Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,755Gear list
Like?
Re: The sensible thing is the D7100
In reply to Stephenhampshire, 8 months ago

Stephenhampshire wrote:

The worst downside of shooting Pentax for me is the lac of third party support for things such as flash triggers,

http://www.aokatec.com/AK-TTL.html

I get round this by not bothering with P-TTL flash too much (although I have a Metz 48 for HSS and fill-in) but using old fashioned "auto thyristor" flashes and optical triggers. Apart from that I haven't felt an urgent need to switch to Nikon, I have as many lenses as I want, I certainly don't feel particularly constrained in choices of glass (though I don't shoot a lot of wildlife, 300mm is my longest focal length
 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,197Gear list
Like?
Re: AF motor
In reply to ZenImage, 8 months ago

The list is OK if you like zooms, severely lacking in primes. And I should have mentioned, not only are the D3200 and D5200 viewfinders smaller, they're also darker thanks to pentamirror vs. pentaprism. And no lens AF Adjust, available on every current Pentax DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
audiobomber
Like?

ZenImage wrote:

I know that there was a huge debate on a far away thread somewhere within DP that went back and forth as to whether or not the d7100 and the K-3 were equally rugged and weather resistant.

One area where there is no room for debate is in affordable weather-resistant lenses. Pentax has several, Nikon has none.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
audiobomber
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 8 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

18-135 zoom merely okay, not as good as the Nikon 18-140. Pentax 18-270 is sharper at all focal lengths than the 18-135.

You have a weak copy of the DA 18-135mm. Here's an excerpt from the Pentax Forums In-Depth review of the DA 18-270mm:

"If you plan on making larger prints or are concerned with speed or image quality, then this lens isn't for you. We may even go as far as saying that if you plan on owning multiple lenses, then this shouldn't be one of them. For enthusiasts who wish to complement their lens lineup with an all-in-one lens, we recommend the Pentax DA 18-135mm instead, as it's cheaper and offers weather sealing as well as slightly better image quality at the focal lengths that it covers."

In their test, sharpness is rated 6.0 for the 18-270, 7.0 for the 18-135.

Most shooters also rate the 18-250mm higher than the 18-270 (8.56 vs. 7.5 in the User Reviews at Pentax Forums). My 18-135 beats my 18-270 in virtually every way, as shown in these full-size images: https://picasaweb.google.com/100586096103361553535/18135Vs18250?authkey=Gv1sRgCNzC5b_4_qXRqQE#

-- hide signature --

Dan

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,210
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 8 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

The list is OK if you like zooms, severely lacking in primes.

• AF-S 24mm f/1.4G ED
  • AF-S 28mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S 35mm f/1.4G
  • AF-S 35mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S DX Micro 40mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S 50mm f/1.4G
  • AF-S 50mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S 58mm f/1.4G
  • AF-S Micro 60mm f/2.8G ED
  • AF-S 85mm f/1.4G
  • AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
  • AF-S 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Micro
  • AF-S 200mm f/2G ED VR II
  • AF-S 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
  • AF-S 300mm f4
  • AF-S 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
  • AF-S TELECONVERTER TC800-1.25E ED
  • AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II
  • AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
  • AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III

Wide, ultra wide, and fisheye are about the only AF-S primes missing.

Pentax value has always been in the IBIS system, with the Astro feature, the auto horizon leveling, and the sensor composition feature built on top of it. IBIS brings stabilization to any lens you put on the camera. My last century lenses have this century's "got to have" feature. The $200 GPS attachment will track the movement of the stars by moving the sensor in the camera so that stars don't become start trails, limited to pretty short duration though. The auto horizon feature means that as long as you are within a couple of degrees or so of level, that the camera will level the sensor in the body so that you don't have to do this in post processing and possibly lose edge details you saw in the viewfinder and wanted in the photo. The sensor composition feature is like having a four pound geared head on your tripod without having to lug it around, or pay the $300-2000 for one.

EV compensation in manual mode might seem a funny feature, but with a TTL flash with HSS capabilities on the camera, all I have to do is turn on the flash and set it to its HSS mode. From then on I never have to touch the flash again. As the camera's settings are manually set, adjusting the EV compensation only has the affect of swinging the camera's meter one way or the other. The only thing using the metering is the TTL flash. So now FEV can be set on the body without ever taking your eye out of the viewfinder. It also allow for a much larger FEV than what is possible with the flash itself. With the flash already in HSS, all shutter speeds are available for use. You can match ambient, or take the shutter speed up to 1/8000s, all while having your eye glued to the viewfinder.

The Green button doesn't sound like much, but in Av mode it resets ISO back into Auto. With this and the dual e-dials, where you have aperture on one e-dial, and ISO on the other, you can let the camera set the ISO value for the scene, look at the shutter speed in the viewfinder, decide if you want a slower or faster shutter speed, and then raise or lower the ISO with the e-dial, which of coarse does the same to the shutter speed. When you have your shot, hit the Green button and the camera is back in auto ISO for the next shot where you can repeat the same above. Tv mode is the almost the same, but adjusting ISO of coarse is reflected in the aperture instead. Green button again to enable auto ISO after getting your shot.

The Green button in manual mode will either shift shutter speed to match the metering for the aperture and ISO set, or shift the aperture to match the metering for the shutter speed and ISO set. The Green button in manual can also be set to the Programline, where what happens to the setting is determined by what you have the program line set to. AE-L will lock the aperture and shutter speed settings in manual mode so changing one of the settings will keep the other in lock step, ISO will stay constant.

Auto ISO adjustment is also possible. The camera has three settings where how fast or how slow ISO rampsin Auto; Slow, Normal, Fast. Auto ISO range can also be set for minimum and maximum, but can also be easiely over ridden with manually setting through an e-dial or via the ISO button. Mostly I use the Slow and Fast settings when in Av mode. Slow means I'm relying on IBIS and getting slower shutter speeds and lower ISO set and I'm mostly going to be using this on static subjects. Fast means I'm getting higher ISO values and higher shutter speeds, so shooting something with more movement.

Anyway, I would suggest reading the the K-5IIs manual over reading the K-3 manual for a better idea about what the bodies can do. Just read the K-3 manual for specifics about that camera. The K-3 manual is a very abridged version of the past manuals, so it is worth the effort to look at both.

Thank you
Russell

awaldram
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 8 months ago

So no wide angle primes ?

8-30 mm ?

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 8 months ago

awaldram wrote:

8-30 mm ?

If you don't count the AF-S 24mm f1.4 or the AF-S 28mm f1.8. Pentax has the 14mm f2.8, 15mm f4, and 21mm f3.2, but we don't have the long telephotos of the Nikon system. Wide or long, you pick which is of more importance to you to have a prime for.

Thank you
Russell

awaldram
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 8 months ago

Russell Evans wrote:

awaldram wrote:

8-30 mm ?

If you don't count the AF-S 24mm f1.4 or the AF-S 28mm f1.8. Pentax has the 14mm f2.8, 15mm f4, and 21mm f3.2, but we don't have the long telephotos of the Nikon system. Wide or long, you pick which is of more importance to you to have a prime for.

If your shooting aps-c and primes I'd think 10-20 a critical General purpose range

otherwise you'll be shooting like  35-70 on FF.

I don't shoot wide primes but use the 16-20 region extensively.

Thank you
Russell

tassosDA
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

According to  photozone.de the 18-135 is one of the worst zoom lenses of Pentax! The sample they tested was actually so bad that they sended it back to Pentax- Germany to ask if it was defective. The reply from Pentax ( after testin the sample) was that the lens was whithin factory specifications!!! I dont own the lens but I would be very sceptical buying one cosidering also the fact that it isn't cheap either!! The best all around zoom lens from Pentax seems to be the 17-70 f4! If it had weather sealing it would be perfect.

tassosDA's gear list:tassosDA's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
audiobomber
Like?
In reply to tassosDA, 8 months ago

tassosDA wrote:

According to photozone.de the 18-135 is one of the worst zoom lenses of Pentax! The sample they tested was actually so bad that they sended it back to Pentax- Germany to ask if it was defective. The reply from Pentax ( after testin the sample) was that the lens was whithin factory specifications!!!

A terrible tragedy. Pentax Germany should have replaced the lens because it was surely defective. Try listening to actual users, you will hear a different story. A properly functioning DA 18-135 outperforms the DA 18-135mm throughout their common range.

Here's a report that compares the DA 18-135 to similar lenses from Canon and Sony. The Pentax scored below the new Canon and above the Sony and previous Canon:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52109191

Aside from the Pentax Forums In-Depth review, check these reviews:

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/06/lens-test-pentax-da-18-135mm-f35-56-dc-wr

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/smc-pentax-da-18-135mm-f-3-5-5-6-ed-al--if--dc-wr-lens-review-16544

-- hide signature --

Dan

tassosDA
Like?

I don't get this. Why did Pentax Germany not replace the lens in the first place if it was actually defective? Don't they know that photozone is considered to be a reliable and unbiased test site? Where they trying to destroy the name of one of their latest (and not cheapest) lenses? It doesn't make sense...

Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
Russell Evans
Like?

awaldram wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

awaldram wrote:

8-30 mm ?

If your shooting aps-c and primes I'd think 10-20 a critical General purpose range

otherwise you'll be shooting like 35-70 on FF.

I don't shoot wide primes but use the 16-20 region extensively.

Plenty of excellent Nikon zooms in the ultrawide or wide range that are faster than the Pentax primes in the range. If the exact focal length you want is not covered by Nikon lenses, then you know the range is covered by Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron. If you want big and excellent the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8. the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, or smaller and still excellent, the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, lots of options already and we haven't even started to look at the 16/17-35mm zooms available for Nikon.

Thank you
Russell

tassosDA
Like?

Btw the findings of ephotozine aren't that different compared to photozone. They also found high CAs,  weak corners and soft output in tele settings!

moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,827Gear list
Like?
eyes open or eyes closed
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 8 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Go to the store, handle all cameras you intend to use one day, close your eyes each time and react to the feeling of it.

I'm picturing a camera store salesperson witnessing this ^^

It's kinda true, though, the tactile feel of camera in hand should never be discounted. Specs only tell part of the tale.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
ZenImage
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

awaldram wrote:

8-30 mm ?

I believe that there is a 14mm f2.8. anything wider and you have to look at Sigma or Tamron, etc.

audiobomber
Like?
In reply to tassosDA, 8 months ago

tassosDA wrote:

Btw the findings of ephotozine aren't that different compared to photozone. They also found high CAs, weak corners and soft output in tele settings!

It's a superzoom, not a super lens.

Note though, that EPhotoZine said this: "In terms of photography in the field and in the studio, the lens performs very well. There's no doubt that images have superb colour, good sharpness and very pleasing bokeh. Aesthetically this scores very highly, producing very pleasant images."  They awarded it four stars, vs. 1.5 stars at Photozone. The verbiage and score in the PZ test was a real hatchet job.

-- hide signature --

Dan

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513Gear list
Like?

"You have a weak copy of the DA 18-135.  Here's an excerpt from the Pentax Forum In-Depth review of the 18-270 zoom:"

Thanks for the tip.  It is very helpful.   I will think about getting another copy of the 18-135.   And this time I would take a lot of test chart shots to refer to later before it has been banged around on multiple trips and vacations.

I am also thinking I may have gotten an exceptionally good Pentax 18-270.    I also have the 18-270 on a Sony and a Nikon mount and my Pentax 18-270 is somewhat sharper than my Sony version and a lot sharper than my Nikon version.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
ZenImage
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

awaldram wrote:

Stephenhampshire wrote:

The worst downside of shooting Pentax for me is the lac of third party support for things such as flash triggers,

http://www.aokatec.com/AK-TTL.html

Oh my gosh. That was awesome. Thanks for sharing this invaluable link!!:-D

Russell Evans
Like?

ZenImage wrote:

I believe that there is a 14mm f2.8. anything wider and you have to look at Sigma or Tamron, etc.

Not AF-S, just screw driven AF.

Thank you
Russell

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,882Gear list
Like?

I've shot Nikon digital cameras for ten years.  And you'll mostly see me posting on the Pentax forums, strange.  Anyway, I had some PK/A lenses from the late film era and decided to get a K-5, 2 1/2 years ago so I could use them again.  It proved to be an excellent IQ and rugged camera so I added a few K mount lenses.  I've sold a lot of my Nikon system but I still have a D7100 and two lenses - Nikkor 16-85 and Tamron 200-500.  The D7100 has about 4500 on the shutter count and one of those is my current "best selling " landscape (16-85 at f/5.6 and 35mm ISO100 1/500).  The D7100 is an excellent camera in good light.  It will focus down to -2ev and f/2.8.  Nikon focus tracking is excellent.  The Toshiba sensor suffers a bit from shadow banding at higher ISO in my opinion and I've been using Topaz denoise for that in post.  Overall it's a  fine camera but the features are less than the new K-3.  I sold another big chunk of gear and got a K-3 this year.  It focuses down to -3ev & I haven't yet dealt with a lot of shadow banding in the raws.  After firmware 1.02 the AF-C is as good as any and the frame buffer holds more images plus the raw files are a full 14-bit (Sony users take note).  The frame rate is faster and the camera balances the lens well.  The shutter is a sophisticated dampened 200000 mtbf shutter that will give excellent results off of a tripod.  Any lens one puts on there is 4 stop SR built into the camera.  I'm just now getting up to speed on the camera but I believe I'm going to like it a lot.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads