And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
dL302
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Re: And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...
In reply to khunfred, 7 months ago

Just want to chime in for a bit here, to give a different perspective on the Fuji system. I am sure everyone knows the pros (skin tones, IQ, aperture ring on lens.. oh so smart) so I won't mention those.

I have been using Nikon for ages and got my first Fuji exactly one year ago with the XE1 but sold it in less than a year.

Few reasons why I am a bit concerned about Fuji and hopefully Fuji will be listening:

1. APS-C. No matter what, it isn't full frame. I'll be the first to come back when Fuji comes out with a FF system. Better yet if Nikon has a FF mirrorless that supports all existing lens. I just don't get the DOF I want and 6400 and higher is not really usable IMO. I am too spoiled with setting Auto ISO of 12800 and higher and let it shoot. 4/3... Even worse.

2. AF. Too slow (on the x-e1). Too late also because I sold it already before the firmware upgrade near the end of 2013. It's probably better now but it was a huge deal breaker for me. It's probably better now, no doubt.

3. WB. I don't know if my XE1 was defective but anytime it is indoors, the AWB is just overly warm. I think it is to compensate for nicer skin tones, but I much prefer to have an accurate AWB. Yes, you can manually adjust, but AWB to me is a key factor. I never adjust WB until post (unless I shoot video) and if a system can have accurate AWB, it will always win points in my book. Someone please tell me that the new Fuji's have improved their AWB algorithm on their new system. Not a deal breaker for most, especially if you shoot RAW.

4. Build quality and QC. In less than a year, my extremely lightly used XE1 exhibits squeaky buttons as if I have owned this thing for 10+ years. Probably a one off, but I have noticed the build quality to be subpar. The lens came with some small cosmetic defects but I had to live with that copy because all other copies have noticeable dust inside the element. I know dust is normal, but the sample of copies I encountered didn't inspire confidence for me. Small matter, but a concerning one to me.

5. Somewhat unresponsive. Firmware related probably but the overall menu system and operations just feels kinda choppy. The new XT1 menu didn't change and it just feels kinda slow to change settings. Definitely not the same feeling as the 5D3, D800 or even the A7. Not the end of the world, but worth noting. And this is super minor, but I just don't really like the look of the menu system. I think they need a better marketing and GUI team.

6. EVF. Choppy and laggy on the XE1. Neither the EVF nor the low res screen inspired me much. XT1 probably solved it. Will have to see.

7. X-trans & LR. I think I just got Fuji at the wrong time but the support for LR was limited early last year and it was an awkward decision for me to think if I should shoot JPEG for better IQ or RAW for better WB adjustment. I know there are other softwares but I am stubborn haha. Again, it's probably better now? Please tell me it is.

These are not end-of-world issues but just something to note. Can't always read the pros or you will be brainwashed haha.

I can share my side of the Sony if anyone cares to hear about it here. I'm always lurking here as I see huge potential in the Fuji system. Just not the right time for me to comeback yet. Give me a FF XT1 at $1699 and I an back! But they need to focus on perfecting the APSC lineup first.

dL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,482Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aethon, 7 months ago

Aethon wrote:

Well, sure. If you are happy to use over-sized FF lenses on a crop-sensor camera.

But you can't pretend that it isn't a compromise.

Not to mention, extremely over-priced if you decided to get them for your APS-C Sony.

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
RX100 III
Sun Wu Kong
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to dL302, 7 months ago

DL,

I bought a Fuji XE-1 in May of last year with the 35 1.4.  I almost sold it due to a lot of the issues you mention below.  For me, the key deal-breakers:

1) AF - although part of it was prob the lens' AF mechanism of the 35 1.4 - it's noisy and maybe physically slower then other Fuji lenses, I'm guessing,

2) EVF lag and also I could never be sure what my shot looked like until I got to a computer - the rear LCD was too low resolution (not sure if it's just resolution but screen quality as well) and I never really got an intuitive feel which could match up what I saw in the EVF with what the file would look like (for OVF - what you see doesn't match exactly either but somehow, either through experience or other reasons, I think have a good idea what I'm going to see on the computer).

3) General lack of responsiveness of the camera.

I've never had any major AWB issues and I think whether LR is still a problem or not may be a personal decision.  For me, it's not.   As far as FF Fuji, I actually think I can live with APSC as the lens size will remain smaller (the 23mm 1.4 is about as big a lens as I would want on a mirrorless system) and the IQ is good enough for when I'm not willing to haul a larger system.

I generally like to shoot wider than 50mm, so part of my unease was also the focal length, but I thought I'd try it out as I'd been eyeing mirrorless for a while, and really wanted to see what it was about.

Anyways, I walked into a store, I think to buy an 18mm/f2 lens to give the Fuji one last shot, but they didn't have it.  The store manager told me the 23mm 1.4 just came in, however!  This was unexpected as, at the time, I was expecting it to come in 1-2 mos. later.  I couldn't resist trying it as I knew I could probably sell it quickly with little loss, given the limited supply at the time.

The 23mm 1.4 plus the firmware update transformed the camera into a keeper.  I still have issues with #2 and #3 above.  But the AF is now at the threshold of "good enough".  And I like this lens so much better than the 35 1.4.  Part of it is the focal length.   #2 is my biggest issue, but I can accept the shortcomings now because invariably, when I get to a computer, I'm extremely happy with the results.  Maybe with more experience, I'll get more comfortable with the EVF/rear LCD.

Also, it's hard to get a 35mm eq. 1.4 lens for APSC in any other system - which is the big draw for me to Fuji.  I've thought about slapping a Canon 24L on an SL1 or putting a Canon 35 f/2 IS on a 6D for a lighter system and calling it day.  Either option would keep me more in one manufacturer's circle, but I think either would still be too heavy and/or large.

I'm wondering if the XT-1 would solve my #2 and #3 above. And I wouldn't mind faster AF.  I'm afraid to buy it though because at the rate Fuji has been iterating, they're probably going to have an XT-1 like camera with improvements and a new sensor within 1-1.5 years, and I'll have a hard time justifying buying that so soon after the XT-1.

Anyways - I'd be interested in hearing about your Sony experience, as you so kindly offered to do.

- S

dL302 wrote:

Just want to chime in for a bit here, to give a different perspective on the Fuji system. I am sure everyone knows the pros (skin tones, IQ, aperture ring on lens.. oh so smart) so I won't mention those.

I have been using Nikon for ages and got my first Fuji exactly one year ago with the XE1 but sold it in less than a year.

Few reasons why I am a bit concerned about Fuji and hopefully Fuji will be listening:

1. APS-C. No matter what, it isn't full frame. I'll be the first to come back when Fuji comes out with a FF system. Better yet if Nikon has a FF mirrorless that supports all existing lens. I just don't get the DOF I want and 6400 and higher is not really usable IMO. I am too spoiled with setting Auto ISO of 12800 and higher and let it shoot. 4/3... Even worse.

2. AF. Too slow (on the x-e1). Too late also because I sold it already before the firmware upgrade near the end of 2013. It's probably better now but it was a huge deal breaker for me. It's probably better now, no doubt.

3. WB. I don't know if my XE1 was defective but anytime it is indoors, the AWB is just overly warm. I think it is to compensate for nicer skin tones, but I much prefer to have an accurate AWB. Yes, you can manually adjust, but AWB to me is a key factor. I never adjust WB until post (unless I shoot video) and if a system can have accurate AWB, it will always win points in my book. Someone please tell me that the new Fuji's have improved their AWB algorithm on their new system. Not a deal breaker for most, especially if you shoot RAW.

4. Build quality and QC. In less than a year, my extremely lightly used XE1 exhibits squeaky buttons as if I have owned this thing for 10+ years. Probably a one off, but I have noticed the build quality to be subpar. The lens came with some small cosmetic defects but I had to live with that copy because all other copies have noticeable dust inside the element. I know dust is normal, but the sample of copies I encountered didn't inspire confidence for me. Small matter, but a concerning one to me.

5. Somewhat unresponsive. Firmware related probably but the overall menu system and operations just feels kinda choppy. The new XT1 menu didn't change and it just feels kinda slow to change settings. Definitely not the same feeling as the 5D3, D800 or even the A7. Not the end of the world, but worth noting. And this is super minor, but I just don't really like the look of the menu system. I think they need a better marketing and GUI team.

6. EVF. Choppy and laggy on the XE1. Neither the EVF nor the low res screen inspired me much. XT1 probably solved it. Will have to see.

7. X-trans & LR. I think I just got Fuji at the wrong time but the support for LR was limited early last year and it was an awkward decision for me to think if I should shoot JPEG for better IQ or RAW for better WB adjustment. I know there are other softwares but I am stubborn haha. Again, it's probably better now? Please tell me it is.

These are not end-of-world issues but just something to note. Can't always read the pros or you will be brainwashed haha.

I can share my side of the Sony if anyone cares to hear about it here. I'm always lurking here as I see huge potential in the Fuji system. Just not the right time for me to comeback yet. Give me a FF XT1 at $1699 and I an back! But they need to focus on perfecting the APSC lineup first.

dL

Sun Wu Kong's gear list:Sun Wu Kong's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +17 more
khunfred
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
In reply to dL302, 7 months ago

dL302 wrote:

I've only load some RAW files available on the web and have tried some post-processing with LR5: the IQ is really excellent (even at high ISO). I can compare with 5dII, D7000 (my own files) and some others on the net: (Sony A7 for the most recent). IQ are very similar, and over 6400 ISO I don't like any of these cameras. But I've notice a very small but observable latency when post-processing fuji files (even with files of the Xa-1, and this is not a X-trans sensor). By the way, IQ is really impressive for this budget camera.

Maybe I will agree with you on this other points, because I've been trying the first X100 and it was not enough responsive for me, as I'm a dslr user. But since X100 and XE1, things have changed and I think Fuji cameras are ok now. Maybe I will invest in a FUji X100s rather than a Xt1, because I really enjoy the hybrid viewfinder.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads