Re: Ooooh Noooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In reply to stevo23, 10 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

How could Sony put better AF in its APSc line (A6000) than in its recently created full frame line? What were they thinking? Owners of the A7 and A7r must be really disappointed that their cameras were not endowed with this better technology, since they bought them just in the last few months.

As if that's the only spec that ever mattered in a camera...

The specs are all a moving target, I'm afraid, but I think Sony screwed the good-will pooch in letting out its full-frame cameras and a very few months later letting out an APSC camera with a superior major spec. To be frank, I was considering picking up an A7 or A7R before the A6000 came out. Now, I can see that these are not the "sweet spot" models. Gonna wait, but in the meantime pick up the A6000 to complement the NEX 6 and Canon equipment.

That's ridiculous. You can't seriously believe that every full frame camera has to have superior spec in every area to every APS-C camera.

Top of the line should have the best spec.

So then you're saying that the D4s should have a 36Mp sensor, the D7000 shouldn't have a 24Mp sensor. 5Dmkiii should have greater DR than 6D and on and on.

Look at the sum of the parts grasshopper. The sum of the parts.

Who says that 36mp sensor is Nikon's best?  What I am saying is that Sony hosed the buyers of the A7 and A7r, when Sony put out a downmarket camera a few months later with superior technology under the hood.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tone Row
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 10 months ago

Tuloom wrote:

I bet this gem makes it to 150.

Seems to be the intent of the OP who keeps egging on anyone foolish enough to feed him.

Tone Row's gear list:Tone Row's gear list
NEX5R Sony SLT-A55
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,653Gear list
Like?
In reply to Euell, 10 months ago

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

How could Sony put better AF in its APSc line (A6000) than in its recently created full frame line? What were they thinking? Owners of the A7 and A7r must be really disappointed that their cameras were not endowed with this better technology, since they bought them just in the last few months.

The specs are all a moving target, I'm afraid, but I think Sony screwed the good-will pooch in letting out its full-frame cameras and a very few months later letting out an APSC camera with a superior major spec. To be frank, I was considering picking up an A7 or A7R before the A6000 came out. Now, I can see that these are not the "sweet spot" models. Gonna wait, but in the meantime pick up the A6000 to complement the NEX 6 and Canon equipment.

That's ridiculous. You can't seriously believe that every full frame camera has to have superior spec in every area to every APS-C camera.

So then you're saying that the D4s should have a 36Mp sensor, the D7000 shouldn't have a 24Mp sensor. 5Dmkiii should have greater DR than 6D and on and on.

Who says that 36mp sensor is Nikon's best?

Trust me, it is.

What I am saying is that Sony hosed the buyers of the A7 and A7r, when Sony put out a downmarket camera a few months later with superior technology under the hood.

What you said is that the higher end camera should have the better specs. You've got a lot to learn if you don't realize why the A7 remains on top. Have you seen any A7 owners crying over it? Nope.

hip2
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

Euell wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

Euell wrote:

Son Of Mustang Ford wrote:

Euell wrote:

Son Of Mustang Ford wrote:

Euell wrote:

They were probably thinking something like ''it's not quite ready yet''. Now it is. Technology is constantly improving, by the time the 2nd generation A7's hit the market focus will have improved again.

No doubt, but since the product introductions were scant months apart, you would think that the top of the line would get the best AF.

No, At some point someone has to make the decision to freeze development and get the thing in the shops. The AF wasn't ready when the decision was made. You can bet there was a faction trying to get the release held back so that better AF would be ready, but another faction was shouting out the Nikon and Fuji rumours and wanting to get the thing out there ASAP - they won.

In a few months there will be a new Sony with some feature much better than the equivalent feature on the A600 ''why didn't they wait'' will be the shout - simple - they couldn't, they had to get the A6000 out there to combat the X-T1.

Cheers. C

Yatta yatta. The folks who bought the A7 or A7r should buy an upgraded camera in a few months after having bought their A7 or A7r within the last few months??!! Oh, my. Sony screwed these people.

You're not making any sense. The folks who bought those cameras knew they weren't getting top flight AF. If they wanted that, there were plenty of other options on the market not sold by Sony.

As I recall, Sony was not advertising "world's fastest AF" when they announced the A7 (A7r doesn't even have PDAF as far as I know.) Production schedule has little to do with something that might be based on hardware improvements (new sensor, new processor.)

"Scant months" is an eternity when your paycheck depends on a steady flow of new products. A7 and A7r are a particular market segment with no peers regardless of AF performance. The A6000 market is much more competitive in terms of AF.

Bart

-- hide signature --

agree with you. Sony makes different models to target different markets. Obviously they want their APS-C (a6000) model to be more sports orientated, whereas the full frame (a7 nand A7r) is more aimed at portraits and nature where IQ, bokeh and artistry is dominant and where focused subjects do not move out of the focal plane in any kind of haste.

Disagree. None of the small mirrorless (Leica similar shaped) are well suited for use with long telephoto lenses suitable for sports. DSLR's far better in that regard.

"sports" is not always only about huge long fat heavy lenses...

and every one that shoots "sports" photos is not always making money off them...

especially in the market that these cameras are targeting.

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

hip2's gear list:hip2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
hip2
Like?
In reply to bigley Ling, 10 months ago

bigley Ling wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Nope. Not disappointed at all. I shoot mostly manual focus anyway.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

You would have so with the extremely limited range of FE glass made available!

You mean you can't use all E mount lenses on the A7? Also can't use the A mount lenses and the LA-EA4? Wow. I shoot MF by choice, with legacy SLR lenses, but I thought other A7 users had some options. Now I do feel sorry for them.

-- hide signature --

Yes you can mount all E Mount lens on the A7, but why would you, as you would be wasting all that full frame goodness on APS-C lens.

why wouldn't you ? if you already have the lens, and it fits perfectly for the picture you are trying to take...

the only thing that might be disappointing is that when i take a picture, the whole world hears the shutter and turn to me

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,237Gear list
Like?

Euell wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

Euell wrote:

Yatta yatta. The folks who bought the A7 or A7r should buy an upgraded camera in a few months after having bought their A7 or A7r within the last few months??!! Oh, my. Sony screwed these people.

You're not making any sense. The folks who bought those cameras knew they weren't getting top flight AF. If they wanted that, there were plenty of other options on the market not sold by Sony.

As I recall, Sony was not advertising "world's fastest AF" when they announced the A7 (A7r doesn't even have PDAF as far as I know.) Production schedule has little to do with something that might be based on hardware improvements (new sensor, new processor.)

"Scant months" is an eternity when your paycheck depends on a steady flow of new products. A7 and A7r are a particular market segment with no peers regardless of AF performance. The A6000 market is much more competitive in terms of AF.

Bart

-- hide signature --

agree with you. Sony makes different models to target different markets. Obviously they want their APS-C (a6000) model to be more sports orientated, whereas the full frame (a7 nand A7r) is more aimed at portraits and nature where IQ, bokeh and artistry is dominant and where focused subjects do not move out of the focal plane in any kind of haste.

Disagree. None of the small mirrorless (Leica similar shaped) are well suited for use with long telephoto lenses suitable for sports. DSLR's far better in that regard.

What do other mirrorless cameras have to do with anything?  We're not talking about professional sports shooting here and we're not talking about DSLR's.  We're just comparing the A7 with the A6000.

The 55-210 is small and light and a joy to handle IMO, it just needs a focus servo that thinks more quickly than the NEX-6.

The E-mount system needs a 300mm light-weight zoom (70-300, F/4-5.6 sort of lens).

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +10 more
Bart Hickman
Like?
In reply to bigley Ling, 10 months ago

bigley Ling wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Nope. Not disappointed at all. I shoot mostly manual focus anyway.

-- hide signature --

You would have so with the extremely limited range of FE glass made available!

You mean you can't use all E mount lenses on the A7? Also can't use the A mount lenses and the LA-EA4? Wow. I shoot MF by choice, with legacy SLR lenses, but I thought other A7 users had some options. Now I do feel sorry for them.

-- hide signature --

Yes you can mount all E Mount lens on the A7, but why would you, as you would be wasting all that full frame goodness on APS-C lens.

Telephoto lens for one thing.  Maybe a person is going hiking and they don't want to schlepp some massive FF telephoto lens--just stick the little 55-210 in their bag.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +10 more
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 10 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

Who says that 36mp sensor is Nikon's best?

Trust me, it is.

What I am saying is that Sony hosed the buyers of the A7 and A7r, when Sony put out a downmarket camera a few months later with superior technology under the hood.

What you said is that the higher end camera should have the better specs. You've got a lot to learn if you don't realize why the A7 remains on top. Have you seen any A7 owners crying over it? Nope.

And, you, my friend, have a lot to learn if you think that the A7 and its R variant are not soon  to be replaced by new models with the AF technology in the A6000. Whether you cry or not is your business.

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +15 more
Bart Hickman
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 10 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Faster AF can't replace the virtues of a larger sensor otherwise Nikon 1-series would have taken over the world.

And fast AF is not the end all and be all. Between identical models, all else being equal I would go with faster Af. But if my priority is virtues of a larger sensor, I will go for the larger sensor, much like pro sports DSLRs still settle for lower resolution while a7r/D800 for slower AF.

Fast and accurate AF is really, incredibly valuable.  It's not everything, but I'd argue it's the most important thing most of the time.  I certainly lose more images to the shortcomings of the AF on my NEX-6 than to any other aspect of the camera or my lenses.  Any relative shortcomings of the APS-C sensor relative to FF would be way down on the list.  And most professional photographs I see posted here or in magazines could've been shot with either sensor size.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Euell
Like?
In reply to Bart Hickman, 10 months ago

Bart Hickman wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Faster AF can't replace the virtues of a larger sensor otherwise Nikon 1-series would have taken over the world.

And fast AF is not the end all and be all. Between identical models, all else being equal I would go with faster Af. But if my priority is virtues of a larger sensor, I will go for the larger sensor, much like pro sports DSLRs still settle for lower resolution while a7r/D800 for slower AF.

Fast and accurate AF is really, incredibly valuable. It's not everything, but I'd argue it's the most important thing most of the time. I certainly lose more images to the shortcomings of the AF on my NEX-6 than to any other aspect of the camera or my lenses. Any relative shortcomings of the APS-C sensor relative to FF would be way down on the list. And most professional photographs I see posted here or in magazines could've been shot with either sensor size.

Bart

-- hide signature --

+1

hip2
Like?

Euell wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Euell wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

Full frame sensors are more challenging to develop. The AF features provided by the A6000 sensor will work their way up to the full frame line I believe.

I'm not upset...the a7R is great for my purposes. I wouldn't have wanted them to hold up the release for this.

-Tim

Euell wrote:

I'm sure those AF features or even better AF will work its way up to the full frame line. Some people say they don't care and/or never use AF anyway. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

No. You just don't get it.

I was actually very pleased to see that Sony was trying to push better AF into their more mainsteam mirrorless lineup, but I bought a NEX-5 for legacy glass, I upgraded to a NEX-7 for legacy glass, and the A7 was basically the camera I've been waiting for since digital ILCs were introduced.

What's the A6000 sensor going to do for me? It's APS-C. I want full frame. It has better PDAF... that's not even going to give me faster focus peaking. If they had included this functionality in the A7, I wouldn't have minded, but it would also have made very little (if any) difference in how I use my camera.

Sorry not to support your theory. BTW, odds are, if you had bought an A7, you would probably have already returned it because it doesn't appear to be the right camera for what you want to do. Isn't that why you didn't buy one? Have you pre-ordered your A6000 yet?

-- hide signature --

Yes, preordered the A6000 from B&H. I'm not sure Sony full frame is in the picture for me, more likely Canon or maybe even Nikon, due to the paucity of quality Sony full frame lenses and Sony pricing on its lenses.

The 55mm is a bargain and it could be the only lens you ever need

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Euell
Like?
55mm
In reply to hip2, 10 months ago

hip2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Euell wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

Full frame sensors are more challenging to develop. The AF features provided by the A6000 sensor will work their way up to the full frame line I believe.

I'm not upset...the a7R is great for my purposes. I wouldn't have wanted them to hold up the release for this.

-Tim

Euell wrote:

I'm sure those AF features or even better AF will work its way up to the full frame line. Some people say they don't care and/or never use AF anyway. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I was actually very pleased to see that Sony was trying to push better AF into their more mainsteam mirrorless lineup, but I bought a NEX-5 for legacy glass, I upgraded to a NEX-7 for legacy glass, and the A7 was basically the camera I've been waiting for since digital ILCs were introduced.

What's the A6000 sensor going to do for me? It's APS-C. I want full frame. It has better PDAF... that's not even going to give me faster focus peaking. If they had included this functionality in the A7, I wouldn't have minded, but it would also have made very little (if any) difference in how I use my camera.

Sorry not to support your theory. BTW, odds are, if you had bought an A7, you would probably have already returned it because it doesn't appear to be the right camera for what you want to do. Isn't that why you didn't buy one? Have you pre-ordered your A6000 yet?

-- hide signature --

Yes, preordered the A6000 from B&H. I'm not sure Sony full frame is in the picture for me, more likely Canon or maybe even Nikon, due to the paucity of quality Sony full frame lenses and Sony pricing on its lenses.

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Too long for general use on APSc.

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,999Gear list
Like?
re: 55mm? actually... TOO SHORT

Euell wrote:

I'd much prefer 85/1.4, 100/2 or even 135/2 - classic short teles, but neither is even on S's road map !!

jpr2

eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 770Gear list
Like?

We don't really know yet, how good the A6000 AF is.

I wouldn't be worried in the least if I had already purchased an A7r. I haven't bought the A7r yet, but almost certainly will be doing so.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +18 more
hip2
Like?
Re: 55mm

Euell wrote:

hip2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Euell wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

-Tim

Euell wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Then use it on Full Frame, which was what you were talking about...

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Euell
Like?
In reply to hip2, 10 months ago

hip2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

hip2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Euell wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

-Tim

Euell wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Not I, Sir.

hip2
Like?
Re: re: 55mm? actually... TOO SHORT
In reply to jpr2, 10 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

I'd much prefer 85/1.4, 100/2 or even 135/2 - classic short teles, but neither is even on S's road map !!

jpr2

for the E-mount, these might be too big.

you might get the same focal lengths, but smaller apertures to match the A7 bodies.

though a 85/1.8 or /2 and 135/4 with the same quality as the current 55mm could be more than enough for me

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Catnapp
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

Hi everybody. First post ever, so if you wish, can flame me.

Anyways, the A7 autofocus should be improved via firmware. In daylight conditions its ok, however it can become hesitant in less then ideal (contrasty) situation. And i have experience with the 35 mm, not the 55, which i read is slower in this respect.

As i understand the R model was developed for more static, kinda slomo situations, whereas the Rless model with 120ish PDAF detectors for faster operation. And thats an excellent idea. Now jump to the reviews, and what U see is that there is no major difference in lower light AF-ing quality, well me personally cant prove that, -dont have both cameras- is just what i read.

And here comes the A6000. Very nice camera, compact-simple-fast. Very fast. Now, really dont care about worlds fastestbiggestshortestblahblah, but dont U think its kinda strange? On one hand there is the A7 with soso AF, three month later, with a relatively smaller sensor the 6000 with the worlds best AF, as Sony proudly claims it to be.

I think its a reasonable expectation to have some of that tech injected to the A7.  If they do, i promise i buy the 55mm. If not,  oh well........ Will keep takin pictures

have a nice day

catnapp

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,971Gear list
Like?
Its very strange for sure

Euell wrote:

Because they did use the same MF in both cameras.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
hip2
Like?

Euell wrote:

hip2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

hip2 wrote:

Euell wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Euell wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

-Tim

Euell wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Not I, Sir.

you were the one that said "I'm not sure Sony full frame is in the picture for me, more likely Canon or maybe even Nikon, due to the paucity of quality Sony full frame lenses and Sony pricing on its lenses."

it's even in the quote...

i suggested the 55mm as the only lens you would ever need...
but you seem only here to bash on Sony systems anyway, so you don't care or you will try to dodge most of the remarks people are making, like you are trying right now

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads