And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 1,997Gear list
Like?
Re: And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...
In reply to juvx, 6 months ago

juvx wrote:

Mike in Kansas wrote:

juvx wrote:

Mike in Kansas wrote:

I've always felt that Sony is a consumer electronics company, and Fuji is a photo/imaging company. Both make good products, but I feel that Fuji will be more true to their optics roots than Sony will ever be.

Try the A7r with the 55mm FE lens and get back to me. It blows 3000$ DSLRS (5d MK3) with 2000$ lenses away....

Great - they have a good product now. Where will it be in a few years? If I'm going to move from one system (Nikon) to another (Fuji), I want there to be a good possibility that it will still be supported and updated in 5 years or so. I feel that Fuji will do that, Sony not so much. But that is my own opinion that may not be shared by others. If, on the other hand, you feel that cameras are disposable electronics like iPhones, then Sony might suit you fine.

Who said it wont be supported???? wtf is this coming from? haha they simply rebranded the NEX to Alpha... they will still release new e mount lenses.... just no successor to the NEX 7... not sure what the problem is.... Also keep in mind SIGMA makes some GREAT e mount lenses. Iv owned a few and they were great.

There are a lot more companies that make e mount lenses then x mount...Rokinon, Sigma, Sony, Zeiss, Tamron, there about 80 lenses to choose from and more will come out.... not sure what you guys are even talking about? not supported? lol ...

Really, what makes you guys think it E mount wont be supported for many many years to come, explain?

After Sony bought Minolta they trumpeted the idea that all those old Minolta lenses would work on the A mount - and they do. Even today.

However, Sony abandoned the Minolta lenses to the extent that they ever needed repairs of any kind - even to this day. If you asked Sony to repair it, they would respond by telling you to buy a new Sony product.

What this experience teaches us is that while Sony may retain some backward compatibility they really just want you to buy new Sony stuff on a continuous basis.  Which makes good business sense but tends to irritate your user base.  Particularly when lenses can be expected to last for years, if not decades.

So when it comes to NEX, I personally doubt their motivation to fully maintain the line when based on my experiences I strongly suspect that they really want their users to rebuy everything in the new(ish) system.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,315
Like?
Re: Sony = all products and no strategy
In reply to 57even, 6 months ago

You nailed it ! Sony has great technology and makes high quality products, but there are questionable design decisions in the products themselves and a seeming lack of any design when it comes to what products get made.

B6878
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?

Well, the a7R review is posted....and while looking at the Pro1 compared to a7R in low light high ISO, the Sony skin tone is orange, the Fuji looks to be way more accurate.

SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?

juvx wrote:

Tapper123 wrote:

Or perhaps the "incredibly cheap" Sony FE Zeiss 55 F1.8? (Same price as the Fuji 56mm F1.2)

Its a full FRAME LENS.. why cant people grasp that. Because of the sensor size you get a lot more LIGHT.. you'll get MORE light at 1.8 FF in then at 1.2 apsc... Technically its faster.

No, it's not more light. That's the whole point of aperture desigations - they are ratios. f1.2 allows more light than f1.8 in any given time period. That is exactly why bigger apertures are called "fast."

The primary difference at a given aperture with FF is more limited depth of field relative to a smaller sensor.

You are right i was thinking depth of field.

But it does cost more to build a lens that has to project an image circle on a 35mm sensor vs a lens that projects onto a smaller image circle...

webrunner5
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
In reply to Smiller4128, 6 months ago

You might not want the Fuji X-T1 after you look at the new sample photos here at DPR.

webrunner5's gear list:webrunner5's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-A1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 653
Like?
In reply to Dimitriy, 6 months ago

Saying an NEX7 user should be happy with the a6000 as a replacement was like telling a Nikon D300 users they should be happy with the D7000 as a D300 replacement. The D7000 was better in many ways, but it never felt like a D300, and the controls/interface was designed for a less-sophisticated user. Many Nikon shooters still pine for a D400, though the world has moved on.

I'd say a true replacement for the NEX7 would start with the NEX7 body, with extra control wheel, lack of mode dial, and build on that. You can't replace the flagship camera with a downspec'd body and expect everyone to be happy about it.

I don't hang at the Sony forums, but I'd be surprised if you weren't hearing similar things there...

Dimitriy wrote:

a6000 is a replacement for both nex-6 and nex-7. 24mb sensor, better processor, better focus and more robust body actually puts it closer to nex-7. what would a7000 bring? slightly better ovf? the fact that price is from nex-6 is a bonus.

Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: You are a liar....

Smiller4128 wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-trusted-sources-no-a7000-aps-c-e-mount-coming-in-2014-main-focus-on-fe-from-now-on/

No more support for the APS-C in terms of a NEX7 replacement or APS-C lenses...odd considering they just released the A6000....

Can't get my hands on my X100S soon enough! (And my X-T1 when it releases!)

1. No one in that rumor mentions that there will be no more support. Can't you even read?

2. Do you know definition of rumor?

3. A6000 is just released, what more support do you want? Sony is not abandoning APS-C cameras and lenses. There will be more cameras and more lenses.

Now stop trolling.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,311Gear list
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-trusted-sources-no-a7000-aps-c-e-mount-coming-in-2014-main-focus-on-fe-from-now-on/

No more support for the APS-C in terms of a NEX7 replacement or APS-C lenses...odd considering they just released the A6000....

Interesting read. No support? What's up with that?  That will severely impact NEX used market resale price?

And, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about the NEX system. Awful UI. Worst I ever used (RX100)

Just curious, how long have you owned your NEX 6 /NEX 7 (?), and lenses? What do you plan on doing with your NEX kit? Sell or trade in?

Good luck and hope you find enjoyment with your new X100s, and XT-1 kits.   What lenses do you plan to acquire?   They should help you make great images.

Looking forward to seeing some of your Fuji X  pictures posted  here when you get the batteries charged.

Regards and congrats in new cameras, and welcome to the Fuji X System club.   

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +4 more
marvin t martian
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to jcharding, 6 months ago

jcharding wrote:

What this experience teaches us is that while Sony may retain some backward compatibility they really just want you to buy new Sony stuff on a continuous basis.

Frankly that seems to be the foundation of Sony's business model. They're very good at producing very proprietary products that both cost more than the competition and need replacing--either due to breakdown or lack of upward compatibility--more frequently than the competition.

ragmanjin
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?

juvx wrote:

I use both systems. NEX and Fuji and a Sony A7.

Actually Sony is slimming down and going through a transition. They recently sold their PC division and split off their TV one. They will focus more heavily on cameras now as a company. I love both companies but keep in mind the size of Sony vs Fuji... its much easier for Fuji to focus on one system.

Sony is a great company and with its new leaders seems to be heading back on the right track. The PS4 for example is hugely successful.

Except for their pesky manufactured shortage. Was going to buy my wife a PS4 for her birthday Jan. 20...you still can't buy one anywhere in Canada today since they all sold out at the middle of December.

The A6000 looks great and is going to be unbeatable at that PRICE 800$ for the KIT imo. Have you seen the autofocus on that thing? its truly amazing.

Sony's strat seems simple. Sub 1000$ APSC cameras with a ton of new features and true innovation.

Over 1000$ FULL FRAME banking on it being the future (which i agree it is). You can get a sony A7 Kit for 1700$ on ebay... the X-t1 is 1700$ for the kit.. Do you HONESTLY think the X-t1 is better IQ than the FF A7?

Yes. Look:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=sony_a7&attr13_1=fujifilm_xt1&attr13_2=fujifilm_xpro1&attr13_3=sony_slta58&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=3200&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&normalization=full&widget=1&x=-0.04299472598027975&y=0.2757117209540908

lol... And lenses... the 35mm and 55mm (One of the best lens period in the world, check the review) are on par with anything Fuji offers if not better.... Obviously there aren't as many options the system just launched less than 6 months ago...

I really dont like to see people sounding like fuji fanboys. I love fuji and have a x-e1 with the 27mm F2.8 pancake right next to me right now at all times but sony's is on the right track, it will just take time to develop.

Just my two cents.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

ragmanjin's gear list:ragmanjin's gear list
Samsung Pro815 Canon PowerShot G11 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +7 more
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dorkington, 6 months ago

Dorkington wrote:

Fuji and Panasonic better get their butts going then, because Sony supplies Fuji with APS-C sensors.

Personally, I think Sony will continue the E cameras, but it'll just be the sub $1000 line. FE will be the above $1000 line. Lenses for E will be consumer grade. While FE lenses will be more expensive and higher quality. It all makes sense to me, especially when cutting costs and protecting profits.

Your full of Cra_!! Toshiba makes sensors for fuji!!

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 6 months ago

I had a Sony Nex-7, never liked the colors, the lens's and the Menu Interface. All the Nex cameras have major overheating problems, Sony never acknowledged it or attempted to fix it, Should have been a class action suit! I have a Sony VG-20 Camera and 18-200 mm E-Mount lens for sale now on 5 different forums not even a bite! When I sell them, I'm Done with Sony! I have a Panny GH3 and 2 lens's and I love the video and the imaging. I'm going to keep the GH3 and dedicate it to video, it's that good, and I'm going to invest in a Fuji system, just not sure if I want to get an XE-2 now or wait a few months and see if they come out with a 24mp Xpro-2. But I like Fuji!

Adios, Arivadechi, astalavista, GOODBYE SONY!!!

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
zodiacfml
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
As a company...

Smiller4128 wrote:

...this is the most sensible thing for Sony to survive.  I think they're going to focus on FF and higher margin products like what Canon/Nikon does ever since.  I mean, in terms of lens maturity,  Canon and Nikon weren't committed to APS-C format.  This format is severely lacking lenses unless you resort to buying the FF lenses which should be larger and heavier with higher IQ.  Sony appears to be planning this route.

I believe this kind of attitude is warranted because the bulk of DSLR sales comes from the masses which don't buy much lens as a enthusiast or professional.

The A6000 is plenty much for many (not all) people, like the 7d or the 7100........at least in Sony's and Canikon's view.

zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
Re: You are a liar....
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 6 months ago

Donny out of Element here wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

1. No one in that rumor mentions that there will be no more support. Can't you even read?

2. Do you know definition of rumor?

3. A6000 is just released, what more support do you want? Sony is not abandoning APS-C cameras and lenses. There will be more cameras and more lenses.

Now stop trolling.

First off, I can't be a troll if there's a legitimate argument to be made and having said that...

Yes these are based on a "rumors" site but the author knows sources within and around the sony company. His posts may not be 100% accurate but they are based around certain truths.

One of those truths being that, yes Sony has released an APS-C camera, but there's no plan to release any lenses for the APS-C platform for the rest of they year. They may very well release 12 new lenses next year, but if that's the plan then they need to provide their buyers who are invested into their system a measure of reliability and comfort by giving them an updated aps-c lens roadmap for the future, but so far that focus is going entirely to FE lenses. and yes, FE lenses CAN be used for the aps-c model cameras but they cost a ridiculous amount of money if you're looking to stick to APS-C vs. Full Frame

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Biggiep
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: As a company...
In reply to zodiacfml, 6 months ago

zodiacfml wrote:

...this is the most sensible thing for Sony to survive. I think they're going to focus on FF and higher margin products like what Canon/Nikon does ever since. I mean, in terms of lens maturity, Canon and Nikon weren't committed to APS-C format. This format is severely lacking lenses unless you resort to buying the FF lenses which should be larger and heavier with higher IQ. Sony appears to be planning this route.

I believe this kind of attitude is warranted because the bulk of DSLR sales comes from the masses which don't buy much lens as a enthusiast or professional.

The A6000 is plenty much for many (not all) people, like the 7d or the 7100........at least in Sony's and Canikon's view.

Man, you are wrong in just about every way. Do you know how many Canon EF-S lenses exist? Do you realize their EF-S line has higher quality lenses that are more affordable than their Sony A-mount or E-mount counterparts? How do you explain Sony abandoning A-mount too, leaving their SLT users in the dark?

The most expensive EF-S lenses have L lens image quality, just not build quality. And Canon is not going to design $1k+ lenses for their APS-C cameras because most people who can't afford FF bodies won't pay thousands for their lenses either.

The bulk of camera sales does NOT come from full frame. If anything, it comes from APS-C so if Sony is strictly about making money, they should be developing their APS-C cameras further. FF bodies have higher margins, but it doesn't matter because the volume of sales is dwarfed by sales of APS-C. Why do you think Canon is going to such great lengths to not cannibalize sales of their own Rebel line? They have the AF technology now and optical engineering to create a great mirrorless line, but they have no interest in interfering with the best-selling camera line (Rebel) in the world.

Sony has FOUR types of lenses to deal with now: A-mount (APS-C/FF) and E-mount (APS-C/FF). They've been struggling to keep up in A-mount and in the last 3 years started two new types of lenses. Had they used the resources they spent developing SLT on their NEX line their E-mount system would be a lot better right now. Instead, buying into Sony is like buying a lottery ticket. You have a 1 in 4 chance of being picked as Sony's future.

Biggiep's gear list:Biggiep's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to Biggiep, 6 months ago

Its weird the hate sony gets in the Fuji forum, both systems have great cameras, jeez the fanboyism.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
beespeckled
Senior MemberPosts: 2,052Gear list
Like?
Chicken Littles of the world unite!

no text

beespeckled's gear list:beespeckled's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony SLT-A77 Kodak EasyShare P850 Samsung AQ100 +10 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380Gear list
Like?
In reply to pew pew, 6 months ago

pew pew wrote:

Its weird the hate sony gets in the Fuji forum, both systems have great cameras, jeez the fanboyism.

Undeserved, I'm sure. I was just thinking it was weird how many Sony threads there were in the Fuji forum, is this the overspill car-park?

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +8 more
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 6 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

pew pew wrote:

Undeserved, I'm sure. I was just thinking it was weird how many Sony threads there were in the Fuji forum, is this the overspill car-park?

I´m pretty sure thats not true, go there and see if you see a single tread about fuji in the recent history, and if you see any post might be someone considering buying a fuji.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,618Gear list
Like?
In reply to pew pew, 6 months ago

Not sure if it was mentioned in the plethora of earlier posts but Zeiss has announced there are more Touit lenses coming. That's good for both Sony and Fuji (less for Fuji as it competes with their lenses).

Also you realise FE lenses will work on APSc e-mount?

Apart from the fact that they are quite expensive,  they make a lot of sense.

Say you buy 5 Fuji XF lenses. Great. Lovely. What happens when Fuji eventually offers a FF Xtrans or Organic Sensor? Fuji has already said XF won't do FF. I have tested that myself by physically holding a couple of XF lenses in front of my Sony A7r - you get a circle photo where the lens doesn't cover (by the way Sony and Fuji flange distance is almost the same 17.7mm veruss 18mm for Sony - I'd love an adapter that allows Emount and Xmount to interchange).

APSc Sony buyers can then accumulate FE lenses that when many upgrade to FF their lenses are useable and it also gets rid of a major objection to upgrading to FF - I only have APSc compatible lenses.

Perhaps that aspect isn't clear.

I notice Sony has the Klutziest PR Department in the top camera makers. Their message is often lost, not well communicated, slow to respond and seem to cause a lot of upset with their customers because of this. I see it a lot on the Sony forums.

Sony are not good communicators with their public.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads