Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 10 months ago | Questions
ZenImage
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
10 months ago

Hello all!

I am upgrading from a d5200, I loved my camera, but as I'm growing as a photographer, I want something that is going to allow for more wiggle room. For a short time, I was looking into the 5300. But I'm not particularly interested in some of it's features...I'm not bashing, by any means, but I feel as though to me, some of it's features were a little gimmicky. I'm more interested in features that make practical sense, and will provide me with pro-like features for now as well as down the road. Having, at the time, only been exposed to Nikon, the logical step was the d7100. But I have no blind loyalty to any particular brand, and have started searching outside of the Canikon empire. I came across the K-3, and am VERY impressed with, well, just about everything! Both cameras have their strengths and weaknesses, so I guess my question is whether or not any of you out there have had an opportunity to shoot with both the K-3 or even the K-5IIs AND the d7100 or d7000 that can share with me their thoughts on both systems. I am COMPLETELY new to Pentax, and so have no basis for comparison. Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Thank you all!:-D

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
konanon
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 10 months ago

I was in the same boat as you. What I did was simple, I went to my local camera store(s) to handle the camera. Take it for a test drive, play around with it, scroll through the menus, try different lenses, etc. Bring a card with you so you can pixel peak to your heart's content.

When I first held the K-3, it fit perfectly in my hand. Triggering the shutter was very satisfying. I tried different cameras but I kept coming back to the K-3. Technically, I knew this camera was up there with anything available in the APS-C segment. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that is significantly better between the K-3 and its competition (IQ wise that is). Some will call me on this but that's the nature of posting to a public forum.

You are embarking in a very subjective journey. Reading reviews and reading people's opinions is valuable but in the end, you have to be happy with your purchase. Don't get brand Y because everyone else uses brand Y.

So, go to the store. Play around with the camera. Ask questions. Take a look at Ricoh's website (again, some will call me on this one. It's Pentax, right?). Get familiar with the lenses available, accessories, etc. Get familiar with the specs. That's important too.

I just recently picked-up the 20-40 limited. It's a great lens. Some will say it's not sharp. Mine is. Some find it too "slow". I'd prefer a constant f/2.8 but that's the compromise I'm making. Some don't like the zoom range. I wasn't sold at first but it's growing on me. Again, the first time I picked up this lens, it just felt right. In the end, I enjoy shooting with it and it's output is excellent.

And more importantly, I've been satisfied with my purchase.

Good luck!

konanon's gear list:konanon's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
The sensible thing is the D7100

ZenImage wrote:

Hello all!

I am upgrading from a d5200, I loved my camera, but as I'm growing as a photographer, I want something that is going to allow for more wiggle room. For a short time, I was looking into the 5300. But I'm not particularly interested in some of it's features...I'm not bashing, by any means, but I feel as though to me, some of it's features were a little gimmicky. I'm more interested in features that make practical sense, and will provide me with pro-like features for now as well as down the road. Having, at the time, only been exposed to Nikon, the logical step was the d7100. But I have no blind loyalty to any particular brand, and have started searching outside of the Canikon empire. I came across the K-3, and am VERY impressed with, well, just about everything! Both cameras have their strengths and weaknesses, so I guess my question is whether or not any of you out there have had an opportunity to shoot with both the K-3 or even the K-5IIs AND the d7100 or d7000 that can share with me their thoughts on both systems. I am COMPLETELY new to Pentax, and so have no basis for comparison. Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Thank you all!:-D

IMHO yes it is, nice AF, nice choices of lenses (if you already have them), extensive after market support. Everything about the D7100 is nice except if you are into burst mode a lot which will be a let down and the build quality is not really as nice even compared to the old K7.

I also heard that there is an incoming D7200? Could be worth the wait?

The K3 needs no introduction, it is a special kind of animal, it was what the D400 or the 7DII could have been. If you are not deeply invested in Nikon lenses, the K3 is currently the best APSC DSLR made today.

Now if you are not really into high FPS shooting, not really into sports and don't need AF-C, the K5II and the K5IIs are very special cameras. Fast and accurate AF-S with the highly regraded 16mp Sony CMOS sensor and the price is very accessible right now.

An there is also the rumored K60, a stripped down K3

As for lenses, Pentax has a complete lineup of APSC lenses and a possible FF 70-200 in the roadmap. The prime lenses are highly regarded and up there with Leica and Zeiss IMHO, there is also after market support from Sigma, some from Tamron and AFAIK all of Samyang's excellent lenses is also available in K mount (I think except for the 28mm tilt-shift lens?).

So if you are not heavily invested in Nikon, Pentax is an excellent option.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-r Pentax K-5 II Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PL1
Twong
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

As a long time Pentax user, I very much like to tell you K-3 is the way to go. However, I am not going to. D5200 is a very capable camera. Even the D3200 can capture great images. I don't think the "Pro" features that you mentioned will make any difference. Having said that, this hobby not doubt has a hardware orientation. The best thing to do is to switch brand regularly so that the desire will live on forever. And yes, I do upgrade.

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +16 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
It is all very subjective

Go to the store, handle all cameras you intend to use one day, close your eyes each time and react to the feeling of it.

Don’t think too hard about minutiae of specs, because if the underlying emotional response to your camera and lenses is not right, no amount of rationale will make you a happy photographer later on.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
photosbygar
Regular MemberPosts: 278
Like?

I agree with konanon and Zvonimir. My opinion is that all the brands have the guts for great images. Handling, ergonomics and perhaps lens selection are the deciding factors. I have shot with many Pentax cameras and currently use the K5 (plus K20 and K-R for some things). I went for Pentax for the handling of a K10D way back. IMO Pentax still beats Nikon in this department. Maybe I am finicky, but the placement of the wheels on Pentax are just a few millimeters different from Nikon and a couple of degrees in angle, but they make a huge difference to me. My camera is in my hand all day long almost every day (I earn my living through photography).

Having said all that, I am just about to buy a Nikon as I just nailed a very major client who specs either Nikon or Canon. Didn't win the argument that the brand didn't matter and so I will do as my client requires (it is due to certain processing that they do that they specify certain equipment - I am not selling prints to them).

So get both cameras in your hands and let your fingers do the walking. My advice would be, again if you are not heavily invested in Nikon lenses, to get the camera that you feel is intuitive, that works seamlessly with you and you can see yourself easily getting to the point where you don't have to think about handling the camera - it will be second nature.

Regardless  of your decision, remember that good photography is in the eye of the photographer, not built into the camera. Shoot lots and often.

Garth

-- hide signature --
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924Gear list
Like?

ZenImage wrote:

Hello all!

I had a D7000 before.  I just left nikon completely.  I recently went to my local camera store and unfortunately they did not have any pentax whatsoever.  If you go pentax definitely start with the K3.  I am sure it is a great camera.

From what i have read, i can't really say is this is true, but Nikon has major problems with Sigma, and they are not getting along.  What i am saying is that if you buy a 24MP camera you will NEED the best possible lenses available, and Sigma is one of those that makes very sharp lenses for hi res cameras.  I think sigma does have a pentax mount 17-50 OS, not sure, but if you buy any hi res camera just make sure NOT to buy cheap kit lenses, otherwise you are defeating the whole purpose of the 24MP sensor and might as well stay with a 16MP camera instead.

Have fun!

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Azzy
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?

I used Pentax for ~7 yrs (K10D, K-x, K-5, K-5 II, K-3) before switching to D600 which has similar control to D7xxx

Ergonomics wise pentax beats nikon hands down, I think for APS-C nothing comes close to K-3 in term of performance/feature/ergonomics to K-3 (maybe  the new XT1 but I never used any Fuji before).

Nikon has good customization for buttons / menu but in my experience Pentax is on another different level.

I'm also not a fan of D7100, if you shoot RAW the buffer size is just ridiculous.

With Pentax you do lose some options of third party accessories and lenses, this is one of the main reasons why I left Pentax.

I'd say if you see your future in APS-C, Pentax is a fine system, but if you're looking to upgrade to FF in the future....maybe its not the system for you....

-- hide signature --

My website and portfolio: http://luwindo.com/

Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,426Gear list
Like?

I switched from the D7000 to the K-5 IIs about 18 months ago. My primary interest in Pentax was to get access to use the superb, lightweight APS primes Pentax makes, but the ergonomics of the Pentax are excellent and it was a very easy transition for me. I am very happy with making the switch.

The K-5 IIs, like the K-3, does not have an anti-alias filter and I did see a step up in resolution with the K-5 IIs, even though it uses the same sensor as the D7000.

The K-3 is an excellent camera also, good luck with your choice!

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +4 more
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 782Gear list
Like?

The k5II or k3 and some limited primes are all the reason you need to buy Pentax.

If you want a great flash system, go with Nikon. If you want the ability to shoot NFL football at night, go with Canon. If you're a pro who needs the best of everything and can pay for it, Pentax may not be your best choice. But if you're an amateur who wants to have fun shooting with a unique set of prime lenses and don't mind not being part of the crowd, you have to go with Pentax. If you like the feel of the lenses as much as the pictures they take, you have to go with Pentax. Unique, quirky, great image quality, and fun: that's Pentax for you. It's the little guy, giving you something that the big guys can't. If that sounds like you, you have to go with Pentax. If not, take the safe road.

Good luck with your decision.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
In reply to Twong, 10 months ago

Twong wrote:

As a long time Pentax user, I very much like to tell you K-3 is the way to go. However, I am not going to. D5200 is a very capable camera. Even the D3200 can capture great images. I don't think the "Pro" features that you mentioned will make any difference.

Faster handling makes a huge difference to me. I never again want a DSLR with one control wheel. Pentax's larger OVF, weather-resistance and shake reduction put the final nail in the coffin for the lower and mid-level Nikons. Do they even have an AF motor? I'd take a K-50 over a D5200. The K-3 is simply in another league.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +15 more
MJSfoto1956
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?

ZenImage wrote: I came across the K-3, and am VERY impressed with, well, just about everything! Both cameras have their strengths and weaknesses, so I guess my question is whether or not any of you out there have had an opportunity to shoot with both the K-3 or even the K-5IIs AND the d7100 or d7000 that can share with me their thoughts on both systems.

I am a long-term Nikon shooter who currently has a fairly robust D800 system. I was looking for a 2nd body specifically for "long reach" and shot extensively with a D7000 and D7100 as well as Olympus OM-D E-M5 but I found that none of them did anything for me. Recently I rented a Pentax K-3 from LensRentals together with the DA* 60-250mm and I simply fell in love. It is the camera system that Nikon should have released years ago. But now that I own it, even if they *DID* release the long-awaited D400 I would not switch back. The reason is that nobody offers anything like the lightweight, constant aperture, fast focusing 60-250mm (90-375mm f/4 equivalent).

As I explore the system I'm trying out its promising Astrotracer functionality -- I have high hopes for this but even if I can't get it to do what I want, I'm totally happy now that I have a D800 + wide lenses and a K-3 plus long lens system.

Given that so many of my "peripherals" already work between the two systems (e.g. tripods, arca-compatible plates and panorama accessories, RAW processing software, digital asset management, SDHC cards, umbrellas, etc.) adding another camera body to my existing system is a no-brainer. I have even "force fitted" a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 onto the K-3 body and I get in-body vibration reduction and auto-exposure!! (fyi: the Nikkor 1800mm f/2.8 is damn sharp on the K-3!!). There is even an engineer in southeast asia who is working on a universal adapter for Pentax to accept Pentax or Nikon or Contax lenses without modification. If this guy delivers, I will be the first in line to make such a purchase.

As for lenses, I think the key thing about Pentax is that "smaller is better" (as well as water resistant) seems to be their mantra. And I eventually look forward to collecting a small collection of lightweight limited primes which seems to deliver excellent IQ in an extremely lightweight system. Might be a good place to start.

One last thing: I find that Pentax controls not that much different than Nikon controls. As such, switching between bodies is not as onerous as I had first thought. I now have both cameras set up as closely as possible and they now work together as "brothers".

Best of luck in your decision making!

J Michael Sullivan

MJSfoto1956's gear list:MJSfoto1956's gear list
Pentax K-3
Sanjeev Das
Contributing MemberPosts: 827Gear list
Like?

Yes, Nikon D80, D90, D7000 and then Pentax K5, K5 IIs and now the K3.

I am glad I made the switch and haven't looked back.

The D80 and D90 were excellent cameras, small and light. Then came the D7000. Bigger and heavier. That, coupled with my big 17-55 f/2.8 made me wanting for a small and light setup. I still wanted a top of the line camera and an OVF. Enter Pentax and the K5. The K5 and the small Limited lenses were an eye opener for me. The ergonomics of the camera just felt right, the camera seemed to melt in my hand. Together with the small, light and high quality lenses, I had a system I wanted to take everywhere. Pentax re-kindled my joy of photography. The autofocus was a bit iffy in the K5, the K5 IIs made it perfect. Now the K3. The K3 is better is many respects. The resolution is awesome. But it is bigger and heavier. Not big, but bigger. The K5 size was perfect IMO.

Sanjeev Das's gear list:Sanjeev Das's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 IIs Sony Alpha 7R Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?

I shot with both Pentax and Nikon, and only reason I went D7000 was I was using it for even photography and Pentax support for that category is not as good (flash and low light focus of the time).

For any other function I much preferred using my Pentax.  I had the K-5 and K-7, which are amazing feeling cameras, better built than a D7000, and the new K-3 is even better yet (but I haven't used this one).

So I think the new K-3 (and slightly older K-5II(s)) fix any of the low artificial light focus issues that plagued K-5 and K-7 in certain situations.  If I were to buy a Nikon or a Pentax today I would go with the Pentax, as I like light but well built cameras and I don't think there is a better SLR on the market which fits that need.  I shoot mostly mirrorless cameras now, but there are none with the same solid feeling as the top of the line K cameras.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?

I have a Nikon D7100+18-140 zoom lens.  Also I have a Pentax K3+18-135 zoom lens and 18-270 zoom lens.   (other lenses too but those are my work horses as a family/vacation photographer)

Advantage Nikon:   Fast worry free AF when using the optical view finder.    18-140 is very sharp.

Disadvantage Nikon: AF in LiveView slow and awful- it takes over a second to focus.  (LiveView is when you are looking at the monitor to frame and focus)   Representation of scene in LiveView matches poorly to what final photo will look like.  Colors are okay, not great.   Camera is needlessly bulky.  Does not fit properly into any of the over the shoulder camera bags of I have - slides in okay but is hard to pry out.  (someday I will order one on-line - nothing at our local Best Buy or Target fits my D7100 properly)

Advantage Pentax:  LiveView AF is fast and good.   Representation of scene in LiveView is good.  Good colors.   Quiet shutter - does not disturb my picky wife.  Compact.   Easy to use - good control layout and simple menus.    Easier to use in dark conditions because camera displays come on automatically when you need them.  (Nikon apparently does not even think about things like that)

Disadvantage Pentax:   18-135 zoom merely okay, not as good as the Nikon 18-140.   Pentax 18-270 is sharper at all focal lengths than the 18-135.   I put advantage Nikon for AF using the OVF.  But actually there is nothing wrong with the AF on the Pentax using OVF.  Fast and accurate for moving targets.  It is just the Nikon is better if you are interested in things that are moving really fast like your dog running straight at you (but then wouldn't you also like better burst modes than the D7100 has?)

90% sure the Pentax K3 is the one that goes on vacation with me and the family this summer.    Good LiveView AF and overall better ergonomics.   The 10% unsure factor is because that Nikon 18-140 truly is a marvelous lens.  Pentax does not have anything similar.   But the 18-140 is not weatherproof, and I have had lots of experience on vacation and with family, that weather resistant property of the Pentax 18-135 makes up for its not being as sharp as one might like.   From our vacation last year in Scotland, I would have taken half the shots I did if I had to wait for dry weather.   The 18-135 sharpens up considerably if you use it at f/8 instead of wide open.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +17 more
ZenImage
Like?
In reply to konanon, 10 months ago

Thank you, to all of you for your advice and for sharing your experiences. They have been super helpful with putting some things into perspective! In regards to visiting a camera store to test out different systems....uhh...well, Lakeland doesn't have any. Lol. Neither does Tampa. At least none that I am aware of, or that sell Pentax! (I still have yet to confirm whether or not Orlando has any) That has been my biggest road block; finding a retailer for Pentax...where I am currently living, if it's not Canon or Nikon, it isn't on the shelf. I have had to resort to tons and tons of online reviews and videos of the K-3 in order to piece together an idea of what it may be like. I can say this definitively though; I was not a fan of how the d7100 felt in my hands. That's at least another piece to the puzzle figured out. I think that lens selection would really be the only major deciding factor in favor of the d7100 for me. Canikon have an arsenal of lenses, as well as third party options. I was a little worried that Pentax seemed to have a short lens list (I agree with pairing that beast of a sensor with complimenting features to boot with glass that won't hold it back)....though they do have a line-up of lenses that they are looking to release (side question: can the k-3 take Q mount lenses? I herd at some point that you could use older Pentax lenses, but is that also true for other Pentax bodies?? I know some are mirror-less, but I don't know how that works). And I did hear something about a venture to bridge over lens brands! <# . I currently have the DA 50mm f1.8 prime lined up for the K-3, and I'm fairly certain that I'm gonna take that leap. Again, thanks! All of your feedback helped tremendously. Thank you as well for the best wishes!!!

*Hopefully I responded to this ok...I'm also new to forums, in general.

Best regards to all

-Jessica

ZenImage
Like?
Re: The sensible thing is the D7100
In reply to fakuryu, 10 months ago

fakuryu wrote:

ZenImage wrote:

Hello all!

IMHO yes it is, nice AF, nice choices of lenses (if you already have them), extensive after market support. Everything about the D7100 is nice except if you are into burst mode a lot which will be a let down and the build quality is not really as nice even compared to the old K7.

The K3 needs no introduction, it is a special kind of animal, it was what the D400 or the 7DII could have been. If you are not deeply invested in Nikon lenses, the K3 is currently the best APSC DSLR made today.

Now if you are not really into high FPS shooting, not really into sports and don't need AF-C, the K5II and the K5IIs are very special cameras. Fast and accurate AF-S with the highly regraded 16mp Sony CMOS sensor and the price is very accessible right now.

As for lenses, Pentax has a complete lineup of APSC lenses and a possible FF 70-200 in the roadmap. The prime lenses are highly regarded and up there with Leica and Zeiss IMHO, there is also after market support from Sigma, some from Tamron and AFAIK all of Samyang's excellent lenses is also available in K mount (I think except for the 28mm tilt-shift lens?).

I know that there was a huge debate on a far away thread somewhere within DP that went back and forth as to whether or not the d7100 and the K-3 were equally rugged and weather resistant. I was under the impression that the 7100 WAS just rugged, but from reading and watching more recent reviews, and hearing what you've just said about the comparison...I think the edge goes to the K-3. coincidentally enough, I don't have too many lenses for the Nikon that I owned, so theoretically, it's not too late to try something a little bit more out of the box. There is currently a Sigma lense that I'm lusting over, the 18-35 f1.8. And I have only dabbled a smidge with Samyang/ Rikonon/??, but they make a tasty ultra wide angle, albeit fish-eye..but I hear a lot of good reviews about it. I have heard mixed things about Tamron..but from what I am understanding, the list is continuing to grow. I will have to give the k5IIs a more thorough look over, I HAVE heard many good things about it...and the improvements made to it since it's 5II days. You do have a point there, that is also an option Thank you!

ZenImage
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 10 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

Twong wrote:

As a long time Pentax user, I very much like to tell you K-3 is the way to go. However, I am not going to. D5200 is a very capable camera. Even the D3200 can capture great images. I don't think the "Pro" features that you mentioned will make any difference.

Faster handling makes a huge difference to me. I never again want a DSLR with one control wheel. Pentax's larger OVF, weather-resistance and shake reduction put the final nail in the coffin for the lower and mid-level Nikons. Do they even have an AF motor? I'd take a K-50 over a D5200. The K-3 is simply in another league.

-- hide signature --

Dan

I'm not sure about the d7100, but the 52/5300 do not. They rely entirely on lenses specially designed with an auto focus motor built in. You can use older lenses with the newer mid-level bodies, but all focusing is manual. This looooonnnngggg list of lenses....AF-S listed at the beginning of every single one? Yep, all new and all with the motors built in to compensate for the bodies without them. This is not a complete list, I left out the teleconverter group. And you do have a point about that one control wheel.... :S

ZenImage
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 10 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

I have a Nikon D7100+18-140 zoom lens. Also I have a Pentax K3+18-135 zoom lens and 18-270 zoom lens. (other lenses too but those are my work horses as a family/vacation photographer)

Advantage Nikon: Fast worry free AF when using the optical view finder. 18-140 is very sharp.

Disadvantage Nikon: AF in LiveView slow and awful- it takes over a second to focus. (LiveView is when you are looking at the monitor to frame and focus) Representation of scene in LiveView matches poorly to what final photo will look like. Colors are okay, not great. Camera is needlessly bulky. Does not fit properly into any of the over the shoulder camera bags of I have - slides in okay but is hard to pry out. (someday I will order one on-line - nothing at our local Best Buy or Target fits my D7100 properly)

Advantage Pentax: LiveView AF is fast and good. Representation of scene in LiveView is good. Good colors. Quiet shutter - does not disturb my picky wife. Compact. Easy to use - good control layout and simple menus. Easier to use in dark conditions because camera displays come on automatically when you need them. (Nikon apparently does not even think about things like that)

Disadvantage Pentax: 18-135 zoom merely okay, not as good as the Nikon 18-140. Pentax 18-270 is sharper at all focal lengths than the 18-135. I put advantage Nikon for AF using the OVF. But actually there is nothing wrong with the AF on the Pentax using OVF. Fast and accurate for moving targets. It is just the Nikon is better if you are interested in things that are moving really fast like your dog running straight at you (but then wouldn't you also like better burst modes than the D7100 has?)

90% sure the Pentax K3 is the one that goes on vacation with me and the family this summer. Good LiveView AF and overall better ergonomics. The 10% unsure factor is because that Nikon 18-140 truly is a marvelous lens. Pentax does not have anything similar. But the 18-140 is not weatherproof, and I have had lots of experience on vacation and with family, that weather resistant property of the Pentax 18-135 makes up for its not being as sharp as one might like. From our vacation last year in Scotland, I would have taken half the shots I did if I had to wait for dry weather. The 18-135 sharpens up considerably if you use it at f/8 instead of wide open.

There is a lot to take into consideration here. THANKS!!!! Yea....I think it boils down to what aspects are going to count more than others for me and how and what I want to shoot. And which of those would I be willing to nix, and which can I not live without. The drawbacks to the K-3 are not really drawbacks to me. The only real concern that I could possibly fret over (WAY down the road, if ever) would be the speed of the AF. But I could care less about photographing really fast objects (I have no interest in sports photography) So I think that just photographing (normal) fast objects should be just fine for me. Not to mention, yes! I would have to agree with you that I would value a better burst rate, as well as a more weather resistant set up. I don't want any missed opportunities. And yes, I also agree with you about the size and bulk of the d7100. I mentioned in a response to an earlier thread that I have had numerous opportunities to hold and play with it, and every time I was left dissatisfied and un-impressed. Unfortunately I am familiar with that Live View issue..the 5200 has it as well. Adjusting setting is exceptionally tedious. I hope you are able to find a bag that works for it. I'll definitely keep that 18-270 in mind though!! I am about to take a trip to Hong Kong...and that sounds like a tasty walk-about lens. Thank you for the suggestion!

Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?
Re: The sensible thing is the D7100
In reply to fakuryu, 10 months ago

fakuryu wrote:

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

I must admit I am surprised by the small size of the buffers in most other cameras compared to the k5/k3 family. I am not one to want/need reallyhigh FPS, but I do do a lot of shooting in bursts, and 24/25 RAW frames is very handy to have - I often shoot maybe 3 or 4 1 second bursts of shots (I shoot a lot of trains - see http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/11471802426/in/photostream  and for the perfect shot with a good exhaust and "rods down" you often need to shoot groups of half a dozen frames)

The worst downside of shooting Pentax for me is the lac of third party support for things such as flash triggers, I get round this by not bothering with P-TTL flash too much (although I have a Metz 48 for HSS and fill-in) but using old fashioned "auto thyristor" flashes and optical triggers. Apart from that I haven't felt an urgent need to switch to Nikon, I have as many lenses as I want, I certainly don't feel particularly constrained in choices of glass (though I don't shoot a lot of wildlife, 300mm is my longest focal length

-- hide signature --
 Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads