Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
RPulley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 11 months ago

ZenImage wrote:

That's at least another piece to the puzzle figured out. I think that lens selection would really be the only major deciding factor in favor of the d7100 for me. Canikon have an arsenal of lenses, as well as third party options. I was a little worried that Pentax seemed to have a short lens list (I agree with pairing that beast of a sensor with complimenting features to boot with glass that won't hold it back)....though they do have a line-up of lenses that they are looking to release .

I always have to give Canon and Nikon credit for selling millions of cameras based upon the impressive list of lenses that 99.99% of buyers will not buy and likely cannot afford.

The Pentax lens lineup:

14mm 2.8
15mm 4.0
21mm 3.2
31mm 1.8
35mm 2.4
35mm 2.8
40mm 2.8
40mm 2.8xs
43mm 1.9
50mm 1.4
50mm 1.8
50mm 2.8
55mm 1.4
70mm 2.4
77mm 1.8
100mm 2.8 wr
100mm 2.8 non wr
200mm 2.8
300mm 4.0
560mm 5.6

Zooms (fixed maximum aperture)

12-24 4.0
16-45 4.0
16-50 2.8
17-70 4.0
50-135 2.8
60-250 4.0

Consumer zooms (variable maximum aperture):

10-17 3.5-4.5 (this lens is actually a better than consumer grade lens)
18-55 3.5 -4.5 wr
18-55 II 3.5 - 4.5 -5.6
18-135 3.5-5.6
18-270 3.5-6.3
50-200 4.5 - 5.6
50-200 4.5 - 5-6 wr
55-300 4.0 - 5.8

Add to this the new 20-40 and the recently announced 1.4x TC.

Just exactly what would you be missing in terms of lens availability? What about your photography would be limited by the list above?

It is true that some 3rd party makers do not support Pentax, while others do release lenses for Pentax such as the newly announced Sigma 30mm f1.4, among others.

You also have a very wide choice of older FA lenses, Pentax A lenses, and M42 screw mounts (many brands, adapter needed), all of which can be used on Pentax bodies.

A legitimate knock on the Pentax lineup is that most are APS lenses (DX in Nikon terms), so not only is there no "FF" body at the moment, the "FF" lens lineup is limited.

On the other hand, Canon and Nikon have no "MF" products to upgrade to, so a lot depends upon what you plan to do in the future.

Ray

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jay_akita
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to RPulley, 11 months ago

RPulley wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

That's at least another piece to the puzzle figured out. I think that lens selection would really be the only major deciding factor in favor of the d7100 for me. Canikon have an arsenal of lenses, as well as third party options. I was a little worried that Pentax seemed to have a short lens list (I agree with pairing that beast of a sensor with complimenting features to boot with glass that won't hold it back)....though they do have a line-up of lenses that they are looking to release .

I always have to give Canon and Nikon credit for selling millions of cameras based upon the impressive list of lenses that 99.99% of buyers will not buy and likely cannot afford.

The Pentax lens lineup:

14mm 2.8
15mm 4.0
21mm 3.2
31mm 1.8
35mm 2.4
35mm 2.8
40mm 2.8
40mm 2.8xs
43mm 1.9
50mm 1.4
50mm 1.8
50mm 2.8
55mm 1.4
70mm 2.4
77mm 1.8
100mm 2.8 wr
100mm 2.8 non wr
200mm 2.8
300mm 4.0
560mm 5.6

Zooms (fixed maximum aperture)

12-24 4.0
16-45 4.0
16-50 2.8
17-70 4.0
50-135 2.8
60-250 4.0

Consumer zooms (variable maximum aperture):

10-17 3.5-4.5 (this lens is actually a better than consumer grade lens)
18-55 3.5 -4.5 wr
18-55 II 3.5 - 4.5 -5.6
18-135 3.5-5.6
18-270 3.5-6.3
50-200 4.5 - 5.6
50-200 4.5 - 5-6 wr
55-300 4.0 - 5.8

Add to this the new 20-40 and the recently announced 1.4x TC.

Just exactly what would you be missing in terms of lens availability? What about your photography would be limited by the list above?

It is true that some 3rd party makers do not support Pentax, while others do release lenses for Pentax such as the newly announced Sigma 30mm f1.4, among others.

You also have a very wide choice of older FA lenses, Pentax A lenses, and M42 screw mounts (many brands, adapter needed), all of which can be used on Pentax bodies.

A legitimate knock on the Pentax lineup is that most are APS lenses (DX in Nikon terms), so not only is there no "FF" body at the moment, the "FF" lens lineup is limited.

On the other hand, Canon and Nikon have no "MF" products to upgrade to, so a lot depends upon what you plan to do in the future.

Ray

As far as what's missing and limitation of the current lens lineup - I'd say slow built in AF motors, crazy yo-yo prices over the last few years, bad reputation for SDM lenses (I realize reliability seems to have improved greatly - I've owned three and only had problems with the 50-135), and no current zoom greater than 300mm.  IMO opinion the 50-135, 60-250 & 55 F1.4 are all excellent optically (never owned the 16-50 because of mediocre reviews) but my photography was limited by the AF speed.  That was with a K5, the K3 has gotten great reviews as far as AF improvements go especially with tracking, but you're still limited by the relatively slow SDM motors.  I went from a K20 > K7 > K5 and as far as I could tell the motors never moved any faster even if AF lock improved ie) "micro" corrections greatly reduced.

A lot has been written about Pentax users being cheap and not wanting to pay for high end lenses, IMO the reasons above are why people shy away from high dollar Pentax lenses.  I was OK with the trade-offs when prices were significantly cheaper than Canikon, now that they've jacked up the prices for (in many cases) the same old lenses up to double their selling prices just a few short years ago (with updated coatings at best) is it any wonder people willing to spend the money question the investment?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,866Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to jay_akita, 11 months ago

Not wanting politicize the discussion.

But some countries 'price hikes' are more to-do with political decisions of their  and Japans governments than driven by the evil Pentax

2006 $1=116yen average , £1 = 214 Yen

2012 $1 =79 yen average , £1 = 130 Yen

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to awaldram, 11 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Not wanting politicize the discussion.

But some countries 'price hikes' are more to-do with political decisions of their and Japans governments than driven by the evil Pentax

2006 $1=116yen average , £1 = 214 Yen

2012 $1 =79 yen average , £1 = 130 Yen

Today:

$1 = 102 Yen

GBP 1 = 171 Yen

How much have those lens prices fallen since 2012?

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,866Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 11 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Not wanting politicize the discussion.

But some countries 'price hikes' are more to-do with political decisions of their and Japans governments than driven by the evil Pentax

2006 $1=116yen average , £1 = 214 Yen

2012 $1 =79 yen average , £1 = 130 Yen

Today:

$1 = 102 Yen

GBP 1 = 171 Yen

How much have those lens prices fallen since 2012?

Was going to say about 15% but some are more some considerably less (UK)

16-50 = 2012 £1100 today £830

50-135 2012 =£1100 today £950

so I guess market conditions effect price

I think US market is different because pre - price adjustment IMO PentaxUS was selling at prices to drive sales not profit.

with prices averaged 25-50% than the rest of the world, I can see Americans being upset with the new pricing regime but don't think Ricoh or any company with pretensions of business acumen could let thinks slide any longer.

Unfortunately they cleaned house at the same point western economies collapsed so not only did you get 'adjusted' but then in quick succession got 'exchange rate adjusted'

So though other manufacturer increased prices 30-50% the Pentax jump was more 60-80%, I suspect they'd have liked to do more but were constrained by the market.

So even today American prices are still cheaper for Pentax lens yet balanced for other makes across the world.

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZenImage
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to Snydly, 10 months ago

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like.

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

ZenImage,

I live on the east coast of Florida and last I looked the only store in Orlando that carries high end camera equipment was Colonial Photo & Hobby, and they didn't carry Pentax. Southern Photo in Melbourne does now carry all Pentax bodies and at least a few lenses. It's a good place with very nice people. They told me to bring my lenses and an SD card to try out any camera. They said they have all the bodies in stock. It's a bit of a drive from Lakeland but may be worth it, if you haven't already made your decision. They have a website.

Last time I was in Lakeland I saw the Doobie Brothers at the LCC. Do they still put on concerts there?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks A TON for the info on the camera stores. It really does break my heart that no one cares to carry Pentax. How are people supposed to make informed decisions about products when they're strategically kept out of the running? But I guess that IS the point. Oh well. I happen to be a stubborn consumer, lol. Melbourne is maybe 3 hr. drive from here, give or take. I 'm not sure what they've been up to currently. I have been out of touch with it since I became too old for Disney on ice, lol!...they always try to do a bunch of stuff though. But they hold the gun show, monster truck rally...I believe N'Sync performed there a couple of years ago, as well as the Russian Ballet. I think Engelbert Humperdinck popped up recently...They're all over the place. How long ago were you here? They've tried building it up and have added a Hyatt...

Probably last there around 1981. Many trips there from the small town north of Melbourne where I grew up. Good old days. Easy drive to and from. The things we used to do.

Southern Photo had a k-x a few years ago, testing the waters I think when Pentax started getting pretty good at digital. They abandoned Pentax after that. I went in from time to time and was pleasantly surprised they had an entire Pentax case, just like Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc. Don't know if it will last but they went all out this time. There is a Ricoh building (small factory or office space I think) right down the street. I wonder if they had anything to do with Southern Photo's new interest in selling Pentax gear.

Keep us posted on your decisions. I think handling your gear before purchase is important as well.

Hey Bill!

Thanks again for the tip about Southern Photo! I actually did drive down there (yea, that place is awesome), and had a chance to check out the k5II as well as the K3 (they didn't have the 5IIs). I ended up going with the k3, it's a pretty amazing camera. And saying that doesn't really accurately convey just how great it is in all of it many ways. Lol. Yea, I'm in love. The only issue that I'm really having is with IQ; almost every picture (and so far, the one video) that I've taken has been noisy and fuzzy. I'm pretty positive that it's me, but as of yet, I have no idea where to begin with correcting it. A bit of a learning curve, but I do love a challenge. In any case, I'm having more fun shooting with this than I have with anything else. Hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon. Hope all is well! And again, thanks!

-Jessica

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 10 months ago

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like.

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

ZenImage,

I live on the east coast of Florida and last I looked the only store in Orlando that carries high end camera equipment was Colonial Photo & Hobby, and they didn't carry Pentax. Southern Photo in Melbourne does now carry all Pentax bodies and at least a few lenses. It's a good place with very nice people. They told me to bring my lenses and an SD card to try out any camera. They said they have all the bodies in stock. It's a bit of a drive from Lakeland but may be worth it, if you haven't already made your decision. They have a website.

Last time I was in Lakeland I saw the Doobie Brothers at the LCC. Do they still put on concerts there?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks A TON for the info on the camera stores. It really does break my heart that no one cares to carry Pentax. How are people supposed to make informed decisions about products when they're strategically kept out of the running? But I guess that IS the point. Oh well. I happen to be a stubborn consumer, lol. Melbourne is maybe 3 hr. drive from here, give or take. I 'm not sure what they've been up to currently. I have been out of touch with it since I became too old for Disney on ice, lol!...they always try to do a bunch of stuff though. But they hold the gun show, monster truck rally...I believe N'Sync performed there a couple of years ago, as well as the Russian Ballet. I think Engelbert Humperdinck popped up recently...They're all over the place. How long ago were you here? They've tried building it up and have added a Hyatt...

Probably last there around 1981. Many trips there from the small town north of Melbourne where I grew up. Good old days. Easy drive to and from. The things we used to do.

Southern Photo had a k-x a few years ago, testing the waters I think when Pentax started getting pretty good at digital. They abandoned Pentax after that. I went in from time to time and was pleasantly surprised they had an entire Pentax case, just like Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc. Don't know if it will last but they went all out this time. There is a Ricoh building (small factory or office space I think) right down the street. I wonder if they had anything to do with Southern Photo's new interest in selling Pentax gear.

Keep us posted on your decisions. I think handling your gear before purchase is important as well.

Hey Bill!

Thanks again for the tip about Southern Photo! I actually did drive down there (yea, that place is awesome), and had a chance to check out the k5II as well as the K3 (they didn't have the 5IIs). I ended up going with the k3, it's a pretty amazing camera. And saying that doesn't really accurately convey just how great it is in all of it many ways. Lol. Yea, I'm in love. The only issue that I'm really having is with IQ; almost every picture (and so far, the one video) that I've taken has been noisy and fuzzy. I'm pretty positive that it's me, but as of yet, I have no idea where to begin with correcting it. A bit of a learning curve, but I do love a challenge. In any case, I'm having more fun shooting with this than I have with anything else. Hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon. Hope all is well! And again, thanks!

-Jessica

Congrats on the new camera, you've made a great choice! Although I don't own a k3, I will definitely get one when prices come down a bit. If you need some advice getting to know your camera, I would suggest opening a new thread so it doesn't get lost in the noise in this thread.

 jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M Pentax K-5 IIs +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rwingsfan
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to jakey217350, 10 months ago

jakey217350 wrote:

I have the K-5II and the Nikon D7000. I use them both almost entirely for sports shooting in continuous shooting mode, so that's where my perspective is coming from in answer to your question.

I started with Pentax equipment in 2008 and bought the D7000 a couple years ago only because I wanted to use the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 zoom, which is not available in a Pentax mount. I had no complaints about the Pentax equipment I was using, I just wanted the 120-300mm and had no alternative but to buy Nikon (or Canon) equipment if I wanted the lens.

Anyway, the biggest difference for me has been that the D7000 has lower noise at high ISO settings compared to the K-5II. I believe the K-3 has not improved on high ISO noise performance over the K-5II so I think the D7000 would still be the low noise winner vs the K-3.

I think the D7000 still focuses a bit faster in low light comapred to the K-5II also, at least for my purposes. That said, I only purchased the K-5II recently, replacing my K-5, and the K-5II has narrowed the gap between it and the D7000 in low noise and autofocusing performance.

The only other advantage the D7000 has for me compared to the K-5II is that I recently sold my slow focusing DA* 50-135mm and purchased a faster focusing Sigma 50-150mm (non image stabilized) for my D7000 as a replacement lens. Again, the Sigma 50-150 is not available in a Pentax mount, thus forcing my hand. Shooting typically at 1/500 SS or higher, I don't need the image stabilization but the Sigma 50-150mm focuses faster under indoor lighting, which is crucial for me as I shoot a lot of indoor sports.

Otherwise, I generally still like my K-5II and may replace an old K-5 I have with the K-3. The number one advantage of the Pentax DSLRs is the weatherproofing. Shooting outside this is a tremendous advantage when it starts to rain. I've had the Pentax DSLRs out in all sorts of rain (with a DA*) lens and the equipment has never let me down. The D7000 and the Sigma 120-300mm have some water and dust resistance but definitely not to the extent of the K-5II, so I am careful not to subject the non-Pentax equipment to much rain. That is very inconvenient at times.

For sports shooting, the K-5II has a faster frame rate but a much lower capacity buffer compared to the Nikon D7000. I believe the K-3 has improved in this regard.

That's my two cents.

Jay

-- hide signature --

You are kidding right? I just came back to a K5IIs from a D7000 for one (well more than one) reason because the noise at high ISO is not only less on the Pentax, but what there is, is much easier to deal with. I thought the D7000 was very noisy even at lower ISO and the lower the light, the worse it was. And c'mon not showing ISO in the viewfinder, really?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to audiobomber, 10 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

18-135 zoom merely okay, not as good as the Nikon 18-140. Pentax 18-270 is sharper at all focal lengths than the 18-135.

"You have a weak copy of the DA 18-135mm."

Thanks Audiobomber.     Got a new 18-135 today.  Much sharper than my old one.   It must have gotten damaged from heavy use -- I have taken it everywhere.   When I shake the old one gently it sounds like "clickity clickity click"   When I gently shake the new one gently it sounds like "clunk clunk"

 OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JGoodard
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to walberty, 10 months ago

walberty wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

Midwest wrote:

The Pentax will give you lots of wiggle room - in the viewfinder. That IBIS stabilizes the sensor but leaves you and the camera's sensors (AF and metering and of course the viewfinder) with an un stabilized jittery image.

LOL, are you still on your one-man campaign? You've been discredited every time you spew this nonsense.

We shoot Pentax and don't agree with you. We should know, we have experience, on Sigma teles with ILIS, and Pentax teles with IBIS. You're a Canon shooter, you have no experience with IBIS. As you've been told, over and over, if there is shake in the OVF, brace yourself before taking the shot, don't rely on image stabilization to rescue you.

IBIS stabilizes the relationship between the lens and sensor. The idea that metering will be impacted is absolute poppycock. ROTFLMAO!

-- hide signature --

Dan

Thanks I thought it was just me. It is some strange urban myth . Please someone stop the nonsense about IBIS and how crazy the shake is in the viewfinder and how metering will fail because it will work on part of the picture in the shake that won't be there in the final result . What the hell. Possibly if you are spot metering and you are moving around a bunch , but then that would have nothing to do with IBIS. If you use a tripod - which you would if you are using a monster telephoto on your super expensive African safari shoot with sir Thom - then you turn off IBIS. Are we so sure Thom (Tom?) Hogan said that? He uses Olympus too and it has great 5 axis IBIS .

Warning off topic Rant - You know Tom Hogan is okay, until he just completely shoots down Pentax and the other smaller camera makers. He continually tries to make predictions, pats himself on the back when he is right and of course rarely mentions when his wrong such as the continual prediction that Pentax will go away. His latest article states that only Ricoh knows why they took on Pentax, because it makes no sense at all. He had said that Pentax has the most complete crop sensor lens lineup and bashes Nikon for not doing so and he also called the Pentax K-3 the Nikon D400. Yet from a business standpoint he only sees the duopoly of Canon and Nikon. We get it Thom, no kidding. And yes Pentax has been saved twice, but it appears that Ricoh is happy to save it and spend money on it too. He has pointed out that Ricoh is so huge that Pentax is like a nice hobby for them. So why is he so upset that Ricoh has not thrown out Pentax? Because he like others including dpreview hate Pentax - it annoys them, because to them it has always been inferior and they cannot think of it any other way despite all the facts before them. Pentax has made the perfect APS-C camera in the K-3 yet these guys still discount it because Pentax is small. Insane, really nuts. So screw the experts!- Rant over

Sort of off the subject here; I am under the impression that Hoya made an aggressive bid to buy Pentax in order to secure the medical optics tech in order to strengthen Hoya's own medical divison. Or am I way off on that? As I understand it, Pentax was under pressure from their leading shareholder(s) to accept the bid?

 JGoodard's gear list:JGoodard's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Corel Aftershot Pro +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZenImage
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to jm_mac, 10 months ago

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like.

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

ZenImage,

I live on the east coast of Florida and last I looked the only store in Orlando that carries high end camera equipment was Colonial Photo & Hobby, and they didn't carry Pentax. Southern Photo in Melbourne does now carry all Pentax bodies and at least a few lenses. It's a good place with very nice people. They told me to bring my lenses and an SD card to try out any camera. They said they have all the bodies in stock. It's a bit of a drive from Lakeland but may be worth it, if you haven't already made your decision. They have a website.

Last time I was in Lakeland I saw the Doobie Brothers at the LCC. Do they still put on concerts there?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks A TON for the info on the camera stores. It really does break my heart that no one cares to carry Pentax. How are people supposed to make informed decisions about products when they're strategically kept out of the running? But I guess that IS the point. Oh well. I happen to be a stubborn consumer, lol. Melbourne is maybe 3 hr. drive from here, give or take. I 'm not sure what they've been up to currently. I have been out of touch with it since I became too old for Disney on ice, lol!...they always try to do a bunch of stuff though. But they hold the gun show, monster truck rally...I believe N'Sync performed there a couple of years ago, as well as the Russian Ballet. I think Engelbert Humperdinck popped up recently...They're all over the place. How long ago were you here? They've tried building it up and have added a Hyatt...

Probably last there around 1981. Many trips there from the small town north of Melbourne where I grew up. Good old days. Easy drive to and from. The things we used to do.

Southern Photo had a k-x a few years ago, testing the waters I think when Pentax started getting pretty good at digital. They abandoned Pentax after that. I went in from time to time and was pleasantly surprised they had an entire Pentax case, just like Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc. Don't know if it will last but they went all out this time. There is a Ricoh building (small factory or office space I think) right down the street. I wonder if they had anything to do with Southern Photo's new interest in selling Pentax gear.

Keep us posted on your decisions. I think handling your gear before purchase is important as well.

Hey Bill!

Thanks again for the tip about Southern Photo! I actually did drive down there (yea, that place is awesome), and had a chance to check out the k5II as well as the K3 (they didn't have the 5IIs). I ended up going with the k3, it's a pretty amazing camera. And saying that doesn't really accurately convey just how great it is in all of it many ways. Lol. Yea, I'm in love. The only issue that I'm really having is with IQ; almost every picture (and so far, the one video) that I've taken has been noisy and fuzzy. I'm pretty positive that it's me, but as of yet, I have no idea where to begin with correcting it. A bit of a learning curve, but I do love a challenge. In any case, I'm having more fun shooting with this than I have with anything else. Hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon. Hope all is well! And again, thanks!

-Jessica

Congrats on the new camera, you've made a great choice! Although I don't own a k3, I will definitely get one when prices come down a bit. If you need some advice getting to know your camera, I would suggest opening a new thread so it doesn't get lost in the noise in this thread.

Thanks!! Yea, I was starting to notice that it was becoming more difficult to find specific converstaions in here. Lol. Thank you hopefully it comes down soon so that you can snag yours And that suggestion sounds wonderdul! Ill definately give it a try and see where it goes!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pkokity
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to RPulley, 10 months ago

Hi Ray. Is there an article online, or do you know, which of the primes you listed would be best suited for the higher definition of the K-3? (In browsing customers posted images, the 55mm appears better than the 50s. I am just learning, it sounds like the FA limiteds are out of my league for now) What about those zooms?

Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pkokity
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to klavrack, 10 months ago

Your pictures are all so beautiful! (If that word does them justice)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,534Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 10 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

18-135 zoom merely okay, not as good as the Nikon 18-140. Pentax 18-270 is sharper at all focal lengths than the 18-135.

"You have a weak copy of the DA 18-135mm."

Thanks Audiobomber. Got a new 18-135 today. Much sharper than my old one. It must have gotten damaged from heavy use -- I have taken it everywhere. When I shake the old one gently it sounds like "clickity clickity click" When I gently shake the new one gently it sounds like "clunk clunk"

Sorry about your lens, but it's good that it's sorted out now. Will you be sending the old one in for repair? It's probably worthwhile getting it fixed.

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 10 months ago

ZenImage wrote:

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like. I can say this definitively though; I was not a fan of how the d7100 felt in my hands. That's at least another piece to the puzzle figured out. I think that lens selection would really be the only major deciding factor in favor of the d7100 for me. Canikon have an arsenal of lenses, as well as third party options. I was a little worried that Pentax seemed to have a short lens list (I agree with pairing that beast of a sensor with complimenting features to boot with glass that won't hold it back)....though they do have a line-up of lenses that they are looking to release (side question: can the k-3 take Q mount lenses? I herd at some point that you could use older Pentax lenses, but is that also true for other Pentax bodies?? I know some are mirror-less, but I don't know how that works). And I did hear something about a venture to bridge over lens brands! <# . I currently have the DA 50mm f1.8 prime lined up for the K-3, and I'm fairly certain that I'm gonna take that leap. Again, thanks! All of your feedback helped tremendously. Thank you as well for the best wishes!!!

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to finding local stores that sell Pentax gear, Jessica. For reasons I'm not sure I understand it appears all but perhaps the least expensive point-and-shoot Pentax cameras DISAPPEARED from stores in THE ENTIRE SOUTH maybe 20 or more years ago.

When I bought my first film camera in the mid-80s it was a Pentax K-1000, and at that time, not only camera stores, but even department stores had Pentax cameras. Today, when I do searches, I can't find them listed ANYWHERE in the South -- not even in the super-big cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. (I'm in Upstate, SC, right off I-85 close to half-way between Atlanta and Charlotte).

When I was making my decision 2.5 years ago I was split between the Nikon D7000 and the Pentax K-5, but ended up going with Pentax when I realized I could use an existing HQ AF lens I had from the 90s (135mm F2.8 -- which I just recently discovered is selling USED, TODAY for more than I paid for it 20 years ago!). I'm glad I did. Today, although I can't "play with" Pentax gear in stores, I CAN generally "play with" Nikon and Canon, and what I saw of the D7100 let me know that my decision to stick with Pentax and buy the K-3 (and also get a K-5IIs when the prices hit closeout) was also the right choice. The lack of built-in wifi (which Pentax is accomplishing with a dedicated FluCard is the ONLY shortcoming I can see on the K-3). If you don't consider that, it's BY FAR the most advanced, sophisticated, professional-level APS-C camera on the market, and if you buy one I'm certain you won't be disappointed.

You can also get adapters for any Nikon lenses you may want to keep, but there are a good many Pentax brand and Pentax-compatible lenses that are high quality and reasonably priced I think you'll find very suitable to whatever application you need to address.

The ONLY lens-type NOT made for Pentax, at present, WAS a Tilt-Shift lens, BUT now the manual-only lens maker Samyang/Rokinon has come out with a manual-focus Tilt-Shift lens for all mounts, as well... And since their lenses are generally less expensive, it's well below the price Canon and Nikon charge for theirs (although I've yet to read any reviews of it, so I can't speak for it yet -- I DO have their MF 8mm Fisheye lens, though, and I'm very pleased with THAT)!

Happy Shooting!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

 JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads