Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 7 months ago | Questions
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?
Re: The sensible thing is the D7100
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

ZenImage wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Stephenhampshire wrote:

The worst downside of shooting Pentax for me is the lac of third party support for things such as flash triggers,

http://www.aokatec.com/AK-TTL.html

Oh my gosh. That was awesome. Thanks for sharing this invaluable link!!:-D

Woah! This product needs to be bookmarked. Very nice.

 citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,444
Like?
Wiggle room
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

The Pentax will give you lots of wiggle room - in the viewfinder. That IBIS stabilizes the sensor but leaves you and the camera's sensors (AF and metering and of course the viewfinder) with an un stabilized jittery image. The longer the tele the more the jitter. I like my viewfinder stabilized and for my AF and metering to have a stable image to work with. On a DS LR, that means optical stabilization. (Thom Hogan confirmed this to me.) IBIS sounds good but it makes very little sense on a DSLR. On a mirrorless, yes. But not on a DSLR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,816Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to Midwest, 7 months ago

Midwest wrote:

The Pentax will give you lots of wiggle room - in the viewfinder. That IBIS stabilizes the sensor but leaves you and the camera's sensors (AF and metering and of course the viewfinder) with an un stabilized jittery image. The longer the tele the more the jitter. I like my viewfinder stabilized and for my AF and metering to have a stable image to work with. On a DS LR, that means optical stabilization. (Thom Hogan confirmed this to me.) IBIS sounds good but it makes very little sense on a DSLR. On a mirrorless, yes. But not on a DSLR.

Whoa!  I thought I got dropped in the Cannon crop sensor forum for a second.  Who is this Thom Hogan guy anyway?    Pentax calls it SR and it is done by physically moving the sensor a minute amount.  I have never noticed much wiggle in the view finder but if it were there it would make me try to improve my holding technique.  IBIS is a Sony or Oly technique.  I think they work very well also.  Besides any lens I use can have the SR switched on or off  and a lot of lenses are made without optical stabilization among the big makers.  You ever use a camera that has this feature much?

Cheers.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,162Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to Midwest, 7 months ago

Midwest wrote:

The Pentax will give you lots of wiggle room - in the viewfinder. That IBIS stabilizes the sensor but leaves you and the camera's sensors (AF and metering and of course the viewfinder) with an un stabilized jittery image.

LOL, are you still on your one-man campaign? You've been discredited every time you spew this nonsense.

We shoot Pentax and don't agree with you. We should know, we have experience, on Sigma teles with ILIS, and Pentax teles with IBIS. You're a Canon shooter, you have no experience with IBIS. As you've been told, over and over, if there is shake in the OVF, brace yourself before taking the shot, don't rely on image stabilization to rescue you.

IBIS stabilizes the relationship between the lens and sensor. The idea that metering will be impacted is absolute poppycock. ROTFLMAO!

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walberty
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to mistermejia, 7 months ago

Some Pentax mount Sigma's

17-50 2.8 (non OS because of Pentax IBIS)

18-35 1.8 (advance order - see bhvideo/adorama)

30 1.4 (just announced)

500

50-500

150-500

120-400

10-20 (both 3.5 and older model)

12-24

35mm full frame

many primes

 walberty's gear list:walberty's gear list
Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walberty
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to audiobomber, 7 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

Midwest wrote:

The Pentax will give you lots of wiggle room - in the viewfinder. That IBIS stabilizes the sensor but leaves you and the camera's sensors (AF and metering and of course the viewfinder) with an un stabilized jittery image.

LOL, are you still on your one-man campaign? You've been discredited every time you spew this nonsense.

We shoot Pentax and don't agree with you. We should know, we have experience, on Sigma teles with ILIS, and Pentax teles with IBIS. You're a Canon shooter, you have no experience with IBIS. As you've been told, over and over, if there is shake in the OVF, brace yourself before taking the shot, don't rely on image stabilization to rescue you.

IBIS stabilizes the relationship between the lens and sensor. The idea that metering will be impacted is absolute poppycock. ROTFLMAO!

-- hide signature --

Dan

Thanks I thought it was just me. It is some strange urban myth . Please someone stop the nonsense about IBIS and how crazy the shake is in the viewfinder  and how metering will fail because it will work on part of the picture in the shake that won't be there in the final result . What the hell. Possibly if you are spot metering and you are moving around a bunch , but then that would have nothing to do with IBIS. If you use a tripod - which you would if you are using a monster telephoto on your super expensive African safari shoot with sir Thom - then you turn off IBIS.  Are we so sure Thom (Tom?) Hogan said that? He uses Olympus too and it has great 5 axis IBIS .

Warning off topic  Rant - You know Tom Hogan is okay, until he just completely shoots down Pentax and the other smaller camera makers. He continually tries to make predictions, pats himself on the back when he is right and of course rarely mentions when his wrong such as the continual prediction that Pentax will go away. His latest article states that only Ricoh knows why they took on Pentax, because it makes no sense at all.  He had said that Pentax has the most complete crop sensor lens lineup and bashes Nikon for not doing so and he also called the Pentax K-3 the Nikon D400. Yet from a business standpoint he only sees the duopoly of Canon and Nikon. We get it Thom, no kidding.  And yes Pentax has been saved twice, but it appears that Ricoh is happy to save it and spend money on it too. He has pointed out that Ricoh is so huge that Pentax is like a nice hobby for them. So why is he so upset that Ricoh has not thrown out Pentax? Because he like others including dpreview  hate Pentax - it annoys them, because to them it has always been inferior and they cannot think of it any other way despite all the facts before them. Pentax has made the perfect APS-C camera in the K-3 yet these guys still discount it because Pentax is small. Insane, really nuts. So screw the experts!- Rant over

 walberty's gear list:walberty's gear list
Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to walberty, 7 months ago

"Because he like others including dpreview hate Pentax - it annoys them, because to them it has always been inferior and they cannot think of it any other way despite all the facts before them"

I have a different theory.  He is not annoyed at all.   In fact, he is grateful Pentax is around.

Why do car magazines review the Toyota Camry and then go on and on about lack of performance and handling?    To cater to the majority of their readership who see themselves as cool because they drive some sporty thing.  Car enthusiasts buy the most car magazines and they want to read their sporty car is so much better than something.  And it make them feel good about themselves that they are better than the average guy.   The car magazines have to have some car to point to as representative of the average person who isn't smart enough to buy a really good car.

Does it hurt Toyota sales what the car enthusiast magazines say about the Camry? Not really.

 OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tyr-Sog
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

I've been seriously contemplating on moving from the Nikon D600 to the K3. For my shooting style I've learned that the 1.5 crop benefits me more then the FF benefits. With the K3 only being $1019 at Amazon, i may jump. Especially since I've gone from 7 lenses to only 2 over the last 5 months. It's still a tough decision as I've been shooting Nikon so long. Also I'm so use to the DR(in landscapes) and low noise of the D600, I'm worried I'm so use to it, I may be disappointed.

 Tyr-Sog's gear list:Tyr-Sog's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to Tyr-Sog, 7 months ago

I've been seriously contemplating on moving from the Nikon D600 to the K3. For my shooting style I've learned that the 1.5 crop benefits me more then the FF benefits. With the K3 only being $1019 at Amazon, i may jump. Especially since I've gone from 7 lenses to only 2 over the last 5 months. It's still a tough decision as I've been shooting Nikon so long. Also I'm so use to the DR(in landscapes) and low noise of the D600, I'm worried I'm so use to it, I may be disappointed.

You wont be disappointed, I kept my ff for my fashion stuff but for everything else the k3 is better imho (or at least a acceptable trade off for the reach from 1.5 and size etc etc)
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to Midwest, 7 months ago

Midwest wrote:

The Pentax will give you lots of wiggle room - in the viewfinder. That IBIS stabilizes the sensor but leaves you and the camera's sensors (AF and metering and of course the viewfinder) with an un stabilized jittery image. The longer the tele the more the jitter. I like my viewfinder stabilized and for my AF and metering to have a stable image to work with. On a DS LR, that means optical stabilization. (Thom Hogan confirmed this to me.) IBIS sounds good but it makes very little sense on a DSLR. On a mirrorless, yes. But not on a DSLR.

This seems like a bunch of misinformation.  To start, any serious "jitter" from a long telephoto will not be fully corrected via either lens stabilization or sensor stabilization.  If it's that distracting through a Pentax viewfinder, you can be almost certain the captured image is going to look blurry on a Canon or Nikon -- OIS or not.  So, why not know the full extent of the jitter before you push the shutter button?

Second, there's no reason for IBIS to be more useful on mirrorless than DSLRs.  If that's wrong... why?  So that begs the question... why did Panasonic just put IBIS on their latest camera?

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to tassosDA, 7 months ago

tassosDA wrote:

According to photozone.de the 18-135 is one of the worst zoom lenses of Pentax! The sample they tested was actually so bad that they sended it back to Pentax- Germany to ask if it was defective. The reply from Pentax ( after testin the sample) was that the lens was whithin factory specifications!!! I dont own the lens but I would be very sceptical buying one cosidering also the fact that it isn't cheap either!! The best all around zoom lens from Pentax seems to be the 17-70 f4! If it had weather sealing it would be perfect.

I own the lens.  I wasn't all that happy with it and then figured out it was de-centered.  I sent it to CRIS with a couple of test images and they sent it back very quickly.  It looks excellent now and seems like a whole new lens (it's not, just adjusted).

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

The feature that most keeps me in the Pentax camp is it's flexibility with old lenses.  The IBIS makes all of them stabilized, and the focus peaking makes the old manual focus ones a joy to use.

If you've never tried macro photography, this can open up a whole new world for your hobby.  If you have tried it, the focus peaking makes it enormously easier.  We keep a K-01 just for this feature (my older k-5 lacks it), but all the new Pentax bodies include it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walberty
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 7 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

"Because he like others including dpreview hate Pentax - it annoys them, because to them it has always been inferior and they cannot think of it any other way despite all the facts before them"

I have a different theory. He is not annoyed at all. In fact, he is grateful Pentax is around.

Why do car magazines review the Toyota Camry and then go on and on about lack of performance and handling? To cater to the majority of their readership who see themselves as cool because they drive some sporty thing. Car enthusiasts buy the most car magazines and they want to read their sporty car is so much better than something. And it make them feel good about themselves that they are better than the average guy. The car magazines have to have some car to point to as representative of the average person who isn't smart enough to buy a really good car.

Does it hurt Toyota sales what the car enthusiast magazines say about the Camry? Not really.

As a former car nut your point is well taken and sorry for the rant.to everyone for the rant. Things is the Pentax K-50 is a CR best buy among other DSLRs. Why? It is cheap, performs well and generally has a lot going for it. So in theory if you have a really good product, which they do, then you would think it would sell better right? It is just a solid , well built , reliable and very capable device with unique features. It is the mid size family sedan that does most things very well, maybe a little sporty but it is no exotic sports car. I liken Pentax to Mazda. Limited budget and resources , but they get the most out of it. The car magazines laud Mazda, as does CR, all the time. The expert blogs and photography sites typically not so much with Pentax. I care what sites think only because I would like to Pentax to sell items in order for Ricoh to continue to support them because I really like Pentax cameras and lenses and I would like others to also at least be aware of Pentax and that their cameras are a viable option.

 walberty's gear list:walberty's gear list
Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,748Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to walberty, 7 months ago

Well I shoot with an Optically stabilized 70-200 amongst other lens  on my K3 so I;m probably one of the few who know the difference between the two from the shooters perspective.

If your shooting a brick wall the the OS gives you about 1 stop advantage over IS which really surprised me but a bigger surprise was to come.

In use OS offered no advantage in fact it seemed to be at a slight deficit I suspect this is because of the 'stabilized view' you tend to waggle the camera more without noticing so OS has less 'wiggle room'.

As to holding target again this was more obvious with ibis than OS and therefore easier to react to change and keep the target where you wanted it.

Exposure never varied between the two so that’s is complete hogwash

AF performance again no difference at all the camera behave as fast and it was as easy to acquire targets whether shooting ibis or OS

The big advantage OS had for me and why I used it is mode 2 disabling horizontal stabilization so shooting pan shots is possible with SR enabled.

If Pentax implemented the same feature I would not use OS , Ibis is just more natural and you feel more in control of the image.

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Snydly
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

ZenImage wrote:

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like.

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

ZenImage,

I live on the east coast of Florida and last I looked the only store in Orlando that carries high end camera equipment was Colonial Photo & Hobby, and they didn't carry Pentax.  Southern Photo in Melbourne does now carry all Pentax bodies and at least a few lenses.  It's a good place with very nice people.  They told me to bring my lenses and an SD card to try out any camera.  They said they have all the bodies in stock.  It's a bit of a drive from Lakeland but may be worth it, if you haven't already made your decision.  They have a website.

Last time I was in Lakeland I saw the Doobie Brothers at the LCC.  Do they still put on concerts there?

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZenImage
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to Snydly, 7 months ago

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like.

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

ZenImage,

I live on the east coast of Florida and last I looked the only store in Orlando that carries high end camera equipment was Colonial Photo & Hobby, and they didn't carry Pentax. Southern Photo in Melbourne does now carry all Pentax bodies and at least a few lenses. It's a good place with very nice people. They told me to bring my lenses and an SD card to try out any camera. They said they have all the bodies in stock. It's a bit of a drive from Lakeland but may be worth it, if you haven't already made your decision. They have a website.

Last time I was in Lakeland I saw the Doobie Brothers at the LCC. Do they still put on concerts there?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks A TON for the info on the camera stores. It really does break my heart that no one cares to carry Pentax. How are people supposed to make informed decisions about products when they're strategically kept out of the running? But I guess that IS the point. Oh well. I happen to be a stubborn consumer, lol. Melbourne is maybe 3 hr. drive from here, give or take. I 'm not sure what they've been up to currently. I have been out of touch with it since I became too old for Disney on ice, lol!...they always try to do a bunch of stuff though. But they hold the gun show, monster truck rally...I believe N'Sync performed there a couple of years ago, as well as the Russian Ballet. I think Engelbert Humperdinck popped up recently...They're all over the place. How long ago were you here? They've tried building it up and have added a Hyatt...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jakey217350
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

I have the K-5II and the Nikon D7000. I use them both almost entirely for sports shooting in continuous shooting mode, so that's where my perspective is coming from in answer to your question.

I started with Pentax  equipment in 2008 and bought the D7000 a couple years ago only because I wanted to use the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 zoom, which is not available in a Pentax mount. I had no complaints about the Pentax equipment I was using, I just wanted the 120-300mm and had no alternative but to buy Nikon (or Canon) equipment if I wanted the lens.

Anyway, the biggest difference for me has been that the D7000 has lower noise at high ISO settings compared to the K-5II. I believe the K-3 has not improved on high ISO noise performance over the K-5II so I think the D7000 would still be the low noise winner vs the K-3.

I think the D7000 still focuses a bit faster in low light comapred to the K-5II also, at least for my purposes. That said, I only purchased the K-5II recently, replacing my K-5, and the K-5II has narrowed the gap between it and the D7000 in low noise and autofocusing performance.

The only other advantage the D7000 has for me compared to the K-5II is that I recently sold my slow focusing DA* 50-135mm and purchased a faster focusing Sigma 50-150mm (non image stabilized) for my D7000 as a replacement lens. Again, the Sigma 50-150 is not available in a Pentax mount, thus forcing my hand. Shooting typically at 1/500 SS or higher, I don't need the image stabilization but the Sigma 50-150mm focuses faster under indoor lighting, which is crucial for me as I shoot a lot of indoor sports.

Otherwise, I generally still like my K-5II and may replace an old K-5 I have with the K-3. The number one advantage of the Pentax DSLRs is the weatherproofing. Shooting outside this is a tremendous advantage when it starts to rain. I've had the Pentax DSLRs out in all sorts of rain (with a DA*) lens and the equipment has never let me down. The D7000 and the Sigma 120-300mm have some water and dust resistance but definitely not to the extent of the K-5II, so I am careful not to subject the non-Pentax equipment to much rain. That is very inconvenient at times.

For sports shooting, the K-5II has a faster frame rate but a much lower capacity buffer compared to the Nikon D7000. I believe the K-3 has improved in this regard.

That's my two cents.

Jay

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,816Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to jakey217350, 7 months ago

jakey217350 wrote:


For sports shooting, the K-5II has a faster frame rate but a much lower capacity buffer compared to the Nikon D7000. I believe the K-3 has improved in this regard.

Erm.  Anyone can go out and read the specs to see it has improved quite a bit in this regard;  K3 has about 3X the buffer, a faster IO bus, and 2 1/2 more frames per second compared to a D7100.

That's my two cents.

Jay

-- hide signature --
 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,162Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to jakey217350, 7 months ago

jakey217350 wrote:

Anyway, the biggest difference for me has been that the D7000 has lower noise at high ISO settings compared to the K-5II.

Are you shooting jpegs? The K-5 II and D7000 use the same Sony sensor, SNR is the same, as shown on DXOMark.

I think the D7000 still focuses a bit faster in low light comapred to the K-5II also, at least for my purposes.

I believe that is an unusual opinion. The K-5 II low light AF convincingly outperforms the D7100 in this video, and the D7100 has upgraded AF performance compared to the D7000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ9MsmECULw

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Snydly
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

ZenImage wrote:

Snydly wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like.

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

ZenImage,

I live on the east coast of Florida and last I looked the only store in Orlando that carries high end camera equipment was Colonial Photo & Hobby, and they didn't carry Pentax. Southern Photo in Melbourne does now carry all Pentax bodies and at least a few lenses. It's a good place with very nice people. They told me to bring my lenses and an SD card to try out any camera. They said they have all the bodies in stock. It's a bit of a drive from Lakeland but may be worth it, if you haven't already made your decision. They have a website.

Last time I was in Lakeland I saw the Doobie Brothers at the LCC. Do they still put on concerts there?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks A TON for the info on the camera stores. It really does break my heart that no one cares to carry Pentax. How are people supposed to make informed decisions about products when they're strategically kept out of the running? But I guess that IS the point. Oh well. I happen to be a stubborn consumer, lol. Melbourne is maybe 3 hr. drive from here, give or take. I 'm not sure what they've been up to currently. I have been out of touch with it since I became too old for Disney on ice, lol!...they always try to do a bunch of stuff though. But they hold the gun show, monster truck rally...I believe N'Sync performed there a couple of years ago, as well as the Russian Ballet. I think Engelbert Humperdinck popped up recently...They're all over the place. How long ago were you here? They've tried building it up and have added a Hyatt...

Probably last there around 1981.  Many trips there from the small town north of Melbourne where I grew up.  Good old days.  Easy drive to and from.  The things we used to do.

Southern Photo had a k-x a few years ago, testing the waters I think when Pentax started getting pretty good at digital.  They abandoned Pentax after that.  I went in from time to time and was pleasantly surprised they had an entire Pentax case, just like Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc.  Don't know if it will last but they went all out this time.  There is a Ricoh building (small factory or office space I think) right down the street.  I wonder if they had anything to do with Southern Photo's new interest in selling Pentax gear.

Keep us posted on your decisions.  I think handling your gear before purchase is important as well.

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads