is superb but where things are really different is in the files themselves. D Lux4 files in raw and jpg will only stand so much working before they break, the G1X files will take as much working as my Canon 600D files. Now I have been waiting for the G1X II but at it's release price + extras it takes the edge off the camera. I will probably get the G1X and keep the 600D as well. The G1X is a very good camera, IQ, high ISO and size are it's strengths, you will not be disappointed with the G1X  you will just need to shoot a slightly different way and be amazed.

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, 5 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

rkhndjr wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

AdamT wrote:

-- hide signature --

No problem, as long as you don't mind the slower AF (doesn't bother me) you can't go wrong, it's a cracking camera. Sorry to read about your wife, best of luck to you moving forward.

Thank you. I am moving , but slowly. Hoping some toy such as the G1X will help a bit.

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

-- hide signature --

Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to frameman, 5 months ago

frameman wrote:

I have the D-Lux 4, basicly an LX3, and I have tested the G1X. The focusing speed is about the same, the high ISO G1X files knock spots off the LX3, the G1X swivel screen is invaluable. Now don't get me wrong there are times when the D Lux 4 blows my mind, and as you say the macro is superb but where things are really different is in the files themselves. D Lux4 files in raw and jpg will only stand so much working before they break, the G1X files will take as much working as my Canon 600D files. Now I have been waiting for the G1X II but at it's release price + extras it takes the edge off the camera. I will probably get the G1X and keep the 600D as well. The G1X is a very good camera, IQ, high ISO and size are it's strengths, you will not be disappointed with the G1X you will just need to shoot a slightly different way and be amazed.

Thank you for this encouraging reply. It sure helped me.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,232Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the kind words Russ

-- hide signature --

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?
Sent you a PM..... nt
-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
kordics
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
Yes It Does!

rkhndjr,

Canon G1X is fantastic camera, capable of producing wonderful photos when it is operated by a good photographer. I also have had worries about its slow AF, but in the real situations it was not that much limiting... Image quality is superb for a small camera. I brought it as my all around camera, beside my 5D MK II & 6D and I'm looking forward to update it with G1X Mk II.

Bellow you will find some of my favourite G1X photos.

Tanti saluti,
Stevan Kordić
www.stevan-kordic.com

Patrol

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore...

Dock

On Watch

Out of Blue I

Musts

kordics's gear list:kordics's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D
mcslsk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019Gear list
Like?

Yes, IQ is outstanding. AF is not slow, it is the shutter lack and overall responsiveness that is difficult in some situations.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
rkhndjr
Like?
Re: Yes It Does!
In reply to kordics, 5 months ago

kordics wrote:

rkhndjr,

Canon G1X is fantastic camera, capable of producing wonderful photos when it is operated by a good photographer. I also have had worries about its slow AF, but in the real situations it was not that much limiting... Image quality is superb for a small camera. I brought it as my all around camera, beside my 5D MK II & 6D and I'm looking forward to update it with G1X Mk II.

Bellow you will find some of my favourite G1X photos.

If nothing else  your pictures convinced me, Stevan. Thank you, and good luck.

Tanti saluti,
Stevan Kordić
www.stevan-kordic.com

Patrol

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore...

Dock

On Watch

Out of Blue I

Musts

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to mcslsk, 5 months ago

mcslsk wrote:

Yes, IQ is outstanding. AF is not slow, it is the shutter lack and overall responsiveness that is difficult in some situations.

Thank you, and I am not hard to please so it should suit me well.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

kordics
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes It Does!

If nothing else your pictures convinced me, Stevan. Thank you, and good luck.

I'm glad I did! Saluti, Stevan

kordics's gear list:kordics's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads