Show your 300mm pics(while we wait for 2015)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
a13
a13
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: Show your 300mm pics(while we wait for 2015)
In reply to Electriq, 5 months ago

Electriq wrote:

P.S. Hitchcock's movie is great!

175 mm

Love this one too.. even if it breaks the rules.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
klythawk
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
In reply to local novice, 5 months ago

Thanks for looking, John.

-- hide signature --
 klythawk's gear list:klythawk's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +6 more
local novice
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
In reply to bencr, 5 months ago

bencr wrote:

Lineated Woodpecker

Volcano Hummingbird

Jacana

Groove-billed Ani

Acorn Woodpecker

Great Kiskadee

Violet Sabrewing Hummingbird

These along with all the other posts are exceptionally fine.  What lens did you use? Were these handheld? What % are keepers with the kit used for these pics?

local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,922
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 5 months ago

jalywol wrote:

GrzegorzC wrote:

These are both terrific shots!

TheManWhoWas
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?

Two where I needed all the zoom I could get!

I got the old Four Thirds version of this lens to make the most of my day at the London Olympics

Switzerland

TheManWhoWas's gear list:TheManWhoWas's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
bencr
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

local novice wrote:

These along with all the other posts are exceptionally fine. What lens did you use? Were these handheld? What % are keepers with the kit used for these pics?

These were all taken with the 100-300mm hand-held using IBIS on the EM-5.  My keeper rate is pretty low.  I have a hard time getting shots 100% sharp.  The depth of field is typically very narrow since I rarely have enough light to shoot above f5.6.  I also tend to cheat on the shutter speed, relying on the IBIS, to keep the ISO down as much as I can.  Sometimes focus isn't quite bang on the eye, sometimes there is hand shake, sometimes the bird is moving too quickly etc.  I also have a large number of shots that just aren't 100% sharp and I don't quite know why.  I also have a particular talent at catching a bird when it is blinking - particularly hummingbirds. When I can I stop down to f6.3 - f8 and my keeper rate goes up a lot, but I rarely have that much light.  If the bird is hanging out at a particular spot for a few minutes I will usually have a couple of shots that I'm happy with technically.  If they are moving through I might not get anything.

bencr's gear list:bencr's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,347
Like?

Ok.

Fleabag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,293
Like?

A random few

Crappie
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fleabag, 5 months ago

75-300 mark1

OM300mm f4.5

70-300

Crappie's gear list:Crappie's gear list
Canon PowerShot TX1 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
local novice
Like?
In reply to bencr, 5 months ago

bencr wrote:

local novice wrote:

These along with all the other posts are exceptionally fine. What lens did you use? Were these handheld? What % are keepers with the kit used for these pics?

These were all taken with the 100-300mm hand-held using IBIS on the EM-5. My keeper rate is pretty low. I have a hard time getting shots 100% sharp. The depth of field is typically very narrow since I rarely have enough light to shoot above f5.6. I also tend to cheat on the shutter speed, relying on the IBIS, to keep the ISO down as much as I can. Sometimes focus isn't quite bang on the eye, sometimes there is hand shake, sometimes the bird is moving too quickly etc. I also have a large number of shots that just aren't 100% sharp and I don't quite know why. I also have a particular talent at catching a bird when it is blinking - particularly hummingbirds. When I can I stop down to f6.3 - f8 and my keeper rate goes up a lot, but I rarely have that much light. If the bird is hanging out at a particular spot for a few minutes I will usually have a couple of shots that I'm happy with technically. If they are moving through I might not get anything.

That has been my experience too (I feel your pain).  If the little buggers would just stay still...What do you think about the proposed oly 300? Are you interested?

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
local novice
Like?
In reply to Crappie, 5 months ago

Crappie wrote:

75-300 mark1

OM300mm f4.5

70-300

Wow #1 and 3 are  just wow. is the 70-300 the 4/3 lens?

local novice
Like?
In reply to klythawk, 5 months ago

klythawk wrote:

Thanks for looking, John.

-- hide signature --

I am really enjoying all the replies to this post.  that dragonfly pic is just amazing.  Do you use a grip on your em5?

Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,922
Like?
In reply to Crappie, 5 months ago

Crappie wrote:

70-300

This reminds me of those beautiful National Audubon Society illustrations.

Timothy Stark
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?

I generally shoot with my E-P1, and GF2. However I keep a Pentax body around for 1 lens; Pentax F* 300 4.5. If the new Olympus 300 is as good, I'll be selling my Pentax gear.

-- hide signature --

Cartier Bresson wasn't concerned with digital resolution!

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,347
Like?

This thread is full of awesome.

bencr
Like?

local novice wrote:

bencr wrote:

local novice wrote:

These were all taken with the 100-300mm hand-held using IBIS on the EM-5. My keeper rate is pretty low. I have a hard time getting shots 100% sharp. The depth of field is typically very narrow since I rarely have enough light to shoot above f5.6. I also tend to cheat on the shutter speed, relying on the IBIS, to keep the ISO down as much as I can. Sometimes focus isn't quite bang on the eye, sometimes there is hand shake, sometimes the bird is moving too quickly etc. I also have a large number of shots that just aren't 100% sharp and I don't quite know why. I also have a particular talent at catching a bird when it is blinking - particularly hummingbirds. When I can I stop down to f6.3 - f8 and my keeper rate goes up a lot, but I rarely have that much light. If the bird is hanging out at a particular spot for a few minutes I will usually have a couple of shots that I'm happy with technically. If they are moving through I might not get anything.

That has been my experience too (I feel your pain). If the little buggers would just stay still...What do you think about the proposed oly 300? Are you interested?

I am really excited about the 300 f4 announcement - I started saving when they put out the lens roadmap with a super tele on it.  This is basically the lens I was hoping they were going to make, although I'm disappointed that it isn't going to be available this year.  The really big question is price.  If it is around $1500 then they can take my money, if it is $2000 then I'm not sure if I can swing that.  I'll have to start looking around the garage for junk I can sell.  I'm also curious about the size and weight - I'm expecting something similar to a FF 300 f4, but hoping they can keep the weight down a bit.  It doesn't have IS so that should help some.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
thk0
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
 thk0's gear list:thk0's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
bencr
Like?
In reply to Fleabag, 5 months ago

Fleabag wrote:

A random few

That last one is just awesome! Very nicely done!

Olympus OM-D E-M5
William Prip
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
Some US Open (tennis) pics

Bob657
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
In reply to GrzegorzC, 5 months ago

Very cool shot of the gulls!

Panasonic G2 and 100-300  American Kestrel

EM5 and 100-:00 White faced Ibis

-- hide signature --

Bob G

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads