And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
Re: And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...
In reply to Smiller4128, 10 months ago

Fuji and Panasonic better get their butts going then, because Sony supplies Fuji with APS-C sensors.

Personally, I think Sony will continue the E cameras, but it'll just be the sub $1000 line. FE will be the above $1000 line. Lenses for E will be consumer grade. While FE lenses will be more expensive and higher quality. It all makes sense to me, especially when cutting costs and protecting profits.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vajrasattva
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053Gear list
Like?

I'm hoping to trade my Nex7 body and lenses (including the nice zeiss24) tomorrow for some nice Fuji glass. I like my Sony kit but I love my new XE2 more. I love Fuji colour a lot more than Sony's punchy colours, I like the UI and the platform Too.

Sony my affair wth you was fun while it latest but now it is time to move on.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,244Gear list
Like?
In reply to taz98spin, 10 months ago

taz98spin wrote:

Yes, with the announcement of the A6000 I was seriously considering running a Fuji and Sony system together, but after reading that the true successor to the NEX-7 won't come out till next year, I decided to look towards Samsung or just keep my m43 gear.

Sony is more focused on FF right now to care about APSC..

This is why it is a very bad idea for Fuji to do anything Full Frame related as some users have discussed.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
zither
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, 10 months ago

I have Fuji XE, Sony A7, Sony NEX5 and Sony RX100.

From all these experiences, the answer is simple.

Fuji X appears to be a more mature and balanced system at the moment.

However Sony may win the future since Sony DOES lead the new technology most of the time. Fuji needs to be more active for new tech.

Remember, history doesn’t mean anything in the technology world. Take the example of Motorola or Nokia. They are wiped out by much younger competitors because they refused to move toward when they still could.

zither's gear list:zither's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?

kcamacho11 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Who said it wont be supported???? wtf is this coming from? haha they simply rebranded the NEX to Alpha... they will still release new e mount lenses.... just no successor to the NEX 7... not sure what the problem is.... Also keep in mind SIGMA makes some GREAT e mount lenses. Iv owned a few and they were great.

There are a lot more companies that make e mount lenses then x mount...Rokinon, Sigma, Sony, Zeiss, Tamron, there about 80 lenses to choose from and more will come out.... not sure what you guys are even talking about? not supported? lol ...

Really, what makes you guys think it E mount wont be supported for many many years to come, explain?

E-mount will be supported....but ask yourself this?

Why does Sony keep releasing new APS-C mirrorless cameras, yet no roadmap for pro-grade future E-mount lenses?

The Zeiss 16-70 F4 is $1000, with mixed reviews. Price does not justify it's performance.

The Zeiss Touit's are F1.8 and extremely over-priced.

The Zeiss 24 F1.8 is $1000, while Fuji has F1.4 lenses for less, and now even a fast F1.2.

Where are the weather-sealed APS-C bodies and lenses?

It is clear that Sony is focusing more on Full Frame mirrorless now.

You know you can use the excellent FE mount lenses on any E mount camera right? With amazing results.. just like Canon and NIkon .... they have APC lenses and Pro grade FF lenses (that people use for both APSC and FF cameras)

Why make a pro grade lens for ONLY apsc when you can make it for FF and people can use it on both systems??????

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
juvx
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 10 months ago

Joel Stern wrote:

juvx wrote:

Mike in Kansas wrote:

I've always felt that Sony is a consumer electronics company, and Fuji is a photo/imaging company. Both make good products, but I feel that Fuji will be more true to their optics roots than Sony will ever be.

Try the A7r with the 55mm FE lens and get back to me. It blows 3000$ DSLRS (5d MK3) with 2000$ lenses away....

But do you want to only have a 35mm and a 55mm lens that are of quality to use?

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

For NOW its only been 5 months? 2 more lenses are going to be released in the next 2 months and 3 more by the end of this year.

Did you rather them WAIT and not release the camera at all untill they had 5-6 good lenses? I don't i love my A7.

Technically you can get one of many many adapters and use any lens. Including the X-mount to E-mount... And yes you can do that for the fuji as well with some.

Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
juvx
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 10 months ago

Joel Stern wrote:

Dimitriy wrote:

a6000 is a replacement for both nex-6 and nex-7. 24mb sensor, better processor, better focus and more robust body actually puts it closer to nex-7. what would a7000 bring? slightly better ovf? the fact that price is from nex-6 is a bonus.

I just read it is not a replacement yet for the 7, that is forthcoming....so what does that mean and is it true?

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Yes there will be no replacement for NEX7 this year. A6000 is meant to replace both.

Mike in Kansas
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
In reply to juvx, 10 months ago

juvx wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Who said it wont be supported???? wtf is this coming from? haha they simply rebranded the NEX to Alpha... they will still release new e mount lenses.... just no successor to the NEX 7... not sure what the problem is.... Also keep in mind SIGMA makes some GREAT e mount lenses. Iv owned a few and they were great.

There are a lot more companies that make e mount lenses then x mount...Rokinon, Sigma, Sony, Zeiss, Tamron, there about 80 lenses to choose from and more will come out.... not sure what you guys are even talking about? not supported? lol ...

Really, what makes you guys think it E mount wont be supported for many many years to come, explain?

Why does Sony keep releasing new APS-C mirrorless cameras, yet no roadmap for pro-grade future E-mount lenses?

The Zeiss 16-70 F4 is $1000, with mixed reviews. Price does not justify it's performance.

The Zeiss 24 F1.8 is $1000, while Fuji has F1.4 lenses for less, and now even a fast F1.2.

You know you can use the excellent FE mount lenses on any E mount camera right? With amazing results.. just like Canon and NIkon .... they have APC lenses and Pro grade FF lenses (that people use for both APSC and FF cameras)

Why make a pro grade lens for ONLY apsc when you can make it for FF and people can use it on both systems??????

Because if you make the lens for both APS-C AND FF it will be BIG.  Part of the allure of a COMPACT System Camera is the small diminutive size.  I dare say, I surely don't want to hang a 70-200 f/2.8 FF Nikkor off of my X-E1 - that's what my D300 is for.  The value prop for CSC is high performance AND small.

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?

juvx wrote:

Oh great!!!

Do you mean the amazingly large and "blazing fast" Sony FE 28-70 F3.5-F5.6 kit lens?

Or perhaps the "incredibly cheap" Sony FE Zeiss 55 F1.8? (Same price as the Fuji 56mm F1.2)

Or the "tiny" telezoom Sony FE 70-200 F4?  Good luck lugging that one around.

kcamacho11
Like?
In reply to Mike in Kansas, 10 months ago

Mike in Kansas wrote:

I dare say, I surely don't want to hang a 70-200 f/2.8 FF Nikkor off of my X-E1 - that's what my D300 is for. The value prop for CSC is high performance AND small.

+ 1000000

juvx
Like?

kcamacho11 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Oh great!!!

Do you mean the amazingly large and "blazing fast" Sony FE 28-70 F3.5-F5.6 kit lens?

The fuji isn't tiny either.... However much much better i must admit the A7 kit lens is trash.

Or perhaps the "incredibly cheap" Sony FE Zeiss 55 F1.8? (Same price as the Fuji 56mm F1.2)

Its a full FRAME LENS.. why cant people grasp that. Because of the sensor size you get a lot more LIGHT.. you'll get MORE light at 1.8 FF in then at 1.2 apsc... Technically its faster.

Or the "tiny" telezoom Sony FE 70-200 F4? Good luck lugging that one around.

Its huge, but again... full frame.... Optically i bet it will rival any other 70-200 F4 FF lens ever made and be smaller...

juvx
Like?
In reply to Dorkington, 10 months ago

Dorkington wrote:

Fuji and Panasonic better get their butts going then, because Sony supplies Fuji with APS-C sensors.

Personally, I think Sony will continue the E cameras, but it'll just be the sub $1000 line. FE will be the above $1000 line. Lenses for E will be consumer grade. While FE lenses will be more expensive and higher quality. It all makes sense to me, especially when cutting costs and protecting profits.

People on here don't realize that Sony makes most of their money in the imaging department selling sensors not cameras lol... the Sony A7 is the Nikon D610 and the A7r is the D800E.. sensor wise...

This also means they can sell those sensors in THEIR cameras for less. That's why the A6000 is much cheaper then the NEX 6 was when it came out.

Like Intel they get more and more efficient at producing sensors and processors making it cheaper for them to produce over time.

Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?

Its a full FRAME LENS.. why cant people grasp that. Because of the sensor size you get a lot more LIGHT.. you'll get MORE light at 1.8 FF in then at 1.2 apsc... Technically its faster.

No, it's not more light. That's the whole point of aperture desigations - they are ratios. f1.2 allows more light than f1.8 in any given time period. That is exactly why bigger apertures are called "fast." Sensor size has no bearing. f1.8 is f1.8 in terms of light allowed in a given time regardless of sensor size.

The primary difference at a given aperture with FF is more limited depth of field relative to a smaller sensor.

So, the Fuji at f1.2 is faster than the Sony at f1.8, but they will be similar wide open in terms of DOF.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
juvx
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 10 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

No, it's not more light. That's the whole point of aperture desigations - they are ratios. f1.2 allows more light than f1.8 in any given time period. That is exactly why bigger apertures are called "fast."

The primary difference at a given aperture with FF is more limited depth of field relative to a smaller sensor.

You are right i was thinking depth of field.

Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?

juvx wrote:

Tapper123 wrote:

No, it's not more light. That's the whole point of aperture desigations - they are ratios. f1.2 allows more light than f1.8 in any given time period. That is exactly why bigger apertures are called "fast."

You are right i was thinking depth of field.

Yeah, that's what I figured. It's interesting because the Fuji and the Sony will have approximately the same DOF wide open, but the Fuji will be able to expose at a relatively faster shutter speed.

At the end of the day they are both very good lenses.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
B6878
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?

juvx wrote:

Over 1000$ FULL FRAME banking on it being the future (which i agree it is).

From my perspective, I was buying into APS-C based on the general scale. All things being equal, the form factor and lens will [should] be smaller and lighter. I realize that the product offerings (like from Sony) can defy this logic none the less. Realize that the extra resolution is of little value for what I do.

Do you HONESTLY think the X-t1 is better IQ than the FF A7?

Once again, given that I don't need the extra resolution, things like skin tone are really important for me and Fuji appears to excel at that. There was some concern that the 2nd generation Fuji sensor was not quite as good as the original for skin tones and I have stuck with my X-E1 for that reason. I think this myth was later dismissed though, but please let me know if anyone still feels this way.

I couldn't say first hand, but from what I've read over the years, Sony comes out with great headliner announcements that are let down by their poor processing. Then Nikon or Fuji gets their hands on the same sensor (in some cases) and improves greatly on what Sony originally created. If this is true, then the likes of Nikon and Fuji will always be one step behind, but might be worth waiting for.

juvx
Like?
A7r just got reviewed on this site... gold
In reply to vajrasattva, 10 months ago

Like i said.

both companies are great and ahead of the pack imo. Ill throw Olympus and Panasonic in there too.

juvx
Like?
In reply to B6878, 10 months ago

B6878 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Over 1000$ FULL FRAME banking on it being the future (which i agree it is).

From my perspective, I was buying into APS-C based on the general scale. All things being equal, the form factor and lens will [should] be smaller and lighter. I realize that the product offerings (like from Sony) can defy this logic none the less. Realize that the extra resolution is of little value for what I do.

The A7 really doesn't have that much more resolution. 24.3 MP. It has better depth of field and low light performance due to its huge sensor.

Do you HONESTLY think the X-t1 is better IQ than the FF A7?

Once again, given that I don't need the extra resolution, things like skin tone are really important for me and Fuji appears to excel at that. There was some concern that the 2nd generation Fuji sensor was not quite as good as the original for skin tones and I have stuck with my X-E1 for that reason. I think this myth was later dismissed though, but please let me know if anyone still feels this way.

I think the second gen is just as good for what iv seen. With better autofocus and other advantages. Although im on the fence too. I have a X-E1 not sure if I should upgrade.

I couldn't say first hand, but from what I've read over the years, Sony comes out with great headliner announcements that are let down by their poor processing. Then Nikon or Fuji gets their hands on the same sensor (in some cases) and improves greatly on what Sony originally created. If this is true, then the likes of Nikon and Fuji will always be one step behind, but might be worth waiting for.

Its a valid statement. But also means the Sonys will always have a bit more value (cheaper for the same sensor)

kcamacho11
Like?

juvx wrote:

Oh great!!!

The fuji isn't tiny either.... However much much better i must admit the A7 kit lens is trash.

Come again?

http://camerasize.com/compact/#520.359,487.396,ha,t

Then what the hell is the point in putting that FE lens on an APS-C Sony mirrorless camera?

Or the "tiny" telezoom Sony FE 70-200 F4? Good luck lugging that one around.

Its huge, but again... full frame.... Optically i bet it will rival any other 70-200 F4 FF lens ever made and be smaller...

Again, then what the hell is the point in putting that huge FE lens on an APS-C Sony mirrorless camera?

You are going in circles.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,107
Like?

I can think of reasons to switch (someone nailed it in his subject line with "Sony = all products, no strategy"). But the last thing in the world I'd do is anything based on a post on SAR.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads