Ooooh Noooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100Gear list
Like?
Ooooh Noooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9 months ago

How could Sony put better AF in its APSc line (A6000) than in its recently created full frame line? What were they thinking? Owners of the A7 and A7r must be really disappointed that their cameras were not endowed with this better technology, since they bought them just in the last few months.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,845Gear list
Like?
Re: Ooooh Noooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In reply to Euell, 9 months ago

Let me introduce you the Canon 7D and the 5DMKII (and 6D, for that matter).

Yawn.

Different horses for different courses. People who think strictly in product hierarchies are those that can't afford more than one product.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Son Of Mustang Ford
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Like?

Euell wrote:

How could Sony put better AF in its APSc line (A6000) than in its recently created full frame line? What were they thinking? Owners of the A7 and A7r must be really disappointed that their cameras were not endowed with this better technology, since they bought them just in the last few months.

They were probably thinking something like ''it's not quite ready yet''. Now it is. Technology is constantly improving, by the time the 2nd generation A7's hit the market focus will have improved again.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,909Gear list
Like?

Nope. Not disappointed at all. I shoot mostly manual focus anyway.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,964
Like?

Euell wrote:

How could Sony put better AF in its APSc line (A6000) than in its recently created full frame line?

Sensor-based technology usually makes its way up the sensor chain, from smallest to largest.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,837Gear list
Like?

Faster AF can't replace the virtues of a larger sensor otherwise Nikon 1-series would have taken over the world.

And fast AF is not the end all and be all. Between identical models, all else being equal I would go with faster Af. But if my priority is virtues of a larger sensor, I will go for the larger sensor, much like pro sports DSLRs still settle for lower resolution while a7r/D800 for slower AF.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
anagram4wander2
Regular MemberPosts: 314Gear list
Like?

Euell wrote:

I really can't complain about the speed of focus on my a7r.... Sure superfast would be nice - but I knew what I was buying into...

anagram4wander2's gear list:anagram4wander2's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, 9 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

Nope. Not disappointed at all. I shoot mostly manual focus anyway.

LOL - this!! 

In the time it'll take me to acquire dedicated AF lenses (assuming I even do) I'm sure they'll get the a newer body up to speed.

Also: I'm not entirely convinced that this A6000 will be the ultimate game-changer some folks are making it out to be. I hope it is, but grandiose AF claims have been getting made for a real long time.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Heaven is for real
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320Gear list
Like?

Euell wrote:

I love my A7 due to the sharpest and clean images. AF is fast using 35 F2.8 so not an issue for me.

Heaven is for real's gear list:Heaven is for real's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?

A7r is my landscape / travel camera and I usualy work on a tripod with manual focus lenses.

I'll be picking up an A6000 to complement it for family portraits, and to get a higher pixel density for telephoto work eg wildlife...

-- hide signature --
 Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?

Full frame sensors are more challenging to develop.  The AF features provided by the A6000 sensor will work their way up to the full frame line I believe.

I'm not upset...the a7R is great for my purposes.  I wouldn't have wanted them to hold up the release for this.

-Tim

Euell wrote:

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +13 more
Dennishh
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tim Devine, 9 months ago

Not at all

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,162Gear list
Like?

Euell wrote:

Oh no! Another cameraholic drawing comparisons.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
blakninja
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to Richt2000, 9 months ago

I've never used AF in my life so I guess this won't affect a bunch of us.

Euell
Like?
In reply to DtEW, 9 months ago

DtEW wrote:

Let me introduce you the Canon 7D and the 5DMKII (and 6D, for that matter).

Yawn.

Different horses for different courses. People who think strictly in product hierarchies are those that can't afford more than one product.

Most thought that was an anomaly.  The 5DMKIII, of course, has much better AF than the 7D

Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Euell
Like?
In reply to Son Of Mustang Ford, 9 months ago

Son Of Mustang Ford wrote:

Euell wrote:

They were probably thinking something like ''it's not quite ready yet''. Now it is. Technology is constantly improving, by the time the 2nd generation A7's hit the market focus will have improved again.

No doubt, but since the product introductions were scant months apart, you would think that the top of the line would get the best AF.

Euell
Like?
In reply to Dennis, 9 months ago

Dennis wrote:

Euell wrote:

How could Sony put better AF in its APSc line (A6000) than in its recently created full frame line?

Sensor-based technology usually makes its way up the sensor chain, from smallest to largest.

Interesting theory, but no

Euell
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Faster AF can't replace the virtues of a larger sensor otherwise Nikon 1-series would have taken over the world.

And fast AF is not the end all and be all. Between identical models, all else being equal I would go with faster Af. But if my priority is virtues of a larger sensor, I will go for the larger sensor, much like pro sports DSLRs still settle for lower resolution while a7r/D800 for slower AF.

Why trade? When you pay the big bucks, you expect to get the bang that price deserves, eh?

Euell
Like?
In reply to Tim Devine, 9 months ago

Tim Devine wrote:

Full frame sensors are more challenging to develop. The AF features provided by the A6000 sensor will work their way up to the full frame line I believe.

I'm not upset...the a7R is great for my purposes. I wouldn't have wanted them to hold up the release for this.

-Tim

Euell wrote:

I'm sure those AF features or even better AF will work its way up to the full frame line.  Some people say they don't care and/or never use AF anyway.  Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Euell
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 9 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

Oh no! Another cameraholic drawing comparisons.

Nah, I'm just trolling, but if I had bought an A7 or A7r, I'd be pis*ed off given the short time period between introduction of those bodies and the A6000.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads